New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes (WFRP 2e) IC

The party heads down the main corridor. The light up ahead is unmistakable. Everyone cautiously emerges into a large, circular open space. A shaft of sunlight comes down from the ceiling. It illuminates a rock altar in the center of the room. The torchlight flickers and shows a huge, cavernous room. The area seems strangely well-kept. Free of rubble and debris. Votive offerings before the altar. Statues ring the edges of the room. Most have been vandalized, although a few remain intact. The intact statues seem to have offerings in front of them as well.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

Severin scans the room for any signs of an ambush before proceeding cautiously to the central altar to examine the altar itself and the offerings.

Spoiler
    Show
    Obligatory Perception test (1d100)[55] vs. Int 34 to detect hidden ambushers

Separate Perception test (1d100)[78] vs. Int 34 to detect details or traps around the altar

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele is very happy to see sunlight down here. Obviously the room looked like a temple of some kind, but she didn't like to think about what kind of gods the mutants worshipped.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Common Lore (Empire) vs. Int 33 to recognise the statues
    (1d100)[63]

Perception vs. Int 33 (+20 if Acute Hearing) to keep an eye on the exits
    (1d100)[3]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa looks up at the daylight, asking suspiciously, "Is it real, d'ya think? Or some kind of wizardry?"

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil sticks close, keeping an eye out on the shadows dancing in the firelight. When they reach the massive chamber he looks around, taken aback at the ring of statues. When Alyssa mentions the possibility that the light might be magical he turns his attention upward, trying to see if he can tell whether it's natural.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Academic Knowledge (Magic), perhaps? Or would it be Magical Sense?
    vs 48 if Academic Knowledge, vs 51 if Magical Sense
    (1d100)[21]

Also--nice Darkest Dungeon reference
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

Most recent update: Chapter 6: Devastation

-----

A worldbuilding project, still work in progress: Reign of the Corven

Most recent update: another look at magic traditions!

6. - Top - End - #246
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Torendil opens his arcane senses. The altar and the room itself radiates dark magic. The light is natural, a cleansing presence amongst the shadows. A great deal of dark magic was spent here, and the room feels coated in its residue.

Severin inspects the offerings around the altar. There are flowers, a few coins, and cheap jewelry. Severin estimates about 12gc worth of coins. Gabriele looks around at the statues, but doesn't see any saints or symbology that she recognizes. She does see that there are three other passageways leading away at each of the cardinal directions. In the darkness of one of them, she sees shapes moving back and forth. A flash of two eyes in the gloom, reflecting torchlight.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ettin in the Playground

In a low voice, 'We are being watched.' Gabriele will tap Severin on the shoulder and point in the direction of whatever was hiding in the darkness.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa's eyes flash to the side and she draws her blade, not seeing what Gabriele is pointing at but still on guard.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

"Then I guess we'd better do somethin' about that," he replies. Peering into the gloom, he uses his superior night vision to try and make out how many enemies there might be in the passage. At the same time, he begins whirling his sling, ready to loose a stone at the first foe he can identify.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check (1d100)[21] vs. Int 34 if needed - he does have 30 yards' Night Vision, after all.
    Last edited by rax; 2019-03-22 at 02:50 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

For the sake of whatever cover it offered Gabriele is going to edge closer to the alter. Her bow is up and aimed in the direction of the darkened corridor.

Show
    Will shoot if whatever it is is actually a threat

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil is more concerned about the magical auras he is seeing than the creatures lurking in the shadows. He approaches the altar hesitantly, both drawn in by the evidence of powerful magic and frightened of its nature. "Ah, perhaps it might be best to leave the things on the altar alone. There is lingering magic here. I do not think it is still active, but one can never know with such things." Finally noticing that the others are preparing for combat, he brings himself back to the present. "What was that? We are being watched?" He shakes the sleeves of his robes back to have free use of his hands but does not immediately move into cover.
    I'm playing Ironsworn, an RPG that you can run solo - and I'm putting the campaign up on GitP!

-----

12. - Top - End - #252
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin sees them best, of course. A few hunched, twisted shapes in the shadows again. In front, watching everyone is an unfamiliar mutant. Its pallid, almost translucent face and wide reddish eyes marks it as some sort of dark-dwelling freak of... well, not nature... but something. It watches the group with malign intent, partially concealed behind some rubble. Once it sees that Severin is spinning up his sling, and that Gabriele's bow is pointing in its direction, it ducks back. There is a scrabbling of feet that fades down the hallway.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa swallows and asks unhappily, "What...What was that? Some kind of monster?"

14. - Top - End - #254
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

"Another mutant, I'll wager. Ugly as sin, but hopefully no worse than the ones we've fought so far," Severin replies.

"Sirs," he continues, addressing the knights, "I spotted a mutant down that passage. It appears to have done a runner, but it's dark in there and there's rubble to provide it with cover. It looks like a likely spot for an ambush, so I suggest we proceed with caution."

Severin moves swiftly to the tunnel, risks a quick look inside, and if the coast seems clear he begins to walk down passageway, keeping an eye open for traps and ambushes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception test (1d100)[7] vs. Int 34 if needed

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rs2excelsior View Post
    "Ah, perhaps it might be best to leave the things on the altar alone.
    'No argument from me.' She'll watch where the mutant went before following Severin. 'I'll bet the ones that live down here look worse.'

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

After a slight hesitation, Torendil follows the others down the dark passage, hands still at the ready to cast if needed.

-----

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The group heads down the darkened corridor. They pass an alcove with unfamiliar statues. Rubble and trash is trampled underfoot. The servants pause to light new torches, the old ones having guttered out. As they are paused, Severin sees those glimmering eyes watching them in the distance. He also sees a hint of movement, a flicker of shadow in the alcove just ahead. As the group approaches, Severin sees a mutant trying to conceal itself behind a broken statue.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

"Over there, in the alcove!" Severin calls out, alerting his companions to the presence of the mutant. Worried that the creature is part of an ambush, he swiftly brings his sling up to speed, takes as careful aim as is possible under the circumstances, and lets fly.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Half action: Aim
    Half action: Attack with sling (1d100)[15] vs. 58 (BS 48 +Aim)
    Damage (1d10+3)[9]

Ulric's Fury if applicable:
    Attack with sling (1d100)[76]
    Damage (1d10+3)[12]

Severin has his shield equipped, so ranged attacks against him take a -10 penalty.
    Wounds (remaining/total): 10/10
    Fortune Points (used/total): 1/3

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

Mindful that she doesn't have unlimited arrows, Gabriele will watch for movement before she lets fly. There was always a chance that there was more of then one of them here.

Spoiler
    Show

Per vs Int 33 (+20 if Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[67]

Half Action - Delay till I can be sure I've seen it
    Half Action - Shoot if I can see something

vs. BS 47 (range?)
    (1d100)[56]

Damage (1d10+3)[12]

20. - Top - End - #260
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin spots the mutant cowering in the corner. He lets fly with a stone, and at point blank range, he can't miss. It hits the foul creature, which gasps in pain. The mutant leaps up, with some sort of blanket in its hands, making a mad leap for the torch-bearing servant. It tries to knock the torch out of the servant's hands with the blanket, but the servant jerks back and manages to keep it out reach. Gabriele, perhaps hesitant to shoot the servant, sends an arrow past the struggling mutant. Sir Laurens, on the other hand, feels no such worry as he turns and runs the mutant through with his sword. At the sounds of the struggle, a barrage of rocks flies down the hallway. A few rattle off Sir Leclair's helm, but one strikes the servant's torch squarely, and he curses and drops it on the ground.

Spoiler
    Show

Here's a little diagram to help visualize what's going on. The blue dots are your friendly NPCs, the red dots are you. Green dots are mutants. The yellow dots are your torch-bearers. Beyond the oval it is dark, and you will take a penalty to fighting or trying to shoot into the darkness (unless you have night vision). If the torches go out, though... well.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-03-26 at 10:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

"Pick up that torch, man!" Severin barks as he reloads his sling and launches a stone at the mutant on the right hand side of the passage ahead.

Show
    Initiative (if needed): (1d10+47)[48]
    Half action: Reload sling
    Half action: Standard attack with sling (1d100)[14] vs. BS 48
    Damage (1d10+3)[11]

Attack with sling (1d100)[61]
    Damage (1d10+3)[9]

Severin has his shield equipped, so ranged attacks against him take a -10 penalty.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele mutters 'And maybe stand behind the men in armour.' She will try to ignore all distractions and steady herself enough before firing on any sign of movement in the darkness ahead. The mutants were not a better shot then she was.

Show

Free Action - Reload
    Half Action - Aim
    Half Action - Fire

vs. BS 47 (+10 Aim / ? Range / ? Darkness)
    (1d100)[82]

Damage 1d10+3 AP
    (1d10+3)[9]

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil jumps back as the rocks fly down the hall, and his eyes snap up to the mutants at the end of the hall. Quickly chanting the incantations, he gathers up a dart of magic energy toward one of them.

Show
    Half action: Channeling test (vs WP+10: 51)
    (1d100)[7]

Half action: cast Magic Dart
    Casting number: 6
    (1d10)[3] (+1 for successful channeling test)

Damage: (1d10+3)[7]

Edit: dang, fizzled
    Last edited by rs2excelsior; 2019-03-29 at 07:31 PM.

-----

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gabriele speeds an arrow into the darkness. Whether it hit or not, she cannot say. Severin's keen eyes see one of the mutants flinch as he its it squarely with a stone. Torendil appears to be doing something... but the secrets of the mages can be subtle and terrible. Another barrage of flung stones and rubble comes back your way. Sir Leclair cries out in pain. The servant scrambles to pick up the torch and raises it aloft, just before it gutters out. The two knights yell out.

"For Bremcote!" shouts Sir Laurens. "Kill the bastards!" growls Sir Leclair, and they charge down the hallway towards the mutants, swords drawn. Into the darkness.

Spoiler: Torendil
    Show
    As you reach into the aether, there is a susurrus of whispers just out of edge of your hearing. At the back of your mind. If you were to cast another spell, perhaps you can hear what they say? Chaos die: (1d10)[7]
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-03-30 at 10:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

"Quickly! Bring up the torches and follow your lords! If these beasts are willing put so much effort into dousing our light, then they're either hindered by it or they're concealing some mischief," Severin calls to the servants.

For his part, he reloads and launches another sling stone into the darkness, trying to hit the same mutant again.

Show
    Half action: Reload sling
    Half action: Standard attack with sling (1d100)[32] vs. BS 48
    Damage (1d10+3)[13]

Attack with sling (1d100)[93]
    Damage (1d10+3)[10]

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Alyssa continues to lurk in the shadows, opting to stay away from combat with an enemy she can't even see and instead keeps her eyes to the rear, willing to let the knights handle the dirty mess of combat while she prepares to waylay any flanking enemies.

Show
    Perception: (1d100)[41] vs 24
    Stealth: (1d100)[6] vs 30

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Torendil quietly curses in Eltharin as the magical energies escape him once more. He notices the whispers, however... A faint trace of a warning from his teacher flashes through his mind, but he pushes it aside. Perhaps he just needed to tap in a little more deeply to the local magical energies?

Show
    I see no way this could backfire on me :D

Half action to move a bit closer
    Half action to cast light
    Casting roll (target 3)
    (1d10)[7]

If successful the quarterstaff which he carries will glow like a lantern.

The spell says it glows for one hour or until I let it go--I assume that means I can cast other spells and hang on to the glowing quarterstaff at the same time?

-----

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will swear as the two fool knights charged off into the darkness. She was hardly good with a sword, but she'd probably have to go after them anyway before they got themselves killed. One last arrow first and maybe the mutants would keep their heads down.

Spoiler
    Show

Free Action - Reload
    Half Action - Aim
    Half Action - Fire

vs. BS 47 (+10 Aim / ? Range / ? Darkness)
    (1d100)[1]

Damage 1d10+3 AP
    (1d10+3)[5]

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin sees one of the mutants fall as they are hit with a vicious sling stone. Gabriele, on the other hand, can barely making out the struggling shapes. But she's pretty sure one of the strangely grotesque ones flinched as her arrow flew true. Suddenly, everything flares into brightness as Torendil summons an eldritch light using his arcane power. It clearly illuminates the tableau ahead. The two knights, struggling against half a dozen mutant forms. The mutants hiss and draw back, while the knights take heart from the light. In the rear of the group, Alyssa and the two soldiers can now clearly see the corridor around them. There doesn't appear to be any lurking threat behind them. The two soldiers look at each other, and then advance cautiously past Torendil, trying to give him as much berth as the narrow corridor allows.

Spoiler: Torendil
    Show
    Chaos Die: (1d10)[8] The flow of magic seems stronger again. As if it wants to be used. He hears a voice, faintly, chanting in some bizarre language. Again, just out of the edge of hearing.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-04-02 at 11:10 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin

"Yes! That one's for Beaumont!" Severin crows as the mutant drops to his sling stone. He begins to slap another stone into the pouch of his sling when Torendil's spell causes the mutants to fall back, but the knights follow and are soon embroiled in a swirling melee again.

"Come on, you lazy lot! Call yourself soldiers? Get in there or your young lord's likely to get himself killed!" he upbraids the soldiers cautiously advancing down the corridor. With a practised motion, he quickly winds his sling around his wrist, then unhooks Kneecapper from his belt before scampering forward to where he can get a clear look at the melee.

Show
    Half action: Ready his mace and put away his sling.
    Half action: Move about 8 yards forward to a position from which he can charge next round.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by rax; 2019-04-04 at 04:59 PM.