Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    Also on the subject of eating, can I respec a little? All I want to do is change one of the free profession skills you gave me. Originally, it was whaling and medicine, but as I've RP'd this character more, food has started to become his gimmick. Can I change one of those to cooking?
    Sounds good

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    actualy the names were just random name generated nothing to do with the movie, and personally the boat could be called the pile o junk , - so I will defer to others for naming at this point
    I believe you, but I'm also disapointed in the pirates movies that almost all of their names were provided from a random name generator

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so a drift anchor considering our era is probably close to this
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-18 at 08:35 PM.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't really look at designs versus age, but yeah, I'm sure they can be made many different ways.

So going to post the general list of the crew and what I've nominally set them as doing based on what you've said. If you want to assign them to different jobs, or change how many are doing any given job let me know. These would essentially be "overtime jobs" when they aren't crabbing. So you've also got the option of pulling some off of crabbing to get more of their job, or another job, done. The set of crew from Robel's ship aren't listed, they'll be helping run the ship/sailing when not crabbing.

1 human F older FS Robel's ship
    2 human M middle troublemaker bilge
    3 elf F young sail repairs
    4 dwarf M middle FS ropes/tar
    5 Half-elf M middle FS Robel's ship
    6 gnome M young FS ship/mechanical repairs
    7 halfling M young cooking
    8 Half-orc F older w/ship sailing
    9 Half-orc F young general repairs
    10 Half-orc M young general repairs
    11 Half-elf F middle carpentry repairs
    12 human M young ropes/tar
    13 dwarf F middle w/ship sailing
    14 human M middle FS Robel's ship
    15 halfling F young cooking

This is a trial run so far, see if it works for you guys and for me to keep track of what's going on with the crew and estimate progress on jobs.

rolls for the initial two days worth of work
    ropes/tarring
    (1d20)[15]
    (1d20)[8]
    mechanical repairs
    (1d20)[4]
    (1d20)[7]
    sail repair
    (1d20)[14]
    (1d20)[18]
    carpentry (limited by tools more than people)
    (1d20)[8]
    (1d20)[1]

general repairs
    (1d20)[11]
    (1d20)[20]

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

just to clarify the table is what we have on our ship and not crew who are physically on robels ship...
    the ones that say robels ship are they from it?
    table organized by activity 2 grouped together

# Race Sex Age Activity 1 Activity 2
    3 elf F young sail repairs
    6 gnome M young FS ship/mechanical repairs
    9 Half-orc F young general repairs
    10 Half-orc M young general repairs
    11 Half-elf F middle carpentry repairs
    4 dwarf M middle FS ropes/tar
    12 human M young ropes/tar
    8 Half-orc F older w/ship sailing
    13 dwarf F middle w/ship sailing
    7 halfling M young cooking
    15 halfling F young cooking
    2 human M middle troublemaker bilge
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-19 at 07:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Nice nat-20

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

I should have probably explicitly stated some of that. The first part, FS is the former slaves/captured. They went to Robel's ship when you offered to make the change, then you got two back later. The ones that are still on Robel's ship are primarily listed in case you want to get them back and Bodaku gave them some gold before they left, so you might do something with them once you back to dock.

The ones from Robel's ship aren't listed because you can trust them and don't need to worry about them in the future. They're focused on helping run the ship in terms of basic sailing, adjusting sails, watching out for objects, general clean-up and the run of the mill tasks required to keep a ship going.

The ones listed as w/ship were the ones with the ship before the previous captain had taken it over, they've been with the ship the longest. Everyone else joined since the pirate captain took over, but other than the troublemaker, there has been nothing standing out about them, so you don't know if they knew it was a pirate ship or simply signed on for the adventure of the sea not realizing what the captain had planned.

You missed 9 on your list, the half-orc female that is also doing general repairs. 9 and 10 seem to be together

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Fyi, I broke my PC. Sad pants. Expect slow updates until it is fixed. Hopefully later this week

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I should have probably explicitly stated some of that. The first part, FS is the former slaves/captured. They went to Robel's ship when you offered to make the change, then you got two back later. The ones that are still on Robel's ship are primarily listed in case you want to get them back and Bodaku gave them some gold before they left, so you might do something with them once you back to dock.

The ones from Robel's ship aren't listed because you can trust them and don't need to worry about them in the future. They're focused on helping run the ship in terms of basic sailing, adjusting sails, watching out for objects, general clean-up and the run of the mill tasks required to keep a ship going.

The ones listed as w/ship were the ones with the ship before the previous captain had taken it over, they've been with the ship the longest. Everyone else joined since the pirate captain took over, but other than the troublemaker, there has been nothing standing out about them, so you don't know if they knew it was a pirate ship or simply signed on for the adventure of the sea not realizing what the captain had planned.

You missed 9 on your list, the half-orc female that is also doing general repairs. 9 and 10 seem to be together
    apperantly when I tabled i listed it but missed the [TR} at the begining of 9,

so that table is now minus anything that indicated robels ship to reflect only what we have on our ship at the moment for the upcoming storm.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    This is hardly my specialty in real life, so I'm less than certain, but wouldn't that channel between the big island and the mountain range be promising? If the storm winds are blowing out of the NE, the mountains would provide a buffer in that area. Storm surge would be at least relatively limited as wave energy is focused to the SW, away from the center of said channel.

Trying to find a good balance between essentially saying "go here, do this" and still giving you enough information to make a good choice.

Yeah, waves grow the longer the wind has to push on the water, so if it is just off of land they can't build up that much. Of course more hills/trees that break the wind help too rather than just flat/open land. With a larger ship like this you've got to find some place that is deep enough to anchor but still close enough to shore to not build up that big of waves. Some side waves and such happen too, so any sort of cove will be better than just off a western coast, especially in that some of the smaller islands will have a lot of waves kind of wrap around them. Not that you can really see any of that from the map, but your skills should know that general information.
    Of course finding a good spot would have been easier if the checks had came up better. Tried to make sure you had enough information to make some other attempts.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Trying to find a good balance between essentially saying "go here, do this" and still giving you enough information to make a good choice.

Yeah, waves grow the longer the wind has to push on the water, so if it is just off of land they can't build up that much. Of course more hills/trees that break the wind help too rather than just flat/open land. With a larger ship like this you've got to find some place that is deep enough to anchor but still close enough to shore to not build up that big of waves. Some side waves and such happen too, so any sort of cove will be better than just off a western coast, especially in that some of the smaller islands will have a lot of waves kind of wrap around them. Not that you can really see any of that from the map, but your skills should know that general information.
    Of course finding a good spot would have been easier if the checks had came up better. Tried to make sure you had enough information to make some other attempts.
    generically a large island presumable taller than the ship mast will give less direct wind flow however, the aerodynamics of wind going around the sides and over the top and down the island will cause all sorts of multi directional winds at various speeds causeing very choppy water, depending on width it may be possible to semi navigate the bow into the largest of waves and it may not be possible.

given the option I would not park a boat between islands in a channel during a storm, I would look for a cove with semi sheltered anchorage where we could drop all 3 main anchors that the boat should have (bow left and right and aft ) and no sails, then ride out the storm

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So this is the lake I've done most of my boating on, including a couple storms that came in quick and had me worried. Lots of very open areas and of course Wyoming's 30-60mph winds. Granted it wouldn't have been a problem for a large boat, but for the boat I had it was more than enough to have potentially sunk us. In all of those cases we just got back to dock and got out of the water, though we had the main engine die once and finished it on a trolling motor and if we didn't have that we would have got out on shore. Pulling this ship up on the shore and getting out isn't really an option though.

So I've got some ideas but don't know all the differences that would be found in the ocean.

In this case choppy water will be rough to stay in but I'm not seeing it as a danger to this ship, since they won't grow that big.

A channel could be some of an issue depending on the direction because it will... well channel the waves. Though some of these channels are pretty big.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

ocean + storm and such waves are nasty and powefull and if running through a channel between islands they can be deadly.

Spoiler: image examples
    Show

and

Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-22 at 09:25 AM.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

PC is fixed bitches!!!!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Excellent, glad to hear. Having just gone through it myself I know how annoying it can be.

It seems like the team isn't exactly sure how to proceed. Which is probably because I haven't given a good indication as to what your options really are. Assuming everything doesn't go sideways at work today, I'll get a post up and try to include enough detail to use in the future. There isn't really a good common framework for the naval side of things for us to use and I'm still trying to figure out how to convey what I'm thinking.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay map clarification just to make certain i have the correct spot
    above the eye of "name" there are 6 small islands then a medium island with a dark shaded area on the south west coast
    is that us? with the island north marked giants and a larger island to the east

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

That is you, yes. The dark spot is a paste of the ship, and it is relatively clear on my screen "at actual size" but yeah, in the post it isn't much more than a little bit darker area.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Do we want to explore this yet? I am interested in these islands, and I want to explore, but I think we should visit port and rearm and fill up our crew, not to mention finish our contract with Robel.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

i am on board with finish out the fishing trip to complete the contract with robel, get rid of some or most of this crew, then resupply get crew and then head back to explore

20. - Top - End - #380
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Did the troublemaking human ever get a name?

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ettin in the Playground

His name is Darrius. I figured starting out with a dozen names would be too much and too easy to mix up and forget, and not matter in the case they didn't stick around.

Getting OO-calc to do what I used to do in Excel has been a bit more of a pain than I thought it would be. Got Excel from some classes and I don't think I have any way of getting that back now either.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20)[7]
    (1d20)[15]
    (1d20+3)[21]
    (1d20+7)[17]
    (1d20+10)[21]

22. - Top - End - #382
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

His name is Darrius. I figured starting out with a dozen names would be too much and too easy to mix up and forget, and not matter in the case they didn't stick around.

Getting OO-calc to do what I used to do in Excel has been a bit more of a pain than I thought it would be. Got Excel from some classes and I don't think I have any way of getting that back now either.
    Just use google docs. They have a spreadsheet function that I use for the pbp I'm running.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

[roll0]
    [roll1]
    [roll2]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]

another option that is close to excel in function is open office...I have/had converted excel files over and short of minor function changes its basically the same

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

oh hey a frogman encounter - or something like that - anyways
    Question the squares is that 5ft squares for scale. putting the enemy between 75-85 feet out from the edge of the boat?

Knowledge (local) DC 7 to identify, 12+ to know more about them
    unless I am allowed a flat knowledge (INT) check, I can not make an untrained local ( [roll]1d20+2[/roll flat knowledge (INT)

Olivia's Initiative
    (1d20+3)[13]

Actions: draw pistol take the time to aim at "Red enemy" in hopes of some sort of bonus to hit - TBD
    Hold action to fire at "Red enemy" when it reaches 30ft Olivia will fire on Red.
    [Held Action]
    Ranged touch attack 30ft (1d20+6)[24] ; confirm crit: (1d20+6)[19]; Damage (1d8+3)[10]
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-05-31 at 02:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Rolls reposted here since i messed it up.

knowledge local (1d20+1)[6]
    Initiative if needed (1d20+1)[21]

26. - Top - End - #386
    Ettin in the Playground

OpenOffice is what I'm using now. It works, there are just quirks that are annoying compared to using Excel. I got it there, just took longer than I expected. I don't like using any of the browser based ones.

The map is in 5ft squares.
    You did give the crew back their weapons, but not to any seeming to cause a lot of trouble, so only Darrius is unarmed. At this point you didn't give any of them new weapons, so the ones that do respond will have daggers, swords, and similar. The officers' weapons (bow, pistol, and musket) are assumedly stored in the officer's cabins.

There were (1d4+2)[4] crew already on deck, the ones that called the alarm.
    Of the remaining (1d16)[5] are awake and will be on deck next round

So there are 10 unaware/asleep, and 1 that is unarmed. The unaware/asleep are split between the forward bunks and the lower bunks, so it would take 2 crew to get both groups, or some other method of raising their attention.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-05-31 at 06:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

OpenOffice is what I'm using now. It works, there are just quirks that are annoying compared to using Excel. I got it there, just took longer than I expected. I don't like using any of the browser based ones.

The map is in 5ft squares.
    You did give the crew back their weapons, but not to any seeming to cause a lot of trouble, so only Darrius is unarmed. At this point you didn't give any of them new weapons, so the ones that do respond will have daggers, swords, and similar. The officers' weapons (bow, pistol, and musket) are assumedly stored in the officer's cabins.

There were [roll0] crew already on deck, the ones that called the alarm.
    Of the remaining [roll1] are awake and will be on deck next round

So there are 10 unaware/asleep, and 1 that is unarmed. The unaware/asleep are split between the forward bunks and the lower bunks, so it would take 2 crew to get both groups, or some other method of raising their attention.
    hahaha like a pistol shot ...

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    [SPOILER=OOC]Ariadne did not officially claim the musket, but neither did anyone else, so I'm assuming its just part of the ship arsenal for now.
    post #340
    Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    4: MW longsword - Olivia would have interest in this item
    6: MW pistol - Olivia would have interest in this item
    7: MW musket - Olivia would have interest in this item
    but feel free to use the musket for now and we can re-visit that Post#340 again I am not sure anything was finalized

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, feel free to figure out what you want to do with any of the stuff you guys found. I was under the impression that since they were regular masterwork items you weren't that interested in them.

As for the items in general, no one has claimed or equipped the bracer of armor or lamellar armor either.

I should have saved the map filed on the cloud in addition to the picture... won't be able to update until I get home (late) tonight.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

um remind me what image is mine? the pistol and sword probably - would it not make sense that where I stated I was aiming at the closest one "red" that I would be near the aft of the ship? versus near the bow where you put me?
    Actions: draw pistol take the time to aim at "Red enemy" in hopes of some sort of bonus to hit - TBD
    Hold action to fire at "Red enemy" when it reaches 30ft Olivia will fire on Red.
    this in my mind logically would have included moving towards the aft of the ship to aim at "red"
    even though I did not actually state olivia movement to aft of ship - but that was the actual intent.
    Ranged touch attack 30ft (1d20+6)[24] ; confirm crit: (1d20+6)[19]; Damage (1d8+3)[10]

so if olivia is stuck on the bow area .. the option becomes "green" wait for 30ft, intent to get touch AC, and AIM intent, to get some sort of bonus - I dont know if there is any for aiming

then unlike the musket she can shoot again at "red" or "green" as its probably climbing the rails
    as it is climbing the rails
    Ranged touch attack 30ft (1d20+6)[24] ; confirm crit: (1d20+6)[23]; Damage (1d8+4)[9]
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-02 at 07:14 AM.