New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Doesn't sound worse than O2F2, because that makes ice burn and it's also deadly poison, but still nasty I guess. Or does O2F2 not burn gravel?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

*I can't use Foof and Chlorine Trifluoride to burn fire elementsls to death.
    **I can use them when fighting Mephistopheles* and laugh at him about how it's better than his Hellfire without using any magic.

*The D&D one, lord of the 8th, ruler of a plane of ice and fire, invented Hellfire which in D&D is a magical substance that burns things without actually doing firedamage.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Titan in the Playground

Rater, don't give the comic book writers ideas. I don't think they write such abilities with these dangerous chemicals in mind

@ daniel: we don't technically know I guess, I tried looking that question up, but it doesn't say that it reacts with gravel, only the organic stuff like ammonia or water ice. but O2F2 doesn't seem to be as well-tested or well known as Chlorine Trifluoride so....who knows? I mean you can try finding out, but.....probably not a wise idea.....

* Any M&M character that can create, transmute things into, or transform themselves into chlorine trifluoride I make is banned
    ** Any Wild Talents character that can do any chlorine trifluoride related power that doesn't involve getting rid of it that I make is banned
    *** There is no godbound character with a Word relating to Chlorine Trifluoride.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

4. - Top - End - #1264

*When playing Marvel Superheroes and told to make "spider-man" tier characters, I can't cite the time that an android with the best approximation of Spider-Man's powers that Kang te conqueror could build defeated Captain America, Giant-Man, the Wasp, and Thor in successive one on one straight fights only to get it's ass kicked by the real spider-man, the time Spider-Man supported the weight of a forty-story skyscraper, or when Otto Octavius in Spider-Man's body needed The Hulk and a woman wielding Mjolnir to hold him down and he was still slowly moving forward, dragging them behind him.
    **Can't do this solely for the case of making an omega-level Atlantean mutant.
    ***"Can breathe air, generate gasses ex nilho, and control the wind and various kinds of gasses" are not appropriate powers for an Atlantean.
    ****It doesn't matter if I'm trying to do an inversion of the "human with the power to breathe and control water" gimmick that's a lot more common than you'd think it would be.

(Technically all Atlanteans are mutants. Some sources cite them as a branch of mutants who breed true and underwent speciation due to thousands of years separated from the main human population. Atlantean mutants are Atlanteans whose X-Gene complexes contain powers that aren't standard or that have undergone what would be considered secondary mutations in a human mutant. For the record, Namor is a mutant on his Atlantean side.)

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *When playing Marvel Superheroes and told to make "spider-man" tier characters, I can't cite the time that an android with the best approximation of Spider-Man's powers that Kang te conqueror could build defeated Captain America, Giant-Man, the Wasp, and Thor in successive one on one straight fights only to get it's ass kicked by the real spider-man, the time Spider-Man supported the weight of a forty-story skyscraper, or when Otto Octavius in Spider-Man's body needed The Hulk and a woman wielding Mjolnir to hold him down and he was still slowly moving forward, dragging them behind him.
    **Can't do this solely for the case of making an omega-level Atlantean mutant.
    ***"Can breathe air, generate gasses ex nilho, and control the wind and various kinds of gasses" are not appropriate powers for an Atlantean.
    ****It doesn't matter if I'm trying to do an inversion of the "human with the power to breathe and control water" gimmick that's a lot more common than you'd think it would be.

(Technically all Atlanteans are mutants. Some sources cite them as a branch of mutants who breed true and underwent speciation due to thousands of years separated from the main human population. Atlantean mutants are Atlanteans whose X-Gene complexes contain powers that aren't standard or that have undergone what would be considered secondary mutations in a human mutant. For the record, Namor is a mutant on his Atlantean side.)
    ...What was "Spider-Man tier" supposed to mean, then?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #1266

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...What was "Spider-Man tier" supposed to mean, then?
    Most people think of Spider-Man as "street level."

The truth is, Spider-Man is only street level because he wants to help the little guy, and because he doesn't have the means to be a national scale hero.

In the early days, Thor would regularly try to get Spidey into the avengers, Spider-Man's first encounter with the Fantastic Four ended with a misunderstanding that resulted in him kicking the crap out of them.

Then there are Peter's villains.

The Green Goblin once basically took over the United States and is to Marvel what Lex Luthor is to DC. The Rhino is a gamma-ray mutate who used to be just as much of a Hulk villain as a Spider-Man one.

More recently, The Shocker, who is generally considered a C-List Spider-Man villain, went to Jersey City when he decided he wanted to give being a big-shot villain a try(he's generally only in it for money, not glory, and is one of the smarter Spider-Man villains in terms of common sense.) While there, he pretty much made a mockery of Ms. Marvel, declared himself "invincible in New Jersey," and was clearly having a blast up until Kamala defeated more or less by using his own gadgets against him and teleporting him back to New York.

Peter deals with these guys on a regular basis.

Then there's Miles, who is immortal, able to generate bursts of lightning comparable to a blast from Mjolnir, and is strong enough to shatter what I assume to be adamantium based on the fact that it was an attempted recreation of Captain America's shield.

People look at Spiders and think "street" but Spider-Powers are god-tier.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Most people think of Spider-Man as "street level."

The truth is, Spider-Man is only street level because he wants to help the little guy, and because he doesn't have the means to be a national scale hero.

In the early days, Thor would regularly try to get Spidey into the avengers, Spider-Man's first encounter with the Fantastic Four ended with a misunderstanding that resulted in him kicking the crap out of them.

Then there are Peter's villains.

The Green Goblin once basically took over the United States and is to Marvel what Lex Luthor is to DC. The Rhino is a gamma-ray mutate who used to be just as much of a Hulk villain as a Spider-Man one.

More recently, The Shocker, who is generally considered a C-List Spider-Man villain, went to Jersey City when he decided he wanted to give being a big-shot villain a try(he's generally only in it for money, not glory, and is one of the smarter Spider-Man villains in terms of common sense.) While there, he pretty much made a mockery of Ms. Marvel, declared himself "invincible in New Jersey," and was clearly having a blast up until Kamala defeated more or less by using his own gadgets against him and teleporting him back to New York.

Peter deals with these guys on a regular basis.

Then there's Miles, who is immortal, able to generate bursts of lightning comparable to a blast from Mjolnir, and is strong enough to shatter what I assume to be adamantium based on the fact that it was an attempted recreation of Captain America's shield.

People look at Spiders and think "street" but Spider-Powers are god-tier.
    Oh.

Yeah, I get it now.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

* "Deadpool tier character" doesn't mean "multi-fictional metaverse mass murdering monster who kills the very archetypes that underpin fiction itself"
    ** Breaking the fourth wall does not lead to reality-warping omnipotence.

* may not propose we deal with a female efreet by setting her against a female marid just so I manipulate them into fighting each other
    ** May not make a pun about things getting "steamy"
    *** May not wonder what the steam child that would be born from their rivalry would be like.

9. - Top - End - #1269

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    * "Deadpool tier character" doesn't mean "multi-fictional metaverse mass murdering monster who kills the very archetypes that underpin fiction itself"
    ** Breaking the fourth wall does not lead to reality-warping omnipotence.
    ***May not cite Gwendolyn Poole(The Unbelievable Gwenpool) as evidence that it does.
    ****Especially since she might be a Mutant.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

*I may not summon 48000 pound huge Earth elementals on top of buildings to crush them.
    **Especially wizard towers.
    ***I may not end campaigns with a single summon spell.

11. - Top - End - #1271

"Homer Simspon as the Incredible Hulk" is not a viable character concept.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

***May not cite Gwendolyn Poole(The Unbelievable Gwenpool) as evidence that it does.
    ****Especially since she might be a Mutant.
    * My Marvel/Exalted crossover can't have a Sidereal figuring out an SMA to replicate Gwenpool's reality warping
    ** Can't show up wherever I narratively need to be as a form of teleportation
    *** Can't achieve immortality by making all my deaths narratively uncomfirmable.
    **** I can't cast a curse on my enemies to make them say "What could possibly go wrong?"

13. - Top - End - #1273

* My Marvel/Exalted crossover can't have a Sidereal figuring out an SMA to replicate Gwenpool's reality warping
    *** Can't achieve immortality by making all my deaths narratively uncomfirmable.
    **** I can't cast a curse on my enemies to make them say "What could possibly go wrong?"
    *****Can't point out I'm pretty sure that you can already do that in base Exalted.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ettin in the Playground

Even gurps have option 2(when you are not visible in the scene you can just get anywhere that is not directly in the scene and have fun doing dynamic entries and whatever) and something nearly like 3.(it was "heal one wound at the end of each scene" and I forgot if it actually could bring you back to life or not)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-02-25 at 08:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Bugbear in the Playground

The old TSR Marvel Superheroes system has a power that's literally this. (T20/Troubleseeker)
    Play your character, not your alignment.

16. - Top - End - #1276

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    The old TSR Marvel Superheroes system has a power that's literally this. (T20/Troubleseeker)
    Yeah, but that's not exactly a "good" game. IIRC you rolled for powers randomly and any use of certain powers was considered evil.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Titan in the Playground

*****Can't point out I'm pretty sure that you can already do that in base Exalted.
    * Infinite Canvas Style is not a SMA you can learn
    ** Cannot replace it with Lightning Hieroglyph Style
    *** May not dodge an attack by quoting it then editing the quote to make sure it misses
    **** May not look at the narration or make my character be aware of which players is pulling the characters strings
    ***** May not in character have my Sidereal negotiate with the players themselves while the PC's are confused as to who they're talking to.

18. - Top - End - #1278

*"Superhero team" is not synonymous with "harem."
    **Nor with "Suicide Cult."
    ***Can't make a superhero who is a minor deity who knows a magic ritual that allows them to kill someone they love which causes them to come back to life as a minor god themselves the next day and have them be polyamorous.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    *I may not summon 48000 pound huge Earth elementals on top of buildings to crush them.
    **Especially wizard towers.
    ***I may not end campaigns with a single summon spell.
    I believe at least some later versions of D&D explicitly forbid such uses of those spells.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Even gurps have option 2(when you are not visible in the scene you can just get anywhere that is not directly in the scene and have fun doing dynamic entries and whatever) and something nearly like 3.(it was "heal one wound at the end of each scene" and I forgot if it actually could bring you back to life or not)
    Funnily enough, Truenamers, the worst PC class in the entire edition of 3.5e, get that ability sort of. Except it’s more like they know when their truename is said by anyone and then they can teleport there with their unlimited uses of Gate at level 20.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #1280

* I can't become an energy being for the sole sake of no-longer having to wear pants.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Ettin in the Playground

* Just because the rules never say that fires go out doesn't mean I can be on fire forever.

** Just because the character is 50% resistant to fire damage, 1d6/2 = 0 to 3, and has a way to constantly generate 4 temp hit points every round, does not mean I get to take rests while on fire.

*** Winning an encounter by making sexual innuendo that creeps out the evil cult, while failing to notice that I'm on fire, is no longer acceptable.

**** Not supposed to repeat the fire innuendo tactic with orcs, elementals, and bears. Because the combat centric characters and rules aren't being used and that's not fair.

***** No longer allowed the sentence "Dude, my codpiece, a gallon of oil, and some matches soloed the last three encounters. I think you should be able to handle some zombies."

****** No more playing Paranoia when the rest of the table is trying to play D&D. Even if I did get one of them to laugh snort soda out his nose.

22. - Top - End - #1282

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    * Just because the rules never say that fires go out doesn't mean I can be on fire forever.

** Just because the character is 50% resistant to fire damage, 1d6/2 = 0 to 3, and has a way to constantly generate 4 temp hit points every round, does not mean I get to take rests while on fire.

*** Winning an encounter by making sexual innuendo that creeps out the evil cult, while failing to notice that I'm on fire, is no longer acceptable.

**** Not supposed to repeat the fire innuendo tactic with orcs, elementals, and bears. Because the combat centric characters and rules aren't being used and that's not fair.

***** No longer allowed the sentence "Dude, my codpiece, a gallon of oil, and some matches soloed the last three encounters. I think you should be able to handle some zombies."

****** No more playing Paranoia when the rest of the table is trying to play D&D. Even if I did get one of them to laugh snort soda out his nose.
    In general, not allowed to set myself on fire for any reason.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I believe at least some later versions of D&D explicitly forbid such uses of those spells.
    Nothing stops a flying earth elemental from landing on a building in any edition.

24. - Top - End - #1284

I can't summon large or larger-sized animals on the ledge above a bad guy and push or compel them to jump so that they crush the bad guy.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Troll in the Playground

*Having the space pirates ambush the players right as they enter the system is tactically sound.
    **Having one of the enemy mechs rip one of the PC's right out of their mecha at the start of the fight is supported by the rules, but also a bit of a D-move.
    ***Then having one of the enemy pilots board the PC's mecha and fly off with it is crossing a line.
    ****Trying to steal the same PC's replacement mecha again the very next fight is definitely going too far.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2021-02-26 at 05:42 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Dwarf in the Playground

*I may not play a Warforged Juggernaut with maximum base weight, Flaw: Obese, and Vile Deformity: Obese, then kill opponents by jumping on them.

27. - Top - End - #1287

If at any point I can kill most humanoids by sitting on them, my character is retired.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

If at any point I can kill most humanoids by sitting on them, my character is retired.
    Damnit, there goes my dragon character campaign.

29. - Top - End - #1289

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Damnit, there goes my dragon character campaign.
    Complete honesty that was more about being heavy enough that sitting on someone would kill them, not simply being big.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Titan in the Playground

* Although my players won't notice, I cannot lift my setting's entire backstory from Yu-Gi-Oh.
    ** Even if the Millennium Items would make amazing Artefacts.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-02-26 at 07:51 PM.