New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

Alyssa grumbles, "Nice enough for people that kidnapped and drugged up a girl to throw into a volcano, you mean?"

2. - Top - End - #692
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Wrong crowd, Alyssa. Vorgrimler and his party were visitors to the camp, just like us. Not friends of tossing people into volcanoes from what I could tell."

3. - Top - End - #693
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will respond sleepily, 'Those people who rode into camp yesterday came up from the south. There's a man down there who calls himself an Emperor if you can believe it.'

4. - Top - End - #694
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As Gabrielle rests, she remembers seeing the insides of the "leaves" of some of the spiny plants she's passed. They were soggy and pulpy, but Gabrielle realizes that eating the right kind of those plants might provide a little water. Difficult to survive on, for sure, and certainly not enough for Bertrand, but it would probably keep the people watered. Maybe. Other than that, she knows the general direction to the lake that they had camped by.. was it last night? No, the night before that. With the hot springs all around, and dead wood floating in the lake. Still, it was water enough for everyone.

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

As the rest of the rescue party goes to sleep, Severin does his best to stay awake for an hour or two, scanning for any signs of pursuit. As tiredness begins to overtake him, he goes to wake one of the soldiers. "Wake up, soldier. Your turn to keep watch for a couple of hours. If you think you're going to nod off, pick a friend keep watch together."

Perception test vs. Int 39 (1d100)[45]

6. - Top - End - #696
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The party rests in the meager shade during the hottest part of the day. The watchers report no sign of pursuit. Once the sun is much lower in the sky, and the burning heat wanes somewhat, Gabrielle finds some of the spiny plants she recognizes, and they cut them open and chew the soggy pulp inside. It doesn't taste particularly good, but there is sufficient moisture inside to perk everyone up without using too much more of the meager water supplies. Deciding that they cannot continue without restocking water, they head southwest towards the lake. It takes some time to find the path to the lake in the dark, and occasionally they have to stop and backtrack as they find themselves trying to cross some of the rocky ground. Nevertheless, at around midnight, they see the white light of Mannslieb glinting on the lake. Still no sign of pursuers. There they stop for a little rest, drink their fill, and restock their waterskins and canteens. While resting, Elodie tells you her story.

"I was up at the creek, gathering some herbs, when I decided to take a bath in the pond. While I was there, some men came out of the hills, pointed bows at me, and told me to come with them. They tied me up and made me walk for nearly a day, until I cut my foot on a rock. After that, they carried me. They said I was chosen to be the bride of Azariah. Which didn't make sense since, you know, it's just a mountain. Once we got there, the old guy, their leader looked me over and said I would do. He said that it was an honor, but I didn't want to. He said they were tired of choosing their own daughters to be his bride, and so they decided to find an outsider this year, whatever that means. Anyway, they fed me some stuff, and then things started to get a little hazy. I was dreaming, but I don't really remember much. I remember the ride out one the horse, and Jan coming to my rescue..." she runs her hand up Jan's arm.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Yeah, you we're real lucky Jan decided to come rescue you," Severin notes with a sly look at the soldier. "Plenty o' folk back in your village were pretty much ready to give you up for dead - present company excepted, of course - until us outsiders decided to stick our noses in," he continues with a nod to village boys.

"As for what those lunatics back there were planning for you, as best as we can tell, they drop a girl into the volcano every year. I can understand if they got tired of doing that to their own, though obviously that's small comfort for anyone else they decide to grab. My name's Severin, by the way, and these two fine ladies are Gabriele and Alyssa. Alyssa's the one that snuck you out o' the camp while the rest of us were providing a...distraction. The standoffish fellow over there is Torendil. He's an elf, in case you've never met one before."

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ettin in the Playground

'Let's never come here again.' Gabriele mutters between chewing on the plant. It was better then nothing but they should have been better prepared to come here.

To Elodie, 'Welcome back. You've been saying a lot of odd things since we found you. Normally I'd say you should get some rest but...' She gestures absently at the surrounding landscape. 'Isn't that convenient that they only sacrifice daughters to the mountain. Somehow that's easier for them then moving somewhere else.'

9. - Top - End - #699
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Drop me in a volcano?" Elodie says. "Is that what they said they were doing? I though, I dunno, I'd have to marry some old geezer or something. Well, thanks for helping Jan rescue me."

After the party has rested and refilled their canteens, they strike out once more to the west. As before, Gabrielle carefully watches behind them, and spends some time concealing their trail. She sees no signs of pursuit. The next day sees the party reach the foot of the pass heading through the mountains, and the following day finds them in the broad plains of the Igerang valley. Food and game are more plentiful there, and Gabrielle and the archer each bring down a goose for supper. The journey is largely uneventful, marred only be a fistfight that night between Jan and Louis. Elodie watches it with a wry smile as the fight is broken up by the others. It is early morning as the party fords the Igerang river again and heads towards Courville. The villagers are in the fields, scything through the wheat as you approach the village.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"So, you want us to announce our triumphant return home, Miss Elodie, or do you have family you want to talk to in peace first?"

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "Drop me in a volcano?" Elodie says. "Is that what they said they were doing? I though, I dunno, I'd have to marry some old geezer or something. Well, thanks for helping Jan rescue me."
    'Just be more careful of strange men.' At some point she'll talk to Severin and Alyssa in private. 'Do you think those people will try again at some point? Unless their god smited them all for missing a sacrifice.'

Outside Courville she'll approach the nearest villager to ask them if Sir Laurens and his retinue were still around.

12. - Top - End - #702
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"A triumphant return? I like the sound of that," she says.

Gabrielle approaches the group of villagers in the fields. They pause their work, leaning on their scythes. Gabrielle asks about Sir Bremcote, and the villager looks over the small group. "So, you've returned? The young lord left for castle Bremcote a few days ago."

13. - Top - End - #703
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Who knows?" Severin answers Gabriele before she heads over to speak to the villagers. "Maybe they'll decide it's not worth the trouble and go back to their old ways. In any case, we can warn Sir Laurens when we catch up with him and maybe spread the word here as well, though this sorry lot don't seem like they'd do much except mope if the crazy cultists return. Present company excepted, of course," he placates Elodie and the village boys who had shown themselves to be made of sterner stuff.

Severin laughs at Elodie's response. "A triumphant return for the young lady it shall be then... just as soon as Gabriele's done chitchatting with yon field hands."

OOC: Once Gabriele is done, Severin will take Bertrand's reins and guide Elodie and the pony to what passes for the village square. He'll also have the soldiers and village boys form up into a column and march behind Bertrand. As they start moving through the village he'll go full town crier ("Hear ye! Hear ye!") and announce the triumphant return of Miss Elodie and her noble rescuers, name dropping himself, Gabriele and Alyssa, as well as Jan and the "brave soldiers of Lord Bremcote".

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ettin in the Playground

To Severin, 'As long as they know enough to keep a look out. No point in making it easier for those people to kidnap more women.'

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "So, you've returned? The young lord left for castle Bremcote a few days ago."
    This wasn't especially surprising. 'I'm sure we'll catch him up.' Jan and the other soldiers probably knew where it was. 'I know the Bremcotes are in charge but does anyone run things when they're not here?'

15. - Top - End - #705
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa shakes her head and shrugs as she replies to Gabriele, "Probably. The village should keep a closer watch on things for a while. Somehow, I doubt that the volcano came to life and actually killed anyone in that camp. But they will be very angry and out for revenge."

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The farmhand says, "Old Mathieu is the headman, he usually makes decisions if summat needs to be done. Makes sure the lord's share is counted for him when he shows up after the harvest." The leader of the farmhand yells at them to get back to work, and they shrug, get back in line, and start their work again.

Once they enter the small village square, Severin makes his bold announcement. Most of the menfolk are out in the fields, naturally, but the remaining villagers crowd around them. Elodie's parents show up, and give effusive thanks to Severin, Gabrielle and Alyssa, before hustling Elodie off back to their hut. They are somewhat colder to the two soldiers, however. The village headman also shows up. He scowls a bit at the village lads and says, "We're behind on the harvest. Go up to Livremore's fields and start working. Still got half a day left of sunlight." He turns to Severin, Alyssa and Gabrielle. "Suppose I should be thanking ye for rescuing our little troublemaker from those bandits, so thank ye. Did you get rid of the bandits for us?"

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionbound View Post
    Alyssa shakes her head and shrugs as she replies to Gabriele, "Probably. The village should keep a closer watch on things for a while. Somehow, I doubt that the volcano came to life and actually killed anyone in that camp. But they will be very angry and out for revenge."
    Gabriele looks unconvinced. Who could tell what a weird southern god might be capable of.

To Mathieu, 'Wasn't bandits.' Who might have been easier to deal with. 'Some of the villages over the mountains have taken to kidnapping. They're the ones who carried off Elodie.' She wasn't sure she could begin to explain the volcano. 'It's a bit of a walk for them to get out here but you all should probably keep an eye out. Just in case.'

18. - Top - End - #708
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Yup. I'm afraid there were far too many of them to fight. We learned that they sacrifice a girl every year to a volcano they call Azariah. Apparently they got tired of dropping their own folk into the volcano, so they decided to look elsewhere. Maybe they'll reconsider after how things went this time, but you never know," Severin notes. "And for what it's worth - your little troublemaker didn't get herself into trouble this time round. She got kidnapped, plain and simple. Could have been any village girl out doing chores."

19. - Top - End - #709
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa smiles winningly at the headman and replies, nodding to confirm Gabriele's story, "Indeed. I must say, where I'm from it's customary to celebrate such events with a place of honor for the heroes. Is that the case here as well?"

20. - Top - End - #710
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"There's people still alive out there? I thought they all died, or fled..." the headman thinks for a few minutes. "Aye, we'll keep our own watch, thanking ye. Suppose you'll want to spend the night afore you leave tomorrow, is that it? We'll feast you, as best we can. And give you some supplies for your journey."

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A surprising number, in fact, considering the state of the place," Severin answers Mathieu. "A warm meal and a proper bed would do wonders for me, and supplies for our journey will be most welcome."

22. - Top - End - #712
    Ettin in the Playground

'I'm honestly not sure what they've all been eating.' Gabriele adds. 'Any food you could spare would be welcome.'

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You are largely left alone for the rest of the day. The priest, Konrad, that had stayed behind in the village, thanks you for rescuing the girl and bringing some peace between the camps. "Sigmar has led me here to serve a guide for these refugees, that I swear. I will pray for your success, and theirs as well," he says. That night, a table is placed on the village green. Simple fare, but filling. A few flagons of ale are passed around, but soon the weary villagers file off to rest for the next day's labor. You are free to make camp outside. A few villagers stop by to congratulate you. You can't help but notice that the village is still separated between the native locals and the Imperial refugees, but only time will bridge that gap.

The next morning, the villagers head out to the fields to continue the harvest. A mess of pottage is cooking on the communal hearth, and you are free to help yourself. You also find a few day's rations packed for you, hard cheese and harder breads with some dried jerky and fruit to supplement. Leaving the village behind, you head south. The road south is better than it was to the north of the village, wider and more well-traveled. You can tell by the deep ruts left by cart traffic. A mile or two passes uneventfully. Severin, atop his pony, has his eyes forward, while Gabrielle and Alyssa scan the flanks. To their surprise, they see a cloaked figure duck behind a low ridge.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa enjoys the feast, smiling, nodding, and socializing with the villagers, attempting to really sell her status as a hero, despite the simple fair. She also does what she can to try to bring the Imperial refugees and villagers together, knowing what it feels like to be on the run and relying on the kindness of strangers to survive.

The next day as they travel, she squints as she sees the cloaked figure and says to Severin, trying not to give up that she'd seen the figure, "We're being followed. Don't react."

25. - Top - End - #715
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

During the feast, Severin regales anyone who'll listen with tales of the horrid state of the lands beyond the mountain, exclaiming again and again how surely only madmen and cannibals could survive out there. It's no proper place for a Halfling, that's for sure! Otherwise he tucks in, making sure to get a solid meal before tomorrow's journey.

In the morning, he fills up on liberal helpings of pottage before they set off. Esmeralda knows when they'll get a proper home cooked meal next time, and besides, a Halfling cannot march on a single breakfast alone! (Not if he can help it, at least.)

When Alyssa points out the watcher, Severin shrugs. "Could be we were followed, could be we're walking into an ambush. I suppose we'll find out soon enough. Hey! Is that a rabbit over there? Gabriele! Bet you I can hit it before you do!" he calls out, pointing in the opposite direction from the watcher. Letting go of Bertrand's reins, he quickly unloops his sling, loads it, and lets fly into the long grass. "Bollocks! Missed by a mile!" he exclaims. "But maybe there'll be more soon? I wouldn't mind a nice rabbit for dinner," he continues. Grabbing Bertrand's reins again, he keeps his sling in hand this time.

OOC: In case it isn't clear, Severin's song and dance is just to provide a pretext for him to arm himself and invite Gabriele to do the same.

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ettin in the Playground

On the previous day Gabriele will try and gather materials to restock her quiver. Her attempts to make her own arrows were never as effective as they should be but it would have to do until she could find an actual bowyer. At the feast she will let Alyssa and Severin take the lead in talking up their heroism. Sure they had brought Elodie back, but they mostly been lucky.

On the road she will calmly notch an arrow and make a show of looking for a rabbit. 'Don't worry, I'll get it eventually.' Then in a lower voice while consciously not looking towards their pursuer, 'Did anyone see Elodie around before we left? I mean, I'm not saying that's who it is, but if I lived in a place like that.' If he was still with them she'll glance at Jan, 'She say anything to you?'

'Anyway I can drop back a bit if you want? See if I can get a better look.'

27. - Top - End - #717
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Not a bad idea. Just don't get yourself killed or captured. I've had enough of daring rescues for now," Severin answers. "And I suppose it could be her. She wouldn't be the first lass to tire of country living. Not much in the way of big cities to run off to down here, though."

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "And I suppose it could be her. She wouldn't be the first lass to tire of country living. Not much in the way of big cities to run off to down here, though."
    'Oh I'm aware, but we all have to start somewhere.' Gabriele will look around for anywhere further ahead where she could hide and get a look at anyone following them. In a louder voice, 'Keep going and I'll see if I can get us some food for later.' While trying not to be obvious about it, she'll head off to where ever she might be able to get a better view of anyone following them.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Not going directly towards the ridge because I don't want to get in any fights

Concealment vs. Ag 48 (+10 Rover)
    (1d100)[36]

Perception vs. Int 38 (+20 Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[58]

Outdoor Survival if there are actual rabbits
    vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[25]

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Before leaving, Severin sees a few villagers arguing with the headman. "...cannibals and mutants, he said! We need to get protection from the castle..." "..you want soldiers living in your houses, eating your food?" "Better than mutants..." It seems that his lurid tales have had some effect on the village.

Gabrielle talks with Jan. "Ah, her parents had her locked up, practically. Tried to talk to her so we could, uh, you know, but they wouldn't let her out. She always did say she wanted to see the big city. Castle Bremcote's pretty big," Jan adds, defensively. While Severin makes a show of hunting, Gabrielle slips away as the road curves, when she's out of sight. She finds an easy hiding spot, not so close as to be in stabbing range, but not so far as to be completely lost. She spies a hare, quietly munching on some leaves ahead. While she readies her shot, she also sees the movement of the cloaked figure, still shadowing the group. But not close enough to see details.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ettin in the Playground

To Jan, 'I'm not sure if that would have stopped her.' Having passed through Altdorf on the way south she'll keep her opinions on what constituted a big city to herself.

She'll leave the hare alone regretfully. Once she's satisfied the cloaked figure is alone she'll try and follow and make out some details.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Silent Move vs. Ag 48 (+10 rover)
    (1d100)[58]

Perception as I don't think there's Scrutiny
    vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[36]