Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

You are the sword and pistol. I had read that as the closest to you, rather than the cloests to the ship. I had also mistaken being able to use movement before a ready action (ready action being standard, so nothing actually stopping you from moving then readying) and had just used your 5-ft step to get to the edge of the ship.

A standard 30ft move would put you at BY40* and within range of hitting the red once it is almost to the ship. I can switch you there easy enough and put the damage to red if that is what you had wanted.

Bodaku has readied his action for the water jet at the first one over. You can ready to shoot as one comes over as well or (as long as you're on the rails in the 40 line) shoot at blue or green still in the water.

*boy those cell counts get high when you put a lot of cells on a page.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Edits
    Spoiler: map
    Show

- based on this image and the clarification the squares were 5ft, initial action was declared prior to when the character images were added to this map
    - but olivia would still have had 30ft movement to get closer (BY-40) than at where positioned when this map was updated with images
    - so theory olvia could be at (BY-40) right under that aft sail nearest side towards the red frogman - thing
    - olivias held action at 30ft could then take place between (BU-36 and BT-39) prior to red boarding aft
    - and then in theory olivia should be able to move aft 30ft and shoot red again as it comes over the rail.

and that should bring olivia to present - I think
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-04 at 11:09 AM.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ettin in the Playground

I have moved you to the aft of the ship and put your damage on red.

I'm thinking it is about time to put up the re-recruit thread. How many people should I look for and any specific classes and roles you would like me to prioritize?

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

(1d20+1)[9]b
    (1d20+1)[15]g

water jet
    (3d6)[11]
    (1d20)[14]rrs

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I have moved you to the aft of the ship and put your damage on red.

I'm thinking it is about time to put up the re-recruit thread. How many people should I look for and any specific classes and roles you would like me to prioritize?

Show

[roll0]b
    [roll1]g

water jet
    [roll2]
    [roll3]rrs

okay thanks on that..

on re-recruitment
    we have
    Samduke Olivia Alch/Fighter
    optimumsquare Bodaku druid
    Daishain Ariadne Witch

- what we do not have that could be useful

Rogue
    Tank/Fighter type
    Cleric

any combo of the above could also work

I would shoot for re-recruitment at 4 that would allow for if someone goes away for what ever reason there is still a decent party
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-07 at 07:40 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Between me and the Druid, we have healing/support spells pretty well handled. Put some of the budget towards a couple of Wands of cure light wounds and Celestial healing and we should be set in that regard almost no matter what is thrown at us. Since this campaign is unlikely to include very much in the way of Undead, I'm not so sure we need a Cleric. A paladin, oracle, or a warpriest perhaps, since those classes fill other roles we need.

Similar problem with the Rogue. We might eventually have a need for skullduggery, but someone who specializes in that is likely not to have much of a chance to shine. Perhaps a Ranger, Slayer or Gunslinger instead.

A class capable of improving the performance of large groups would also be particularly effective. When we have a dozen or so crewman firing crossbows, a Bard who does nothing other than keep Inspire courage active is still having a major effect on the battle. If path of war is allowed, a zealot could do much the same thing to a slightly lesser extent, while also being our primary tank.

In addition, while I am an Arcane caster, I am missing large portions of the best spells on the Arcane list. A true wizard, arcanist, or similar class would be a welcome addition. Not least because one of the spells I do not have access to, Fireball, is arguably the single most effective spell in ship to ship combat, at least assuming you're not trying to capture the other ship intact.

Come to think of it with the Gunslinger, this might be one of the few campaigns where the siege engine archetype for that class could actually be useful. Get someone like that on board and then invest in a cannon.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-06-07 at 10:21 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

6. - Top - End - #396
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Never say no to a cleric. They can be ****ing anything. But yes, we do have the healer role on lock down. I think we mostly need a tank and a sneak. In any campaign there is always a chance for the sneaky bastard to shine.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll get the next post up today, though soon or late depends on how work goes. Mostly post for initial rolls.

Show

(1d20+5)[25] vs Poison DC 11
    (1d2)[2] str damage if failed
    (1d20+5)[10] vs distraction DC 11

(1d20+16)[24] jump green if not distracted
    (1d20+16)[24] jump blue

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

oohhh!
    Olivia (1d20+5)[24] standard AC attack damage (1d8+3)[11]
    that hurt!

*looks at Shield spell - dang its not a reaction

current 9 of 20 hp

*round 4 action
    take a 5ft step away from blue
    put gun in belt
    Cast defensively
    Cure Light Wounds (1d8+3)[5]

current 14 of 20 hp
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-09 at 07:56 AM.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Looks like they're close enough together now. If I cast a glitter dust set to hit both of them (10' radius spread), but as few friendlies as possible, how many allies would I catch in the area of effect? Follow-up question, can any of them safely be moved out of the zone before it goes off?

Follow up follow-up question, anyone in the mood for frog legs tonight? Those jumpers must have some meat on them.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-06-09 at 11:47 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ettin in the Playground

Where everyone right now is you'll hit (1d3+2)[4] of the 9 crew on deck. Also the eagle will be in the area of effect, though of course if you wait for Bodaku to move the eagle that might change. Also the spiders are still on the side of the ship, so they'll be hit. The spiders will currently move down the side of the ship unless you redirect them, if they come up they might get some crew as well.

I actually forgot to roll Int for the crew. Creatures are 11, so if the crew goes before or after would tell you if they can get out of the way. (1d20)[18]

@Olivia Not that it makes much of a difference but you're effectively just drinking a potion, so not casting defensively. You've moved out of the way so no AOO anyway. Just to keep in mind for when it does make a difference. I'm not aware of any easy ways to avoid the AOO from drinking potions/extracts.

edit:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...2#post23963822
    I created the re-recruit thread if anyone has anything to say to or about potential new players feel free.

Not much of a spoiler, but you'll also be level 4 after this fight
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-06-09 at 07:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

avoid the AOO from drinking potions/extracts.

answer - take a 5ft or more step and drink
    * gm question do you want me in the future to declare how many of what I prepare each day as I think the extracts last 1 day
    - I may need to re-read that ...

oh level 4 - After nice.. hrm think its alch 4 for me before going fighter due to certain " side pains " that keep happening...
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-10 at 01:03 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, they each last one day. You can post it or track it on your character sheet. Especially if you're using the same things most of the time I'm going to trust you guys with keeping track. With the wide open spell lists a heads up on the more obscure spells beforehand would be good.

Bodoku and the birds are going to finish off blue, which might change Ariadne's plans

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Yes, they each last one day. You can post it or track it on your character sheet. Especially if you're using the same things most of the time I'm going to trust you guys with keeping track. With the wide open spell lists a heads up on the more obscure spells beforehand would be good.

Bodoku and the birds are going to finish off blue, which might change Ariadne's plans
    I already had the "spells" on my list not likely to change.. so I will just note in post when new days are mentioned

14. - Top - End - #404
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

This may be a silly question, but I have to ask, did we level up? I saw that the recruitment thread is starting at level 4, but I don't remember that in game, and didn't see anything in a quick review of the thread.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    This may be a silly question, but I have to ask, did we level up? I saw that the recruitment thread is starting at level 4, but I don't remember that in game, and didn't see anything in a quick review of the thread.
    The post above where I link to the re-recruiting thread, you'll be 4 after this fight. Still waiting on Daishain

16. - Top - End - #406
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I thought I did post? Sorry, the forum must have eaten it. I am not in a good position to reproduce the post right now, but if you want to roll for me so you can move on, I had switched over to using ear piercing scream on the last Target. Dc15 fort save vs one round of daze and 2 D6 damage
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-06-12 at 02:09 PM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I thought I did post? Sorry, the forum must have eaten it. I am not in a good position to reproduce the post right now, but if you want to roll for me so you can move on, I had switched over to using ear piercing scream on the last Target. Dc15 fort save vs one round of daze and 2 D6 damage
    Did you post on the phone? I lose posts all the time that way.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

then towards evening will drink her last daily made cure light (1d8+3)[5]
    will bring her HP up to 19 of 20 ( at level 3, then sleep can happen healing the remaining 1 and during that time level 4 can happen
    4th - Discovery - (gm decide how you want this to occur) - its going to be a rough night no matter what.
    HP: (1d8)[7] - and I think that gets olivia to level 4

Edit
    after sleep should have 28 of 28 HP

*New Day's Extracts after level 4 - I am basing this off my extracts per day amounts - this list may or may not change - sheet shows my preferred extracts left and right side spell area

1: 2x Cure light wounds, Identify, Shield, Comprehend Languages
    2: Bullet Shield, Invisibility
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-06-14 at 05:45 AM.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    then towards evening will drink her last daily made cure light (1d8+3)[5]
    will bring her HP up to 19 of 20 ( at level 3, then sleep can happen healing the remaining 1 and during that time level 4 can happen
    4th - Discovery - (gm decide how you want this to occur) - its going to be a rough night no matter what.
    HP: [roll0] - and I think that gets olivia to level 4

Edit
    after sleep should have 28 of 28 HP

*New Day's Extracts after level 4 - I am basing this off my extracts per day amounts - this list may or may not change - sheet shows my preferred extracts left and right side spell area

1: 2x Cure light wounds, Identify, Shield, Comprehend Languages
    2: Bullet Shield, Invisibility
    I'm not familiar with your class, witch right?. Is it based off of brewing potions?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    I'm not familiar with your class, witch right?. Is it based off of brewing potions?
    alchemist archetype gunchemist
    it brews alechemical mixztures, called mutegens and extracts exctracts are like poitons but rather a spell in a bottle, mutegens are a short term buff with adrawback - not [planning to do many if any of those.
    so the character "spell list" are the extracts that I could make up to my daily extract limit

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Since its likely to come up shortly, we probably ought to discuss crew wages. The default pay for a skilled hireling is 3 silver per day, 1 if they are unskilled. Our current crew probably do not qualify as skilled at this point (at least not most of them), but that will change soon enough. 3 SP a day doesn't sound like much, but with a crew of twenty, thirty, fifty, etc, over a couple month's voyage it can add up fast. And that's before we think about shares of the loot we take and/or any "combat bonuses"

We probably ought to ask around and see what the pay rate is for combat ready crews so we have a good comparison point, but what I was thinking as a starting point is this (all numbers negotiable, this just sounds reasonable in my head). 4 silver a day (slightly better than standard to attract the best talent and ensure loyalty). In addition, when the ship hands in a bounty or finds loot, the proceeds get distributed as follows, 40% split among the senior officers (the PCs in other words), 40% to a ship fund to store up for expenses like daily crew wages, repairs, supplies, general crew equipment, etc., and the remaining 20% split amongst the crew (presumably the minor officers would get a slightly larger share of that, but the specifics there can likely be abstracted)

This ensures that the crew are invested in doing what they can to ensure missions are succesful, because it can add to their pay significantly. At the same time, even if things aren't going very well, they still get the value of their hard labor.

Also, we seem to be waffling on the last set of loot distribution a bit, so...
    Olivia- MW pistol, longsword, and musket
    Bodaku- +1 darkleaf lamellar armor
    Ariadne- +1 bracers of armor
    ship armory- MW leather armor, shortsword, breastplate

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    proceeds get distributed as follows, 40% split among the senior officers (the PCs in other words), 40% to a ship fund to store up for expenses like daily crew wages, repairs, supplies, general crew equipment, etc., and the remaining 20% split crew

Olivia- MW pistol, longsword

Bodaku- +1 darkleaf lamellar armor

Ariadne- +1 bracers of armor

ship armory- MW leather armor, shortsword, breastplate, musket

I think this works on treasure split as it is typical to use shares - also shown as percentages.

Example
    6 PC's: 1&1/2 shares (5% ea, 30% total)

NPC's (40% total)
    1 Bosun: 1 share
    20 Crewman: 3/4 share
    4 Swab: 1/2 share

Ship: (30% total)

23. - Top - End - #413
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

It's probably easier to just give everyone a share of loot/reward money when we get it, rather than keep track of how many days we spend on the water. How detailed do we want to get on the book keeping? Do we also want to track things like fresh water and food stores? It seems like these little details have the potential to get tedious and snow ball. I know some people get gungho about it and if that's you, be my guest, but for my drothers, I would like a simplified accounting system.

I am fine with that gear split. When we get to port, we should invest money into making sure every crewmen has some manner of weapon. combat drills probably wouldn't kill us either. Probably.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Abstracting what can be abstracted is fine with me. Just wanting to establish a baseline.

And yeah, in my opinion once we hit port we need to buy up a good stock of light crossbows and simple light armor, and if one could be found that would do a better job than some of the PCs, prioritize hiring somebody who can train the crew to hit the broad side of a barn more often than not. We might want to upgrade them to pistols/muskets at some point, but that'l be much more expensive than we'll want to manage now.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

We can handle them however the group wants, with the understanding that the more you want them to do the more we'll have to keep track of them.
    For example someone that can navigate/pilot the ship while you guys are sleeping, on an island, or sneaking off somewhere, will require a bit more than someone just doing general care of the ship. If you want the crew to just be a buffer against enemy crew and apply a bit of damage that is going to be a lot simpler than if you want them to interrupt spell-casters or subdue enemies or other sorts of "combat maneuver" type things.

As for paying them, I think finding a reasonable baseline, as mentioned, then making sure they get at least that would be fine. Same with food, a reasonable expectation of food needed, and potentially any sort of fishing gear (not what you're currently doing, thinking more like here's some poles, catch some fish while we're waiting around) and we'll just assume it is ok, rather than tracking specific saved and used quantities of food.

I haven't settled on an exact figure for damage that the crew can do, but was looking at the normal dice damage progression per 3 crew, so 3 crew is 1d1, 9 crew is 1d3, 15 crew is 1d6 since it is swarm like damage and they're not rolling to hit or anything like that. Also 3 crew per square, so 3 crew would cover 1 squares, 6 crew would be 2 squares, 15 crew is 5 squares and they can hit as many things as they can reach (like a normal swarm), no AOO, but they can reach adjacent squares. That should fit with mostly how I had them before, though I hadn't specifically planned it out previously. That should give us all a baseline of expectation for what they can do and how you might want to split them up. If they're upgraded (level or gear or buff) probably increase the die size by one, or maybe a +1, depending how it feels when you actually get the trained and equipped.

Not much on background for the re-recruit characters yet, but let me know what you think of any particular character and if you think they'll be a good fit.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

We can handle them however the group wants, with the understanding that the more you want them to do the more we'll have to keep track of them.
    For example someone that can navigate/pilot the ship while you guys are sleeping, on an island, or sneaking off somewhere, will require a bit more than someone just doing general care of the ship. If you want the crew to just be a buffer against enemy crew and apply a bit of damage that is going to be a lot simpler than if you want them to interrupt spell-casters or subdue enemies or other sorts of "combat maneuver" type things.

As for paying them, I think finding a reasonable baseline, as mentioned, then making sure they get at least that would be fine. Same with food, a reasonable expectation of food needed, and potentially any sort of fishing gear (not what you're currently doing, thinking more like here's some poles, catch some fish while we're waiting around) and we'll just assume it is ok, rather than tracking specific saved and used quantities of food.

I haven't settled on an exact figure for damage that the crew can do, but was looking at the normal dice damage progression per 3 crew, so 3 crew is 1d1, 9 crew is 1d3, 15 crew is 1d6 since it is swarm like damage and they're not rolling to hit or anything like that. Also 3 crew per square, so 3 crew would cover 1 squares, 6 crew would be 2 squares, 15 crew is 5 squares and they can hit as many things as they can reach (like a normal swarm), no AOO, but they can reach adjacent squares. That should fit with mostly how I had them before, though I hadn't specifically planned it out previously. That should give us all a baseline of expectation for what they can do and how you might want to split them up. If they're upgraded (level or gear or buff) probably increase the die size by one, or maybe a +1, depending how it feels when you actually get the trained and equipped.

Not much on background for the re-recruit characters yet, but let me know what you think of any particular character and if you think they'll be a good fit.
    okay i like the idea of the base simple keep track of food stores ect for crew and keep it semi-simple for combat, the crossbows idea has merit as anyone can get trained in he usage and they are cheap. - as far as book keeping goes I say (KISS) keep it simple st.. *silly* anyways.. we need to finish this fishing trip meet back up with Robel, turn in the catch at the port - get paid, then pay off this crew, then keep a few if they want let the rest go, go seek hiring others for certain, and maybe hire a bosun to train them for crossbows.
    as far as how to split treasure, magic items PC's only, gold or misc. valuables ect, split into the crew at X cost or percentage.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Not sure how open Olivia will be to being checked over or cast on, so I'll leave that to you guys.
    interesting.... she is sick as a dog presumably.. and most folk are not to keen on unknown visitors while uber sick, for the pc group I think we will take that as it comes thing, if its crew they might get yelled at.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

profession(cook)
    [roll0] this is assuming you've switched your background whaling to cooking as you mentioned, but didn't change on your sheet. Would be +10, applying a -2 for not having all the right tools/spices/etc.

Not sure how open Olivia will be to being checked over or cast on, so I'll leave that to you guys.
    I was waiting to level up.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I was hoping to cast a cure poison spell, but I gots to wait two levels. Saddest of pants.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Forgot that as well as being level 4, you can each pick one skill between intimidate, diplomacy, any craft, or any profession and get a free point in it. As long as you don't currently have any points in the skill and it is one you would have been using with the crew and\or repairs\work on the ship. Essentially initial training on whatever it was.