Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Okay, I suggest a fairly simple turnabout.

Lets give them some benefit of the doubt and just keep the altered course, if they don't alter to match, fine, if they do, we act to take them.

Keep most of the armed crew out of sight, and pretend to surrender. They get ready to board, but then when they get close, we turn and fire a broadside, our cannons, along with as many ranged weapons as we can bring to bear at once. Valkin and I can keep them debuffed and off balance while others target the enemy officers.
    well a broad side is out of the question we have 2 cannon 1 on each side of the forecastle near the balista now we coul dbring them to bear on a frontal attack firing cannon and balista in unison but that would require a good head on approach which risks ramming the other ship and possibly sinking both if that were to occur - food for thought

as long as we dont risk running aground on the current course we can maintain it until they alter to follow or not but eventually we will need a south south east tack to get back on course

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

You should be able to use the ballista and one cannon without the risk of hitting them. And at least how I imagined it, only the ballista can fire directly forward. Of course if you had a different idea of layout, just let me know.

Also if anyone has an idea or specific image to use for your new character post it so I can get them ready. Which I should have done a while ago but forgot with the server down.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    You should be able to use the ballista and one cannon without the risk of hitting them. And at least how I imagined it, only the ballista can fire directly forward. Of course if you had a different idea of layout, just let me know.

Also if anyone has an idea or specific image to use for your new character post it so I can get them ready. Which I should have done a while ago but forgot with the server down.
    yeah thats about correct because both cannon are not on the bow they are at the back of the forcastle

meh i have no image and what ever works for you

4. - Top - End - #814
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I feel like we should at least try out these cannons, am I right?

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay lets talk ship tactics just for the moment, presuming they are on a similar tack as us roughly 45% and they are apparently faster, with the drift anchor attached at the bow, we could allow 1 or 2 sails to lose air without actually hauling them up, this would slow us down they would catch up faster. now if they suspect us as just a merchant ship they might expect us to turn down wind to run, and they might shift rudder just at the wrong moment if we indicate as such, but just as they turn we would need to come hard into the wind drop the drift anchor and that will help bring the bow around effectively it should put the current upwind cannon in almost perfect firing position as the ship comes around to take a shot towards 1 of 3 targets, we need to decide, Rudder, a Mast, or Bow rudder and bow are waterline shots mast requires the chainshot which there are a few of and it will probably take more than 1 to drop a mast unless we got lucky, the balista gets employed dropping anything in their crows nest or at the wheel. crew scorpions would need to shoot at their crew, and in the meanwhile the drift anchor brought in and the sails either brought back to full air or furled for boarding actions
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-14 at 05:45 AM.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

On the road, no time for a proper reply, but that sounds like a good start
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

7. - Top - End - #817
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I'm going to defer to you guys on the appropriate naval tactics.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, finally have time to address this properly

Most of this looks good, but I am going to disagree with a waterline shot in this case. One small cannonball is very unlikely to sink the ship any time soon, even if its perfectly placed. Chain shot to the mast has a similar problem, low odds of it having a beneficial effect on this fight. I am going to strongly suggest instead that we pack the cannons with grapeshot, use it to thin out the crew.

So far as I know, PF doesn't have rules for grapeshot, so I went looking for comparisons between the cannons and their lesser firearm cousins. If we compare the standard cannon shot to the culverin, the former deals 3* the damage of the latter. So it would make some sense to model a grapeshot cannon blast as a 3* damage blunderbuss.

Our grapeshot cannon blast would make an attack roll against each person in the AOE for 3d8 damage. The only question from there is how to model the AOE. The pattern for firearms in general suggests a 125' cone (suggested cone length is 1/2 the length of the range increment of its standard shot alternate), which in my opinion is a bit too much, that could easily cover the entire enemy ship. I would instead suggest a 125' long cylinder, 5' diameter near the cannon, extending to a 30' diameter near the far end.

Thoughts from the DM on this?
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

well if you want to go the grapeshot route i can edit my IC post

10. - Top - End - #820
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

DM, can we get a response here on the grapeshot? I'd like to move on and see if we can't get some momentum again.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-03-22 at 02:18 PM.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, I somehow missed a lot of replies. But I've been preoccupied and away from home for the last week.
    I'll be back home Wednesday.

Grapeshot: This ammunition is a canister containing hundreds of small iron pellets, designed to kill and injure crew rather than damage a ship. Grapeshot deals damage to any creature in one Location (Reflex DC 10 + damage dice rolled halves damage), but does no damage to the Location itself.
    Example: A 12-pounder that fires grapeshot deals 6d4 points of damage to all creatures in one Location and would require a DC 16 Reflex saving throw.
    When firing grapeshot, the targeted Location must be at least partially exposed (open-air, portholes, etc.). The shot must beat the AC of the Location in order to affect the creatures in that Location. Failure to beat the AC indicates the shot didn’t penetrate a ship’s defenses.
    Grapeshot can only be fired up to a distance of five range increments, rather than the usual ten, due to the nature of the shot.
    This ship would have 3 locations, so effectively you can hit 1\3 of the deck.

The majority of the crew is in the center deck, but the officers are split between fore, aft, and center, with some crew in each.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Right then, I would suggest a grapeshot attack at the center deck to soften those guys up. We can target the officers with more conventional means.

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Right then, I would suggest a grapeshot attack at the center deck to soften those guys up. We can target the officers with more conventional means.
    i have that already in the post i made a few days ago

Example: A 12-pounder that fires grapeshot deals 6d4 points of damage to all creatures in one Location and would require a DC 16 Reflex saving throw.

we have a 3lb gun so thats what 3d4?
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-23 at 03:21 AM.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

agreed. go for numbers with the bombardment and then alpha strike officers when we board

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay so a damage roll for 2 rounds worth of firing an additional to hit roll as well, as we should be able to get 2 rounds woth of firing from it and 2 rounds of firing from the balista so another for it as well

Cannon crew should be able to load the round it is fired,
    2nd cannon ranged attack (1d20+9)[23] *+ or - all other factors -> i fat fingered the key should be +8 so (1d20+8)[22] should be the result
    1st shot damage (3d4)[9] DC 16 Reflex saving throw.
    2nd shot damage (3d4)[5] DC 16 Reflex saving throw.

Ballista crew (expert) ranged attack called shot targeting person at helm
    1st round to hit wheel enemy (1d20)[5] 19–20 range 120 ft. damage (3d8)[14] *maybe well get lucky and it hit someone over there
    Ballista crew should be able to load the round it is fired
    2nd round to hit wheel enemy (1d20)[9] 19–20 range 120 ft. damage (3d8)[17] *maybe well get lucky and it hit someone over there
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-03-24 at 06:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry I've been so slow in getting posts up. Haven't had a lot of time, and since I've adjusted my schedule I just haven't been able to get much done after work and trying to do stuff before work just doesn't happen.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

notation on map....
    Spoiler: map
    Show

while its great to have a map I am not sure the ship orientations are correct
    Based on maneuvers described the ships should be headed in opposing directions though at a distance

(IE: if the original path was -> that direction we pull a slight left hook and then a hard right so that the following ship is going -> diretion and we should be going <- direction ) if that makes any sort of sense ...

edit
    that ballista crew needs more training on called shots me thinks ( expert crew is only a +4 correct? )
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-04-03 at 09:07 AM.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ettin in the Playground

Not that it really matters, but this is what I had envisioned for the ship movements, your ship being black and the other being the green/tan color, and not entirely to scale

Both the cannon and the ballista take an entire turn to aim and fire for the crew, then another full turn to reload, and really the ballista says it's a 2 round reload, but I think 1 round to match the cannons would work (but 2 crew for the ballista for a 1 round reload, default is 1 crew).
    While you have to be with the crew/machine to use your stats to aim/fire, you can leave them to reload while you do something else.
    Neither weapon is ready to be fired this turn. You can use this turn to do something else.

Yeah, assuming the crew firing the cannons and ballista are the specialized siege crews then +4 is right

19. - Top - End - #829
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

if i recall correctly we had like a hired ballista crew of 5 1 of which was like the siege weapon master for the ballista, and they were all suposedly expert for that weapon, then jessica is manning the cannon using her stats for it, and in theory should have 2 ship crew to help with loading but firing every other round works, so keep the numbers rolled for the next round they can fire and they would spend the round loading they would not be able to do anything else
    Last edited by samduke; 2020-04-05 at 08:32 AM.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ettin in the Playground

sorry I'm so slow in getting posts up now.

I seem to have forgot to mention that the lookout L2 is in the crow's nest

A few rolls to see what happens before I update the map

p
    (1d20)[2]
    C save vs GD
    (1d20+1)[8]DC16
    (1d20+1)[16]DC17
    O1
    (1d20+3)[21]
    O2
    (1d20+3)[15]

cg
    (1d20+1)[8]
    (1d20+1)[19]
    O1
    (1d20+5)[24]
    O2
    (1d20+5)[8]

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

curent ship to ship with a few enemy ropes attached

the effect of the maneuver olivia is attempting it should bring our ship into full wind and increase speed
    any ropes not cut & still attached should suffer break checks or opposing crew str to hold on
    might be able to get that 2nd shot off the cannon before getting out of any sort of area of effect, the ballista should still have good line of effect for this and another shot.

the increased distance hopefully will put us out of range of their muskets

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

If you turn right there is almost no way you're not going to collide with the other ship. I would also just like to make sure it is OK with the other players that the ships don't engage, I want to make sure everyone can take part in the fight.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

the intent was not to collide, just the way i worded it, sorry.

and as far as combat goes in ship to ship combat this is an end around maneuver that if done with a decent check result should put us around on the AFT end in 1-2 rounds then the cannon should be reloaded for an aft shot, and a chance to disable their rudder.

i know this is a lousy diagram but, in theory we are -> they are ^, and with the right turn we then goto -> and they would then be <- related to us, then a continuation of the turn would put us <- to their ^ and the chance to disable their rudder comes in there.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're trying to go in-front of the other ship, they're still moving forward and there is no way you could get past them before they ran into you. And at least with the ships I'm essentially having them move at the same time, rather than in you-go-they-go rounds like normal combat.

A 180 turn (from the book) is a DC30 maneuver, if you wanted to try turning away from them rather than towards, and even that would only be possible if you manage to get the lines cut.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How about a simpler maneuver, a quick left followed by a quick right? Assuming we can cut the ropes that is. Buy us just enough space for one last round of grapeshot. They'll probably catch us more solidly after that, but we can't avoid boarding forever.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

If you're trying to go in-front of the other ship, they're still moving forward and there is no way you could get past them before they ran into you. And at least with the ships I'm essentially having them move at the same time, rather than in you-go-they-go rounds like normal combat.

A 180 turn (from the book) is a DC30 maneuver, if you wanted to try turning away from them rather than towards, and even that would only be possible if you manage to get the lines cut.
    hrm okay i guess i will edit the action then because i can not hit a prof sailor 30 maxing at 28...

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ettin in the Playground

cut rope crew
    (1d20+2)[21]
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d20+2)[5]
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d20+2)[4]
    (1d6)[2]

enemy captain sailor/pilot
    (1d20+8)[12]

L1 save vs dc13 grapeshot
    (1d20+4)[24]
    L2 save vs dc13 grapeshot
    (1d20+4)[17]
    crew save vs dc13 grapeshot (should be +1, rather than +8)
    (1d20+8)[21]

L1 save vs dc17 glitter
    (1d20+4)[10]
    L2 save vs dc17 glitter
    (1d20+4)[17]
    Last edited by Erloas; 2020-04-17 at 02:17 AM.

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah, is exactly 50% a fail or a succed? (1d2)[2] 1 miss, 2 hit

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Bah, is exactly 50% a fail or a succed? [roll0] 1 miss, 2 hit
    depends on the subject in the end if its vs AC a tie is a hit, if it is a save a tie is a fail to save IIRC
    if it is something else well it is a gm call

30. - Top - End - #840
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

will post tomorrow ic