Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Yes, but it's first going to turn with the wind and speed up for a while then keep turning until the turn from the wind and from the rudder find a balance point. It's going to take a while without anyone yet having made any effort to change the sails. The jollyboat would have made it to her and then to the ship much faster than the ship would come to a stop/slow down enough to swim and catch it.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so are we able to tie up the officers get the pirate crew to help take down the sails for the moment to get the rudder free?

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ettin in the Playground

You've got the lost players to work with, at least in some regards.

The crew aren't a homogenous group and you can talk to or work with them as a group or individuals.

If someone wants to go through the ship or anything else while others work with Robel that is fine too, just didn't want to move characters away if you want to take part.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm assuming that we are very near going back to port where we will pick up a new crew. From a story perspective, this would be a great time to pick up another character. Has someone started a recruitment thread or revived the old one? I can do that if need be. I don't want to make the final decision or anything, but if I can facilitate, I'm happy to help.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

I think we're past the time where I can revive the old recruitment thread. I was going to ask about that once we got this part settled but no reason we can't start now.
    I guess the first question is simply if anyone knows someone that would like to join the game and believes that person will stick around. Other than that, if we open it up, how many players do you want to bring in and are there any specific rolls/classes you want to make sure are filled?

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I think we're past the time where I can revive the old recruitment thread. I was going to ask about that once we got this part settled but no reason we can't start now.
    I guess the first question is simply if anyone knows someone that would like to join the game and believes that person will stick around. Other than that, if we open it up, how many players do you want to bring in and are there any specific rolls/classes you want to make sure are filled?
    okay well just my opinion here, we have the 3 out of 6 of us, so I would go the route of recruitment to 4 or 5 that way if some drop for what ever reason se have about 4-6 total

make a new recruitment post

current is
    Olivia: Alch/Fighter - Mate or Captain?
    Bodaku: Druid - not sure position
    Ariadne: Witch - not sure position

Needs
    a definite navigator/lookout as that would make sense to be the same character
    an engineer that can repair said ship
    chaplin & surgeon on a ship could be the same character
    a position not covered originally in the 1st post would be the bosun or if you prefer Boatswain: senior most rate of the deck department : basiclly the guy the crew goes to to complain or be punished by as a whole.

the bosun could also be the engineer on the same character
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-08 at 04:29 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bodaku will be the ship's cook, obviously. He could also be lookout. I kind of envisioned him using animals to scout or turn into an animal once I get that ability.

I agree we should recruit more than we need. I can make a few calls to old friends. they're new to pbp but they are long term gamers so they appreciate the importance of showing up.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay my notes based on the ship image and slight description in IC.
    this appears to be a 2 main mast with a 3rd...
    on the main forward sleeping for 10 crew, aft probably the captain, mate and next senior most officer.
    mid deck probably more open than the picture due to description, I would say the 12 crew sleeping aft remains, and the 2 officer bow sleeping area remains and the rest probably open for cargo
    lower deck probably compartmentalized as shown, with maybe 3 officer sleeping at the bow
    I would guess probably mid deck would be where the crew mess would be, and officer mess on the upper deck aft area
    probably 3 other sleeping somewhere for a crew of 25-50 with 8 possible officers

and maybe a side view sort of like this
    Ship
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-08 at 05:32 PM.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Hey, hey, hey, hey.

Hey guys.

We got a pirate ship. High fives.
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2019-05-08 at 10:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay Items from pirate ship I can make extract Identify 9 times it looks like, to Identify these for magic ect..
    ** GM will you please note any and all magic for items that identify gives more details on as well as any other details like masterworked ect...

1: a very fine looking composite shortbow str rating 1

2: very fine looking leather armor - Bodaku would have interest in this item

3: very fine looking shortsword

4: a very nice looking longsword - Olivia would have interest in this item

5: a very nice looking beastplate

6: a fine quality pistol - Olivia would have interest in this item

7: fine quality musket - Olivia would have interest in this item

8: leather lamellar armor (unusual type of leather) - Olivia & Bodaku would have interest in this item

9: a bracer that looks to have magical runes carved into it. - Olivia & Aridan would have interest in this item

now just because , Olivia would have interest in this item does not mean she gets it.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-09 at 04:33 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'd like the leather armor if no one objects

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    I'd like the leather armor if no one objects
    updated request list, nothing set in stone until after all weigh in and then all items identified.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-09 at 07:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The majority of those items Aridane cannot use. She already has a masterwork pistol so a second one is just useful as a spare. The one thing of interest may or may not be the magic bracer.

In the interest of identifying at least the basic nature of that last one... Detect Magic + Karcana [roll1d20+10[/roll]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

14. - Top - End - #344
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Oops, try again (1d20+10)[20]
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Detect Magic: detect magical auras.
    Karcana: Knowledge (arcana) skill checks to determine the school of magic involved in each

so that combination will tell you yes or no its magical, the aura strength and possible school

Identify: functions as detect magic, except that it gives you a +10 enhancement bonus on Spellcraft checks made to identify the properties and command words of magic items in your possession - does nothing for artifacts

spellcraft: Identify the properties of a magic item using detect magic 15 + itemís caster level

wow seems that identify changed from 3.5 to PF - but seems that identify is still slightly better overall

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Right, spellcraft... (1d20+10)[17]

dang it all, that's not likely to cut it.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-05-09 at 07:43 PM.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

1: MW composite shortbow str rating 1
    2: MW leather armor -
    3: MW shortsword
    4: MW longsword - Olivia would have interest in this item
    5: MW beastplate
    6: MW pistol - Olivia would have interest in this item
    7: MW musket - Olivia would have interest in this item
    8: lamellar armor is made of darkleaf and +1. - Bodaku would have interest in this item
    9: +1 Bracers of Armor - Aridan would have interest in this item

and even though Olivia will still use 9 extracts of Identify
    it looks like she will need 9 rolls of spellcraft and what the heck K. arcana
    each roll according to the above listed number
    edit +10 enhancement bonus on Spellcraft checks were not applied to the rolls so add 10 to ea.
    DC: 15 + itemís caster level

1: SC:(1d20+2)[5] : KA:(1d20+2)[17] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 15
    2: SC:(1d20+2)[20] : KA:(1d20+2)[3] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 30
    3: SC:(1d20+2)[5] : KA:(1d20+2)[5] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 15
    4: SC:(1d20+2)[11] : KA:(1d20+2)[17] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 21
    5: SC:(1d20+2)[15] : KA:(1d20+2)[14] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 25
    6: SC:(1d20+2)[10] : KA:(1d20+2)[10] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 20
    7: SC:(1d20+2)[12] : KA:(1d20+2)[9] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 22
    8: SC:(1d20+2)[22] : KA:(1d20+2)[8] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 32
    9: SC:(1d20+2)[15] : KA:(1d20+2)[14] - if it is magical I should get an aura at least SC 25

EDIT #2
    SHIP NAMES
    other suggestions in IC
    Jaws of the Sea

my suggestions in OOC
    Calypso
    Defiant
    Flying Dragon
    Interceptor
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-10 at 04:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

GM can you specify what type these are or would there need to be a check to figure out what type they are? (IE. Dragoon, Blackpowder ect..)

6: MW pistol - Olivia would have interest in this item

7: MW musket - Olivia would have interest in this item

EDIT:
    Crew count- GM is my count correct based on description I think there are 19 crew.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-10 at 04:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

There should have been 15 crew. Although it is possible I mixed them up slightly, from setting them up to posting them I switched the order so they were grouped better, it is possible I doubled something up. 2 from ship's previous owner's crew, 2 slaves, 2 captured, 1 ship-wreck, 8 came on willingly since the pirate captain had control of the ship.

Hoping to get another post later today, but Robel will offer to switch a few crew to help you with the fishing, if you think you want to help/separate/protect/etc any of the current crew.

The musket and pistol are standard variety. All early firearms are black powder. (How they expect dragoon cartridges to work is lost on me. There are quick load packs for black powder, and while they're faster they wouldn't actually work for a loading system. But it's a game so I'm not worried about it. Not like there isn't already dozens of threads over the decades on just this forum talking about how weird so many RPG weapons are treated compared to real life)

While one of the weapons was the captain's "starter" weapon, it has been upgraded to the point where it doesn't have the "broken for everyone else" thing going on.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

presuming the pistol to be he upgraded version...anyways a what I was hoping for was

is the pistol a:
    Buckler gun, Pepperbox, Pistol, Pistol, coat, Pistol, dagger, Pistol, double-barreled, Pistol, dragon, Pistol, dragoon, Pistol, paddle-foot, Pistol, sword cane

then the musket is it a
    Blunderbuss, Culverin, Cylinder rifle, Double hackbut, Fire lance, Musket, Musket, axe, Musket, double-barreled, Musket, dragoon, Musket, warhammer

noticing the listing for the "pistol/musket" realizing that you might just mean that particular one...and alchemy is a fairly old art form so it is conceivable to have a cartridge with an alchemical charge and ball all in one, black powder however

needs a horn of powder, wadding, a ball and usually breach loaded, there are exceptions. but I agree that most RPG's do not go along with real life stuff

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Well I'm going to admit that I was mistaken in how early actual brass cartridges were around, though it was all using black powder until late 1800s. It was the mid 1800s when cartridges became common, they were invented in the early 1800s. I was mostly thinking early, like 1700s, when they were all muzzle load and the very few breech load guns were still essentially the same powder/wad/bullet design. There are quick load packs and paper cartridges that put it all together so you can dump, pack, and shoot much faster, but still far from a real cartridge. I never did time myself, but as long as you aren't too worried about consistency a muzzle load can be done pretty fast.

I had mentally put the "modern" PF guns as early brass cartridge designs and everything else as essentially muzzle load. Guess I'm not as up on my gun history as I thought, though I think I had the timelines about right, just not the point in time they've picked for PF guns.
    Is there any real gun that can use both a cartridge and powder/bullet? Or are they using cartridge in some way I'm not seeing?

At any rate, both guns are the standard "pistol" and "musket," not double barrel, axe, buckler, dragon, dragoon, or anything else.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Pathfinder "alchemical cartridges"

It's just a wrapping of water resistant paper that holds a shot and charge for quick loading.

The more modern version with steel/brass casings are listed as metal cartridges and limited to advanced firearms.

Concerning the crew, I'm happy with treating them as a somewhat indistinct group for the most part. I was just focusing a bit on establishing my gal's influence over them.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-05-11 at 06:37 AM.

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

That's what I was thinking, but those still need to be plunged down before they can fire, so I'm not sure how they're expecting those to work. Unless of course the dragoon guns use a cylinder like a revolver. Which is possible. But as far as I can tell all of those actually use the same bullets; the gun is designed differently though, not the bullet.

We'll speed up the fishing from the first time.
    Other that figuring out how you want to run things between yourselves and the crew and naming the ship, I need to know how many of our lost players will stay with Robel and how many you'll have help on your ship (simply as trusted NPCs until we get back to port to switch them out with real players). Also if you're going to switch any crew with Robel.

Trying to get a feel for what you guys want in terms of dealing with your current crew, and any new crew you pick up later.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Dragoon pistols are limited to the alchemical cartridges rather than loose powder and bullet, which would make sense if its design was something like a three chambered version of the following, since the package would near eliminate the chance of something simply falling out.

With that design, I can see being able to slip in a trio of cartridges relatively quickly, wouldn't even need a tamping rod.

Concerning the crew, it likely would be good to develop relationships with some of the more notable figures, trustworthy sorts being groomed for important positions and the like. But that's something we can worry about much more in the long run. For now, just figuring out who we can trust and who we need to dump at the dock (or potentially sooner) is the priority.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

This is the design I was thinking, that lever on the front is what sets the bullet and powder into the chamber, rather than a rod. But it functions exactly the same as the rod, it would just be faster. In either case though, paper cartridge or loose powder and ball, the bullet and wadding/paper are very snug in the barrel, as in you *have* to force them down. The bullet is tight enough that it will not fall out. Also if you don't get a tight pack then the powder just burns rather than explodes. In the case of loose shot, like pellets, I believe the wadding is what causes the compression, rather than the wadding and bullet, but I haven't personally shot them.

There is actually a black powder revolver called a dragoon, which as far as I can tell is essentially the same as the first one I linked. I mostly picked the first one because it shows how the plunger arm moves.
    Spoiler: colt dragoon
    Show

They refer (at least in the SRD) to the dragoon cartridge as a clip, which doesn't make any sense. It seems like they just complicated things because they didn't know what was real and wanted to make something "cool" and instead made something completely inferior to the real life counterpart.

It's a moot point really. A bullet, alchemical cartridge, and dragoon cartridge works out to essentially the same price per shot. They all use the same components too. So if you've got lead and powder you can shoot any of them. The flint versus percussion caps is the big change and that doesn't even get a mention in the game.

As for the crew, would you like to talk to them to see what they want or if they seem trustworthy, or more of "after working with them a while you get the sense X would be helpful and Y seems like they're hiding something"
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-05-11 at 09:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I have alway invisioned the dragoon "clip" 3 round box magazine, how ever you wish to term it. - RL in 1818, handguns capable of holding multiple rounds became popular - so if PF early firearms dragoon pistol "clip" would be probably one of these types

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:C..._2nd_Model.jpg

As for our missing RP players they can go to robels ship for all I am concerned, the 3 of us active can take 1 of 3 wheel watches that way less troubles from the" pirate crew, we can send over 4-5 of the crew to swap with robels crew gaining 1 or 2 trusted supervisor types until the whole lot of us get back to port with the fishing done.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-12 at 07:17 AM.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so do we want to wait until port where we can fix the issues of the ship before naming her.. and then we need to decide on the name
    the suggestions were

Jaws of the Sea
    Calypso
    Defiant
    Flying Dragon
    Interceptor

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

You can name it whenever you decide on the name.

You believe some of the repairs might be easier than others. Check with the crew. At this point you don't know what's really available on the ship. You can look, you just haven't done much yet.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    so do we want to wait until port where we can fix the issues of the ship before naming her.. and then we need to decide on the name
    the suggestions were

Jaws of the Sea
    Calypso
    Defiant
    Flying Dragon
    Interceptor
    Half of those are from the pirates movie. If both of you want a pirates of the carribean name, I won't argue. I will however dissaprove strongly. In the theme of hunger based name from Bodaku: Hunger for Justice, Devourer of Evil, The Great Maw

Also on the subject of eating, can I respec a little? All I want to do is change one of the free profession skills you gave me. Originally, it was whaling and medicine, but as I've RP'd this character more, food has started to become his gimmick. Can I change one of those to cooking?
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2019-05-15 at 05:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    Half of those are from the pirates movie. If both of you want a pirates of the carribean name, I won't argue. I will however dissaprove strongly. In the theme of hunger based name from Bodaku: Hunger for Justice, Devourer of Evil, The Great Maw

Also on the subject of eating, can I respec a little? All I want to do is change one of the free profession skills you gave me. Originally, it was whaling and medicine, but as I've RP'd this character more, food has started to become his gimmick. Can I change one of those to cooking?
    actualy the names were just random name generated nothing to do with the movie, and personally the boat could be called the pile o junk , - so I will defer to others for naming at this point