Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Not ready to post, but I'll cover the meal if that works for you guys
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Right, well my general advice to PBP DMs is the following: patience, pacing, momentum

Running a PBP game is a bit like running a marathon, it is not important that you go fast all the time. What is however important, is that you don't actually stop.

Most games that end on these boards far too soon make one common mistake. Someone goes quiet, the DM and the other players wait on them to come back. By the time they do or the others decide they're not coming back, someone else has gotten bored of the inactivity and left. Others have lost Focus and post slowly for a while, maybe another person gets frustrated by the slow pace and leaves. The cycle repeats until there's nothing left but a shell.

The answer, generally speaking, is to establish a regular pace, and be just a little ruthlessl about maintaining it. Unless circumstances suggest otherwise, such as an in-depth conversation between characters that is currently ongoing, commit to making a main post update on a regular basis. I suggest aiming for once every 24-48 hours. If someone hasn't chimed in yet, do your best to move on anyways. That strategy has served me well, the 5e game that I run has been ongoing for almost 2 real time years now.

Also, accept the almost inevitable fact that some of your players are going to leave. This board in particular has a really bad turnover rate in that regard. Don't get angry or frustrated, focus on engaging your remaining players and move on.

In regards to the crew combat, I suggest keeping it abstract. Come up with a system of determining outcomes that is easy on you. You've got enough on your plate managing the officers.

Finally, a faster communication method for out of topic stuff can be a great boon. I suggest a discord channel for this purpose unless someone has an objection. It's free and easy to set up.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-11-10 at 04:21 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, I have ideas for handling the main points. Especially the crew fighting, I think the idea will work well, but until it has happened a few times it is going to be hard to really judge. Just an open invitation for feedback and how it is working.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay post warning i will be unable to post this sunday / monday due to holiday

edit
    RE:
    SamDuke: You've got more than 3 ranks in each skill, I think you've just added the bonus 3 for being class skills, but the sheet does that automatically so you're over. Also you haven't taken any background skills, assuming you were going to. I know which discovery you were going to take but you didn't list it. Also you haven't listed your Formulas

ugh this is what i get for not playing a lot of pathfinder, i did not list the discoveries intentionally until the 2nd of them takes effect if that is okay.
    i did not do background skills I will see about it after monday due to my schedule, Formulas - heh yeah I dropped the ball there - again monday
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-11-10 at 05:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm so excited. And I need to finalize my gear. I really had not thought about that until the GM called it out.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ettin in the Playground

I would like to keep things moving. A couple of the players haven't been on in a few days but they'll have a chance to catch up.
    We've had buy in on the basics of the plan from everyone, so if you want to start looking into information or planning things can be provided

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How would you like to go about doing that? Diplomacy check from the face, perhaps with some aid anothers from the rest?

Hopefully the quiet ones are just quiet due to the weekend.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

8. - Top - End - #38

BarbarianGuy

(1d20)[14]

Rolling Knlocal to see if I know of any prospective vessels we can 'comandeer' at the docks today

If I don't, I'll make a post to call the waitress over when I get off work
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-11-11 at 02:21 PM.
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Bodaku will have an in character shopping session. One of his flaws is that he is from a small island without a typical fantasy economy so it will be a good rp opportunity.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Being that you guys are from diverse backgrounds and have a bit of experience in the world, and especially early on, I'll just assume a "take 10" sort of thing on a number of the knowledge related things. You're going to know the Capital and flag of the country you're from, but identifying one from a smaller more reclusive country will take a roll. Just give me an idea of what sort of information you're looking for and some ways in which you may have picked it up. "I came from X in the north and spent a few months on the sea, what sort of pirate activity did I notice" or "I've been in town a month and frequent the docks, what rumors have I heard about local pirate activity/merchant companies looking to hire/captains to avoid working for." That sort of thing. If you want to know more specifics like "how many ships of small/medium/large size have been lost to pirate activity to the west" that will either take actively talking to people or a harder knowledge check. Diplomacy will come in depending on how sensitive the information you're looking for is and if they've got any reason to share/not share it.

Don't want to hide the world from you guys, but also don't want to spend pages writing up exposition unless it is something you're explicitly interested in.

The other main thing is finding that balance between giving you information and saying "this is the only thing worth looking at because it is the only thing I mentioned." Giving you information you ask for avoids that.

Also will avoid taking over anyone, but a few knowledge/background related things I will if it makes more sense to be given in that way.

11. - Top - End - #41

BarbarianGuy

Messed up my post rolls, trying again here

PerString (1d20+11)[18]

Versatile PerDiplo (1d20+11)[16]

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am a bit confused, as there seems to be two channels going on here. One where we have not formally introduced ourselves despite being at a meal together and another where we have all told our stories already and are eager to join up to hunt pirates.

I am all for passing the awkward small talk phase, but I want to lock down what world we are in.

My post assumes everyone knows each others names and the people so far have shared their past troubles with pirates in minor detail.
    Last edited by TheStillWind; 2018-11-11 at 08:11 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

13. - Top - End - #43
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

yeah, somehow some people skipped the part about telling each other's motivations and all that. Which is fine by me in the interest of moving things along, but we do need to get on the same page on that score.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    I am a bit confused, as there seems to be two channels going on here. One where we have not formally introduced ourselves despite being at a meal together and another where we have all told our stories already and are eager to join up to hunt pirates.

I am all for passing the awkward small talk phase, but I want to lock down what world we are in.

My post assumes everyone knows each others names and the people so far have shared their past troubles with pirates in minor detail.
    Yeah, we started a little crossed. We can just assume that some small talk happened before you sat down to eat, the introductions that didn't happen IC happened then. We'll go with the idea of heading out to sea was common and already brought up and that hunting pirates is more interesting than fishing or hauling goods, but any more past detail will come up when it comes up.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

So I am thinking we head down to some marine insurance provider, ask for some info about un-insurable people who are headed down the coast where the newspaper says not to go, then find them. We lay low and don't show our strength to the crew and plan to get attacked. If we can take them easily then we take the new ship. If we can't take them easily, but can repel them, then we stowaway somewhere or steal a dingy and follow them back to their secret cove.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I've been looking over backgrounds again to see what general world background I can expand for each of you. I know some was kept open or secret on purpose, but if you want to tell me directly rather than have it on the character sheet just PM me. For instance there are rumors of cannibals in quite a few different areas, but someone from the southern area is going to know different things that someone from the north.

Also how long each of you have actually been in Azir? A day or two, a week, a month?

Optimumsquare, a ritualistic set of armor or scepter could be +1 hide shirt or a masterwork club if you wanted to go that route. Still free to just buy it too, but saying you could tie it into your background while keeping the area you come from as primitive. Leather made from some ocean creatures rather than something cow-like.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

i am short on time to work on the sheet today i will try to get that updated soon

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Morley's been in town for just a few days. He's been going from port to port looking for a pirate hunter crew to join, so falling in with this group worked out perfectly for him.
    Last edited by Lekkric; 2018-11-13 at 08:50 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'll just give him the +1 armor. I'm dealing with stolen credit card info right now (ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!), so I'll be a little slow to post over the next few days. To answer DM questions: Bodaku has been in town for a few days. I'm not familiar enough with the world atlas to know if their are southern islands with cannibals, but if you need a proper name for a place, let's say Bodaku is from a chain of islands name Iiawah (it's just Hawaii spelt backwards). Also, is anyone going to have a problem with him being a cannibal? I don't want to include it if its going to be a problem.
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2018-11-13 at 09:42 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

BarbarianGuy

I'm a living skeleton, I think we can handle a cannibal 😜

Speaking of River, he has been in port for a few months. He left the last crew he was part of before they found out he wasn't 'alive' as he has done on and off for the last 60 years

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

That sucks, best of luck getting it straightened out.

As for cannibals, not actually that uncommon. There are some in Lands of the Linnorm Kings (very north, islands, very loose norse theme), way south in Sargava, as well as mid-south in The Shackles (on the Cannibal Isles no less), and in the Sodden Lands. There are of course pirates working in all of those areas. All 3 of the southern areas fit pretty well with the pacific islandish theme. If you want to be new to the entire area entirely there is a lot of Arcadian Ocean out there, just less likely that we'll end up anywhere near.
    Not usual to have a good cannibal, even chaotic, but if you've got a plan for that then I'm ok with it. I can't speak for the rest of the group though.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Really, when you think about it, cannibalism is just a good use of resources.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

post frm phone - busy schedule

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay i think the sheet is updated for formuleas & skills corrected - i have not done background skills, I will try to get to that when not so busy

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Is anyone going to do anything at night, or should we advance to morning? Also, what is a good source to look at for geography of the area? I'm just curious for a little more background fluff.

26. - Top - End - #56

BarbarianGuy

I thought we were gonna head to the docks, to scout it out before trying to 'join' a crew

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still trying to keep options open, if you guys would like a more direct path I can do that. Not sure if everyone just got busy or if I'm missing something.

For the geography, I've got large map with the whole region in the OP, if that is what you're looking for. I'm trying to mostly stick with the base Golarion setting.* https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Golarion This is the best source I've found online. The Inner Sea World Guide has more, but not a huge amount more.
    If you're asking about Azir in particular, I don't have any official maps, but if you're interesting I can make a map and give us a better look at the town itself.

*I'll make a few minor changes, or in some cases just make up details that the guide doesn't talk about. For instance I'm moving Azir a bit farther into the bay, rather than as far up the river as the map implies.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post

For the geography, I've got large map with the whole region in the OP, if that is what you're looking for. I'm trying to mostly stick with the base Golarion setting.* https://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Golarion This is the best source I've found online. The Inner Sea World Guide has more, but not a huge amount more.
    This is pretty much what I'm looking for. Thanks. I'm not really familiar with the setting so it would be cool to just be familiar with the broad strokes.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    I thought we were gonna head to the docks, to scout it out before trying to 'join' a crew
    Just checking.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Got busy in my case, the webmaster for the Forum where I run a 5e and Pathfinder game went insane recently. Me and the only other GM who had up until now been willing to put up with his strange quirks have been busy trying to lead something of a quiet Exodus. So yeah, four games, around 25,000 posts worth of combined History, and 15 players, been trying to shift them all out to another setting.

And we are trying to do so quietly because we think the bastard might delete our threads before we can copy them out of spite if he finds out
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-11-16 at 03:39 AM.