New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4294445464748495051525354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1912
  1. - Top - End - #1591
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

"Yes, that's Leonidas. He built this place... well, convinced Heraklon to build it, I reckon. After Heraklon had died Thrakdul Grimfeet... that's the dwarf, he and Leonidas were good friends, Thrakdul brought the painting as a present to him. The Green witch came with them, too. I don't know anything about the Red Temple," she adds, "But Leonidas was with Heraklon from the beginning. He convinced the halfling tribes to rise up with Heraklon... and to shelter him from the old masters." Flora spends some time talking about how the Goodchild clan settled around Stralwald and of the geneology of the later generations.

Gabriele, perhaps distracted by the patter, and observing it at a distance, doesn't really notice anything unusual. Severin on the other hand, with a few decades of practice tuning out genealogical patter, takes a closer look at the red banner. It looks like it has writing on it. He also thinks back to the other paintings he saw in in Duke Bremcote's office. He vaguely remembers that they had similar red banners in them. He didn't inspect those as closely, but he's fairly certain there was writing on them as well.

2. - Top - End - #1592
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Your Leonidas sounds like a Halfling with his head and his heart in the right place," Severin compliments Flora. "Gabriele and me, we've seen Chaos up close in the Empire and we've seen the Red Temple. Overthrowing the old masters was the right thing to do, no matter what."

"Say, is that writing on those banners in the painting? You wouldn't happen to know how to read?" he asks Flora, his tone hopeful.

3. - Top - End - #1593
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele nods. It was self evident that people should put their concerns aside for something like that. 'It's a shame the Elf isn't still with us.' She says pointing at the Green Witch. 'How long ago was this anyway? If there were Dwarfs there some of them might still be around. Or at least they might keep records.'

4. - Top - End - #1594
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I know my letters," she says, "But I think that's written in Dwarvish. The dwarves useta come by here when pa was a kid, but they haven't come to buy since the long winters. They live out east." Crossly, to Gabriele, she adds "Weren't you listening? I just said. That were in the time of Leonidas and his sons Zaharias and Agnellus, about 240 years ago? Ol' Leo died shortly after and Zaharias had married Willow Greensleeves. They took over the inn while Agnellus moved downriver to Appledel, but he came back a few years later after his mill burnt down. Then he married..." she keeps going for a bit.

5. - Top - End - #1595
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Guess we'll have to find ourselves a Dwarf then," Severin chuckles. "Is there anything in the building I could use to make a copy of the writing? I don't read, I'm afraid, but I've copied messages before."

6. - Top - End - #1596
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele rubs her eyes sleepily wondering how Flora kept track of all that, 'Sorry, it's been a day.' To Severin, 'Makes sense. We copy it well enough we don't have to read it. Mum could read a bit but she never got round to teaching it to me. Probably not much for Dwarfish though.' To Flora, 'These Dwarves friendly? A lot of the ones that passed through town back home tended to be ...grumpy.'

7. - Top - End - #1597
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Flora ducks behind a few boxes and comes out a few moments later with a charcoal stick. She carefully copies the dwarven runes onto an old scrap of cloth and hands it to Severin. To Gabriele, she says, "I dunno, I never seen them. Suppose pa might have dealt with them in the old days."

8. - Top - End - #1598
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, this has been most enlightening, but I think it's time for all of us to find a spot to rest our heads," Severin says with a nod at Gabriele. "Thank you for showing us this, Flora."

9. - Top - End - #1599
    Ettin in the Playground

'I won't tell anyone this is here. If there's actually a clue to finding a horde of treasure in there somewhere I wouldn't want to go giving anyone ideas.'

10. - Top - End - #1600
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Flora looks as if she is going to say something, but after a moment she starts yawning. She looks exhausted as well. She follows Gabirele and Severin out of the attic with the lantern and bids you good night. Gabriele and Severin go off to their room, where they sleep soundly.

As again, they wake to the smell of apple blossoms drifting on the summer air. Heading down to the main room, they eat a simple breakfast while all around them the villagers go about their morning routine. Sir Florian leads a team of men out of the village carrying shovels. A few minutes later, Sir Laurens comes over to Gabriele and Severin and drops a parcel of letters on the table, followed by a bag.

"With Morillo and Nafisse too injured to travel, I'd like the two of you to travel to Bremcote and deliver this report to my father. In addition, deliver the second letter to Quartermaster Carbey. He'll make sure it gets sent on to Pat.. Sir Leclair, I mean. And finally, Alyssa asked me to send this letter to le Houet." Sir Laurents ties the letters together again and pushes them over.

"Also, here is your pay. A full month's wages, 8 gc for each of you. That should cover the journey back home as well. And, uh, as far as your share of the salvage, Alyssa suggested that I give you Colten's gun. It seems to be broken, and since dad doesn't approve of guns, you won't be able to get it fixed in Bremcote. Alyssa thought that the Tilean merchant Beltramo might buy it off you, or if you could find a dwarf..." he taps the side of the stock, where there are more of those dwarven letters worked into the wood in silver. "That's dwarvish writing, I reckon. They might buy it, or know how to fix it."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    For successfully defending the village, take 400 xp. You've been paid your wages for the adventure, and been given Colten's gun as a reward. It's a fine looking piece, of the best craftdwarfship, but it looks damaged. None of you know how to use the piece as far as I'm aware. Also there's a new post in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by dojango; 2021-06-21 at 08:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1601
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "Also, here is your pay. A full month's wages, 8 gc for each of you. That should cover the journey back home as well. And, uh, as far as your share of the salvage, Alyssa suggested that I give you Colten's gun. It seems to be broken, and since dad doesn't approve of guns, you won't be able to get it fixed in Bremcote. Alyssa thought that the Tilean merchant Beltramo might buy it off you, or if you could find a dwarf..." he taps the side of the stock, where there are more of those dwarven letters worked into the wood in silver. "That's dwarvish writing, I reckon. They might buy it, or know how to fix it."
    Gabriele thanks Sir Laurens, 'I'm not sure I approve of it either, but I'd say it's better that someone holds on to it. That thing's dangerous. I don't suppose Mistress Le Houet knows any Dwarves?'

12. - Top - End - #1602
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I've no doubt a weapon like this would be worth a bundle, back in the Empire. Out here though?" Severin voices his doubts. "Still, if we could get it fixed we might be able to trade it for something we can use, eh? Sir Laurens, we heard that there are dwarves living out east. Would you happen to know anything about that?"

13. - Top - End - #1603
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin and Sir Laurens pause to think about what they know about the dwarves. They mostly live in the easternmost valley, although there are rumors that ruined dwarf fortresses dot the hills and mountains. Sir Laurens says, "They don't come round to these parts no more. I remember when I was a kid, you know, I was playing outside dad's study and I probably wasn't supposed to hear, but Miss le Houet was telling dad not to do business with them anymore."

Severin and Gabriele have some time to say their good-byes. Morillo is awake and gives Gabriele a weak salute, while Nafisse is asleep, but breathing well. The human villagers are finishing up the mass grave for their fallen, and as Gabriele and Severin head into the woods they can see a plume of smoke rising from the pyre containing the bodies of the fallen bandits. And then they plunge into the depths of the forest and get hopelessly lost.

It doesn't help that both Gabriele and Severin are plagued by nightmares. Gabriele keeps seeing that fight with Colten in her dreams... except he laughs off her blows, and she sees that club coming down towards her head. While Severin keeps seeing the blankly staring bodies of the dead as the dirt is shoveled over them... only to realize that his own face is among them. What should have been a 5 or 6 day journey ends up taking a full 8-day week as they are forced to backtrack several times before Gabriele finds the path that the herders of the southern hills follow to drive their flocks to Bremcote. But on the mid-morning of the eigth day, they see the hearthfires of Castle Bremcote rising up from a few miles away. At the gates, a bored soldier looks at them and grunts, "2 copper per leg."

14. - Top - End - #1604
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Severin and Sir Laurens pause to think about what they know about the dwarves. They mostly live in the easternmost valley, although there are rumors that ruined dwarf fortresses dot the hills and mountains. Sir Laurens says, "They don't come round to these parts no more. I remember when I was a kid, you know, I was playing outside dad's study and I probably wasn't supposed to hear, but Miss le Houet was telling dad not to do business with them anymore."
    'There's a story there. I wonder if she'll tell us what happened?'

As they were saying their goodbyes Gabriele resists the urge to give Morillo a hug and will awkwardly return the salute. At least he and Nafisse seemed to be getting better. On the way out of Stralwald she ask Severin, 'So..do you like her? Or was I imagining things?' Getting back into the forest usually puts Gabriele in a good mood.

Although evidently that wouldn't last and as the nightmares begin she finds herself growing inattentive and missing even basic trails. Somehow she manages to lead them into what seems like all the thickest parts of the forest and frequently loses track of what direction they were going in. She is increasingly tired looking but she is mostly frustrated at herself. By the standards of the northern Empire this was barely a forest. She felt like Taal and Rhya ought to owe her for Colten, but perhaps she had something top make up for.

At Castle Bremcote she's not irritable enough that she's not immediately willing to pay up, 'What? Really? That wasn't a thing last time was it?'

15. - Top - End - #1605
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'There's a story there. I wonder if she'll tell us what happened?'
    "We can ask her when we get back," Severin grunts. "Unless she speaks Khazalid or knows someone who does, I'm guessing we're going to have to go look for a literate dwarf whether she likes it or not."

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    As they were saying their goodbyes Gabriele resists the urge to give Morillo a hug and will awkwardly return the salute. At least he and Nafisse seemed to be getting better. On the way out of Stralwald she ask Severin, 'So..do you like her? Or was I imagining things?'
    "Who, Flora?" Severin starts. "Well, I mean...I...she's very nice, very pretty...but...she's a youngling for Esmeralda's sake!"

"I'm fifty-two, Gabriele. That's like thirty-odd years if I were a human. Flora, she can't have been a day over thirty herself. Besides, it would only have ended in tears. I wasn't planning on settling down in Stralwald and I doubt Belisarius would have been too happy to see his little girl go off gallivanting with some foreign troublemaker," he says, cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Castle Bremcote
    "We're here on business from the Duke's son. Would you be charging him 2 coppers a leg as well?" Severin answers sullenly.

16. - Top - End - #1606
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"We charge a toll on visitors an' merchants," says the guard. "But not to his lordship's soldiers and servants. Of course not." He asks to see the sealed message, and when shown the packet, the guard immediately starts shouting at the crowd around the gate to make way for the messenger. He chuckles and says, "Next time jes' show us the sealed packet and you won't haveta wait in line." A few other guards help push the crowd out of the way, clearing a space for the two messengers and their mounts.

17. - Top - End - #1607
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "Who, Flora?" Severin starts. "Well, I mean...I...she's very nice, very pretty...but...she's a youngling for Esmeralda's sake!"

"I'm fifty-two, Gabriele. That's like thirty-odd years if I were a human. Flora, she can't have been a day over thirty herself. Besides, it would only have ended in tears. I wasn't planning on settling down in Stralwald and I doubt Belisarius would have been too happy to see his little girl go off gallivanting with some foreign troublemaker," he says, cheeks flushed with embarrassment.
    Gabriele is mostly curious, 'Which would still make her older then me. I admit I had no idea. I think you're older then both my parents.'

At the gate she'll nod gratefully at the guards. Having any kind of authority was weird.

18. - Top - End - #1608
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, yes, obviously older than you in years, but that's because us Halflings live longer than you Tall Folk. Even if Flora were a full thirty years old, that would make her about the same as a twenty-year-old human," Severin tries to explain. "I mean, I'm not old old, but still too old for her, don't you think?"

"Aye, right you are," Severin answers the guard. With a click of his tongue and a light tug on the reins, he guides Bertrand into the crowded streets.

19. - Top - End - #1609
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The small city's streets are bustling with the hum of everyday life. From the southwest entrance to the city they can smell the nearby tanneries. To the right, narrow alleyways lead to the docks, while the main avenue leads both towards the Duke's castle as well as Half-town, the halfling quarter. The weary travellers head north towards the castle's well fortified entrance. Several guards scrutinize the packet of messages a little more carefully, before pointing you in the direction of a bored-looking clerk's office. Inside the clerk's office, he asks you exactly who you're delivering messages to. And who the messages are from.

20. - Top - End - #1610
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will see to her horse before finding someone to give the letters to. 'The Duke and the Quartermaster for starters. Sir Laurens has news for them from Stralwald. If neither of them are around there's another one for Mistress Le Houet. There was a battle down south. They'll want to hear about it.'

21. - Top - End - #1611
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin also sees to it that Bertrand gets taken care of before following Gabriele to the clerk's office. Inside, he merely nods in agreement at Gabriele's statement.

22. - Top - End - #1612
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A stablehand takes your horses away to be fed and watered at the Duke's stable. Once you talk to the clerk, he blinks in surprise and says, "A battle, you say? I will inform his lordship." He excuses himself and directs the two of you to wait in the hallway. Where you wait. And wait. And wait some more. After about an hour, maybe a little more, the clerk comes back. "His lordship will see you now."

The two of you follow the clerk as he leads you deeper into the castle, before taking you to the Duke's office. Once again you enter the office dominated by the two large paintings of Heraklon. But in the office, relaxing in the chair, feet up on the magnificent desk, you see Sir Denis Bremcote, the eldest son of the Duke. He has a few hangers-on with him. They sneer as they look the two of you up and down, taking your measure. Sir Denis lazily waves you to come closer, and says, "So, my brother has found himself some action? A battle, you say? Knocking a few unruly halflings about? Do tell."

23. - Top - End - #1613
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

What's this? Interposing yourself between your brother and your father? Classy move, Orc-pricker, Severin thinks to himself, but he keeps his tone and expression suitably deferential.

"Why yes, Sir Denis, a battle. A rather large one too, at least by the standards of the Border Princes. And no, it weren't no unruly Halflings. In fact, if it weren't for the Halflings of Stralwald, your father's southern holdings would be all aflame."

"You see it turns out Otto the Hunter would like to expand his borders, so he recruited an army of Empire veterans and assorted mercenaries and set them to raiding in the south. Stralwald was supposed to be the stepping stone to a proper invasion, but your brother and the local folk stopped him cold."

"Now if you'll excuse us good sir, we were tasked by your brother to deliver his report directly to your lord father. Where might we find him please?" Severin asks innocently.

24. - Top - End - #1614
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele's eyes narrow as she meets the gaze of Sir Dennis' hangers-on. 'We killed their leader but we didn't get all of them. Otto seems like the type to try again at some point.' She's not in the mood to have what they had just gone through down played. 'We could have used the help.'

25. - Top - End - #1615
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Sir Denis looks surprised by Severin's claim, and says, "The Duke went to go see the Red Temple. He put me in charge while he was gone. So wait, you said Otto the Hunter invaded Stralwald and you killed him? Let's see the kid's report."

26. - Top - End - #1616
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will correct Sir Denis, 'Otto wasn't there unfortunately. The leader of the bandits who attacked Stralwald was a big lad named Colten. From what I've heard Otto has more men.'

She had to wonder how safe it would be to go back to the Red Temple although being worried for the Duke's safety seemed ridiculous. 'The Red Temple. Maybe the Duke and finish cleaning the place out. How long has he been gone?'

27. - Top - End - #1617
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Aye, Colten was bad news. An Imperial renegade, fallen to the Blood God along with plenty of his men. Yer man Otto's habits sounded none too savoury either. Something about hunting people for sport..." Severin adds.

He doesn't hand over Sir Laurens' report just yet, waiting to hear Denis' response to Gabriele's question.

28. - Top - End - #1618
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"He left two weeks ago, just after you lot headed south. He's taking a tour of the dukedom, maybe visiting some of the western guardposts as well as the villages. He should be back in a few weeks. Took a score of knights with him, his wife... that strange elf went with him, as did Miss Lena..." There is some sniggering and a few vulgar gestures from the hangers-on at that, which Sir Denis ignores, "They wanted to visit the Red Temple. The elf said there were still some valuables there to salvage."

To Severin he says dismissively, "Otto's a jumped-up bandit. Can't be any tougher than an orc. If he comes north we'll run him down just like those orcs, eh?"

29. - Top - End - #1619
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele is somewhat reassured that the Duke had taken Torendil with him. A Wizard ought to know what not to do in a place like the Temple. She'll try to ignore the sniggering as at least Lena wasn't there to hear it, but she didn't like the idea that Otto wasn't the Bremcote's problem. 'So until then he does that he can just raid and slave as much as he pleases?'

30. - Top - End - #1620
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"You do as you like, Sir. I'm sure the people of Stralwald will be happy to hear that the Duke's abandoned his claim to their lands - no more protection, but no more taxes either. Same with the families on the other side of the river. Apparently Solomon Tollares is staking a claim there," Severin says, sounding unconcerned.