Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Default Online text gaming

The title. Has anyone had any luck with gaming that way? I'm thinking of giving it a try on rpol.net as that one looks solid and is free.

Alternatively I saw a site advertising "professional" DMs but it requires you to pay per session played. For $15 a session it had better be the best game I've ever played in. Anyone tried those?
    THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T BRING A GEETAR TO A DUNGEON CRAWL!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Online text gaming

Roll20.net has a game called Knights of the Written Word, which is a multi-system text-only (I think they use tokens and maps, but no voice/video) hub. Find games and players there.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I play on a private ProBoards. It's a pretty basic PbP forum, much like that section of this forum. Unlike this forum, it's a much smaller, personal group of players. Certainly, people tend to ghost, and games do fall apart, but it has a strong "core" group of players that means most games do last.
    elephants are made of carbon

and so are you

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I have played in IRC for many years. We tend to use Discord now, but it amounts to the same thing. It tends to promote more in-character “acting,” especially if you use different channels for IC and OOC chat. Dice rolling bots in the OOC channel work quite well.

I have found that play-by-post sadly tends to eventually die out as players keep putting off responding.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Griffon

Most of my gaming these days is either here, RPoL or Myth-Weavers.