New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Sure I guess....

Edit: @ Rater, not all of us have a near encyclopedic knowledge of marvel comics, Rater. when I speak of things like this, I speak of general trends and expectations.

* Commander Shepard cannot be so bad at driving the Mako that she somehow makes it spin and flip everywhere, bounce between buildings, somehow fly upside down, then proceed to go off planet, achieve FTL speeds no mass effect drive can replicate only to fly through the entire universe during which the hyperspace around the mako becomes a multi-colored drug trip like landscape shifts to plaid, shifts to lovecraftian horrors shifts to various other surreal things, only then to loop back around to land on the planet she took off from right at their destination and get off as if nothing happened
    ** nor can Haru Okumura be so bad at driving that the car around her becomes a fireball expanding to fill the entire road and angels and demons suddenly burst from the flames to fight each other while she speeds as fast possible, an epic battle playing out around them as the entire road become a flaming tornado tunnel then when she hits maximum speed they somehow crash into their destination...but then they wake up and the car is just fine, Haru says nothing out of the ordinary happened even though you swear that wasn't a dream
    *** bad driving does not lead to absurd trippy surreal sequences that make no sense and affect nothing to mess with the PCs and players or to be funny.

* I cannot be so indecisive and uncertain about a characters powers and themes that I give them cosplay powers so they theoretically can have any power needed for what I want
    ** The cosplays can't be nothing but references to other characters and works I like
    *** Can't hide what those references are with flowery Exalted like names such as "Prismatic Caprine Angel", "Stubborn Inferno Detective", "Onyx Scissor Heroine", "Fallen Infinite Blade Hero" or "Azure Skeleton of Judgement"
    **** "Emerald Drills of Hope" is too obvious and fooling no one.
    I actually do not get any of those except maybe the drill one.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Ahem, welcome to page 50. We should probably come up with a title for the next iteration of this (incredibly silly) thread.

* I cannot put all my character points into flight and completely ignore everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Titan in the Playground

Something about the thread number being unlucky probably, can't think of something snappy atm tho.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Titan in the Playground

For thread title suggestions:

Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: We Need a New GM

Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Recruiting The Half-elf Bardic Army

Things I May No Longer Do Whole Playing XIII: GM's Girlfriend Is Not Purchaseable.

Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Multiclassing Is A Privilege Not A Right
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-05-20 at 06:33 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Colossus in the Playground

Edit: @ Rater, not all of us have a near encyclopedic knowledge of marvel comics, Rater. when I speak of things like this, I speak of general trends and expectations.
    That wasn't directed at you, that was directed at Bohondas, who said that Blade was not in the Avengers.

Should have quoted, sorry.

As for titles, how about: This Is A Banned List, Not A Drinking Game.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    That wasn't directed at you, that was directed at Bohondas, who said that Blade was not in the Avengers.

Should have quoted, sorry.

Okay yeah, my vote's for this.

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I actually do not get any of those except maybe the drill one.
    Then they are doing their job, actually. they are supposed to allow me reference these things without explicitly saying them, which is useful for certain reasons.

Spoiler: References for those who don't want to guess
    Show

"Prismatic Caprine Angel"- Asriel Dreamurr (Undertale)
    "Stubborn Inferno Detective"- Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)
    "Onyx Scissor Heroine"- Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
    "Fallen Infinite Blade Hero"- Emiya, the heroic spirit (Fate/Stay Night)
    "Azure Skeleton of Judgement"- Sans (Undertale)
    "Emerald Drills of Hope"-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

* "Hollow Bat of Justice" is even more obvious
    ** "Battle-Happy Orange Monkey" or "Prideful Monkey Prince" just as much
    *** Is "Orb-Tamer of Cuteness" even trying?
    **** "Star Sword Monk" is severely lowballing it.

* May not suggest thread titles like "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: No Ideas From the Internet", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Bring Black Cats", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Think"
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-05-20 at 07:03 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Titan in the Playground

Then they are doing their job, actually. they are supposed to allow me reference these things without explicitly saying them, which is useful for certain reasons.

Spoiler: References for those who don't want to guess
    Show

"Prismatic Caprine Angel"- Asriel Dreamurr (Undertale)
    "Stubborn Inferno Detective"- Harry Dresden (Dresden Files)
    "Onyx Scissor Heroine"- Ryuko Matoi (Kill La Kill)
    "Fallen Infinite Blade Hero"- Emiya, the heroic spirit (Fate/Stay Night)
    "Azure Skeleton of Judgement"- Sans (Undertale)
    "Emerald Drills of Hope"-Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

* "Hollow Bat of Justice" is even more obvious
    ** "Battle-Happy Orange Monkey" or "Prideful Monkey Prince" just as much
    *** Is "Orb-Tamer of Cuteness" even trying?
    **** "Star Sword Monk" is severely lowballing it.

* May not suggest thread titles like "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: No Ideas From the Internet", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Black Cats Not Allowed", "Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: Think"
    Oh you sonuva... still don't get the last one though, for real.

Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Oh you sonuva... still don't get the last one though, for real.
    Well the Exalted method of flowery language to descriptively refer to things may be more effective than I thought because "Star Sword Monk" = Jedi. I legit thought anyone could get that, sorry.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-05-20 at 07:08 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Well the Exalted method of flowery language to descriptively refer to things may be more effective than I thought because "Star Sword Monk" = Jedi. I legit thought anyone could get that, sorry.
    Goddamnit.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Titan in the Playground

Goddamnit.
    * May not torment people with flowery descriptive references to popular media
    ** Especially if its all just so that my character that I'm writing for a book can shout the references like martial arts techniques to get around copyrights
    *** and to minimize the amount of obvious references in the work because its set in a different world and thus wouldn't entirely make sense to have those media be named, and referring to them directly could date the writing.

12. - Top - End - #1482

I can't make super soldiers by exposing a room full of random civilians to both the venom-virus and the spider-flu, locking them in with enough food and water to last a month, and watching what happens.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I can't make super soldiers by exposing a room full of random civilians to both the venom-virus and the spider-flu, locking them in with enough food and water to last a month, and watching what happens.
    "Remember kids: the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!"

14. - Top - End - #1484
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    "Remember kids: the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down!"
    In science you also write down the method to commit the atrocities so that other people can try.
    Like "We brought in our base after neutralisation 50 people we acquired because they were easy to catch and close to the factory we hid in then we injected them with the samples of blood(because it was easy to get from test subjects from previous experiments) from people infected with the two following varieties of viral infections:..."
    And "due to the neutralisation process being bashing the individual until it stops moving the test subjects were suffering from varied wounds and broken bones: if you are trying to reproduce the experiment you should check if they are in such state and if they are not bash them with a club until they are in such a state"
    Last edited by noob; 2021-05-20 at 01:19 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1485
    Titan in the Playground

I once had a GM who hated me paying a scientist, because I actually started experimenting on the zombies when he just wanted us to shoot them in the face. He did everything he could to stop me, including letting me spend points on resources and then insisting it's has to be in useless cash instead of lab equipment. I spent the entire game six points behind everybody else because of that, never got a refund.

Couldn't just say he didn't want me building a scientist, and I'm not sure how he expected me to make use of my demolitions skills without any equipment. Annoyingly he banned my first character, who'd have fit much better, just because I wanted to use the magic rules. So I don't get why he could have bannes magic but not explicitly stated that he did not want a scientist.

We eventually secured far more resources than I'd have begun with and I responded by arming everybody with homemade tasers and explaining exactly how I had the resources to build a railgun. That scares him because he'd only encountered the word in 40k before.

All I'm saying is, know your GM before making a scientist.

(For the record I never managed to use electric shocks to train zombies, but did discover exactly what parts they needed to not be the dead dead.)
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I'm gonna throw my thread name into the hat: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XIII: A group of bards is band.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Bugbear in the Playground

Depends on the rewards. What were they?
    The only one I remember offhand was promising to make my character the leader of his noble house by force. In a lawful evil empire. That... basically just paints a target on my character, particularly since said drama queen vampire is pretty much guaranteed to ignore my PC once said making-leader is done. Patronage with a neglectful patron and a rebellious powerbase is not a happy situation.

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Ogre in the Playground

Second this one.

19. - Top - End - #1489

It doesn't matter how good my intentions were, nothing good can come from mass infecting the Quarians with klyntar symbiotes.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Titan in the Playground

* Gathering an asari and quarian lesbian harem is not allowed
    ** Mostly because that just results in more asari. They're long lived and attractive to everyone already! you want them to be a dominant species?
    *** May not respond with "They can dominate my species any time if you know what I mean." while waggling my eyebrows.

21. - Top - End - #1491

* Gathering an asari and quarian lesbian harem is not allowed
    **May not question how tha'ts supposed to work, since Quarians have really crpappy immune systems.

Like, seriously, Quarian physical intimacy in most cases is "link their suits up so that their personal environments match up" and this is considered to be a major sign of trust because it's very dangerous.

If Shep romance Tali and they consummate their relationship, then despite taking every possible precaution and Tali pre-dosing with anti-biotic and immune-boosting supplements she still gets a bad infection from the ambient microbes she gets exposed to in the process.

Unless the 'harem' is completely platonic, I'm just seeing that ending with a lot of sick quarians.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Titan in the Playground

Unless the 'harem' is completely platonic, I'm just seeing that ending with a lot of sick quarians.
    It wouldn't be platonic. Thats why its not allowed Rater! not everyone is as boringly thorough, sensible and focused on safety as you! I'm already too cautious in real life, gaming and roleplaying allows me to take risks and have some excitement for a change, so whenever people insist on treating their games as if it was so much like real life that the characters don't take some risks that make things fun, it kind of saddens and confuses me. problems like that are what allows drama like "she loves me but she'll get infected if we get too close" or "we need to find a way to boost Quarian immune systems no matter what" which fuels characters actually going to do things and be driven to succeed! otherwise the only dramatic personal plot you can do is one character getting kidnapped so the other rescues them.

* Cannot depict a character who has achieved Chim as a cartoon character who cannot be stopped or defeated, but exists only to do wacky or comedically sociopathic things and be a chaotic hooligan without really changing anything
    ** Even if that is what most players become when they achieve such power in Elder Scrolls
    *** the idea that Vivec went through a "funny skyrim youtuber" phase where he just keeps restarting his life to do random challenges or skits in his time for the lulz is funny though and would explain a lot of the Dunmer's stories about him though.

23. - Top - End - #1493
    Ogre in the Playground

**May not question how tha'ts supposed to work, since Quarians have really crpappy immune systems.
    I dunno, I think this disproves your early statement re: Quarians and Klyntar symbiotes.

24. - Top - End - #1494

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    I dunno, I think this disproves your early statement re: Quarians and Klyntar symbiotes.
    Klyntar symbiote renders the host immune to almost all infectious diseases.

In other words, infecting th Quarians with Klyntar would mean that the Quarians would no longer need their environmental suits.

Klyntar symbiote can also adapt to their environments and process breathable gasses for the host to the point of being able to keep a human alive in orbit without oxygen for several months, meaning that they wouldn't even need environmental suits in hostile environments, as long as the environment wasn't too hot or too loud... Though ideally, they're going to want at least some oxygen in the atmosphere.

A healthy symbiote also doesn't need to eat and can nourish its host, meaning that unless their symbiote has a deficiency the host doesn't need to eat. If they do eat, the symbiote can store excess nutrients more efficiently than the host's natural digestive system and consume any organic and some inorganic matter that the host can't process, meaning that they might not produce waste.

I don't know if klyntar hosts need to drink, but...

Basically, it would solve all of their problems. They wouldn't nessesarily be able to take back their homeworld, but they'd be able to find a planet somewhere that nobody else is interested in and start a colony.

In addition, the reasons the Quarians as a species have week immune systems is because they evolved to live in symbiosis with a variety of microbes and co-opt microbes that infect them... But it doesn't work with viruses and bacteria not native to their home planet. Theoretically, this should mean that a symbiotic lifeform like a klyntar would have an easy time adapting to a quarian's body.

The problem is that mass infecting people with Klyntar never ends well.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Ogre in the Playground

If they do eat, the symbiote can store excess nutrients more efficiently than the host's natural digestive system and consume any organic and some inorganic matter that the host can't process, meaning that they might not produce waste.
    Last I heard they do produce waste; that was the ‘drool’ Venom makes. Of course that was leftovers from eating bullets, normal food items might be easier...

Basically, it would solve all of their problems. They wouldn't nessesarily be able to take back their homeworld, but they'd be able to find a planet somewhere that nobody else is interested in and start a colony.
    Yes, that is the idea.

The problem is that mass infecting people with Klyntar never ends well.
    From whose perspective?

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Titan in the Playground

* I cannot try to apply real physics to comic stuff.

* If I'm running a cosmic horror game I should inform the players before it starts.
    ** Suggesting that maybe combat characters won't do so well does not count.
    *** Cannot have the eldritch horrors have significantly more hp than the rules say they should, just to avoid the old 'hockey stadium full of explosives' trick.

* Cannot enforce ammunition tracking and realistic loadouts.
    ** Mainly because of how many weapons my combat characters tend to carry.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * I cannot try to apply real physics to comic stuff.
    ** May not apply real physics to anything inspired by Bugs Bunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Newtkeeper View Post
    Dude, we're geeks. Overanalysis is our job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tingel View Post
    You are funny, ideasmith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadskye View Post
    I really like the way the Awareness school came about. I created a Detection subschool, which you reinterpreted into a conceptually distinct Awareness subschool. Then I misinterpreted what you meant and created yet another conceptually (slightly) distinct Awareness subschool. Teamwork!
    My Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by ideasmith View Post
    ** May not apply real physics to anything inspired by Bugs Bunny.
    ***May not apply anything inspired by bugs bunny to real life.

29. - Top - End - #1499
    Titan in the Playground

* My Star Wars character cannot be "What if a Hot-blood Kamina like character was born a jedi?"
    ** Or any other anime archetype that draws a lot of power from emotion
    *** Combining the psychic equivalents of matter and antimatter will not end well

* May not apply real bunny to bug physics.
    ** May not apply physics bunny to real bug
    ***.....Wait.

30. - Top - End - #1500

Since we're on the last post of the last page, I'm gonna make the next thread.

Counting votes... With two votes, it looks like my suggestion one unless there's some post hiding from me.

Will link when posted.

Everyone Bail Out of The thread
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-23 at 04:21 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks