Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

I'm a bit busy with healing right now, if others could specify that they are divesting every one of their weapons, that would be great
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

I was under the impression that we did that before you healed while we inventoried what they were immediatly carrying.

Next time we finish combat we should consider roping them up while they are helpless before healing.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

It sounded like the leader would have died if there had been a delay when it came to Healing. I was expecting all the other people standing around to help secure them while I was doing that. Perhaps I should have been more clear
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-12-01 at 01:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

I understood it as that you had taken their weapons but nothing else and Daegan was keeping them wary at bow-point.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yea no problem. It made sense.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Oh I really hope that didn't make things worse for us Samduke 😂

Edit: if it helps, good job being bad cop

Edit edit: Ok, I'm thinking about trying to get her to become an informant for us while we set sail with the fishing boat. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Last edited by ChaoticHarmony; 2018-12-01 at 03:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

it was a gamble

as for become an informant not entirely certain that we could trust them, & them working with us has risks as well

8. - Top - End - #158
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    it was a gamble

as for become an informant not entirely certain that we could trust them, & them working with us has risks as well
    Noted, but here is my thought process. We could kill them, but we might as well become pirates at that point(from what I can tell, we should at least be a little better than scoundrels).

We could turn them in, but it isn't likely to help us much, they seem low on the totem pole so no points toward the law and it alerts other groups that there are new bounty hunters around.

We can't take them with us because it is unlikely that the Captain will be willing to pay for 3 more bodies(and we can't trust their actions)

If we give them gold(I'll pay) and ask them to keep an ear open while they're working, worse case scenario, I'm down a few gold, best case, we have a new ally. Probably we'll have someone who will at least be willing to work with us later if pay is good and the personal risk isn't too great

We should not trust them at all, but we don't need to trust them to utilize them
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Giving them a coin or two to whet their appetite may help, but I would be inclined to pay for results rather than promises. they get money later if and only if they come up with something good.

In any case if we are doing anything other than turning them in, we need to get moving quickly before the guards arrive. It might be a little difficult to explain that we discharged our pistols and Spilled blood as a way of having fun with our good friends here
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    Giving them a coin or two to whet their appetite may help, but I would be inclined to pay for results rather than promises. they get money later if and only if they come up with something good.

In any case if we are doing anything other than turning them in, we need to get moving quickly before the guards arrive. It might be a little difficult to explain that we discharged our pistols and Spilled blood as a way of having fun with our good friends here
    Just jumping in on this conversation after a busy weekend, but I totally agree. I feel like we give them a couple gold now for some useful tidbit and tell them there will be more later if they continue to be useful.

Another alternative is to tell them that we are about to procure a ship of our own and want to get in on this smuggling action. That way we can infiltrate it from the inside. It's a high risk, high reward scenario, and it will require a lot of deception, but it could be really effective and a lot of fun

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ettin in the Playground

I know you guys are working out how you want to handle it, but just wanted to say if other people want to ask them anything, heal the other guys, or do anything else it can be handled. While it makes in-world sense to let one or two people do all the talking, we'll take care of it.

Just want to make sure everyone isn't waiting on River to tell/ask them things or worried about jumbling up the conversation.
    I also figure as long as everyone is working towards the same goal, we'll let River's diplomacy cover it rather than worry about someone else ruining it. If you want to go in a different direction then diplomacy that separately.
    Which is what I tried to do between the good-cop bad-cop thing.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I think we're just planning. I'm going to bed now, but if nothings up by tomorrow I'll post

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

I figured the good-cop bad-cop thing, was the way to obtain info via river.
    then give them a couple gp to put an ear out good idea promise of more okay idea do not invite them to our ship raid but maybe after(presuming we get the ship) we could look at hireling them on

14. - Top - End - #164
    Dwarf in the Playground

I interpreted your bad cop threat as, "I will take your valuables" and was surprised at the dark turn she took it as. Was I correct?

Looking back it makes sense that someone who lived a hard life would interpret someone grabbing at their clothes as a sexual threat.

I found that interaction potentially interesting considering Olivia's backstory.

I agree that our intention should be to give them some GP for the promise of information on the underworld of this city and also to put the word out that our group is not to be trifled with. The smuggling probably includes religious effects, considering where we are.
    Last edited by TheStillWind; 2018-12-03 at 03:44 PM.
    greyish blue #647693

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    I interpreted your bad cop threat as, "I will take your valuables" and was surprised at the dark turn she took it as. Was I correct?

Looking back it makes sense that someone who lived a hard life would interpret someone grabbing at their clothes as a sexual threat.

I found that interaction potentially interesting considering Olivia's backstory.

I agree that our intention should be to give them some GP for the promise of information on the underworld of this city and also to put the word out that our group is not to be trifled with. The smuggling probably includes religious effects, considering where we are.
    Was I correct? - ehh not quite, in this instance it was truly ment as a threat to garner information
    sexual threat ? don't think that threat was sexual in any form. it was grabbing the armor fasteners to get a hold of the armor to make said threat.

interaction potentially interesting - okay so backstory is more or less, why I am playing Olivia's romantic interest in female party members
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-03 at 09:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Olivia's actions on their own weren't suggestive in nature, but when combined with some of what River had just said, the nature of the streets, and the disorientation that would come from being knocked unconscious and then brought back I figured it wasn't much of a stretch for her to go there.

I'll give others a little bit more time to add anything before moving us forward. Not sure if anyone else had anything they wanted to add/ask but don't want to make the opportunity too short.

rather than double post, here is an edit:
    Playing around with some map options. While Mipui does seem to work ok, it seems you can't set a background image. So I've been experimenting and think I've got an option that will work.

Spoiler: image
    Show

Real spoiler, this will be the fishing boat, not exactly what I had in mind but close enough given my art skills (which consist of taking things from the internet)
    Just pretend like the ballista isn't there and add piles of nets and crab cages.

If anyone has any issues with it loading or hard to read or anything like that let me know.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-12-04 at 02:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

okay nice boat do you know the scale of the squares?

here is another ship that might work GM the silver star and no I do not know the scale but presume 5ft squares based on the mast sizes

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

5ft makes sense based on the chairs as well.
    greyish blue #647693

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

I've looked over a number of ship maps, I'm sure we'll find plenty different ones as we go. 5ft scale is what I've seen almost everything and what I'm running that as. Will need to pick out tokens or pictures for the couple people that don't have them to use.

Looking at Olivia's purchases though got me looking again at the firearms.
    The dragoon pistol should only use the dragoon cartridges, which aren't alchemical cartridges, 3 shots per cartridge.
    She should also have the Gunsmithing Feat (part of Gun Chemist) so you can make your own without much issue.

With guns as commonplace though, the prices are all 1/4 of the price listed in the table. So a dragoon cartridge is 7.5g, rather than 30. The Dragoon Pistol is 375gp rather than 1500gp.
    So a masterwork Dragoon Pistol is 675gp, and 6 cartridges is 45gp. So Olivia overcharged herself by 1296gp. If you wanted to have crafted them yourself that is built into the Gunsmithing feat, you would just have to pick up the gunsmith's kit (15gp). You would also have started with a free regular Pistol, Musket, or Blunderbuss that could be upgraded to masterwork for 300gp (or sold for (4d10)[20] GP). Having a scatter or long range weapon in addition to your pistol wouldn't be a bad option.

Edit: Ship's Boat, etc.
    Well a rowboat is 50gp and fits 3 people (4 in a squeeze)
    A ship's boat is 500gp and fits 12 people (16 in a squeeze) (although that price seems a little high to me, a heavy cart is the same size at 100gp) Going to put this at 300gp
    They have a jolly-boat, which is essentially inbetween those but don't have a price for it. I'm going to put the size at 6 base, 8 squeeze, and set the price to 150gp
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-12-04 at 03:26 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Well, we mostly just want it for the sake of ferrying our own team, and the fishing ship probably does not have a great deal of space for the larger boat. If none object, I suggest we just stick with a jolly boat. That's pretty easy to afford anyways.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ettin in the Playground

Items I'm adding because I'm surprised they don't already exist:
    Rope Ladders, same weight as a 50ft rope of the same type, 50% more expensive, comes in 15ft increments.
    15ft Hemp Rope Ladder, 1.5gp, 10 lbs
    15ft Silk Rope Ladder, 15gp, 5 lbs
    30ft Spider Silk Rope Ladder, 300gp, 8lbs.
    You get the idea, all the variations are available.

The Jacob's Ladders and Ratlines that are fixed to the ship are similar but generally heavier duty and wider.

Edit: Just to be clear unlike the spells of similar ability, you've got to get the tops of these secured manually.
    Grappling hooks are an option, but throwing them is at a -5 compared to a single grappling hook on a simple rope.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-12-04 at 05:39 PM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

I attempting to justify knowing the bard spells Track Ship and Create Treasure Map with an arcana check. If the pirates are routed instead of fully defeated we can try to find their base using those quite nicely.

Another thing to consider is a few gangplanks for boarding. We could have some sabotaged planks that are meant as bait for boarding pirates. If we set the gang planks in a boarding situation some pirates might want to come 'thank us' for doing their work for them and run out on a greased up plank over open water.

We could strategically set up the crab pots around the gunwhale to act as cover/a funnel for boarding locations.

Tanglefoot bags are always useful. Is it feasible for our alchemists to craft those in the time we are on the ship if we get the supplies now?

Speaking of our alchemists, we have not heard from Lekkric recently. Has anyone heard from him?
    Last edited by TheStillWind; 2018-12-04 at 09:14 PM.
    greyish blue #647693

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

The treasure map sure seems a lot more like a necromancer spell rather than divination, but whatever. I had missed that one last time I was looking over spells.

Grease would be easy for them to make, tanglefoot bags take a while and is on the upper end of what they can do without too much trouble, but it is possible.

Also Olivia has only picked 3 of the 6 spells she should know base. Learning additional ones is always an option and the city has the resources for pretty much anything at these levels.

I've seen that Lekkric has shown as active recently the times I've checked but hasn't posted anything since the 16th. I sent him a message the other day but haven't gotten a response.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

ChaosHarmony\River messagee me that he has been working long days recently and not getting to post much.
    He wasn't sure if he should drop. I figure give it some time and see. But in the mean time move forward with any plans

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

RE: the dragoon cartridges
    These clips of alchemical cartridges hold three bullets and fit the slot of either the dragoon musket or the dragoon pistol. They allow the wielder of those firearms to fire up to three shots in quick succession without the need to reload.

I had left the Gunsmith down in the lower section - so I moved it up to feats area
    Yes I know Olivia could make the bullet -however I felt like buying the 1 bullet
    well 1/4th huh so the Dragoon Alchemical Cartridge, 30 gp(7.5x 30 = (225 gp)
    masterwork Dragoon Pistol is 675gp - okay fixed
    gunsmith's kit - purchased
    free regular Pistol - yes sold at 50% book value initially during recruitment was okayed - if I recall correctly
    long range weapon in addition to your pistol - I find School transmutation; Level cleric/oracle 0, sorcerer/wizard 0
    - so I do not know what this is about - link please

so the rest should be fixed

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

Mostly symantic, just that dragoon cartridges aren't alchemical cartridges.
    Either way 30 shots is 10 cartridges, so 75gp. 225gp would be 30 cartridges, 90 shots.

I must have just forget about selling the starter gun.

Did you want the Alchemist Crafting Kit (25gp, 5lbs)?

Not sure what the last part is saying.

Other 3 spells (2 base, 2 from int, 1 level 2 and 3)
    Longshot, true strike, touch of the sea, adhesive spittle, expeditious retreat. All seem like reasonable additional choices.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Mostly symantic, just that dragoon cartridges aren't alchemical cartridges.
    -the description says clips of alchemical cartridges - how can you say they are not?

Either way 30 shots is 10 cartridges, so 75gp. 225gp would be 30 cartridges, 90 shots.
    yes 90 shots - goes alongwith my get a bigger gun theory... in this case she is not likely to run out during the adventure

Did you want the Alchemist Crafting Kit (25gp, 5lbs)?
    I don't know I will look at it Edit : Kit, Alchemy Crafting 25 gp 5lb - purchased

Other 3 spells (2 base, 2 from int, 1 level 2 and 3)
    Longshot, true strike, touch of the sea, adhesive spittle, expeditious retreat. All seem like reasonable additional choices.
    your talking the alchemical exctracts / spells then ... I think and I think it only gets the 3 I have listed.. so I will list these others on the other side for now as I already had listed in spells :Cure Light Wounds, Identify, Shield, which I think are usefull
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-06 at 07:26 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    -the description says clips of alchemical cartridges - how can you say they are not?
    Your right, it is the description, just not in the name. Was trying to make sure there was no confusion, which I think made it more confusing.
    Your alchemical ordinance ability works on them just fine (which I wasn't questioning but probably why you were sure to put alchemical in the name)

yes 90 shots - goes alongwith my get a bigger gun theory... in this case she is not likely to run out during the adventure
    just making sure, I'm pretty sure one revision of your sheet has 30 shots rather than 30 cartridges listed.

your talking the alchemical exctracts / spells then ... I think and I think it only gets the 3 I have listed.. so I will list these others on the other side for now as I already had listed in spells :Cure Light Wounds, Identify, Shield, which I think are usefull
    You can prepare\cast 4 per day (3+1 bonus) which is of course on your sheet. But your book should have 6 known spells. And of course you can add new ones to your book like a wizard (which is 35g, 25g for the scroll, 10g to write it, for level 1. Pregame just assuming the spellcraft checks were good*)

*Not sure if anyone else did this, it is standard. Didn't look over exact number of spells on all the sheets, just knew Olivia's was short

Edit: just to make sure, I'm assuming you'll prepare the dex mutagen each day unless you state otherwise. Haven't specified yet. Takes an hour to prep, the extracts only take 1 minute so easy enough to decide right before or after a combat, but mutagen is more of a morning pick.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-12-06 at 12:58 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

ehh yeah I guess I should put something about the mutagen on the sheet
    +2 natural armor bonus and a +4 alchemical Dex -2 Wis

then pay for 4 extra extract recipes
    can add new ones to your book like a wizard (which is 35g
    total 140 gp

my sheet is completely updated

sorry if this has been a bother I am fairly green to pathfinder, having played 3.5 forever practically - hate 4th and mixed on 5th\

Edit notation on jolly boat - just want to make certain folks know that boat is a glorified rowboat, with maybe the option for a small ish sail. and under the oar power of 4 at best keep up but would never catch a ship at 1/4 sail with the wind

GM something I am thinking of, That might help in this case but I can not find one in pathfinder srd- basically is a harpoon rope gun the harpoon end has effectively a collapsible grappler for it's head and depending on hull type and thickness could punch through or at the very least grab hold to pull 2 ships together for boarding - does such a thing exist and if so how much - Olivia might go for that
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-06 at 02:51 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The closest I am aware of will be a light or heavy crank crossbow. Just 250 gold for the light version. They are exotic weapons, but if you are shooting to hit the equivalent of a wall, the penalty for non proficiency is not really a factor.

In any case, they do what you were describing. Up to 50 feet of rope can be attached to the winch on the thing, and they can fire a barbed Bolt or grappling hook.

I do believe there is a firearm modification that would also do the trick, but unless I have missed something, the only way to access it by default used to be a specific archetype of the Gunslinger.

In any case, I am well aware that a jolly-boat is no substitute for a ship, we're not going to be out running anything in one. It's mostly there to open up options a little more subtle than taking the fishing ship
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-12-06 at 03:23 PM.