New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    Depending on the system and edition, housecats can do enough damage to one-round kill a first-level wizard or a commoner. The kid isn’t all that likely to survive, much less level up!
    It's worse if it's a feral or wild cat. House cats did 1d2 bite, 1 pt. claws, possible 1d2 rake. Wild did 1d2 bite and two claws, plus two rakes of 1d2.

I had a character once whose backstory included being orphaned by kittens.

Even in 3.5 where they only do 1 damage total they're still a cr appropriate threat to single 1d4 hit die first levels.
    Last edited by Telok; 2019-12-18 at 11:13 AM.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    It's worse if it's a feral or wild cat. House cats did 1d2 bite, 1 pt. claws, possible 1d2 rake. Wild did 1d2 bite and two claws, plus two rakes of 1d2.

I had a character once whose backstory included being orphaned by kittens.

Even in 3.5 where they only do 1 damage total they're still a cr appropriate threat to single 1d4 hit die first levels.
    Enough cats and you can probably take out 1st-level Warblades or even Barbarians, I bet!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Colossus in the Playground

*If my power is an auto-rez due to eldritch ancestry, I can either get the obvious reference out of the way early or I can forfeit all right to so much as mention parkas.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *If my power is an auto-rez due to eldritch ancestry, I can either get the obvious reference out of the way early or I can forfeit all right to so much as mention parkas.
    I don’t get it. Which reference is this?

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #545

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I don’t get it. Which reference is this?
    In the first couple of seasons of South Park, they had a Running Gag where the character Kenny McCormick would die violently, sometimes in a freak accident, sometimes in a manner tied into the plot, only to be alive again with no comment the next episode, in almost every episode. After the show toyed with killing him of permanently(a slow death from disease) and having him missing for a whole season(excepting shenanigans with his ghost towards the end,) they more or less retired the gag and now he only dies when it'd be plot-relevant or erve as the punchline for a particularly effective joke.

A few seasons later, they introduce a child vigilante named Mysterion, who later resurfaces, when the kids are all playing superheroes in a three-part episode, one of the names of which is the Cthulhu Trilogy, due to Cthulhu in all his glory playing a part. Mysterion is revealed to be Kenny in these episodes, which also reveals a few facts.

1: Kenny being alive again in later episodes isn't negative continuity, he canonically dies and comes back all the time as a form of immortality, but most people forget that he died.

2: Kenny's parents kept showing up to "cult" meetings because they gave out free booze, then got wasted, resulting in Ms. McCormick being selected to bare the "Spawn of Cthulhu" making Kenny Cthulhu's half-human son

3: Kenny's immortality, as well as several other eldritch powers he possesses but doesn't use much, are the result of his status as the Spawn of Cthulhu

Kenny is also known for his thick orange parka, which covers his mouth and muffles his speech.

So, for a character who automatically resurrects after death because of eldritch ancestry, Kenny is the obvious reference to make.

You either get it out of the way early on, or you give up all rigts to have your character wear a parka.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

Heh. Wasn’t he the bad guy in the first South Park game too? Or at least the final boss...

Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May gnot brigng back ogne of my 2e Planescape characters who actually survived for 5e’s Descegnt Ignto Avergnus module.
    **Gno gnomes!

*Despite RL circumstances, cannot have “swarm of cats” as an animal companion.

*If the campaign requires characters to have a dark secret in their background—a conspiracy, a theft, a murder plot, or coup attempt—my character’s dark secret may not be “Theft: a sensory stone from the Sensate guildhall that records a really awkward moment from my character’s time in high school.”
    **Especially if my character has never been a Sensate.
    ***Especially if my character has never been to Sigil.
    ****Especially if my character never went to high school.

*Cannot claim that sustenance tasting like ash in Avernus doesn’t bother my character since on the Prime Material he subsists largely on cigarettes, bad coffee from a greasy-spoon diner, said diner’s terrible attempts at cooking potatoes and bacon, and Scotch that tastes like kerosene anyway, so he hasn’t noticed it.

*In GURPS, may not buy 300 1-pt skills.
    **May not sink all 300 points into guns instead.
    ***My character in a gritty cyberpunk campaign may not be a bunch of housecats in a trenchcoat.
    ****Must attempt to build a reasonable character.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2019-12-24 at 05:13 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

*i cannot bypass a speech check solely because of my exposé on the merits of cooking with garlic.
    **i cannot distract the dm to the point of shenanigans by doing an exposé on the merits of cooking with garlic.
    ***especially if only my character has actual knowledge of garlic and how to grow it.

*i cannot disrupt a serious conversation with potatoes.
    **no, this character can't have a cousin named josé.
    ***potatoes are food, this time around. not projectiles.
    ****it is frowned upon to start food fights when in the presence of, like, ALL the tribal leaders.

*no matter how i phrase it, or how much garlic and potatoes i use, the dwarf character will take insanity points if i try to feed him human toes.

*my next character can't be named either "garlic" or "potato".
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Despite what my cats have done to my nondenominational winter holiday tree in real life, a housecat cannot one-round a Treant.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

10. - Top - End - #550
    Titan in the Playground

*Despite what my cats have done to my nondenominational winter holiday tree in real life, a housecat cannot one-round a Treant.
    Awwwww, I just wanna pet it.

* May not release housecats into the wizards school to separate the strong from the weak.

* If I have the ability to shift to housecat form I am expected to use another form at some point.
    ** Shifting to cat form does not give a bonus when interrogating commoners.
    *** It also doesn't give me a bonus to distraction attempts.
    **** It doesn't matter how many points I have in diplomacy, I can't make people worship me by meowing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*My bard cannot take musical instrument proficiency in The Floppotron.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2019-12-26 at 11:56 AM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

*My bard cannot take musical instrument proficiency in The Floppotron.
    ** No, not even if we're playing Shadowrun!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #553
    Barbarian in the Playground

Of course not, by your implication in an earlier post, it would require a swarm of cats to mirror your RL experience and 1-round the treant.
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Of course not, by your implication in an earlier post, it would require a swarm of cats to mirror your RL experience and 1-round the treant.
    To also slightly be a party pooper, Treants can, y’know... move.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    ** No, not even if we're playing Shadowrun!
    *May not Rickroll the Johnson instead of turning over the requested data.
    **It’s still my fault if the Johnson doesn’t check it before they leave.
    ***I am obligated to speak up and inform them it’s a prank rather than a double-cross.
    ****May not subsequently send a bill for “life lessons.”
    *****If I do the above knowing full well that the Johnson is an executive with a megacorp I may not complain when my character is summarily shot the next time we meet.
    Last edited by JAL_1138; 2019-12-29 at 12:26 PM.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

16. - Top - End - #556

Devil

"Okay, so let's see. I get six attacks against you..."

"Okay...."

"And so with our respective modifiers... I need fives to hit... lemme just grab those dice..."

"Fives to hit?"

"Yeah."

"May the fours be wi-"

* No longer allowed to mix puns and Star Wars.
    I'm not an evil GM! Honest!

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

* Even if the system allows me to have multiple animal companions, I cannot have a pride of lions following me everywhere.
    ** Or any other social group of animals.
    *** Especially humans.
    **** May no longer make the head of the unit my animal companion.

* Yes, the rules don't technically specify what animals I have as animal companions. This does not mean my selections can be 'tortoise, rabbit, chicken, and tiny tiger'.

* There are more uses for animal companion features than aquiring as many cats as possible.
    ** My cats are not worth more than my fellow party members.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

18. - Top - End - #558

* May not in a game of Delta Green claim that Yithians are behind everything from Coffee Shops and Fluoridated Water to Terrorism.
    ** May not claim that Francis E. Decs wasn't conventionally insane and was in fact being harassed by Yithians.
    *** In Delta Green.
    **** In Other Games.
    ***** In Real Life.
    Last edited by Anti-Eagle; 2019-12-30 at 11:29 PM.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Ettin in the Playground

* There are more uses for animal companion features than aquiring as many cats as possible.
    ** My cats are not worth more than my fellow party members.
    *** Please nerf human companions: they have the brilliant idea to become your slaves.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*The tabaxi does not need to wear the cone of shame after the cleric heals them.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

*The tabaxi does not need to wear the cone of shame after the cleric heals them.
    **The tabaxi does not need to wear the cone of shame before the cleric heals them, either.
    *** Unless they've actually done something shameful.
    **** Getting wounded in combat is not generally considered 'shameful'.
    ***** Abandoning the party in the middle of combat to chase a red dot does merit the wearing of the Cone of Shame.

* Despite their existence in miniature, I may not put a bayonet on the end of my chainsword.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-01-14 at 10:01 AM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

22. - Top - End - #562

* Even if the system allows me to have multiple animal companions, I cannot have a pride of lions following me everywhere.
    ** Or any other social group of animals.
    *** My dire wolf animal companion is not allowed to take the Leadership feat.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

* I may no longer giggle while trying to get the PCs to snort warpstone like cocaine.

** I am no longer allowed to call the Cocaine Wizards Guild a "rational, civic minded, group of business folks".

*** Mind flayers are no longer to be referred to as "warm hearted, tentacley, cuddle buddies".

24. - Top - End - #564
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

* May not brutally murder elves by stabbing them in the jugular with a fountain pen.

No, I did not do this personally.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Orc in the Playground

ClericGuy

From my last game (a simpler romp):

May no longer determine if the newly acquired basilisk-hag minion still can petrify people with a gaze by staring deeply into her eyes.

May no longer let the party create their own plan for capturing a spy in town, have them come up with three different plans from around the table, not discuss in character or out of character what to do (while they had full opportunity to), then attempt 3 different kidnappings at once while incurring property damages in the thousands of gold and one player character death along with the spy. There must be at least 2 player character deaths next time.

The Sled of Far Traveling was for conveniently getting from place to place quickly. May no longer use it to bypass half the encounters (or in busy marketplaces).

From a friends game:

May no longer have the character with 20 intelligence and 18 wisdom, upon joining the church of a god of reasonable undeath that requires the removal of an organ to join, attempt to remove his own brain with a gutting knife.

May no longer have the same character start out the heist session by telling the leader of the temple we were robbing about the heist, while in full regalia of a rival god that was laying low about how much they hated the target.

May no longer have the same character, upon being caught with the book that explains where/how to get the object of the heist, tell his captors that he has the book and just found it on the side of the road.

May no longer, once the same character came back to a town in high alert due to an "attack by a rival god" in a golem body he made as a backup clone, as the dragon ruler of the temple was screaming the name of the rival while circling the city in rage, start his first conversation in a bar full of frightened peasants with "So I just met rival god and he's not very happy with me now that I messed up his relationship with Bahamut."

May no longer start a planar war over something that was supposed to just get dug out of the latrine and be done with.

(Not my character, luckily)

26. - Top - End - #566

On behalf of my players:
    *When setting the timer on the 100kt suitcase bomb, the timer must not be set for less than the time it takes to escape the lethal radius.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*Despite precedent, my Cleric does not have to consult the Book of Armaments to identify an item.

*Despite real-world precedent, groups of cats do not automatically prevent the PCs from taking a Long Rest.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

28. - Top - End - #568
    Barbarian in the Playground

* Despite precedent, a game of D&D is not a common law court and is not bound to follow precedent
    * An in-game court is not to be construed to follow English common law unless the setting is a post medieval common law country.
    * Yes, Australia is a modern common law nation, and an expectation of common law from the regular human courts is reasonable. A court run by literal kangaroos, however, shall be construed as being completely uncommon and unreasonable.
    * "Construe" is not the Australian term for using the bathroom.
    * Or the toilet or the lou or the dun

29. - Top - End - #569

I may not describe a character as reading Also Sprach Zarathustra while listening to Also Sprach Zarathustra in the hopes of triggering a Who's on first style comedy bit.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    * Applying chemical knowledge to RP your alchemist is great flavor
    ** Bridging a few gaps in knowledge and processability with semi-magical hubbub is viable
    *** You are NOT creating nonmagical alchemical weapons stronger than the ones in the PHB for a fraction of the price, rivalling Fireballs in damage!
    **** You cannot mope if the engineer at the table can suddenly build functional gliding planes who are propelled by bound air elementals.
    ***** This is how magepunk happens. You ruined a perfectly good medieval setting. Are you happy?
    ****** NUCLEAR REACTORS MADE OUT OF FORCE WALLS?! ARE YOU INSANE?!?!?
    I love it when chemists and engineers "ruin" my games.