Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

For the record, Bodaku was perfectly happy to be paid in food.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

So am I actually, with the understanding that we eventually get paid with a captured pirate ship
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    There is actually a cost for a barrel of salmon, from there I could estimate a weight, and figure out how much the ship could haul. The unknown was ok, how do I figure out how long it takes them to catch that many fish/crab/lobster? The profession checks worked out fairly well as a guideline and I came up with a rough system that works without making the captain super rich or destitute. So if you guys hang up your swords for fishing nets I can do that :P
    lets see if i can help some
    Fishing barrel holds about 262 pounds of fish - the barrel about equal to a 30 gallon barrel size wise - so if you put a barrel at roughly 2.5ft round and 4ft tall - a decent size fishing boat say 50-80ft would probably have 75% of its available space for barrels or roughly 60 to 90 odd barrels should fit

not sure where you find a barrel of fish? but. Barrel 2 gp 30 lbs

as for time - a full load could take upwards of 3 days in reasonable weather- Fishing Net, bell 2 gp 2 lbs or Net, fishing 4 gp 5 lbs Fishing Tackle 20 gp 5 lb - not sure how many might afford either items - but if required by the fishing boat captain Olivia can afford 1 of each
    dont think she would go without weapons though
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-11-22 at 07:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    So am I actually, with the understanding that we eventually get paid with a captured pirate ship
    At this point they are operating under the assumption that you are simply helping guard their ship. So they're looking at a fair wage to pay someone given the risk involved.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    lets see if i can help some
    Fishing barrel holds about 262 pounds of fish - the barrel about equal to a 30 gallon barrel size wise - so if you put a barrel at roughly 2.5ft round and 4ft tall - a decent size fishing boat say 50-80ft would probably have 75% of its available space for barrels or roughly 60 to 90 odd barrels should fit

not sure where you find a barrel of fish? but. Barrel 2 gp 30 lbs

as for time - a full load could take upwards of 3 days in reasonable weather- Fishing Net, bell 2 gp 2 lbs or Net, fishing 4 gp 5 lbs Fishing Tackle 20 gp 5 lb - not sure how many might afford either items - but if required by the fishing boat captain Olivia can afford 1 of each
    dont think she would go without weapons though
    That is essentially the numbers I came up with in terms of size, weight, and what their ship can reasonable carry.
    The barrel of salmon was for 5E trade goods, which tracks close enough to call it good.

Really haven't found any historical reference for how much could be caught in a day or week. Modern boats, especially with power wenches, I think would make a huge difference in catch rates. Not to mention temperature control and/or circulation to keep the catch good without a lot of manual labor.
    Day trips aren't unheard of, some modern large ships can be out for 6 months at a time, I think the Deadliest Catch crews are usually out about a week at a time? (watched it some years ago so don't remember if they said directly, but hard to tell with all the editing). So I'm going with the captain's fishing roll times the size of the crew to give a catch value per day. I'm also going with a fair amount of the processing and simple preservation is done onboard, so it is a final value of the fish, rather than the gross weight hauled onto the decks.

They'll know how long they expect the trip to last if you want to ask.

They have all the gear, and regular crew, needed for the fishing side of things.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

hopefully Olivia's "experience" as mate will translate into the plan she presented

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

I would like to get at least the majority of players to accept the premise and terms of the trip before going forward.

The exact nature of how you want to go about capturing the pirate ship can be discussed now or later. You'll have a couple days in-game to nail down any specifics of that plan.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

So, he said he didn't mind taking us on if we had a reasonable plan. Does attack the pirates when they board us count as reasonable?

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

At this point they're giving you the benefit of the doubt on whatever plan you come up with is "reasonable." They're not expecting to be presented with a plan right now for their approval, though if you want to present one as part of negotiations that is perfectly fine.

They may or may not make any suggestions or comments on any plan presented, now or once you've set out. Any suggestions made will be based on their goal of protecting their own ship and crew.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It all looks good to me.

The pay isn't much, but the fishermen can't afford much more in any case so that's not worth arguing. The ship is the real prize if and when we get it.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

With the holiday I'll wait another day before responding to see if anyone else has any objections, wants to negotiate more, get clarification, ask more questions, or anything similar.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Other than stormwrack and adventures on the inner sea, is there a good source for druid spells/abilities that is canonically appropriate? I'm specifically looking for more water based damage spells, because the only way bodaku has to really effectively damage someone is to burn their ship down. I don't think that's how we want to start. Maybe later, but not now.
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2018-11-24 at 07:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

There were a few spells, such as skeleton crew, different ways to use animate rope, and things like that, but not a huge amount that I found. The few I have found I aren't in the SRDs.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasteri...-naval-combat/

This gives a general idea of how spells might effect a ship. Noting that some fire spells the "fire" part of them is so fast that it is unlikely to catch a ship on fire, though sails will go up easier than the hull.

If you find any good 3rd party spells let me know and we'll likely add them. If you have some specific idea like "this spell but X instead of fire" I'll look at them too.

In general I would also look more towards targeted rather than aoe spells because friendly crew is often going to be around.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-11-24 at 07:44 PM.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ettin in the Playground

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spells.../druid-spells/

Most of those should be ok. Ones that seem like fitting options, some damage, some not, are:
    Drench, Layer of Ice, create ice
    aquatic entangle, ice arm, khazri, precipitate, pressure spray
    chilling mist, lesser control winds, frostfield, trade wind, water jet

The books I have all seem to be in the SRD except one, Rot Timber (it is level 3, so be a little while), the others are either wizard or dealing with cannons.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

so i am all for the inter party potential romance thing, RE:" panties, small cloths IC comment ",
    the way I think i might play this off from Olivia's aspect
    Olivia: human female

Bodaku: half elf male, seems like a decent fellow but no real romantic interest

Aeaidne "cassandra": half elf female, hey she is cute, potential romantic interest

River: obitu male, seems like a decent fellow no real romantic interest

Daegan: elf gender ? is not listed on sheet
    male seems like a decent fellow no real romantic interest
    female, hey she is cute, potential romantic interest

Morley: half orc male, seems like a decent fellow no real romantic interest
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-11-26 at 07:40 AM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

so i am all for the inter party potential romance thing, RE:" panties, small cloths IC comment ",
    the way I think i might play this off from Olivia's aspect
    Olivia: human female

Bodaku: half elf male, seems like a decent fellow but no real romantic interest

Aeaidne "cassandra": half elf female, hey she is cute, potential romantic interest

River: obitu male, seems like a decent fellow no real romantic interest

Daegan: elf gender ? is not listed on sheet
    male seems like a decent fellow no real romantic interest
    female, hey she is cute, potential romantic interest

Morley: half orc male, seems like a decent fellow no real romantic interest
    Just for the record, the panties thing is a running gag of the character River is based on. I thought I would try it out ☺

Also...does anyone actually know that I'm an Obitu? River likely wouldn't share that information, similar to how 'Cassandra' won't share her real name right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

There were a few spells, such as skeleton crew, different ways to use animate rope, and things like that, but not a huge amount that I found. The few I have found I aren't in the SRDs.

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasteri...-naval-combat/

This gives a general idea of how spells might effect a ship. Noting that some fire spells the "fire" part of them is so fast that it is unlikely to catch a ship on fire, though sails will go up easier than the hull.

If you find any good 3rd party spells let me know and we'll likely add them. If you have some specific idea like "this spell but X instead of fire" I'll look at them too.

In general I would also look more towards targeted rather than aoe spells because friendly crew is often going to be around.
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spells.../druid-spells/

Most of those should be ok. Ones that seem like fitting options, some damage, some not, are:
    Drench, Layer of Ice, create ice
    aquatic entangle, ice arm, khazri, precipitate, pressure spray
    chilling mist, lesser control winds, frostfield, trade wind, water jet

The books I have all seem to be in the SRD except one, Rot Timber (it is level 3, so be a little while), the others are either wizard or dealing with cannons.
    Thanks GM!

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    Also...does anyone actually know that I'm an Obitu? River likely wouldn't share that information, similar to how 'Cassandra' won't share her real name right now.
    I think it likely for my girl to figure it out soon enough, life, death, and the kinds of forces behind the obitu are rather her forte after all.

But at least until you as a player give some manner of hint, or something else happens to let things slip, I'm going to assume she remains ignorant.

I think I shall RP her as being increasingly suspicious as time goes on though.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Lets see how this goes. Depending how it goes I might see about trying to run a map of some sort, we'll see.

I don't think anyone has a reason to know what River is yet, but hiding something with the mask seems like people will at least have questions as to why the mask.

Also in going through character sheets again in prep for the battle I'm not sure everyone is using the same method for HP generation. I think Olivia should be 20, I think River should be 17, and I think Bodaku should be 20, but it is possible I've missed an ability, trait, FCB, or the like.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

on the HP aspect if I recall correctly it was said max hp 1st then avg all others - so d8 is avg 4.5 or 5 some might say its 4, 8+avg+con 3 I think it might need to be 20-21 depending, either way seems I added incorrect

as far as river goes Olivia is ignorant on race, other than he is male, and humanoid - and wont care much if/when she does find out

edit
    leader + thugs - hope that they decide to leave well along once they realize there is more than just 1- not sure if I should have made an intimidate roll along with that free action comment but it should work

as for mapping in this case it might not be needed but in more complex areas situations it might be best to have something you like to use for a mapper that folks can see
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-11-26 at 08:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ettin in the Playground

on the HP aspect if I recall correctly it was said max hp 1st then avg all others - so d8 is avg 4.5 or 5 some might say its 4, 8+avg+con 3 I think it might need to be 20-21 depending, either way seems I added incorrect
    Yeah, I've seen average go 5/4/5/4 (d8) and I've also seen just going 5 (d8) every level, and I didn't specify, so figured I need to get that straightened out now. We'll do Max/5/4/5/4, or 4/3 for D6 and 6/5 for D10. I think that is what most people did, though Bodaku never did set his HP which is why I was looking into it more carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke
    as for mapping in this case it might not be needed but in more complex areas situations it might be best to have something you like to use for a mapper that folks can see
    Yeah, I've seen games use both on the forums, wanted to see how it felt without first, mostly because I haven't found a good way of hosting and modifying them yet, so seeing if I need to look into it more.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Yeah, I've seen average go 5/4/5/4 (d8) and I've also seen just going 5 (d8) every level, and I didn't specify, so figured I need to get that straightened out now. We'll do Max/5/4/5/4, or 4/3 for D6 and 6/5 for D10. I think that is what most people did, though Bodaku never did set his HP which is why I was looking into it more carefully.

Yeah, I've seen games use both on the forums, wanted to see how it felt without first, mostly because I haven't found a good way of hosting and modifying them yet, so seeing if I need to look into it more.
    I originally rolled it, but your right, there is no hp there. I think I forgot to hit save at one point. Other things are missing too, like gold. How much gold did we start with? I'll subtract the cost of my gear from that.

Also, I forgot that I gave this character a pet parrot which his animal companion. Expect ridiculoussness to follow

As for the combat, I'm a theater of the mind guy myself. I feel like as long as you have a rough idea of how far away enemies are, maps aren't necessary. It does help to be more descriptive of the overall scene, but since this is pbp, we have the time to do that.
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2018-11-26 at 10:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    I originally rolled it, but your right, there is no hp there. I think I forgot to hit save at one point. Other things are missing too, like gold. How much gold did we start with? I'll subtract the cost of my gear from that.

Also, I forgot that I gave this character a pet parrot which his animal companion. Expect ridiculoussness to follow
    It was 2500gp with no more than half on any single item, and the 517g you've picked up at the start but haven't had a chance to spend yet, but will tomorrow (IC tomorrow that is).

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare
    As for the combat, I'm a theater of the mind guy myself. I feel like as long as you have a rough idea of how far away enemies are, maps aren't necessary. It does help to be more descriptive of the overall scene, but since this is pbp, we have the time to do that.
    As for the setup and description, I was trying to convey that the whole thing happened rather quickly and short of noticing a few details you didn't get a chance to take more in. While it isn't really dark, other than general humanoid in a cloak you couldn't make out much else. Although I suppose just putting that in there would have done it.

edit:edit: In case that I muddied that, thank you for the feedback. I see how being more descriptive about what you can't tell would help set the tone better.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-11-27 at 12:36 AM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay hp adjusted to 20

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

well looks like I need to get some practice with the dice roller... so I'll have to post it here

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[16] vs DC14
    (1d20+7)[26]
    (1d6+1)[6]

25. - Top - End - #115
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Dammit! I wasted a good pun
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

Have any of you ever used this tool before? It seems pretty light weight.

https://www.mipui.net/app/index.html...et=sifyzg1qr32

I made this map in a few minutes.
    Morley is the pipe
    Bodaku is the parrot
    River is the Skull with the blade
    Olivia is the pistol and saber
    Cassandra is the snake
    Daegan is the ice arrow

Edit: Not to say that I need a map for this situation. I was just looking to see if a fast option existed.
    Last edited by TheStillWind; 2018-11-27 at 06:15 PM.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry about the confusion. I interpreted the 5ft away as my center of mass (center of square) to hers, which would be adjacent. In the future, I will interpret 5ft as distance to move before adjacent.

If I knew, I probably would have tried to get more distance from the group and draw my bow as part of the move action. No harm done though.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ettin in the Playground

I haven't, but it seems like it does a decent job. I'll check it out more and see. It actually seems to render better on the phone than it does on my PC, wanted to make sure mobile wouldn't be an issue.

I guess I also need to make sure I've got the common use of distances described correctly. I was thinking 5ft away was a space between, rather than adjacent (which takes a standard 5ft reach to hit). There was no convention in the PBP sticky. I guess anyone that worried about actual distances probably uses a map.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    Have any of you ever used this tool before? It seems pretty light weight.

https://www.mipui.net/app/index.html...et=sifyzg1qr32
    I think this could be a good tool but perhaps you can help me trouble shoot. When I move my mouse over an area, it reveals walls, and stuff, but then it quickly disapears. Is this a browser issue? Also, is there a way to move pieces around without cutting and pasting?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

~~~Teleport in~~~

When I move my mouse over an area, it reveals walls, and stuff, but then it quickly disapears. Is this a browser issue?
    Yes. I'm guessing Edge? Mipui only supports Chrome, Firefox and Safari for now.

Also, is there a way to move pieces around without cutting and pasting?
    Drag their top-left corner around. Doesn't really work on mobile, though.

~~~Teleport out~~~