New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

*when a player tells me he's an ex-con, must not immediately tell him it's for a record-breaking amount of traffic violations.
    **said player can't also be the only one with the skills to drive land and air vehicles.

*must not create a backup pc that is a judge dredd expy just because i know players will get maimed.
    **doubly so if it's to make a double "i am the law" quip.
    ***while the arbites and the inquisition are both the authorities, that doesn't make it so an arbites inquisitorial goon is double the law.

*no, rolling two critical fails in a row during a discussion doesn't mean the npc's barf instead of speak.
    **even worse when it's two different npc's.

*toasters don't give seductive looks to tech-priests.

*tech-priests don't get aroused seeing purity seals on the electrical cabinet.

*the slogan "welcome to the arbites, here's your scowl and shotgun", while accurate, doesn't exist.

*bureaucrats are not sleep deprived suicidal wrecks by default.

*obese businessmen are not always sleazy macho pigs.
    **even if they're a blatant rip-off of dominic strauss-kahn. that'd be insulting to sleazy macho pigs.

*while technically there's always a happy hour going somewhere on the planet, the pc has just missed it.

*while there's a precedent for it, shovels are not the be all, end all solution to problems.

*no, a shovel is not part of regimental dress uniforms.

*must not make a mind-reader ask for brain bleach again.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

2. - Top - End - #602

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    So... spelljammer but worse then?
    That would be an accomplishment. Is it at least sci-fi?

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    *when a player tells me he's an ex-con, must not immediately tell him it's for a record-breaking amount of traffic violations.
    **said player can't also be the only one with the skills to drive land and air vehicles.

*must not create a backup pc that is a judge dredd expy just because i know players will get maimed.
    **doubly so if it's to make a double "i am the law" quip.
    ***while the arbites and the inquisition are both the authorities, that doesn't make it so an arbites inquisitorial goon is double the law.

*no, rolling two critical fails in a row during a discussion doesn't mean the npc's barf instead of speak.
    **even worse when it's two different npc's.

*toasters don't give seductive looks to tech-priests.

*tech-priests don't get aroused seeing purity seals on the electrical cabinet.

*the slogan "welcome to the arbites, here's your scowl and shotgun", while accurate, doesn't exist.

*bureaucrats are not sleep deprived suicidal wrecks by default.

*obese businessmen are not always sleazy macho pigs.
    **even if they're a blatant rip-off of dominic strauss-kahn. that'd be insulting to sleazy macho pigs.

*while technically there's always a happy hour going somewhere on the planet, the pc has just missed it.

*while there's a precedent for it, shovels are not the be all, end all solution to problems.

*no, a shovel is not part of regimental dress uniforms.

*must not make a mind-reader ask for brain bleach again.
    Shovels are absolutely part of your regimental dress uniform. Not being in possession of every one of your issued pieces of kit maintained to the standard when you received it is indicative of laxity and lack of commitment, and grounds for summary execution!

From my own 40k games:

*A Keeper of Secrets is not the "vore daemon".
    **Yes, daemons do eat people. This should not be demonstrated during campaign.
    ***The Keeper of Secrets should definitely not eat a player character [even if the player wanted to make a new character anyway].
    ****And especially should not burp afterwords and pat their stomach.
    *****One instance of vore in a campaign is one instance too many. Seriously, twice?
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2020-03-09 at 10:10 PM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

3. - Top - End - #603
    Colossus in the Playground

*To reiterate: If the open and unrepentant cannibal is one of the good guys, there's a problem.
    ** If your backstory, goals, and powers are the same as a Conan the Barbarian villain, he can't be a superhero.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #604
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordCdrMilitant View Post
    Ever had someone offer you a baked potato then drop a glob of runny, doesn't-smell-quite-right, "how long has that been sitting out?" sour cream on top of it?

Starfinder is sort of like that. It's a kind of Pathfinder in space with a veneer of techno babble, a Red Queen's Race character advancement, and someone tacked on a "space dog fight" game written by someone whose only exposure to space anything was a 1980s Buck Rogers B-movie.

Related:
    * At some point people will stop letting me squeeze more sillyness out of 'serious' games than you can get from a mash-up of Toon, Paranoia, and Rifts.
    ** The glow in the dark, 3d printed plaque on my gaming box that says "Balance is my b*" is in bad taste.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Hmm, does Spelljammer have any 3.5e updates, now that I think of it?
    There was an article or two in dragon and you can extract some of the bits that were sprinkled around in 1st party sources but, no, I don't think it was ever given a proper, first party update. Just some third party stuff.

Spelljammer? More of a fantasy sci-fi blend. It doesn't really do the whole techno-babble "we're in space" thing but it's about as close as anything ever got in official D&D stuff, outside of using the d20 modern/future system.

Starfinder? I guess? I'm only just barely aware of it so I can't tell anyone much about it.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

6. - Top - End - #606
    Colossus in the Playground

In my first ever D&D game, a planer jaunt to rescue some party members who came down on the wrong side of a Deck of many things ended with us being flown from a lower plane to our home reality through the Astral plane in a spider-shaped ship crewed by drow pirates and the ship was powered by a one of those control rods that let you control a sphere of annihilation, which we had to provide by making a deal with a Black Dragon who were were told was actually a God and not a dragon but who insisted that he was just a dragon despite his ability to intercept and twist a Wish spell (My wish of "I wish I could emulate a dragon's breath weapon with my Warshaper abilities so I can fight off these trolls who are kicking out asses and wrecking the hub town" became "break whatever enchantment is keeping this particular dragon from accessing the material plane and summon him here so he can kill the trolls for us") and I'm to this day pretty damn sure was actually Falazure in disguise.

During the journey, we stopped at a colony built into a giant stone head that was just floating in the Astral plane, we fought a bunch of eal-bug-turtle things, and our final arrival at home resulted in us being dropped off in a scene that was described to us as being akin to a space ship coming out of the sky.

I was told that this was typical spelljammer.

Anyway, Tax: If I'm going t artificially graft other people's unique genetic abilities to myself, I need to settle on how before the game starts.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #607

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    There was an article or two in dragon and you can extract some of the bits that were sprinkled around in 1st party sources but, no, I don't think it was ever given a proper, first party update. Just some third party stuff.

Spelljammer? More of a fantasy sci-fi blend. It doesn't really do the whole techno-babble "we're in space" thing but it's about as close as anything ever got in official D&D stuff, outside of using the d20 modern/future system.

Starfinder? I guess? I'm only just barely aware of it so I can't tell anyone much about it.
    I know what spelljammer is. I dislike it intensely and it's crystal sphere and phlogiston and stuff.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2020-03-10 at 02:35 AM.
    Guardsmen, hear me! Cadia may lie in ruin, but her proud people do not! For each brother and sister who gave their lives to Him as martyrs, we will reap a vengeance fiftyfold! Cadia may be no more, but will never be forgotten; our foes shall tremble in fear at the name, for their doom shall come from the barrels of Cadian guns, fired by Cadian hands! Forward, for vengeance and retribution, in His name and the names of our fallen comrades!

8. - Top - End - #608
    Titan in the Playground

I know what spelljammer is. I dislike it intensely and it's crystal sphere and phlogiston and stuff.
    Care to elaborate on that? I've met people who like it because it's not the same old traditional D&D fantasy setting like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Care to elaborate on that? I've met people who like it because it's not the same old traditional D&D fantasy setting like Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms.
    Some people seem to be really "offended" by the Spelljammer version of Space. It's really not Science Fiction, and it explicitly doesn't try to be. About the only thing it gets right is the scale of interplanetary (but not interstellar) distances. Orbital Mechanics? No, things orbit just because. If they orbit, that is. They may be carried on the backs of ginormous elephants standing on the shell of an even larger turtle. Or they may be suspended from branches of an immense tree. Newton's laws of motion? Yeah, they apply fairly well on the small (human) scale, but not on the large scale - sort of like how in real life we need Relativity to properly explain things on larger scales.

Personally, I rather like like it. Krynn, for example, couldn't exist anywhere in our universe. The constellations that re-arrange themselves are made up of stars that would have to move many times faster than the speed of light if they were at 'standard' interstellar distances from the Krynn system. Having the stars be lights on the surface of the crystal sphere that encloses Krynn and its solar system easily eliminates that issue.

And since you can have different rules in different crystal spheres, you can accommodate the uniqueness of each setting without requiring them to affect other settings. Heck, you could even have a crystal sphere 200 billion light-years across that encloses the visible universe and operates according to the laws of General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics. Or one about the same size that has an alternate dimension where daemons live and that psykers can access to manifest 'magical' powers, and even use to move ships quickly to the other side of the galaxy, and where one race of fungus men can make things go faster by painting them red.

But it's definitely not for everyone.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2020-03-11 at 09:17 AM. Reason: typo
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #610
    Dwarf in the Playground

* If I can't stop giggling long enough to explain what I'm doing, it is not allowed.

11. - Top - End - #611
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

*I am not allowed to use divine smite and eldritch smite on the same attack.
    **Nor may I use thunderous smite on top of that 'just for fun'
    ***Adding booming blade to the combo is also not allowed, even if it adds a nice full sound

12. - Top - End - #612

I play space games to have greebled polyhedrons and laser guns and power suits and tanks and VTOL gunships and stuff that is cool, not some idea of beyond-antiquated medieval era crystal spheres and fire-is-the-phlogiston-leaving-the-object and squid monsters.

It's anathema to me because I feel like it implicitly says "you like the future and space and worlds of technology and the artifice of man, but wouldn't it be more awesome if it wasn't space and the future and worlds of technology and the artifice of man."
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2020-03-10 at 05:20 PM.

13. - Top - End - #613
    Titan in the Playground

I play space games to have greebled polyhedrons and laser guns and power suits and tanks and VTOL gunships and stuff that is cool, not some idea of beyond-antiquated medieval era crystal spheres and fire-is-the-phlogiston-leaving-the-object and squid monsters.

It's anathema to me because I feel like it implicitly says "you like the future and space and worlds of technology and the artifice of man, but wouldn't it be more awesome if it wasn't space and the future and worlds of technology and the artifice of man."
    Honestly, this is why I get disappointed when space games essentially rehash what you see in Star Wars or Star Trek again, instead of either going back and taking stuff from the classic era of science fiction (atomic rockets!) or more modern ideas, and why 'spaceships have a speed right' really annoys me.

Heck, I'll take removal of some elements I find cool in exchange for more focus on other elements, bit I want to play around with stuff from the science fiction stories in reading.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #614
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Robert's Dragon View Post
    *I am not allowed to use divine smite and eldritch smite on the same attack.
    **Nor may I use thunderous smite on top of that 'just for fun'
    ***Adding booming blade to the combo is also not allowed, even if it adds a nice full sound
    I'm like 99% sure that you actually can't stack all of those, because at least a few of them use your reaction (or whatever the 5e counterpart for 3.5e swift actions was)?

Re: space - To be fair, Spelljammer isn't really sci-fi, it's more like D&D in space with a smidgen of sci-fi thrown in for flavor. I would imagine the main pull of that setting is having the same basic gameplay framework while feeling sufficiently divergent from the standard fantasy setting.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Titan in the Playground

* May not make a steampunk or alchemy punk setting in space, apparently
    ** May not ponder alternate universes where phlogiston turned out to be real
    *** or the luminiferous Aether
    **** seeing how an alternate outdated theory would not work to better understand the systems that do apparently isn't cool

* may not make a setting where people actually discovered the philosopher's stone and started making rulers immortal during the 16th century.
    ** May not make Napoleon become a sorcerer and rule half the world as emperor in this setting

* My Dark heresy character cannot be an Arbitrator who is a good person and genuinely wants to reform the system to more effectively enact justice
    ** The fact that this makes them a radical member of the inquisition by default speaks volumes of what a good person in 40k actually is
    *** Nor can my characters all assume that the Emperor is just a symbolic figure for the collective good the Imperium that doesn't actually exist but everyone uses as shorthand and just never tells anyone this heretical view unless asked
    **** May not figure out ways to make decent people in WH40k.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #616

DrowGuy

Shovels are absolutely part of your regimental dress uniform. Not being in possession of every one of your issued pieces of kit maintained to the standard when you received it is indicative of laxity and lack of commitment, and grounds for summary execution!
    i meant dress uniform as in all the bling and medals, not the battle uniform, in which case you are right. my group's medic tried to wear his number one dress uniform with a laspistol holstered and on the other side of the belt his trusty 970 instead of a ceremonial dagger. as a dm, i had to politely tell him that's not how dress uniforms work.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”

when in doubt,

17. - Top - End - #617

SolithKnightGuy

I'm like 99% sure that you actually can't stack all of those, because at least a few of them use your reaction (or whatever the 5e counterpart for 3.5e swift actions was)?
    You absolutely can stack them. Thunderimg smite is s bonus action spell cast before the attack, Booming Blade is the action, and Divine and Eldritch Smite can be used any time you hit with a melee attack made with your pact weapon. It's quite easy to use them all.

Bonus points if you get an ally to use the Grave Cleric 'Path to the Grave' ability to give them vulnerability to that mass of d8s you're about to roll.

*I may be longer use the above combo paired with the Diviner wizards nat 20 Portent to guarantee a one shot kill on any creature in the monster manual.
    Last edited by Galithar; 2020-03-10 at 10:23 PM.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    You absolutely can stack them. Thunderimg smite is s bonus action spell cast before the attack, Booming Blade is the action, and Divine and Eldritch Smite can be used any time you hit with a melee attack made with your pact weapon. It's quite easy to use them all.

Bonus points if you get an ally to use the Grave Cleric 'Path to the Grave' ability to give them vulnerability to that mass of d8s you're about to roll.

*I may be longer use the above combo paired with the Diviner wizards nat 20 Portent to guarantee a one shot kill on any creature in the monster manual.
    Oh, sweet. That does burn... all your spell slots, I think? Still, Hexblades do have other things besides spells to use.

Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #619

SolithKnightGuy

Oh, sweet. That does burn... all your spell slots, I think? Still, Hexblades do have other things besides spells to use.
    Probably, but with some high level multiclassing you can have more slots. It's definitely not fully optimized to do. This isn't exactly the right thread for Warlock/Paladin/Sorcerer theory crafting though haha

20. - Top - End - #620
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Galithar View Post
    Probably, but with some high level multiclassing you can have more slots. It's definitely not fully optimized to do. This isn't exactly the right thread for Warlock/Paladin/Sorcerer theory crafting though haha
    Hexblades are pretty good at "THIS GUY MUST DIE NOW" either way, to be honest.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Troll in the Playground

i meant dress uniform as in all the bling and medals, not the battle uniform, in which case you are right. my group's medic tried to wear his number one dress uniform with a laspistol holstered and on the other side of the belt his trusty 970 instead of a ceremonial dagger. as a dm, i had to politely tell him that's not how dress uniforms work.
    I mean, it's 40k, right? There must be at least a dozen regiments where the shovel is part if their dress uniform for some odd reason.
    Last edited by DeTess; 2020-03-11 at 01:04 PM.
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I mean, it's 40k, right? There must be at least a dozen refiments where the shovel is part if their dress unifirm for some odd reason.
    "If the penal battalions get to carry explosives as part of their uniform, why can't I carry my laz cannon?"
    - Every PC ever

23. - Top - End - #623

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    "If the penal battalions get to carry explosives as part of their uniform, why can't I carry my laz cannon?"
    - Every PC ever
    "if all you got is a shotgun, everything starts to look dead". wish i could remember who posted this quote here (maybe digodragon?), but it's apt.

*may not tell the players i have a good surprise for them, followed by manic cackling.
    **doubly so if it's a very clear benefit to the team.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

24. - Top - End - #624
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    - Every PC ever
    Eh, I have occasionally seen PCs leave their biggest guns at home. That group also found standard combat the least interesting part of a campaign, as we discovered when three of us brought utility characters to a combat-focused game.

But that group was also very, very good at rules. We were never underarmed, we just realised that while rifles tended to kill an opponent in one shot pistols also tended to drop enemies in one shot (without dealing enough damage to reliably kill), and were considered far more acceptable by the local police. Plus a lot of effort went into being able to wear armour without causing problems, one character was a member of the nobility just to afford magically enhanced clothing, while I picked my priest's religion based on 'tends to act as and present as warriors' to justify replacing the cermonial breastplate with a real one...

And then we got an excuse to pull out the big guns. That ended the combat in a couple of rounds.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

25. - Top - End - #625

Eh, I have occasionally seen PCs leave their biggest guns at home. That group also found standard combat the least interesting part of a campaign, as we discovered when three of us brought utility characters to a combat-focused game.

But that group was also very, very good at rules. We were never underarmed, we just realised that while rifles tended to kill an opponent in one shot pistols also tended to drop enemies in one shot (without dealing enough damage to reliably kill), and were considered far more acceptable by the local police. Plus a lot of effort went into being able to wear armour without causing problems, one character was a member of the nobility just to afford magically enhanced clothing, while I picked my priest's religion based on 'tends to act as and present as warriors' to justify replacing the cermonial breastplate with a real one...

And then we got an excuse to pull out the big guns. That ended the combat in a couple of rounds.
    Your players are clearly insane.

My players find every excuse to deploy explosives, armored vehicles, and heavy weapons. There's no kill like overkill!

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    I mean, it's 40k, right? There must be at least a dozen regiments where the shovel is part if their dress uniform for some odd reason.
    Also, I think even having a separate dress uniform and battle uniform is probably unlikely for most regiments. It's worth mention that having a separate dress uniform isn't/wasn't necessarily universal, the British for example had a single uniform for the early 20th century, and IIRC the Germans only had special dress outfits for officers.

26. - Top - End - #626

DrowGuy

My players find every excuse to deploy explosives, armored vehicles, and heavy weapons. There's no kill like overkill!

Also, I think even having a separate dress uniform and battle uniform is probably unlikely for most regiments. It's worth mention that having a separate dress uniform isn't/wasn't necessarily universal, the British for example had a single uniform for the early 20th century, and IIRC the Germans only had special dress outfits for officers.
    for the first, my team's techpriest asked if he could power a lascannon via add-ons. i told him "not without upgrades" just to send him on a snipe hunt. based on that, i gather he'll figure out how to do it by session 7. for carrying it, that's what dumb muscle is for.

for the second, on the one hand you've got the american marines whose dress uniform in no way matches their battle gear, on the other, you've got the mordians whose battle gear look just like marines in dress uniform. so we're probably both equally right and wrong.

*as a dm, must not get players to go on a snipe hunt just to buy time.
    Show
    I'm going to judge you.

when in doubt,

27. - Top - End - #627

for the first, my team's techpriest asked if he could power a lascannon via add-ons. i told him "not without upgrades" just to send him on a snipe hunt. based on that, i gather he'll figure out how to do it by session 7. for carrying it, that's what dumb muscle is for.

for the second, on the one hand you've got the american marines whose dress uniform in no way matches their battle gear, on the other, you've got the mordians whose battle gear look just like marines in dress uniform. so we're probably both equally right and wrong.

*as a dm, must not get players to go on a snipe hunt just to buy time.
    My players just cart the Lascannon battery pack around along with the Lascannon. It's not a large object to carry around if they can carry around a Lascannon as is. Or just hook up the Backpack Ammunition Supply to your power armor and carry it around that way. All things considered, given how large the power pack is for the lascannon, you could probably strap it to your backpack for an improvised backpack ammunition supply.

Anyway, the point is, having a dress uniform and a field uniform isn't actually a given for real militaries. I generally imagine the IG being like that. It might be impolite to bring your shovel into a formal dinner, but it probably wouldn't be improper to have it in it's place when lined up in the parade square for inspection.
    Last edited by LordCdrMilitant; 2020-03-11 at 09:39 PM.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Dwarf in the Playground

* Our space marines cannot attend a formal dinner in full power armor
    ** No, sticking your medals onto the power armor does not make it OK
    *** Seriously, how are you going to handle the utensils with power armor gloves?
    **** May not requistion Servo Skulls to handle your utensils for you

29. - Top - End - #629
    Titan in the Playground

My players find every excuse to deploy explosives, armored vehicles, and heavy weapons. There's no kill like overkill.
    To be fair, our GM was very good about making us face the consequences of overkill (I once had a M&M character with 'causes collateral damage' as a Complication and played it to the hilt, the GM responded by occasionally denying me access to Wealth because of the lawsuits). I've played in other groups where Fireball was considered the only way to get out of a social situation.

On that note...
    * Ray guns should have more than one power setting.
    ** 'Stun rays' should not be leveling buildings.
    * I can land the airship without igniting the fuel cells.
    * I am to check if the planet's atmosphere can support the airship before teleporting it there.
    ** I am no longer allowed to combine Inventor and Quickness to jury rig teleporters in less than a standard combat round.
    *** If I'm going to keep building teleporters the GM would really like it if I'd interest PP in one.
    **** I cannot instead invest in more Quickness in order to not only build the device, but patent it, market it, and build a factory to mass produce it in less than a combat round.
    ***** I just cannot take Quickness at all.
    * It is considered bad form to summon the giant robot against bank robbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tohron View Post
    * Our space marines cannot attend a formal dinner in full power armor
    ** No, sticking your medals onto the power armor does not make it OK
    *** Seriously, how are you going to handle the utensils with power armor gloves?
    **** May not requistion Servo Skulls to handle your utensils for you
    Actually no, Space Marines are more than capable of handling cutlery while in full power armour. It's part of the Black Carapace.

* I may not put forward the idea that there are biologically female Space Marines, they just all identify as and present as male.

Show

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

* I may no longer scream "Ceiling walrus disapproves!" and shoot lasers at people while hanging off the roof out of melee range. From now on all enemies can fly, climb, or reach the ceiling.