New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    It is a spell that pretends to do nothing when you first cast it. It sits on the target, waiting until an hour after he has gone to sleep. Then he bursts into flame, taking up to 8d6 fire damage and setting him on fire.
    Does... does the spell allow you to wake up after catching fire?

The Gm did not appreciate it for the big bad's cameo.
    Oh, man. That is just... wow. Yeah, you can never let your BBEGs interact with the PCs before the big fight...

* I may no longer allow the PCs to have any direct interaction with the BBEG before the final confrontation, lest they hit him/her/it with Curse of the Burning Sleep.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Wow, and I thought Explosive Runes was bad enough.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Does... does the spell allow you to wake up after catching fire?
    It explicitly wakes you up. But you do wake up on fire, hurt, and likely confused. The Gm made this big show of security being heightened at the noble's house when we tracked him back later. It is unlikely to kill at the level you get it unless your enemy is already wounded, but it is a great way to make sure someone doesn't really escape your wrath.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It explicitly wakes you up. But you do wake up on fire, hurt, and likely confused. The Gm made this big show of security being heightened at the noble's house when we tracked him back later. It is unlikely to kill at the level you get it unless your enemy is already wounded, but it is a great way to make sure someone doesn't really escape your wrath.
    To make it even more fun, make a contingency which teleports the party to the BBEG when the spell goes off.
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    To make it even more fun, make a contingency which teleports the party to the BBEG when the spell goes off.
    Have contingency which casts a spell which in turn scans for and thanks to a bit of tinkering triggers magic of a certain type. Rig it to search for and trigger Contingency. Run. Watch as the GM's plan for having the Leaders of the Unholy Magi survive their first encounter with the players gets screwed over.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

6. - Top - End - #456

SamuraiGuy

Have contingency which casts a spell which in turn scans for and thanks to a bit of tinkering triggers magic of a certain type. Rig it to search for and trigger Contingency. Run. Watch as the GM's plan for having the Leaders of the Unholy Magi survive their first encounter with the players gets screwed over.
    That's brilliant!!
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    That's brilliant!!
    I don't get it. What's the Contingency supposed to trigger?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*My character-tree cannot consist entirely of bastard half-siblings who all descend from the same bard and who therefore all inherited his terrible fashion sense and obnoxious French accent.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Apparently, referring to Rouboute Guilliman as “Rowboat Gila-monster” is HERESY.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    *Apparently, referring to Rouboute Guilliman as “Rowboat Gila-monster” is HERESY.
    *Calling him Rowboat Girly-man will get you an "Imperial Fisting" from Marius Calgar.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

11. - Top - End - #461
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    *Calling him Rowboat Girly-man will get you an "Imperial Fisting" from Marius Calgar.
    ** Cannot complain that that's a different Chapter.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Titan in the Playground

* may not weaponize Capsules so I can fire the following things: chlorine trifluoride, various deadly gasses, partial storage capsules, singularities, miniature stars, anti-matter, poison, pikabots, or anything else of similar danger
    ** even if using these things a normal gunner can get even with a DBZ ki user using this kind of ammo
    *** "Capsule Gunner" will never be a viable DBZ fighter concept.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    ** Cannot complain that that's a different Chapter.
    *** Must stop making If the Emperor had a Text-to-Speech Divice references if not 100% sure if the current audience has seen it.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

**If he tries to "give you advice", say no unless you want an "I CAST FIST" to the face, especially if said face is less durable than an Eldar Wraith Titan.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    **If he tries to "give you advice", say no unless you want an "I CAST FIST" to the face, especially if said face is less durable than an Eldar Wraith Titan.
    ***And for the love of the God Emperor, do not mention the Ultramarines record of accomplishments unless you want to see Papa Smurf's head explode from confusion.
    ****Actually, do that... Please do that as quickly as you can.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Titan in the Playground

***And for the love of the God Emperor, do not mention the Ultramarines record of accomplishments unless you want to see Papa Smurf's head explode from confusion.
    ***** But really whatever you do, DO NOT mention Cato Sicarious
    ****** Or start talking like him. That will end you.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

*****It's the Man-Emperor of Mankind, nowadays.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

****** May not demand gender equality and have a Woman-Empress of Womenkind rule along side him.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2019-08-22 at 09:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

****** May not demand gender equality and have a Woman-Empress of Womenkind rule along side him.
    ******* Or age equality and have an Child-Emperor/ess of Childhood

* I am no longer allowed to cast fireball while inside a ship.
    ** Not even if it's not our ship and is responsible for taking out 7/9 of the enemies.
    *** Even if the exploded enemies had just betrayed and ambushed us.

* I am no longer allowed to trust supposedly friendly NPCs I find using my character's background features.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

******* Or suggest combine both into a Person-Emperor of Mankind.
    ******** The Emperor is not LGBTQ+.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

21. - Top - End - #471
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

* if i am to call shots to the nether regions on an opponent, i'd better make sure said opponent has the nether regions in question beforehand.
    ** i cannot castrate a galleon.
    *** i most definitely cannot litterally kick its rear-end so far into next week it lands on thursday afternoon.
    **** i can, surprisingly, with the correct feats and class combination, do it to a humanoid though.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    ** i cannot castrate a galleon.
    *** i most definitely cannot litterally kick its rear-end so far into next week it lands on thursday afternoon.
    I'm fairly certain that there's a Sidereal Martial Art that'll allow you

* I am not allowed to touch Exalted.
    ** No, not even then.
    *** Considering how immoral and shifty my characters act when mortal, any systemt that allows me to play a theif-sorcerer-demigod is prohibited.

Show

23. - Top - End - #473

*may not send spam Messages telling random people to send on the Message within 5 days or die
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*It’s apparently bad form for a villain to give a virulent zombie plague with a long incubation period (and that the villain’s organization is inoculated against) to a kidnapped hostage the heroes are going to rescue.
    **Can’t file the serial numbers off streaming-service tv series plots.

*Not allowed to point out that Umbrella could have avoided everything that went wrong if it wasn’t apparently company policy to shoot their own scientists due to corporate chronic backstabbing disorder.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2019-08-22 at 09:27 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

For my adult siblings' sake, I'm not allowed to introduce D&D to their kids. At least not any more.

Spoiler
    Show

It's become...infectious. One 9 (?) year-old is going full world-building and running games of his own (no published adventures, just the books), making his own maps and terrain, painting minis, the whole bit. I think he's going to be pretty good at it. Another 11 year old has gone on a character building spree--working on his 7th character including using UA material and other books. I feel proud for being the catalyst to a new generation.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

26. - Top - End - #476

*I'm no longer allowed to have my dwarf use Stonecunning by licking the walls.

27. - Top - End - #477

I'd insist on that, it's actually a thing

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-geologists-lick-rocks
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post

As someone with a geologist degree, I'll second this. I've had tests where the only way to tell samples apart was by taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Orc in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyShadow View Post
    *I'm no longer allowed to have my dwarf use Stonecunning by licking the walls.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wookieetank View Post
    As someone with a geologist degree, I'll second this. I've had tests where the only way to tell samples apart was by taste.
    ** I'm no longer allowed to bring realistic real-world reasons for extremely silly in-game actions.

From my last session:
    * No longer allowed to be a sensible person and hide in a corner when one PC's jailbreak attempt turns out comically bad, especially when we didn't need to be broken out of jail.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ettin in the Playground

I may no longer inflict npcs named Chundarr the Boobarian on the party without forewarning.

Chundarr may no longer grab a pc, jump 4 meters straight up, and bring them down so hard that the pc's leg flies off.

Chundarr may no longer use the parties zombie minions as clubs to break ribs and cause pcs to start internall hemmoraging.

I may no longer come within one luchador stunt of a total party kill with joke npcs.

Coming soon to an ork karaoke bar near you: Chundarr may no longer turn out to have survived face melting fireballs and a nuclear meltdown in order to force/trick/seduce the pcs to become his/her love interest(s).
    Last edited by Telok; 2019-09-05 at 10:38 AM.