New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Socksy View Post
    * Yes, Khorne is the god of Blood. No, that does not also make him the god of Genealogy.
    That would be Slaanesh, I think. Maybe Tzeentch, depending on your intended use of genealogy.

Quote Originally Posted by jintoya View Post
    * high yield homemade explosives are not a melee weapon
    Ha! Just watch me!

I've had multiple parties involve characters using large amounts of demolition charges in close quarters. Sometimes, they even survive.

Once one of my Deathwatch Space Marines counted on failing his demolitions check by 4 degrees, so it would go off in his hands, and was using a carefully selected amount of charges so that he would probably live but all the guys around him probably wouldn't.

More recently, a Dark Heresy character set of 30 kilograms of explosives he was carrying in an attempt to explode a Lord Discordant who was in melee with him.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

2. - Top - End - #392
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

I'm just going to as this one preemptively before today's session

* You may not hide behind utilitarianism to explain cannibalism
    ** You cannot use preform (music) to soften the blow about cannibalism and make it a laughing matter

* You are no longer allowed to be scarier than the DM when buying vague minerals under the explanation "it's just for plan B, no worries"
    ** "Plan B" may no longer be thermite.

I suspect these would be here tonight anyways, so I'm just adding them now.

3. - Top - End - #393

DrowGuy

this one goes for my team.

*no more making the beloved 5-campaign veteran dmpc cry ever again.

Spoiler: dreaded context
    Show
    seriously, even the new players were heartbroken, and they don't know the moral attachment the rest of the group has to the guy. he's canonically loved for being the nicest guy in the universe, and they turned him into a weeping wreck after he destroyed 2 rat-ogres single-handedly in close quarters. so far, we've been 4 different dm's to use the guy as our stand-in for upholding morality. everybody loves him.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Barbarian in the Playground

* Jumping off the roof and landing on a foe does require an attack role
    ** You do not get to use the rules on falling debris, even if you are a warforged
    *** you cannot conspire with the spellcasters to abuse enlarge person for special "meteor strike" moves
    ****This may not be my character concept.
    Last edited by Personification; 2019-05-20 at 07:00 AM.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

5. - Top - End - #395

*Just because our warlock deftly deceived the mermaid queen as to who slew her daughters and we all successfully beat her charm song doesn't mean I should expect her to be impressed when offering to compensate for their loss and bargain for the captive sailors with the two-headed worm in a box.
    **Especially considering that it has never been well-received by anyone else any other time we tried to smooth things over.
    ***"Do you seriously still have that thing?"
    ****It is not "well-trained."
    *****Her callously dumping it into the water was an act of disgust, not evidence of arousal.
    ******There is no reason to cheer, "go wormy!" after she fails all of her targeted spell attempts in the ensuing battle.
    *******Flooding the chamber Is a lair action, not a result of self-gratification.
    ********You should not interpret her murderous rage as "needing help with that."

6. - Top - End - #396

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    *Just because our warlock deftly deceived the mermaid queen as to who slew her daughters and we all successfully beat her charm song doesn't mean I should expect her to be impressed when offering to compensate for their loss and bargain for the captive sailors with the two-headed worm in a box.
    Anything on the trinket table goes into the locked spot in your inventory where you can't use it, remove it, or sell it until the specific point at which it becomes necessary to the plot.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.

7. - Top - End - #397

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Anything on the trinket table goes into the locked spot in your inventory where you can't use it, remove it, or sell it until the specific point at which it becomes necessary to the plot.
    Please show me any plot where the two headed worm in a box became necessary. I am genuinely curious how this thing could possibly be used non-comedically. We first acquired it in a random barter to find a gift to hopefully appease our sorceress. Didn't work. I then offered it to a jilted former lover. Rejected again. So it's been clanking around in my backpack for weeks. I keep feeding it and checking on it kinda like a pet, but more like...keeping bait looking lively. I thought for sure the mermaids would go for it, but now it may be gone for good. I just hope you're not telling me that at some session down the road the party will find a dire need for a two headed worm, and I'll end up kicking myself that I didn't immediately dive under her to save it.

On second thought, I actually hope that happens.

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Imbalance View Post
    Please show me any plot where the two headed worm in a box became necessary. I am genuinely curious how this thing could possibly be used non-comedically. We first acquired it in a random barter to find a gift to hopefully appease our sorceress. Didn't work. I then offered it to a jilted former lover. Rejected again. So it's been clanking around in my backpack for weeks. I keep feeding it and checking on it kinda like a pet, but more like...keeping bait looking lively. I thought for sure the mermaids would go for it, but now it may be gone for good. I just hope you're not telling me that at some session down the road the party will find a dire need for a two headed worm, and I'll end up kicking myself that I didn't immediately dive under her to save it.

On second thought, I actually hope that happens.
    It's more that that is the point of the trinket table. If you get a trinket, it is supposed to add flavor or mystery to your backstory, so either the DM will think of some way to make it story relevant, or have no idea how to react to the weird thing and have NPCs refuse it. Honestly, I was just making a joke. If your DM doesn't have anything specific in mind for the worm, but you have an NPC that would actually accept it, the tactic might work.

9. - Top - End - #399

It's more that that is the point of the trinket table. If you get a trinket, it is supposed to add flavor or mystery to your backstory, so either the DM will think of some way to make it story relevant, or have no idea how to react to the weird thing and have NPCs refuse it. Honestly, I was just making a joke. If your DM doesn't have anything specific in mind for the worm, but you have an NPC that would actually accept it, the tactic might work.
    Gotcha. I think it got traction at first just because it was for an interaction within the party, but then it started to become a running RP joke. I was hoping you had some legit examples about how a campaign hinged on what is arguably the oddest item on the list.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

* I am not allowed one roll on the Trinkets table per legal identity.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plan C in effect.
    I think soon:

*I am not allowed to evict the local Lord
    ** Making a whole kingdom into a forest with an army of birds and magic is prohibited

We'll see how he handles it... He might be a dragon... Not sure

* May no longer steal the top floors of the Pagoda
    (Trying to figure out how to do that)
    Last edited by jintoya; 2019-05-21 at 10:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #402

* May no longer steal the top floors of the Pagoda
    (Trying to figure out how to do that)
    Don't you mean pseudogazebo?

13. - Top - End - #403

When the party is enslaved by goblins, I may not ask to be made chief slave in exchange for cooperation
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

14. - Top - End - #404

SamuraiGuy

*While people expect the Beguiler to not be the moral compass of the group, this expectation does not apply to Exalted Beguilers with Nymph's Kiss, Vow of Non-violence, and other [Exalted] feats.
    **Half the group should not have the title of "Saint" from their templates
    ***If the Paladin is derided for not being good enough, we need new characters.
    ****The group is not allowed the Book of Exalted Good.

*As a DM, 4d fights are not allowed.
    ** You may not increase the number of dimensions to get around this.
    ***Non-euclidean battles are banned.

*Not allowed to read about cryptography before playing.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

15. - Top - End - #405
    Dwarf in the Playground

Don't you mean pseudogazebo?
    Took the entire thing, now it's my cloud house.

*I am no longer allowed to use grow plants to turn a capital city into a forest
    (I doubt I'll be allowed to have that as a spell like ability again)

*Using alchemy to enhance my cooking skill and make food so good that people would kill a man for it is no longer allowed

*Diplomacy (to do anything but negotiate a cease-fire) is no longer allowed during combat

*Applying sovereign glue is considered hostile actions for the purposes of invisibility.... But only for me (I was filling people's nostrils with it and putting it on lips of sleeping bandits)

Edit of convenience so I'm not continually posting:

* Stealing a whole town (my next project) and replacing the people there with greater fetches is not okay.
    Last edited by jintoya; 2019-05-31 at 01:21 PM.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Colossus in the Playground

*In a superheroes game, my powers can't be a magical, weightless, inscrutable futon that I can summon from a pocket dimension and use as a personal barricade.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

* Despite what some syncretisms may have you believe, Daana'd is not Luna worship in disguise
    ** Daana'd was not a guise of Luna leading the Dragon-Blooded to force the Lunars to adapt and become stronger
    *** Daana'd never was Luna in disguise, and not all pictures of Daana'd are worshiping Luna
    **** I am not to paint and post up picture of Daana'd in the middle of transforming back into Luna winking at the viewer of said picture for all immaculate worshipers to see, that is heresy.
    ***** Nor am I to depict Daana'd and Luna kissing one another and posting that up in public either, thats also immaculate heresy
    ****** Daana'd is not the Gaia soul that loves and sleeps with Luna the most
    ******* There is no wide-reaching secret cult of Daana'd backed by Lunars to slowly induct people into Luna worship and turn them into rebels against the Dragon-Blooded. that would be just one too many layers of the irony they're already drowning in.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #408
    Dwarf in the Playground

*I may no longer create colossal "battle bunnies" and send them to the god of the hunt as an offering in the hopes to irritate him
    **I may not act surprised when he retaliates

*Asking people to "check this out" when "this" is a gru, is considered hostility.

*No matter your diplomacy check, throwing pies at royalty will get you ejected from a kingdom

*The DM should never have to say "an alignment shift so big that it measures on the Richter scale" to convince me I'm wrong

*A massacre can not be justified by "it's Tuesday"
    **Especially on Thursday

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

* I am allowed to play Clerics. I may not name them Reverend Senob Yoccm.
    ** There is never a legitimate reason to shout 'I'm a miracle worker, not a doctor!'
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

Coming soon to a game near here:
    * The seriously ****** up cocaine wizard will no longer be allowed to be the most sane and rational NPC at the auction of very very very illegal things.

** Full auto grenade launchers in enclosed spaces.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    ** Full auto grenade launchers in enclosed spaces.
    ***The same goes for burst-fire grenade launchers
    ****And semi-auto grenade-launchers that the rules say you can manually burst-fire
    *****Bringing any sort of high-explosive-based combat strategy to a moon-base is asking for trouble.
    ******Even if you remembered to bring an armored space-suit.
    *******Because the rest of the party didn't think to bring those, that's why!
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

22. - Top - End - #412

Quote Originally Posted by Randuir View Post
    ***The same goes for burst-fire grenade launchers
    ****And semi-auto grenade-launchers that the rules say you can manually burst-fire
    *****Bringing any sort of high-explosive-based combat strategy to a moon-base is asking for trouble.
    ******Even if you remembered to bring an armored space-suit.
    *******Because the rest of the party didn't think to bring those, that's why!
    I see no problem with any of these :)
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

23. - Top - End - #413

* May not use a withdraw action to run screaming the whole length of a dungeon
    **Three Stooges' "nyangnyangnyangwooobwooopwoopwoopwoop" is not an acceptable alternative

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    * May not use a withdraw action to run screaming the whole length of a dungeon
    **Three Stooges' "nyangnyangnyangwooobwooopwoopwoopwoop" is not an acceptable alternative
    which system?
    *team fire is not the correct name for an adventurer team.
    **if everyone wears 100 candles, a dozen of alchemist fires and also matches ,flint and iron and are dragging around mules carrying firewood then something is "wrong".
    Last edited by noob; 2019-06-21 at 04:00 AM.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    which system?
    *team fire is not the correct name for an adventurer team.
    **Neither is 'Scorched Earth'.
    ***Even if that's an accurate representation of our MO
    ****Especially if that's an accurate representation of our MO
    Last edited by DeTess; 2019-06-21 at 05:21 AM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

26. - Top - End - #416

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    which system?
    Pathfinder

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    Pathfinder
    you must have staked a lot of speed boosts to withdraw through a whole dungeon in one action.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-06-21 at 05:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Pixie in the Playground

* When in a mountain lined with veins of explosive ore, I may not fire my pistol, even if the target is an ooze and I think the bullet will "just stick there".

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

* My wizard cannot proclaim "magic is just a nonsense word used by the superstitious. Nothing is magic."
    ** My wizards goal cannot be to redefine all of spellcasting in clearer terms so that ignorant people stop using the phrase "its magic, I don't have to explain it."
    *** my incantation for fireball cannot be "cause combustion and from the resulting thermal reaction to form a spherical shape then launch itself into people designated my enemies through a currently unidentified force manipulated by vocal and visual hand signals that can't possibly be magic because it exists and therefore has to fit in and make sense with the rest of the universe so that reality does not fall apart."
    **** when people say "magic" I cannot constantly correct them with "its not magic its Unidentified Verbally-Visually Manipulated Force or UVVM Force for short."
    ***** nor can I says "its not a spell, its a specific reaction that occurs in response to specific combination of sound and visual medium based stimuli for yet unidentified reasons."
    ****** May not play a wizard that doesn't believe anything is magic.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #420
    Pixie in the Playground

Zombie

*I am no longer allowed to use an alchemy jug to create a gallon of chlorine trifluoride.