Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

I really focus on melee tho. Most of my spells and my whole build is devoted to it.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

as PC's go mine is both melee and ranged no spells
    up on page 1 Is a link to each pc...

edit

Chaptain - Charisma - leadership in general
    Navigator - Wis or Int - knowledge (Geography) and survival
    Chaplain - Wis or Cha - crew spiritual wellbeing
    Surgeon - Wis or Int - Heal, tends to wounded
    Mate - Int or Wis or Cha - general running the crew, shooting, leading attacks, etc.
    Engineer - Int or Wis - repairs and modifications, especially emergency
    Look-Out - Wis or Int - helps Captain, Mate, Navigator as well as the obvious

based on the above and what I see for attributes and overall generalized character this is what I believe the position shakedown is.

Bodaku * Captain
    Olivia * 1st mate, engineer, lookout
    Ariadne * navigator, lookout
    Azaro * surgeon, lookout
    Gerran * chaplin, lookout

if votes come down for captain I will vote - Bodaku
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-03 at 08:00 AM.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Zurambas, no, we do not have any sort of ship mounted weapons at present. Obtaining some is a priority, and if we have enough funds after initial hires and repairs I was thinking about looking into a bow mounted ballista and/or perhaps a couple of scorpions along the rails. But for the immediate moment, we're lucky to have a ship at all. Ariadne can cover the navigator role quite well. Aside from having invested in the relevant skills, she has at will Know Direction castings and an alternate racial ability that flat out states she cannot ever be lost at sea. Of course having a backup for if non standard navigational hazards crop up while she's asleep or if she becomes incapacitated would be good, but I think we have enough people with enough basic skills to handle that without seeking out another expert.

Samduke, it does not sound like Bodaku would be happy as captain, and he has not been conducting himself in a manner that crewmen are likely to respect in that role (no offense intended), the latter of which in my estimation is much more important than a minor difference in Cha scores. You can really like someone and yet not trust their judgement enough to follow their orders without question. I think Bodaku would be better off as primary lookout when not running the ship's mess. Otherwise I have no objections to the suggested crew roles.

I will also reiterate that ranged ability is of more importance for general crew members, and not just because we have more melee oriented PCs than not. Ranged is always useful in ship to ship, and even when boarding or being boarded, only a portion of the crew will be able to engage in melee at the same time, so the rest are useless unless they can contribute at range.

In regards to our first destination, I think we need a shakedown run before trying to take on a major target. I would suggest either starting off our relationship with Maeral's company on a good foot by taking valuable cargo somewhere interesting, or trying to hunt down things of value at the points of interest marked off by the pirate we took the ship from. Either should give us time and opportunity to mold the crew into something that could handle chasing down another pirate vessel with something resembling aplomb. The former is more likely to pay off monetarily, the latter will let us put the untested crew through their paces a little better.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-03 at 02:08 PM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ettin in the Playground

In terms of distance, Mediogalti Island and the islands you were fishing around are the closest places. Really you wouldn't be too far away from where you were fishing if you did head to Mediogalti Island, if you wanted to detour there, and hit both.

Ariadne does have the better personality to lead, even if her class skills and stats aren't actually better (much like Roy is the better face than Elan even though he's got the charisma). You guys can have anyone you want to lead, just saying that it is more than just stats.

I believe these are pretty much the same, but here is the base siege rules, if we think it needs modification beyond that we can see later.
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasteri...siege-engines/
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasteri...siege-engines/

They are a little on the pricey side at this point, but they are available if you want them.
    If you would prefer cannons to ballistas, the other book I have has those but I don't have a good way of linking them for you guys at this point and would have to write it up. They start at about the same stats and price as the light ballista.
    There are of course also things like crank crossbows, repeating crossbows, and launching crossbows. If you want to pick up standard crossbows and mount them to the ship rails it will half the improper size penalty (so a large would be -1 rather than -2, huge -2 instead of -4).
    Crew proficient in any specific exotic weapons will demand higher pay.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Samduke, it does not sound like Bodaku would be happy as captain, and he has not been conducting himself in a manner that crewmen are likely to respect in that role (no offense intended), the latter of which in my estimation is much more important than a minor difference in Cha scores. You can really like someone and yet not trust their judgement enough to follow their orders without question. I think Bodaku would be better off as primary lookout when not running the ship's mess. Otherwise I have no objections to the suggested crew roles.

okay as I stated attributes and overall generalized character
    but based on the further information Bodaku based on other factors makes a better lookout that is fine then the adjusted roles would be I think they fit nicely also

Ariadne* Captain, navigator
    Olivia * 1st mate, engineer
    Bodaku * lookout
    Azaro * surgeon
    Gerran * chaplin

as for some sort of siege weapon, ballista - a very big crossbow it mounts bow or stern only on a boat this size, scorpions on the rails makes sense. having the crew weaponry switched to more ranged and less melee is fine I just tossed out numbers and simple weapons that anyone could use.
    Cannons this boat is simply not big enough to warrant the weight and expense of cannon, maybe after we have a bigger ship

6. - Top - End - #546
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

In regards to Maeral's last query, is there anything we can offer as assurance?

Come to think of it, is there some sort of escrow service in the city? Perhaps depositing some of the valuables we have left over in there would do? Basically set it up so if we don't come back in 6 months or so, Maeral can claim them. We don't have near enough to actually cover the cost of ship, but perhaps it would be enough to help make running off with the ship and becoming wanted for theft questionable.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ettin in the Playground

You did have at least one magic item that I don't think anyone wanted. As well as gems and jewelry that you haven't technically sold yet. It would be pretty easy to find a bank that could do an escrow type of setup. Matching the value wouldn't be necessary, but at very least a good faith gesture.
    Also if you could find anyone to vouch for you, that might help.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    You did have at least one magic item that I don't think anyone wanted. As well as gems and jewelry that you haven't technically sold yet. It would be pretty easy to find a bank that could do an escrow type of setup. Matching the value wouldn't be necessary, but at very least a good faith gesture.
    Also if you could find anyone to vouch for you, that might help.
    yeah i think thats about what we have, we could get the boat captain we just worked for to vouch for us.

I think at one point we discussed ship names but left that at the time
    so anyone has a name or two suggest away then @gm if you can tell me the cost of re-flagging the ship Olivia will probably cover that out of her pocket

Ship names

Sea Wytch
    Revenge

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Names are always tough.

The Sea Witch has a good ring to it, but it would seem a little on the egotistical side to effectively name the ship after Ariadne, even if she does end up as captain, this isn't just her story.
    As to The Revenge, I'm not sure that's what we're about as a group, perhaps something a little more uplifting?

A couple of suggestions for somewhat traditional names, Spirit of the Sea, The Typhoon, The North Wind.
    We could also go for something that is threatening in an oblique way along the lines of Serial Peacemaker, though I'm drawing a blank there.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Names are always tough.

The Sea Witch has a good ring to it, but it would seem a little on the egotistical side to effectively name the ship after Ariadne, even if she does end up as captain, this isn't just her story.
    As to The Revenge, I'm not sure that's what we're about as a group, perhaps something a little more uplifting?

A couple of suggestions for somewhat traditional names, Spirit of the Sea, The Typhoon, The North Wind.
    We could also go for something that is threatening in an oblique way along the lines of Serial Peacemaker, though I'm drawing a blank there.
    heh i did that without any thought about your character - though you have some interesting thoughts how about these for suggested so far..

The Sea Wytch
    The Sea Pacifier
    The Typhoon
    The Northern

11. - Top - End - #551
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If Ariadne confirms Gerran as chaplain...he will do it. But, he has zero experience as a leader and less as a religious figure. Sporeegg, expect Gerran to have long discussions with him about religion...

As to names:
    The Foxeater (we hunt pirates)
    The Windrunner (though I'm sure it's been done)
    The Zephyr
    The Drunken Poacher

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Zurambas View Post
    If Ariadne confirms Gerran as chaplain...he will do it. But, he has zero experience as a leader and less as a religious figure. Sporeegg, expect Gerran to have long discussions with him about religion...

As to names:
    The Foxeater (we hunt pirates)
    The Windrunner (though I'm sure it's been done)
    The Zephyr
    The Drunken Poacher
    Ariadne* Captain, navigator
    Olivia * 1st mate, engineer
    Bodaku * lookout
    Azaro * surgeon
    Gerran * chaplin
    these were based soley on attributes and generalized skill sets I dont think it would matter if you filled that role perfectly or not

ship name ideas
    The Sea Wytch
    The Sea Pacifier
    The Typhoon
    The Northern
    The Spirit of the Sea
    The North Wind
    The Foxeater
    The Windrunner
    The Zephyr
    The Drunken Poacher

13. - Top - End - #553

Quote Originally Posted by Zurambas View Post
    Sporeegg, expect Gerran to have long discussions with him about religion...
    You do realize my religion boils down to:

1) Take what you want by force.

2) Drinking is heavily encouraged.

3) Pray to Besmara once stuff goes south?

No really, that is the canon description of my god:

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder Wiki
    Pirates don't tend to be a very religious lot, and generally only call on her on their death bed or if in extreme danger.
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-04 at 01:54 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

My advice? Fill the roles your character is suited for, and don't worry too much if that doesn't fit one of the prescribed slots perfectly.

I think Gerran could do well as a Bosun. He'd be overall responsible for the physical well being of the ship, its equipment, supplies, and their respective maintenance. Not in the sense of wielding a mallet himself much of the time, but rather in terms of identifying problems and keeping the workers taking care of them coordinated, and making sure the captain is apprised as to how much in the way of supplies remain. Doing the job right would involve crawling all over the ship from time to time, which he could physically handle quite well.

As to the ship name, we don't need to be discussing this forever. Lets get to narrowing them down so we can move on. Among those mentioned, I think my favorite three are foxeater, spirit of the sea, sea wytch.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-04 at 02:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ettin in the Playground

On the other hand, Gerran wouldn't really know how your religion differs from other religions on Golarian. And a religion doesn't have to be good to recruit or draw people in.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay foxeater, spirit of the sea, sea wytch
    others can weigh in their opinions of course I do not think of foxeater as a ship name personally
    either of the others is fine
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-04 at 03:11 PM.

17. - Top - End - #557

My advice? Fill the roles your character is suited for, and don't worry too much if that doesn't fit one of the prescribed slots perfectly.
    Honestly, assigning roles on the ship feels a bit like "playing house" when we were small. "You're the dog."

I don't particularly care for roles. We do a bit of adventure together and figure out who is half decent at what. Of course you can't do all the roles spontaneously. But assigning chaplain before you even know with whom the crew build up the most trust (and whose player actually enjoys that kind of RP?)?

We need a bare minimum. Maps, a navigator, a captain and grunts for the menial labor. Everything else, from quartermaster to cook to surgeon to boatswain imho is stuff I don't really care about.

If you appoint Azaro Chaplain, he will probably suck at it because under his happy facade he is a broken wreck that accuses himself of sinking his last ship. If you appoint him surgeon, he'll probably be fine managing.

And jesus, do I not care about the ship's name. Usually the ship is named after somthing that ties the crew to the ship. How did you get the ship? How was the - I presume - battle for it? Did the previous owner part with it easily? What was the ship called before? If we are doing a name, we do it proper and don't just pull a name out of our collective behinds.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

On the other hand, Gerran wouldn't really know how your religion differs from other religions on Golarian. And a religion doesn't have to be good to recruit or draw people in.
    Exactly. Chaplain is perfectly fine as a position; Gerran will just use Bluff instead of Knowledge(Religion).

I do agree with optimumsquare: Gerran's personality and talents would fit bosun quite well, probably better tham chaplain. It would get him salty quickly.

My choice of names is completely OOC. And I like Foxeater or the Drunken Poacher. The others seem too generic. Which is Spore's complaint, I think. The name has character, sort of an in-joke for the crew.

Gerran does care, about all that is going on. But he doesn't believe he has the social standing to speak about it, so he remains silent, allowing his "betters" to decide.
    Last edited by Zurambas; 2019-08-04 at 03:39 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

Exact positions doesn't really matter, that what was laid out in the supplement book, but after running the game I've realized a lot of that wouldn't really work in PBP as it would just be too slow. So at this point it is more what everyone likes to do, so if crew go down there aren't 3 players that go to help them or alternatively they are completey ignored, or 4 different players giving the crew conflicting orders or everyone trying to climb the mast to the crow's nest when you see an enemy.

Crew and item loadout still need to be specified, as there seems to be some question as to how many do to close combat and how many to do range, as well as any sort of siege or mounted weapons.

Ship name and flag are entirely cosmetic, but will become of note once you become noteworthy
    Bohemien Corsair
    Eccentric Privateers
    Hawker
    Raider's Demise
    (as other hunter type names, and/or with your odd mix of characters)

edit: So I was thinking about the crew. Maybe it would be simplier to have 5 groups of 6+officer, that way each player has one group of crew to take care of and can equip as they see fit and command. For example, Bodaku could have a group with crossbows, Araidne have some melee crew to protect, Olivia crew to run a ballista, etc. Choice of simple weapons, two skills and one background skill. So if you want your crew to help heal, or acrobatics if you want them jumping/swinging between ships, crafting (carpentry), or profession (fishing) to help bring in food while your waiting. Clearly they'll still be able to do things untrained just like normal, but that's what they'll be better at. (not quite sure how to handle proficiency with exotic/siege weapons yet. I don't think we'll need to worry about that just yet so we little time to see how this works out)
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-08-05 at 03:46 AM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

edit: So I was thinking about the crew. Maybe it would be simplier to have 5 groups of 6+officer, that way each player has one group of crew to take care of and can equip as they see fit and command. For example, Bodaku could have a group with crossbows, Araidne have some melee crew to protect, Olivia crew to run a ballista, etc. Choice of simple weapons, two skills and one background skill. So if you want your crew to help heal, or acrobatics if you want them jumping/swinging between ships, crafting (carpentry), or profession (fishing) to help bring in food while your waiting. Clearly they'll still be able to do things untrained just like normal, but that's what they'll be better at. (not quite sure how to handle proficiency with exotic/siege weapons yet. I don't think we'll need to worry about that just yet so we little time to see how this works out)
    I think that is a great idea
    so I will just get Olivias crew out and down -
    1:
    MW. Heavy Ballista 800 gp 3d8 19–20 120 ft. 1 crew
    ballista bolts 30 gp and weigh 20 pounds each (x10 :300gp) * I will deduct this 1100 from Olivia's funds personally

light crossbows x6 @ 35 =110
    morningstar x6 @8 =48
    total 158 - also paid for by olivia

Her crew of 6
    Crew leader has the Master Siege Engineer feat & exotic weapon Siege engines Balista, light crossbow 20 bolts and morningstars
    5x Crew have: exotic weapon Siege engines Balista, light crossbow 20 bolts and morningstars
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-05 at 06:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sounds like a good way to handle it.

That stated, for the heavy melee group it would be nice to have more than simple weapons. I would suggest setting them up with pikes that get discarded when things tighten up in favor of sword and shield. What would it take to upgrade the offered package, aside from extra pay for those with greater skills? I was thinking that we could snoop around whatever office in the city handles bounties and try to pick up a couple of experienced Fighters already interested in this sort of work.

Okay, so how is this for a setup?
    Heavy melee- Azaro
    Light/acrobatic/sneaky melee- Gerran
    Gunners/siege weapons- Olivia
    Crossbow fire support- Bodaku
    Crossbow fire support- Ariadne

And then the skills would of course be picked depending upon the roles each group handles outside of conflict. Most of them probably ought to be profession: sailor and one other skill.

At least that is what makes sense to me out of character. In character, there might be some hesitation about handing control of the toughest crew men over to an admitted pirate...
    Last edited by Daishain; 2019-08-05 at 12:32 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Oh my. Shame on me for only checking the IC thread. My apologizes. Here is a machine gun barrage on my thoughts on the various issues that have come up since I last checked in here;
    • Daishain hit the nail on the head. Bodaku would be a **** captain. He is very specifically a support class, not a leader class. Although he does have a high(ish) cha bonus, he does not really have a whole lot else going for him. Diplomacy, intimidate, and other social skills are not class features for druids, and I have no intention of multiclassing just to pick them up. His skill set is much more suited for the lookout/scout role. He can use Shaddup to go check things out from afar as well as turn into a bird/fish for a more personal touch.
    • Obviously in spite of these advantages, his primary role will be cook. Duh.
    • As has been previously stated, I am all about food/eating things names. I vote Foxeater
    • Good call on the Ballistas but Samduke brought up something that bears thinking about. To quote "maybe after we have a bigger ship". How much do we want to invest on something that we may trade in for a newer/better model. Maybe it doesn't matter. Erolas is pretty generous with the loot (thank you GM. Were this an in person game, many tributes of doritos, pizza and beer would be yours), so maybe when we get to the point where we want to by a bigger ship we'll have more than enough gold, but 20,000 gold for a brand new ship, and not one that is even made for combat, is a lot of gold, even for higher level characters. Something to consider. Don't get me wrong, I think we should be well armed, but if we're going to trade up we shouldn't invest every last gp on this thing.
    • Samduke, there is no reason you need to give up all of your gold to buy the ballista when everyone on the ship will benefit. I for one am more than happy to split it with you. That isn't to say that I don't appreciate your generosity, but there is such a thing as being too nice.
    • I agree on the concepts of crew groups with combat roles, but five groups six would make for a crew of thirty, plus oruselves and the officers. I was under the impression the ship was smaller.
    • I think we're getting to the point where we should make a character sheet for the ship. Keep essential stats like cargo capacity, speed, weapons, inventory etc. all in one document that can be accessed and edited by everyone. This would be a great place to keep a group inventory as well as tracking other relevant information such as leads, amount needed to pay off the boat, things like that. I'm happy to draw up a template if you'll give me until Sunday.
    • I've said this before and I'll say this again, I don't want to be bogged down in the weeds of management (another reason Bodaku shouldn't do management). I deal with enough of that stuff in real life that I don't want to do it here. Having said that, I realize that some people do really like that stuff and I respect that. I just ask that we keep the plot moving and don't let the minutae slow us down. I think that overall, we've done a really good job of that but it bears repeating.

TL;DR: I have some thoughts!

One thought I do want to address even if you skipped all that is how long do we want to stay in port? Not game time but post time. Do we want to just handwave repairs, crew hiring and supply purchasing or do we want to role play it out a bit? We have a couple of hooks here such as the job boards or ventures our partners recomend to us. It probably would be more convenient story wise to go with our partners recomendations and would lead to the fewest in port post but what do you guys think?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

olivia spending money on ship mounted weapon , it is removable and can be mounted on any larger ship we might get
    if the Party wishes to split the cost of the ballista then fine its a one or all thing I think in the area of cost
    otherwise olivia would juist go purchase herself a new MW dragoon pistol and ammo\
    the maces and crossbows for her crew, and worry on the ballista if the party can split the costs

Spoiler: Vessel Characteristics
    Show

A section is a 10 foot × 10 foot x 10 foot piece of a ship roughly 1,000 cubic feet
    Hull sections are used for recording combat damage to a ship, and serve no other purpose.
    Propulsion: Sails: A sailing ship’s speed varies with the wind conditions.
    As long as the vessel is steering downwind or across the wind (within 90º of downwind)
    maximum speed is equal to the speed given in the vessel’s statistics block multiplied by the speed multiplier for wind strength
    within 45º to 90º of the wind, is reduced to half speed. a ship can tack close to the wind and make good a course
    Maneuverability: Boats and ships don’t turn on a copper piece and lack anything like a brake
    Maximum Speed Change: maximum amount by which the vessel can change its speed
    Reverse: Only oared vessels can travel in reverse & its speed was zero in the preceding round
    Turn: How much the vessel can turn after covering the stated distance
    Turn in Place: Normally, oared vessels are the only vessels that can turn in place. The vessel must begin the round with a speed of zero to turn in place
    Maximum Turn: How much the vessel can turn in any one space
    Statistics:Size: The size of the vehicle, using the same size categories as creatures do
    Seaworthiness: The ship’s overall sturdiness. This modifier is applied to any Profession (sailor) checks the captain or master makes in order to avoid foundering, sinking, and hazards that large, well-built vessels avoid more easily than small and frail ones.
    Shiphandling: The ship’s agility and nimbleness
    Speed: The ship’s speed and its nautical maneuverability rating.
    Overall AC: The AC of the ship as a whole
    Hull Sections: The number of hull sections
    Sink: The number of destroyed hull sections necessary to sink the ship outright
    Section hp: The number of hit points and the hardness of each hull section.
    Section AC: The Armor Class of each hull section
    Rigging Sections: The number of rigging sections the ship possesses. Generally, each rigging section is equal to one mast
    Rigging hp: The number of hit points and the hardness of each rigging section.
    Ram: The damage dealt by the vehicle per 10 feet of speed it currently possesses if it rams another object. For example, a ship with a base ram damage of 3d6 deals 3d6 points of damage if moving at a speed of 10 feet, 6d6 at a speed of 20 feet, 9d6 at a speed of 30 feet, and so on
    Mounts: The number of weapons the ship can mount. A light mount is suitable for a ballista; a heavy mount is suitable for a catapult.
    Space: The length and width of the area taken up by the ship.
    Height: The height of the main deck above the waterline. Most large vessels will have deckhouses, forecastles, or sterncastles that are above this level.
    Watch: The number of crewmembers necessary to make course changes, adjust for wind changes, and generally handle the ship
    Complement: The number of crewmembers, passengers, and soldiers who can be carried by the vessel for extended voyaging
    Cargo: The capacity of the vehicle’s hold, in tons (1 ton = 2,000 pounds). Most ships are slowed to 3/4 normal speed if carrying half this load or more
    Cost: The vehicle’s cost in gold pieces

Alternative
    The narrative system assumes that the ship’s master is making appropriate maneuvers to open, close, or hold the range, so it is not necessary to deal with precise ship maneuvering.

what we have I think is somewhere between these two ships

* Base sailing speed in light winds (×1 speed multiple)
    Caravel (sailing ship) 30/7 3 mph* 10,000 gp
    Galley 300/10/160 1-1/2 mph*or 2 mph 30,000 gp

Caravel: Colossal vehicle; Seaworthiness +4; Shiphandling
    +2; Speed wind × 30 ft. (average); Overall AC –3;
    Hull sections 24 (sink 6 sections); Section hp 80 (hardness
    5); Section AC 3; Rigging Sections 3; Rigging hp 80 (hardness
    0), AC 1; Ram 4d6; Mounts 2 light and 1 heavy; Space
    60 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 10 ft. (draft 10 ft.); Complement 30;
    Watch 7; Cargo 120 tons (Speed wind × 15 ft. if 60 tons or
    more); Cost 10,000 gp.

Galley: Colossal vehicle; Seaworthiness +0; Shiphandling
    –2; Speed wind × 15 ft. or oars 20 ft. (poor);
    Overall AC –3; Hull sections 78 (sink 19 sections); Section
    hp 80 (hardness 5); Section AC 3; Rigging Sections 2; Rigging
    hp 60 (hardness 0), AC 1; Ram 6d6; Mounts 6 light, 3
    heavy, ram; Space 130 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 15 ft. (draft 15
    ft.); Complement 300; Watch 10 plus 160 rowers; Cargo 150
    tons (Speed wind × 10 ft. or oars 15 ft. if 75 tons or more);
    Cost 30,000 gp.

Ship Item Item attribute
    Colossal vehicle TBD
    Seaworthiness TBD
    Shiphandling TBD
    Speed wind TBD
    Overall AC TBD
    Hull sections TBD
    Section hp TBD
    Section ac TBD
    Rigging Sections TBD
    Rigging hp TBD
    AC TBD
    Ram TBD
    Mounts TBD
    Space TBD
    Height TBD
    Complement TBD
    Watch TBD
    Cargo TBD
    Speed wind TBD
    Cost TBD
    Ship Armory MW leather armor, shortsword, breastplate, musket
    Crew Equipment 6 morning stars, 6 light crossbows with bolts
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-09 at 09:36 AM.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    • Good call on the Ballistas but Samduke brought up something that bears thinking about. To quote "maybe after we have a bigger ship". How much do we want to invest on something that we may trade in for a newer/better model. Maybe it doesn't matter. Erolas is pretty generous with the loot (thank you GM. Were this an in person game, many tributes of doritos, pizza and beer would be yours), so maybe when we get to the point where we want to by a bigger ship we'll have more than enough gold, but 20,000 gold for a brand new ship, and not one that is even made for combat, is a lot of gold, even for higher level characters. Something to consider. Don't get me wrong, I think we should be well armed, but if we're going to trade up we shouldn't invest every last gp on this thing.

So I had originally sort of thought about the ship as loot, but it was pretty clear that the game just doesn't work without the ship and counting the ship towards WBL would mess up character progression.
    As for the ship and value, that is something I've been thinking about too and not quite sure how to handle. If the ships aren't valuable then getting them doesn't mean much, but also I'm not entirely sure how to keep you guys from having an armada and 100k worth of gold by level 6. For upgrading ships, there are quite a few upgrades/options that aren't going to be a lot bigger but will have other advantages. I wouldn't expect to get too much bigger right away as the captains/officers will be a lot higher level and the crews would greatly outnumber you. A slaver galley for instance would probably have 250-300 crew, captain in the level 10-12 range and a few other mid level lesser officers. There are of course several steps between a clipper and a galley.

• I agree on the concepts of crew groups with combat roles, but five groups six would make for a crew of thirty, plus oruselves and the officers. I was under the impression the ship was smaller.

Real life and game terms a ship about this size would run with 20-40 people, although with fewer high level officers. It is closest to a Clipper for real life comparison. So 35 is perfectly reasonable. It would seem pretty cramped, but they were. They could be run with a lot fewer but that wasn't common. In gameplay terms I'm still planning on keeping them as "crew swarms" so each of you have one swarm to control, rather than 6 individual crew, though out of combat having 3 helping you cook while 3 others run the sails or whatever is completely possible.

• I think we're getting to the point where we should make a character sheet for the ship. Keep essential stats like cargo capacity, speed, weapons, inventory etc. all in one document that can be accessed and edited by everyone. This would be a great place to keep a group inventory as well as tracking other relevant information such as leads, amount needed to pay off the boat, things like that. I'm happy to draw up a template if you'll give me until Sunday.
    I had just been thinking a shared spreadsheet for the ship would be a good idea and was thinking about putting one together but hadn't had time to put it together yet. I'm not sure I've got a place to stick a sheet that is editable by everyone (not that it is hard to do, I just don't think I've got anything set up right now, just one more step). The other part of that is I'm using the book Razor Coast: Fire as She Bears for ship design and I don't have a great way of sharing how the ships are done without copyright issues.

Although I had mentioned it earlier and Samduke said she was going to track some of it, but I think something everyone can access and change would be best and don't know what her plans were for sharing what she's got now (as it is too easy to loose a post if we're trying to track it on the forums) The not quoted post has some of it, but doesn't all match with how the ships are spec'd in the book

• I've said this before and I'll say this again, I don't want to be bogged down in the weeds of management (another reason Bodaku shouldn't do management). I deal with enough of that stuff in real life that I don't want to do it here. Having said that, I realize that some people do really like that stuff and I respect that. I just ask that we keep the plot moving and don't let the minutae slow us down. I think that overall, we've done a really good job of that but it bears repeating.

One thought I do want to address even if you skipped all that is how long do we want to stay in port? Not game time but post time. Do we want to just handwave repairs, crew hiring and supply purchasing or do we want to role play it out a bit? We have a couple of hooks here such as the job boards or ventures our partners recomend to us. It probably would be more convenient story wise to go with our partners recomendations and would lead to the fewest in port post but what do you guys think?
    It seemed like for the most part no one wanted to spend too much time on finding the crew and similar In-Character, so I figured I would hand wave most of the searching and hiring of crew and buying of items so long as I know what everyone wanted. If everyone wants to spend time talking and getting to know each other and planning, etc. I'm all for that and if you want to get back to the sea quickly we can do that. I would say though, get the crew and purchasing documented quickly and spend how much ever time everyone wants RPing so when that is done we can move quickly. Repairs will take as long as we need and once we're ready to go "you spend 2 days in port wandering around while the rest of the work is complete" or whatever will finish up whatever time is left.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    922 gp -> added to sheet
    so I can track this ->
    ship armory- MW leather armor, shortsword, breastplate, musket
    I guess i can tos sit on my sheet with the notes section as Ship Armory if no one minds...
    Spoiler: Vessel Characteristics
    Show

A section is a 10 foot × 10 foot x 10 foot piece of a ship roughly 1,000 cubic feet
    Hull sections are used for recording combat damage to a ship, and serve no other purpose.
    Propulsion: Sails: A sailing ship’s speed varies with the wind conditions.
    As long as the vessel is steering downwind or across the wind (within 90º of downwind)
    maximum speed is equal to the speed given in the vessel’s statistics block multiplied by the speed multiplier for wind strength
    within 45º to 90º of the wind, is reduced to half speed. a ship can tack close to the wind and make good a course
    Maneuverability: Boats and ships don’t turn on a copper piece and lack anything like a brake
    Maximum Speed Change: maximum amount by which the vessel can change its speed
    Reverse: Only oared vessels can travel in reverse & its speed was zero in the preceding round
    Turn: How much the vessel can turn after covering the stated distance
    Turn in Place: Normally, oared vessels are the only vessels that can turn in place. The vessel must begin the round with a speed of zero to turn in place
    Maximum Turn: How much the vessel can turn in any one space
    Statistics:Size: The size of the vehicle, using the same size categories as creatures do
    Seaworthiness: The ship’s overall sturdiness. This modifier is applied to any Profession (sailor) checks the captain or master makes in order to avoid foundering, sinking, and hazards that large, well-built vessels avoid more easily than small and frail ones.
    Shiphandling: The ship’s agility and nimbleness
    Speed: The ship’s speed and its nautical maneuverability rating.
    Overall AC: The AC of the ship as a whole
    Hull Sections: The number of hull sections
    Sink: The number of destroyed hull sections necessary to sink the ship outright
    Section hp: The number of hit points and the hardness of each hull section.
    Section AC: The Armor Class of each hull section
    Rigging Sections: The number of rigging sections the ship possesses. Generally, each rigging section is equal to one mast
    Rigging hp: The number of hit points and the hardness of each rigging section.
    Ram: The damage dealt by the vehicle per 10 feet of speed it currently possesses if it rams another object. For example, a ship with a base ram damage of 3d6 deals 3d6 points of damage if moving at a speed of 10 feet, 6d6 at a speed of 20 feet, 9d6 at a speed of 30 feet, and so on
    Mounts: The number of weapons the ship can mount. A light mount is suitable for a ballista; a heavy mount is suitable for a catapult.
    Space: The length and width of the area taken up by the ship.
    Height: The height of the main deck above the waterline. Most large vessels will have deckhouses, forecastles, or sterncastles that are above this level.
    Watch: The number of crewmembers necessary to make course changes, adjust for wind changes, and generally handle the ship
    Complement: The number of crewmembers, passengers, and soldiers who can be carried by the vessel for extended voyaging
    Cargo: The capacity of the vehicle’s hold, in tons (1 ton = 2,000 pounds). Most ships are slowed to 3/4 normal speed if carrying half this load or more
    Cost: The vehicle’s cost in gold pieces

Alternative
    The narrative system assumes that the ship’s master is making appropriate maneuvers to open, close, or hold the range, so it is not necessary to deal with precise ship maneuvering.

what we have I think is somewhere between these two ships

* Base sailing speed in light winds (×1 speed multiple)
    Caravel (sailing ship) 30/7 3 mph* 10,000 gp
    Galley 300/10/160 1-1/2 mph*or 2 mph 30,000 gp

Caravel: Colossal vehicle; Seaworthiness +4; Shiphandling
    +2; Speed wind × 30 ft. (average); Overall AC –3;
    Hull sections 24 (sink 6 sections); Section hp 80 (hardness
    5); Section AC 3; Rigging Sections 3; Rigging hp 80 (hardness
    0), AC 1; Ram 4d6; Mounts 2 light and 1 heavy; Space
    60 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 10 ft. (draft 10 ft.); Complement 30;
    Watch 7; Cargo 120 tons (Speed wind × 15 ft. if 60 tons or
    more); Cost 10,000 gp.

Galley: Colossal vehicle; Seaworthiness +0; Shiphandling
    –2; Speed wind × 15 ft. or oars 20 ft. (poor);
    Overall AC –3; Hull sections 78 (sink 19 sections); Section
    hp 80 (hardness 5); Section AC 3; Rigging Sections 2; Rigging
    hp 60 (hardness 0), AC 1; Ram 6d6; Mounts 6 light, 3
    heavy, ram; Space 130 ft. by 20 ft.; Height 15 ft. (draft 15
    ft.); Complement 300; Watch 10 plus 160 rowers; Cargo 150
    tons (Speed wind × 10 ft. or oars 15 ft. if 75 tons or more);
    Cost 30,000 gp.

Ship Item Item attribute
    Colossal vehicle TBD
    Seaworthiness TBD
    Shiphandling TBD
    Speed wind TBD
    Overall AC TBD
    Hull sections TBD
    Section hp TBD
    Section ac TBD
    Rigging Sections TBD
    Rigging hp TBD
    AC TBD
    Ram TBD
    Mounts TBD
    Space TBD
    Height TBD
    Complement TBD
    Watch TBD
    Cargo TBD
    Speed wind TBD
    Cost TBD
    Ship Armory MW leather armor, shortsword, breastplate, musket
    Crew Equipment 6 morning stars, 6 light crossbows with bolts
    [/LIST]
    So I had originally sort of thought about the ship as loot, but it was pretty clear that the game just doesn't work without the ship and counting the ship towards WBL would mess up character progression.
    As for the ship and value, that is something I've been thinking about too and not quite sure how to handle. If the ships aren't valuable then getting them doesn't mean much, but also I'm not entirely sure how to keep you guys from having an armada and 100k worth of gold by level 6. For upgrading ships, there are quite a few upgrades/options that aren't going to be a lot bigger but will have other advantages. I wouldn't expect to get too much bigger right away as the captains/officers will be a lot higher level and the crews would greatly outnumber you. A slaver galley for instance would probably have 250-300 crew, captain in the level 10-12 range and a few other mid level lesser officers. There are of course several steps between a clipper and a galley.

Although I had mentioned it earlier and Samduke said she was going to track some of it, but I think something everyone can access and change would be best and don't know what her plans were for sharing what she's got now (as it is too easy to loose a post if we're trying to track it on the forums) The not quoted post has some of it, but doesn't all match with how the ships are spec'd in the book
    I tracked what we had on my sheet yes and then above made that handy table for the ship you can just fill in the TBD information and it should translate for our purposes nicely. the table and data are from stormwrack

as officers decide if their crew get stuff the table for crew equipment can be added to.
    Last edited by samduke; 2019-08-09 at 09:36 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Here is a very quick and dirty sheet. It's barebones because this is the first draft. Any of you can edit this if need be but we should be letting people know if we do. It's in google docs which I don't think you need an account to access. If anyone can't access it, let me know.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

27. - Top - End - #567

nothing to do with anyone in this game and everything to do with the people that "are in charge" hre on gitpg I am leaving this board and not sure if i will return

With samduke gone and Zurambas not posting (like me), I'd like to ask if everyone is feeling comfortable with the pace of the game because walls of text describing intricate backgrounds for ships is nice and all but not my cup of tea.

But I don't want to strangle this game by immediately ditching board. I just want you to know that I am entertaining the thought of leaving this game now that I know it is not my cup of tea.

So, how to proceed?
    Last edited by Spore; 2019-08-10 at 07:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It was my intention and hope to be done with the walls of mechanical text. I wanted to get through this latest bit of RP, montage our way through hiring crew and finishing up the repairs and refit, and set sail quite shortly. There are still a couple details to handle, but I think we can handle that in the background without holding up play any further

The main question is what to do with Sam's character. It would not make sense for her to just leave right now. I would suggest that she nominally sticks around for the moment without contributing much until the dm sees an opportunity to retire her.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ettin in the Playground

I figured we would leave Olivia with the ship. I have no idea what the problem was so I have no clue if she'll be back in a few days or gone for good.

As for the pacing, I've been trying to pick it up and tried to make it as easy as possible for things to get taken care of. Any provisions or equipment can be picked up simply by stating you want it and all of the other work like ship repairs and the like is happening in the background. The crew is easy to find, all I need is for players to tell me what they want and they will be found and hired on. I don't need much, just something as simple as "I want my crew to" protect me while I'm casting/charge the other ship with me/provide cover fire/something else "and also be good at" swinging from the riggings/sneaking/bring in extra food/whatever. It took all of 1 post from Olivia for her to pick up her crew and ballista and get it installed, I'm trying to make it fast and easy so we can set off again.

No one seems to have any preference in what you guys do or where you go, so I'll just give you guys a place to head to. Naming the ship, coming up with a flag for the ship, anything more specific with the crew, I thought would help give things character and a sense of group but isn't necessary and figured you could talk about or do anything like that while waiting for people to tell me what they wanted for crew and any preferences in where you are going or any purchases you want to make.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

SamDuke did like her crunch. It's a taste thing and I don't hold it against her, but yeah, lots of details. I agree with the GM's plan. Before we were united by the common goal of getting a ship but now that we've achieved that, we're kind of rudderless (see what I did there). Let's handwave provisions, keep Olivia as an NPC and just take the first job we come across. I think that we have hammered out a good rough plan for the crew and the ship so lets do the crew of thirty, buy them all crossbows and swords for them all, and get out of port. Let's set a real world timetable for this. Come what may, let's plan on being out on the ocean in game turns by next weekend. Does that sound good?