Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    sorry if this has been a bother I am fairly green to pathfinder, having played 3.5 forever practically - hate 4th and mixed on 5th\
    It isn't a problem, I'm not really well versed in all the options either. So I have to look over things to double check.

Edit notation on jolly boat - just want to make certain folks know that boat is a glorified rowboat, with maybe the option for a small ish sail. and under the oar power of 4 at best keep up but would never catch a ship at 1/4 sail with the wind
    He mentioned it so you have options that could minimize the risk to his ship. Letting you guys use his also runs the risk of them being stuck on the ship if they can't make it to a deep harbor, their ship is too large to land out on an open shoreline, they pretty much need a dock.

GM something I am thinking of, That might help in this case but I can not find one in pathfinder srd- basically is a harpoon rope gun the harpoon end has effectively a collapsible grappler for it's head and depending on hull type and thickness could punch through or at the very least grab hold to pull 2 ships together for boarding - does such a thing exist and if so how much - Olivia might go for that
    Quote Originally Posted by Daishain View Post
    The closest I am aware of will be a light or heavy crank crossbow. Just 250 gold for the light version. They are exotic weapons, but if you are shooting to hit the equivalent of a wall, the penalty for non proficiency is not really a factor.

In any case, they do what you were describing. Up to 50 feet of rope can be attached to the winch on the thing, and they can fire a barbed Bolt or grappling hook.
    Yeah, the crank crossbows are about as close as anything I've found. Short of trying to do about the same thing with a full size siege ballista that is your best bet.

While they are exotic weapons, they've got pretty obvious applications on ships, such as whaling. So while you might not be able to find dozens of them in town, you will be able to find some heavies and more lights.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    It isn't a problem, I'm not really well versed in all the options either. So I have to look over things to double check.

He mentioned it so you have options that could minimize the risk to his ship. Letting you guys use his also runs the risk of them being stuck on the ship if they can't make it to a deep harbor, their ship is too large to land out on an open shoreline, they pretty much need a dock.

Yeah, the crank crossbows are about as close as anything I've found. Short of trying to do about the same thing with a full size siege ballista that is your best bet.

While they are exotic weapons, they've got pretty obvious applications on ships, such as whaling. So while you might not be able to find dozens of them in town, you will be able to find some heavies and more lights.
    okay its something that I think I will try working out with you -later - when and if we snag us our own ship with this current excursion
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-07 at 01:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

So has everyone picked up everything they need in town? Since the estimate was being gone two weeks and not having access to much beyond fish once you set out, I want to make sure everyone is set.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

just a presumption on food onboard ship that to a degree it will be provided- ..
    or would we need some sort of survival fishing to catch our own fish to supplement our rations?

if the later then I guess I would buy a Kit, Fishing Price 5 sp; Weight 3 lbs.
    This kit includes a simple fishing pole and a small box that contains fishing tackle (hooks, lines, sinkers, floats, and lures).
    OR
    Fishing Tackle Price: 20 gp; Weight: 5 lb. More than a mere fishhook, this set includes birch poles, silk line, sinkers, hooks, lures, and tackle box. It grants a +1 circumstance bonus on Survival checks when gathering food around bodies of water that contain fish.

so I will wait on this until I hear back on the provisioning as olive only has 7 days rations
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-07 at 11:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ettin in the Playground

They were planning on feeding you the same as the rest of the crew. To start with it would be simple rations, but once the fish start coming in they'll take enough to feed the crew (and the profits were figured after that).

Feel free to get a pole if you want though. Can't say for sure what the situation will be when you end up on your own ship.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

They were planning on feeding you the same as the rest of the crew. To start with it would be simple rations, but once the fish start coming in they'll take enough to feed the crew (and the profits were figured after that).

Feel free to get a pole if you want though. Can't say for sure what the situation will be when you end up on your own ship.
    I can just see it headed back to port - several days - survival check to find food and how? so yeah that is to true

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

First of all, I owe you all an apology. I've had a busy couple of weeks and they show no sign of slowing down until after the new year. I should have said something sooner. With the holidays coming up, I'll continue to be slow in my posting.

Also, wanted to ask about a 3rd party spell on the spell list GM sent me here:
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spells.../druid-spells/

The spell I'm asking about is water jet. It's a 2nd level spell that does 1d6 per level, and knocks over enemies in the blast. It seemed slightly op for a second level spell, and I wanted to check with the GM before using it in game.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by optimumsquare View Post
    First of all, I owe you all an apology. I've had a busy couple of weeks and they show no sign of slowing down until after the new year. I should have said something sooner. With the holidays coming up, I'll continue to be slow in my posting.
    I think that might be an issue for many people. We'll be ok and see what happens at the start of the year.

Also, wanted to ask about a 3rd party spell on the spell list GM sent me here:
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/spells.../druid-spells/

The spell I'm asking about is water jet. It's a 2nd level spell that does 1d6 per level, and knocks over enemies in the blast. It seemed slightly op for a second level spell, and I wanted to check with the GM before using it in game.
    I had looked at that one earlier.
    The damage looks like it is on the high side but not out of line for wizards but much higher than anything else druids have.

What if we tried it at 1d6 per 2 CL, see how that feels after a few uses?

9. - Top - End - #189
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I had looked at that one earlier.
    The damage looks like it is on the high side but not out of line for wizards but much higher than anything else druids have.

What if we tried it at 1d6 per 2 CL, see how that feels after a few uses?
    If we do that can we remove the 5d6 damage cap?
    Last edited by optimumsquare; 2018-12-09 at 09:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ettin in the Playground

If we do that can we remove the 5d6 damage cap?
    I will tenatively say yes. It will be quite a while before we get there. 1d6+1d6/2CL actually is what I was thinking, so 2d6 at level 3.

It has been almost a month since we've heard from Lekkric. If we haven't heard from him by the time this trip is over we'll leave him in town and split his cut between everyone else. I also won't delay for his turn in combat if we don't hear from him.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

a thought on that resting watch that could be a good time to see how to lead/ run the crew -
    I figure that if Olivia is going after effectively mate or 2nd in command she needs to know every position on any ship
    and from ship to ship things wont change much.

EDIT to avoid multipost...
    okay so listing a ship speed is all fine and great but if you want to be more accurate 2.5 mph should really be listed in knots
    2.5mph is about 2.2 knots

hull speed in knots is approximately 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet

based on the picture the fishing ship is
    20ft wde 55ft long has 2 masts
    would be close to a sloop or schooner and would see a hull speed about 10 knots - with wind speed gentle breeze 8 knots

Spoiler: The Ship
    Show

Other Terms
    wind speeds
    gentle breeze 8 knots
    moderate 14 knots
    fresh 19 knots
    strong 25 knots
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-11 at 08:35 AM.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

I heard back from Lekkric, he had a family emergency and will have to drop. He thought he had posted but hadn't, didn't mean to leave us hanging.
    We can have someone run Morley, have him turn into an NPC, or just have him go passive until you get back to land where he can leave. I want to see what you guys want to happen.

a thought on that resting watch that could be a good time to see how to lead/ run the crew -
    I figure that if Olivia is going after effectively mate or 2nd in command she needs to know every position on any ship
    and from ship to ship things wont change much.
    That was what I thought. I'm still working on how to handle some of the directly ship related events, storms, reefs, etc.

EDIT to avoid multipost...
    okay so listing a ship speed is all fine and great but if you want to be more accurate 2.5 mph should really be listed in knots
    2.5mph is about 2.2 knots

hull speed in knots is approximately 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet

based on the picture the fishing ship is
    20ft wde 55ft long has 2 masts
    would be close to a sloop or schooner and would see a hull speed about 10 knots - with wind speed gentle breeze 8 knots

Other Terms
    wind speeds
    gentle breeze 8 knots
    moderate 14 knots
    fresh 19 knots
    strong 25 knots
    I know knots is what is normally used in nautical situations, but I didn't feel like doing the conversions and I figured everyone else wouldn't either. I left the map squares in miles too.

The ship building rules set the speed based on the number of rigging locations (as they define them, which is an abstraction) rather than the size of the ship, but the size of the ship determines how many rigging locations can be had, so it mostly works out. It also means ships can be somewhat faster or slower even of the same size.

As for the speed, I listed the "overland" speed rate, so that is more of the "expected average" than anything else. Trying to take into account tacking, good winds, weak winds, and that sort of thing. For this case though, I probably should have listed the tactical movement speed of the ship, which is 4. Four 20ft squares in a round is 800ft/min, which is about ~9mpg (~8 knots). Under normal wind. They treat weak wind at 1/2 speed and strong wind at 1.5x speed (which would be over hull speed, but whatever).

I'll try to get some of the tables from Razor Coast posted here later today. See what I can get that isn't just copy-pasting large portions of the pdf here.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Dwarf in the Playground

While we are talking about spells... What are the chances that Daegan can gain access to the second level Sorc/Wiz spell Arrow Eruption? It is not on the magus spell list, but since I am using the ranged archtype I think it makes sense. There are a couple other spells that would be interesting as well, but I figured I would ask about this one to start.

I would be willing to do "Spell Research" in game, through the spell research rules knowledge arcane/spellcraft/gp for materials. I also have access to other party arcane casters to bounce ideas off of (possible aid another in knowledge arcane and spellcraft).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

14. - Top - End - #194
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Wow, 2 crits in a row!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    Wow, 2 crits in a row!
    yeah hope that doesn't come back to haunt us..
    A Fantasctic Song that truly inspires all.

Edit on the ship stuff Okay I did not realize that you were intentionally leaving stuff as mph/miles ect... and I am good with that and the sail rigging locations to help determine speed is fine because more sails = more speed usually.

don't mind me, I just RL spent to much time around large ships (IE, 1 & 2 mast sailing ships, destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers)
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-11 at 06:05 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    While we are talking about spells... What are the chances that Daegan can gain access to the second level Sorc/Wiz spell Arrow Eruption? It is not on the magus spell list, but since I am using the ranged archtype I think it makes sense. There are a couple other spells that would be interesting as well, but I figured I would ask about this one to start.

I would be willing to do "Spell Research" in game, through the spell research rules knowledge arcane/spellcraft/gp for materials. I also have access to other party arcane casters to bounce ideas off of (possible aid another in knowledge arcane and spellcraft).
    It doesn't look more powerful than some of the other options you've got built in, especially with the limit of having to kill something first. I'll say you can pick it up, but you're going to have to learn it from someone and compensate them accordingly, can't just take it as a free at level up spell.

don't mind me, I just RL spent to much time around large ships (IE, 1 & 2 mast sailing ships, destroyers, cruisers, aircraft carriers)
    Yeah I've figured that out
    If you want to write up what the crew teaches you guys go ahead I'm just making up things that sound close enough and double checking a few little points on Wikipedia/etc.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

It doesn't look more powerful than some of the other options you've got built in, especially with the limit of having to kill something first. I'll say you can pick it up, but you're going to have to learn it from someone and compensate them accordingly, can't just take it as a free at level up spell.

Yeah I've figured that out
    If you want to write up what the crew teaches you guys go ahead I'm just making up things that sound close enough and double checking a few little points on Wikipedia/etc.
    nah your doing great, aside from every swear word in the book which don't do that here or use $^&* but be careful the mods could say something

the basics of a sailing vessel are, sails, ropes, knots (the ones you tie) technical terms for each sail, or cross arm ect. no real need to worry on that. basic, you climb to the first, second, third highest arm, crows nest, sail gathering, just stating gathering of sails or some such should work. technical terms bow stern, port starboard are great but front back left right works also. deck, below deck, cargo deck, bilge deck cannon deck stuff like that

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Samduke has IRL ranks in profession(sailor).
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________
    greyish blue #647693

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by TheStillWind View Post
    Samduke has IRL ranks in profession(sailor).
    ehh maybe but that was like decades ago

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

Still, that is way more than the rest of us. I've watched a few movies with ships (and not all of them had Johnny Depp), the Dirty Jobs episode where he was working on a restored ship, and visited the museum in Stockholm with the very intact one that sank just after launch. Other than that, I've owned a small fish/ski boat and that's about it.

I had meant to post more yesterday but went to visit some friends and ended up there much later than I expected. I'll get more posted sometime tonight.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, so here's my general proposal. Upon sighting a ship that may have hostile intentions, the party gathers above deck while the regular crew duck below.

If it is pirates, we'll haul off and let them approach, then effectively smack them in the face as soon as they prepare to board. Have those among the regular crew willing to fight armed with whatever they're most comfortable with, and acting in support. They can charge back up onto the deck as things kick off.

Obviously, we'll have to tailor the approach to the circumstances.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

Okay, so here's my general proposal. Upon sighting a ship that may have hostile intentions, the party gathers above deck while the regular crew duck below.

If it is pirates, we'll haul off and let them approach, then effectively smack them in the face as soon as they prepare to board. Have those among the regular crew willing to fight armed with whatever they're most comfortable with, and acting in support. They can charge back up onto the deck as things kick off.

Obviously, we'll have to tailor the approach to the circumstances.
    the tactic is sound, we need to be observant about...
    moderate wind from the east, running about perpendicular to the direction you're currently traveling.
    originates in the east and blows west..
    so we need to know certain factors which way land/reefs are and about how far, currently the ship is reduced sail for fishing so need to know how many sails are furled and which ones.
    do we know how long the anchor chain is?

we know that we are headed more or less west at the moment and if push comes to shove we should be able to sail upto 45 degrees maybe as much as 60 into the wind but that will be at very slow speeds and would require change of direction to the wind alot.

something to keep in mind if we get into any sort of ship maneuvers with a potential pirate combat
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-14 at 01:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

d6 Re: Adventure on the Inner Seas [PF][OOC]

By the way DM, I forgot to mention this before. I was interested in outfitting the regular crew with a bunch of light crossbows if they do not already have appropriate weapons for fire support.

We can handle the brunt of the fighting, but a few volleys even from untrained men can make a major difference.

So what is the situation in that regard?

If you do retroactively let us pick up an arsenal, a few training sessions would be appropriate. At least enough to be sure they can hit the broadside of a barn rather than each other.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-12-14 at 06:40 AM.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

By the way DM, I forgot to mention this before. I was interested in outfitting the regular crew with a bunch of light crossbows if they do not already have appropriate weapons for fire support.

We can handle the brunt of the fighting, but a few volleys even from untrained man can make a major difference.

So what is the situation in that regard?
    You want untrained artillery firing into potential melee?
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanne Collins
    Strange things did happen here, no stranger would it be if we met at midnight in the hanging tree

25. - Top - End - #205
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticHarmony View Post
    You want untrained artillery firing into potential melee?
    No, I want them firing at the other side's artillery and anyone else we are most definitely not in melee with.
    Last edited by Daishain; 2018-12-14 at 06:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

No, I want them firing at the other side's artillery and anyone else we are most definitely not in melee with.
    yeah a few days worth of training they might hit the broadside of an opposing ship. Unless it is a short volley, that is at most 2-3 shots pre melee combat, I do not think we want to risk them pin-cushioning us, but then again, shooting pre melee could also cause the other to turn and run at full sail, and they might be faster - this is a fishing ship

I think we should not do the artillery bit - outfit the crew with knives/swords if we must but lets keep this simple, allow them to come in board then fight
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-14 at 08:02 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

You misunderstand. We are only going to be able to engage in melee with a small portion of the opposing crew. We would task the crossbowmen with firing at those who are not engaged with us. They would not be firing until we attack, when the enemy is not in a position to run away.

In regards to equipping them with melee weapons, not a good idea in my estimation. Asking them to fire at a distant target and hope they get lucky is one thing, asking them to dodge sword blows is quite another. In any case, they would have the same problem as the opposing crew no, only a small portion is able to engage the other in melee at one time. Unless we let them take the lead, which is not fulfilling our job, there is probably no point to them having melee weapons.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateWench

no I understood -
    scenario - crew with crossbows, ship coming in to board, drops sails, then either swings across or uses a boarding plank
    we defend - crew shoots at other ship crew drops maybe 4 if we are lucky, other ship has only sent over the expendables, and pulls sail and heads out leaving the few behind to die
    OR
    we attack, we swing or boarding plank, we must wade through the file and rank to get to an officer unless one of us gets lucky, mean while the untrained crew is shooting at what ever they see and we risk a random bolt in the backside.

ship deck battles as a whole are a chaotic thing and people are going to be all over the place and that makes it hard from the untrained to attempt picking of a rare few while avoiding any friendly in the area
    Last edited by samduke; 2018-12-14 at 12:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Orc in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I am all on board with training up a crew of snipers, but I think we should temper expectations. This seems to me like a long term project and one that probably won't be completed on this ship, especially considering that we are hoping to take over another ship and we don't know how much of the crew will be joining us. Having a crew of marksman is a super good tool in the toolbox but one that we can work up to.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ettin in the Playground

Last two days of work have been hectic...

If you wanted to pick up a few weapons you could have found 2 of any mundane types, there wouldn't have been dozens sitting on shelves. (In town total yes, not in the one or two shops you would have been to in your half day shopping).
    They're not incapable of protecting themselves, but not great at it. Robel and Lita are not that weak, just past their prime and more cautious than they would have been when younger.
    There's enough knives on board for everyone to have a dagger and the officers have swords, but they're more akin to simple guards than anything else.

If you ask there are probably a decent number that would help defended the ship.

There will be a few other weapons around too, a couple gaffs, a few spears.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2018-12-15 at 02:46 AM.