Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

I thought I had posted it a couple days ago but apparently not, so I just did a "hey let's go to the tavern" post to get us moving, if everyone's up for that.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I think we already were at a tavern

But yes, by all means, a quick bar crawl to find likely looking opportunities seems to be a good option.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

I saw it as a normal restaurant, more akin to a contemporary sit down place now than a tavern. More likely to find locals, maybe management types, rather than sailors.

Unless you've got a reason to want to go through visiting various taverns, just give me an idea of what you're looking for and we'll montage through a few things until we find something worth investigating further.

Looking for a local that knows the captains that come through a lot? Looking for a quite bar where they're more interested in drinking, a rough bar where the tough sailors hang out, a really rough bar? Looking for captains, officers, general crew? Local business men? Heading to a specific port or area? Fishers, merchants, navy? Looking for crew, or have room for passengers? Going to tell people you're interested in hunting pirates or not? Going to ply people with beer or coin for information or leads? Ask about specific companies or known pirate or smuggling activities?

Just some ideas, plenty others. But if you give me a couple types of things you're looking for and how we'll see what can be found.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I think we're looking for two things: a crew and rumors of pirate locations/ships. Also a ship, but we're hoping that the pirates will lead to a ship. Is that an accurate statement everyone?

I mean, I suppose we could go on a bar crawl for the sake of a bar crawl, but I'm not sure how productive that would be.
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2018-11-17 at 02:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sounds about right, I do suggest a bar crawl, but one with a purpose.

Roll through, hit up the bartenders who appear to be old hands for rumors and information, and at the same time keep an eye out for patrons that appear to meet some of our criteria. Heck, we might even stumble across a pirate crew trying to keep low.

I would suggest in general, not telling others that we intend to be pirate Hunters, unless that revelation would help the current conversation
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

posting in no access again until monday

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

So talk to me guys, what is going on?

Do I need to build up the city more? Lacking leadership? Waiting for other players? Make the job seem to big? Start out too slow? Need to give more direction?

(I know one player has been gone for a week, but I had picked 6 so we would still have a full team even if we lost some)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

I was waiting on people. It's been a while since we heard from optimum and StillWind, I didn't want to just dismiss their characters
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well I was waiting on players to add their input. And the DM to respond to the barcrawl idea with whatever might arise.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    I was waiting on people. It's been a while since we heard from optimum and StillWind, I didn't want to just dismiss their characters
    I understand, just don't want to the game to die waiting on one person.

So as a general guide, if we're doing something big, like choosing a direction, combat, etc., then we give everyone a day. If we're looking for information, buying goods, direction sailors, and more mundane activities go ahead and proceed.

Also I'll work with anyone if they let me know they can't post for a day or two so we can work something out. So far Samduke/Olivia is the only that that said she wouldn't be available certain days.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    And the DM to respond to the barcrawl idea with whatever might arise.
    Ah, that was my missed communication. I was expecting a post in the IC thread about actually heading out, saying the plan to the party. (not sure what the exact conventions are for pbp and IC vs OOC planning versus actual actions)
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-11-18 at 04:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Ah, that was my missed communication. I was expecting a post in the IC thread about actually heading out, saying the plan to the party. (not sure what the exact conventions are for pbp and IC vs OOC planning versus actual actions)
    Lets call that one a mixed bag, posts in the IC thread about heading out WERE made. Then you asked for clarification on exactly what we were going to do, we gave the clarification out of character, but not in character.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-11-18 at 04:23 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So talk to me guys, what is going on?

Do I need to build up the city more? Lacking leadership? Waiting for other players? Make the job seem to big? Start out too slow? Need to give more direction?

(I know one player has been gone for a week, but I had picked 6 so we would still have a full team even if we lost some)
    I was also under the impression that the DM was going to give us a little more information about possible places to go.

I understand, just don't want to the game to die waiting on one person.

So as a general guide, if we're doing something big, like choosing a direction, combat, etc., then we give everyone a day. If we're looking for information, buying goods, direction sailors, and more mundane activities go ahead and proceed.

No worries. Good job keeping the posts moving and being proactive. I mean that. It's easy to let things go on too long with silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Lets call that one a mixed bag, posts in the IC thread about heading out WERE made. Then you asked for clarification on exactly what we were going to do, we gave the clarification out of character, but not in character.
    This was my understanding. I'll post something in character that specifically says we ARE leaving the bar.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Still trying to get the feel for the pacing, would probably have split that up more outside of pbp but it seemed about right here given the situation.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

The southern fishing trip sounds promising. We could hire ourselves out as guards on that ship and then steal a pirate ship.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    The southern fishing trip sounds promising. We could hire ourselves out as guards on that ship and then steal a pirate ship.
    Except that he just said the pirates typically leave the fishermen alone due to them not having much. We could easily be stuck waiting for a chance at a pirate ship for years of ingame time without an opportunity.

Wait a minute, if he's just a fisherman, what does he need a significant guard presence for then? Hmm, might be worth poking at a little more. Stealing the ship of an illegal smuggler would be almost as good as from a pirate.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

apologies for limited posting I have had horribly luck on internet but hope that its fixed for now

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

If you're unsure what direction you want to go you can talk to them to get an idea of whats going on with them to help you decide. This is a reasonable time to "split the party" to the extent that a couple of you could talk to different groups, you're just not going to want to negotiate a deal with any group on your own.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

I apologize for being quiet. I am still around. I attempted with my last post to try and tie everything up and give us a direction but nobody seemed to like my idea so I kind of backed up to let others take the lead.

Then I had a work trip that was required of me on short notice. I was just reading along since then. I think that the fishing job, since it is specifically a paid position and it is headed south toward know pirate territory would be my bet.
    Last edited by TheStillWind; 2018-11-20 at 11:09 AM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

@ChaoticHarmony
    I hope that "river" does not mind being thrust into the diplomat role, I took a quick scan through sheets and thought "river" had the best chance at getting us in with the fishing boat captain, definitly had a better shot than "oliva" had

20. - Top - End - #80

BarbarianGuy

No worries, I purposely readjusted his sheet when we started when Eloas mentioned that no one had any decent diplomacy. Versatile Performance for the win!
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    I apologize for being quiet. I am still around. ...
    Then I had a work trip that was required of me on short notice. I was just reading along since then.
    Glade you didn't disappear. If you know something is going to come up you and send me a message if there is any specific thing you expect to want
    Daegan to do/add when you can't post I'll cover you as best I can.

I'm still getting the feeling for conversations on pbp, find that balance between having it make sense, avoiding putting actions/words on characters*, and not having a simple conversation take a long time. Going to edit the last post slight, and hope no one is actively responding to it right now, to get a bit more done.

*did a little with a few GP, with the assumption that a bit of social lubricant would be almost a given and that I don't expect a few GP to really be noticed, don't want to do it with anything important/big.

22. - Top - End - #82

BarbarianGuy

Ok! So....glad to see we're already gonna work with the guy....

Anyway! The offer I had in mind was basically we work for a free trip to southern waters and we keep any loot from whatever pirates we fight, but now I see people want a bunch a food, so........I'll think of something, I'm working on minimal sleep right now

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    Ok! So....glad to see we're already gonna work with the guy....

Anyway! The offer I had in mind was basically we work for a free trip to southern waters and we keep any loot from whatever pirates we fight, but now I see people want a bunch a food, so........I'll think of something, I'm working on minimal sleep right now
    30% huh, might have asked higher but that roll
    well maybe not so much the need food aspect, but if we can take the fish pirate's boat having a store of dried fish to go on it could be useful - we should be okay if we get 25% of a full haul
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-11-21 at 12:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    30% huh, might have asked higher but that roll
    well maybe not so much the need food aspect, but if we can take the fish pirate's boat having a store of dried fish to go on it could be useful - we should be okay if we get 25% of a full haul
    I thought 30% for just the 6 of us was pretty high considering he has a crew and other expenses to pay.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Damn 30% of the gross. If we take that we are the pirates.

Maybe as a base, standard crew rate for each of us. Then 30% of haul net of labor, supply, and repair expenses, and we keep any non fish related spoils of our defense.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

26. - Top - End - #86

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    Damn 30% of the gross. If we take that we are the pirates.

Maybe as a base, standard crew rate for each of us. Then 30% of haul net of labor, supply, and repair expenses, and we keep any non fish related spoils of our defense.
    Essentially my aim. I started at 30% to give plenty of room to haggle

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

They're basically just wanting something more than "we're level 3." Make up a story, relate a bit of background, whatever seems right. If it's true just go with it, if you're going to bluff to seem more powerful, go for it. Joined a captain and chased down a mythical beast is a good option. Fighting off some bandits? Maybe cast a spell. Peg a dart board with a dagger from half way across the room?

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Heh, I am so used to having prestidigitation as a spellcaster I started writing a post involving showing off with various tricks used to enhance a story before remembering that Presti is not a witch spell.

29. - Top - End - #89

BarbarianGuy

I have Presti and Ghost Sound.....shall I regale them with a tale?

EDIT: WAIT! I just remembered......Dead men tell no tales
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-11-21 at 09:11 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Given that most people are either going to be very busy or have a lot of free time over the next couple days... I'll see what happens before I do anything else.

Also I'm just going to fully admit that I was like.... of course they want to know how much money a fishing trip is going to bring in. There is actually a cost for a barrel of salmon, from there I could estimate a weight, and figure out how much the ship could haul. The unknown was ok, how do I figure out how long it takes them to catch that many fish/crab/lobster? The profession checks worked out fairly well as a guideline and I came up with a rough system that works without making the captain super rich or destitute. So if you guys hang up your swords for fishing nets I can do that :P