Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Not having much of a chance to post, at least not enough for a good response when I've got to do it all on a phone. Will try to get something before vacation is over, but been busy.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I have returned. I apologize for my absence.

3. - Top - End - #513
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Bodaku rushed off without introducing himself. Bad druid. :P

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm back from my trip, though yesterday didn't give me any time to think about posting and my schedule is all off so can hardly stay awake after work. Hoping to get something posted tonight but not positive I'll have time.
    Thanks for the patience everyone.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    I'm back from my trip, though yesterday didn't give me any time to think about posting and my schedule is all off so can hardly stay awake after work. Hoping to get something posted tonight but not positive I'll have time.
    Thanks for the patience everyone.
    ehh its vacation - my planed vacation is december

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Sam, think about it for a moment, even without specifically identifying anything this stuff is clearly contraband, most likely religious paraphernalia banned in the city. If we lay claim to it, and Maeral wants to get back at us for in effect stealing her valuable goods, all she has to do is tell the dock authorities that we have it and we go to jail for the crime of smuggling. We also don't have a clue who it is being sold to, so we would have a hell of a time making a profit off of the stuff.

We could turn Maeral in instead, handing over the chest as proof, but all that does is rob us of a potential working partner.
    its not a matter of that it was a matter of running the gather information/diplomacy/bluff as far as she thought possible.
    and while olivia could have it identified via extract its time that is not available
    and who knows Maeral could see this as a good thing
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-07-26 at 08:03 PM.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Welcome back travellers.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way I am making a point of RPing my bad charisma stat, but I try not to ruin stuff. I am an avid fan of RPing bad stats - though I have overdone it a few times. If I step into that territory, just tell me.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It's nice to know so many of you guys have confidence in my leadership ability
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

10. - Top - End - #520

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    I mean Bodaku and Olivia look at you like your weight means something so ...

Also knowing IRL that leading is annoying to me, plus it doesn't even PAY here.

Azaro does live the most romanticized pirate code there is so if your lead is in any way bad, he is going to get all chaotic good up in your behind!

Also Azaro has a bicorne with Skull and Crossbones on it, though naturally he does not wear that in harbors. It basically saves him from drowning.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-07-30 at 02:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

not that Olivia would have issue with Ariadne as captain or even Bodaku for that matter and hoping that the same is in return but meh. I think after this meeting a definitive should be decided use the standard 1 vote for any (not including self) it seems there are 6 of us so in the event of a tie the gm breaks the tie

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    not that Olivia would have issue with Ariadne as captain or even Bodaku for that matter and hoping that the same is in return but meh. I think after this meeting a definitive should be decided use the standard 1 vote for any (not including self) it seems there are 6 of us so in the event of a tie the gm breaks the tie
    Agreed. Bodaku said Adrienne as captain to make a joke because he associates authority with problems. I think we can all agree that we will function as a standard dnd group in terms of decision making.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    Agreed. Bodaku said Adrienne as captain to make a joke because he associates authority with problems. I think we can all agree that we will function as a standard dnd group in terms of decision making.
    that is a for certain, roger roger, 10-4 good buddy.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Ettin in the Playground

Not sure if Azaro and Gerran were considered to go into the meeting, but I assume everyone did. Even if you aren't actually part of the team, this is of course a potential choice that will impact everyone.

15. - Top - End - #525

Personally I could do with the whole stuff being over. I realize this is the big payoff for the rest of the group but I am kinda bored playing "sailing ship simulator" over here.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It doesn't sound like there's too much of a disagreement here, so if there aren't major objections to anything that's been said, we can probably wrap the meeting up and get back to getting ready to weigh anchor.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    but I am kinda bored playing "sailing ship simulator" over here.
    so um the name of the game is Adventure on the Inner Seas, sailing ship are involved yes i expect there will be non-ship stuff, just wondering what your expectations are/were?
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-02 at 07:35 AM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

so um the name of the game is Adventure on the Inner Seas, sailing ship are involved yes i expect there will be non-ship stuff, just wondering what your expectations are/were?
    Pretty sure all he's getting bored of is the discussions on how we will eventually run the ship when it eventually does set sail. It does look like it could take a while, so I can understand.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Pretty sure all he's getting bored of is the discussions on how we will eventually run the ship when it eventually does set sail. It does look like it could take a while, so I can understand.
    yes i see that also

20. - Top - End - #530

just wondering what your expectations are/were?
    I know this management and inter party RP is important but we are doing this for a month now IRL and it is starting to get really boring.

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    I know this management and inter party RP is important but we are doing this for a month now IRL and it is starting to get really boring.
    yeah i hear ya, hopefully the gm will pick up the pace

22. - Top - End - #532
    Ettin in the Playground

It is hard to know at times if various players have seen what is going on and don't have anything to add, or if they simply haven't seen it yet. I'll try to speed things up.

To help in speeding some things up, go ahead and tell me OOC what you're going to look for in a crew. How many are you going to pick up? How many focused more on sailing versus better at fighting, melee or ranged? How many crew leads? Any specializations you're looking for (someone good at cooking, or carpentry, etc.) What are you going to look for in someone that you can trust to leave the ship with when you're at port for a day or checking out some island?

What provisions, weapons, and miscellaneous stuff are you going to pick up for the trip. Do you have a particular direction/country you would like to head to for your next stop?

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would suggest a normal crew complement for the ship size to start, plus 25-50% extra, for extra hands/bodies given the nature of our work.

In terms of fighting, we probably don't need to be trying to make sure everyone has formal training already, but most should be in or near "can hit the broad side of a barn" territory with simple weapons. Get perhaps a half dozen with some significant combat experience, and we should be able to run training drills to cover the rest. The important thing is that even if holding a weapon is not their job, they all need to be willing to get into conflict at all. We don't need to hire scared fishermen that break and run at the slightest threat.

Aside from that handful of fighters, I would focus on setting most of the crew up for ranged fire support. Until they learn to truly hold their own, they're likely to be of most use massing up and firing light crossbows.

Bodaku can likely use an assistant for cooking, and we'll need a fairly skilled bosun and a small team answering to him/her for repair work.

In terms of team leads and people likely to be left watching the ship, aside from the necessary skills I think we'd be watching for people with a reason to care about the work beyond the promised money. Personal reasons to go after pirates and other motives along those lines.

I feel like I'm missing something, but that sounds like a good start at least.

For direction, how do people feel about using the maps left by the last pirate captain and checking out some of those points of interest?
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-02 at 04:16 PM.

24. - Top - End - #534

For me, all that stuff is a back drop for adventures. I am fine with whatever.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

in addition to other comments

Crew. How many are you going to pick up?
    I would say minimum plus half again as many. or 1.5 times

How many focused more on sailing versus better at fighting, melee or ranged?
    all must be sailors AND 75% good at melee, 25% good at ranged & melee

How many crew leads? 1 Bosun - should be absolutely trusted.
    under the Bosun maybe 3 leads one per 8 hour shift

Any specializations you're looking for (someone good at cooking, or carpentry, etc.)
    of the crew sailors a portion maybe 5 or so should be good at carpentry, another 2 or 3 at canvas repair maybe a few good with other repair type work. should have maybe 1 that is a decent cook and one that is decent with healing or the ability to apply a bandage.

What are you going to look for in someone that you can trust to leave the ship with when you're at port for a day or checking out some island? 1 Bosun - should be absolutely trusted, recommendations from other honest captains, lords ect

What provisions, weapons, and miscellaneous stuff are you going to pick up for the trip.
    what ever is essential, simple melee weapons like morning stars and short swords, and then simple light or heavy crossbows

Do you have a particular direction/country you would like to head to for your next stop?[/QUOTE]

I am certain that our current meeting person can suggest a few good spots

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

The normal compliment of a ship this size would probably be around 24-30 general crew plus several lower officers. One for each group, so you can split the crew into various groups to do different things, so 3 groups of 10 or 6 groups of 5, etc. or some other combo, flexibility versus strength in numbers. Simple melee weapons and crossbows or bows?

Do you want to check for the NPC in charge in your absence in-character or have someone suggested to you?

The maps you got are the area you were in, Sodden Lands, and Shackles. So not a whole lot of ports, the Sodden Lands has a few neutral ports but a lot more aggressive races. Both there and Shackles will have smaller groups but less neutral ships. There are more friendly areas further past the Shackles. The Shackle will have more neutral cities, but the people will be a lot more likely to take targets of opportunity.
    Heading into the actual Inner Sea and north will have more friendly and neutral ships and cities and more of a chance of running into much larger ships. More options to trade that way too.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    The normal compliment of a ship this size would probably be around 24-30 general crew plus several lower officers. One for each group, so you can split the crew into various groups to do different things, so 3 groups of 10 or 6 groups of 5, etc. or some other combo, flexibility versus strength in numbers. Simple melee weapons and crossbows or bows?

Do you want to check for the NPC in charge in your absence in-character or have someone suggested to you?

The maps you got are the area you were in, Sodden Lands, and Shackles. So not a whole lot of ports, the Sodden Lands has a few neutral ports but a lot more aggressive races. Both there and Shackles will have smaller groups but less neutral ships. There are more friendly areas further past the Shackles. The Shackle will have more neutral cities, but the people will be a lot more likely to take targets of opportunity.
    Heading into the actual Inner Sea and north will have more friendly and neutral ships and cities and more of a chance of running into much larger ships. More options to trade that way too.
    if we go with 30 crew not including lower officers split them into 3 8hr shifts so 10 men each put 1 lead over them who would
    then report to the bosun whom we could check for and also have several suggested also

as for where we go if the current meeting is not fruitful with suggestions we can decide where based on this info I am sure

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ettin in the Playground

The suggestions from this meeting are going to be based on where you guys want to go. Saves us time and me effort to build info on where you want to go rather than coming up with 4 ideas just to have 3 of them passed on.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Uh, I would love to add to the discussion, but Gerran would not interrupt. He came to manhood in a nation that strictly delineates between castes. As a ninja, he was near the bottom of that caste system. He will literally take orders from Ariadne. Both because it is comforting and because it is culturally right.

All that says Gerran would refuse to take part in the meeting. So, as a player, I would love to add my 2cp to the running of the ship, and I might do that OOC, but Gerran would not.

Azaro and y'all will slowly cancel Gerran's cultural baggage, but he's a couple days off the boat.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Crew: we need a navigator. Getting lost at sea is death.

Ship: is our ship armed? Mangonel? Ballista? Small cannon?

How long will we be out? How much food and water will we need for that duration? The remaining stowage can be used for arms/armor/treasure.

What kind of battles do we wish to fight? The PCs are almost all focused on spellcasting. Ranged combat seems to be a win for us, melee not so much. Azaro as melee, maybe?

There. My player 2cp, since Gerran's too traditionbound.