New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    If we ever get to thread 13, I vote we name it "Roguish Elven Gunslinger".
    Seconding this.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

*In a Marvel Supervillains game, my time-manipulator can't steal the Super Soldier Serum from a parallel timeline and give it to the super genius to cheaply mass produce it.
    **We have to do something with it other than give it to our minions.
    ***We can't advertise it to prospective minions as "free health care."
    ****We can't pay better wages and give more benefits than most legitimate businesses.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Titan in the Playground

* Bagpipes require proficiency to actually deal damage with them.
    ** I am to admit that intentionally playing an instrument awfully requires skill.

* My response to discovering cybernetics, grafts, or any other kind of augmentation cannot be 'resistance is useless'.
    ** I am to stop mounting handlebars on my head.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ogre in the Playground

* When playing a Pokemon tabletop game where the DM wants to do cool stuff with type-switched delta pokemon and new eeveelutions, maybe don't play a trainer who specializes in the Normal type.

5. - Top - End - #905
    Bugbear in the Playground

* Upon capturing a vampire "alive", we may not exsanguinate a lab mouse and drip the vampire's blood into its stomach
    ** May not refer to the resulting vampire rodent as "Mousecula"
    *** May not poke Mousecula with all known holy symbols to determine the true religion
    **** If it turns out to be "the one the person poking believes in", may not meditate on the inherent holiness of all things and poke him with a random stick
    ***** Even if my character sincerely believes in that

6. - Top - End - #906
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    * Upon capturing a vampire "alive", we may not exsanguinate a lab mouse and drip the vampire's blood into its stomach
    *** May not poke Mousecula with all known holy symbols to determine the true religion
    **** If it turns out to be "the one the person poking believes in", may not meditate on the inherent holiness of all things and poke him with a random stick
    ****** I must acknowledge the distinction between "vampiric" and "empiric".
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

7. - Top - End - #907
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

I run a game where this is exactly how it works.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

8. - Top - End - #908
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

*I am not allowed to utter the sentence: "I down my drink, and a wolf pops into existence."

*If my high-level fighter ends up with the treasures meant for the other members of the party, there's an issue with the party.

*No oneshot-ing a god.
    **"It was an accident." does NOT make it better.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    I run a game where this is exactly how it works.
    While I've not run games that work like that, I've played in one where only certain religions had their holy symbols repel evil, but which ones did depended on what religion and sect you were. There was also absolute morality probably behind everything, as sinning too much stopped it from working.

A lot of this was because the setting was based on the real world and intended to see print some day, so beyond absolute requirements for the concept the game tried to avoid making any statements.

* We may no longer make household appliances saints.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    While I've not run games that work like that, I've played in one where only certain religions had their holy symbols repel evil, but which ones did depended on what religion and sect you were. There was also absolute morality probably behind everything, as sinning too much stopped it from working.

A lot of this was because the setting was based on the real world and intended to see print some day, so beyond absolute requirements for the concept the game tried to avoid making any statements.

* We may no longer make household appliances saints.
    Well that sounds like a load of whale scrotums.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Well that sounds like a load of whale scrotums.
    Eh, it worked, partially due to the setting clearly stating it's assumptions (helped by it not reflecting the author's worldview), in the same way that In Nomine isn't problematic. I can't go into specifics, but basically it's extrapolation from a certain premise with some intentional ambiguity. If the group is willing for the buy-in it works, especially as by the end of character creation you'll know what works for your character, but it won't be fine in every group.

Show

12. - Top - End - #912

EvilClericGuy

Eh, it worked, partially due to the setting clearly stating it's assumptions (helped by it not reflecting the author's worldview), in the same way that In Nomine isn't problematic. I can't go into specifics, but basically it's extrapolation from a certain premise with some intentional ambiguity. If the group is willing for the buy-in it works, especially as by the end of character creation you'll know what works for your character, but it won't be fine in every group.
    So, Session 0, Know-Your-Table, and acknowledge this game isn't for everyone. Fair enough. (As an aside: I *like* In Nomine, but I'll never get a chance to play it.)

You know what? Let me know if this setting ever gets published. I'm curious, now.

13. - Top - End - #913
    Troll in the Playground

Another alternative is that which holy symbols repel/hurt/killmurderate undead depends on their own lingering memories/feelings of guilt from when they were alive. A vampire is repelled by the golden sun of the morning lord because part of them still thinks of the morning lord as the ultimate force of good and the bane of all vampires.

****** I may not sent mousecula running using real 40+ Gouda.
    Last edited by Lvl 2 Expert; 2020-10-03 at 02:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thorr-kan View Post
    So, Session 0, Know-Your-Table, and acknowledge this game isn't for everyone. Fair enough. (As an aside: I *like* In Nomine, but I'll never get a chance to play it.)

You know what? Let me know if this setting ever gets published. I'm curious, now.
    I like In Nomine as well, but am in the same boat.

But yeah, player buy-in is basically the most important thing as to how problematic something is. I've made that mistake with Unknown Armies stuff and now let players blacklist topics.

Show

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

* Giant robot chainsaw nipples.
    ** Inexplicable, inescapable, invulnerable, immortal donkeys.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Another alternative is that which holy symbols repel/hurt/killmurderate undead depends on their own lingering memories/feelings of guilt from when they were alive. A vampire is repelled by the golden sun of the morning lord because part of them still thinks of the morning lord as the ultimate force of good and the bane of all vampires.

****** I may not sent mousecula running using real 40+ Gouda.
    I recall that’s how it kinda works for Shadowhunters. One of the characters got turned into a vampire so when holding him in a prison they used the Jewish symbol for him. Not sure how it’d work for atheist vamps in that series tho.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

* No matter ymy roll I cannot land the TARDIS on specific people.
    ** Even if they did bully me in the past.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2020-10-06 at 05:41 AM.

18. - Top - End - #918
    Firbolg in the Playground

* No matter ymy roll I cannot land the TARDIS on specific people.
    ** Even if they did bully me in the past.
    *** Nor if they bully me in the future.
    **** Creating paradoxes on purpose is right out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

19. - Top - End - #919

*There are a limited number of situations were singing songs from the Star Wars Kinect sound track can save the day.
    **Must stop singing We No Speak Huttese at every opportunity.
    ***May not point out the irony of the song itself being in Huttese.
    ****Even if I can guess, I can no longer sing songs in languages that I don't speak.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    *** Nor if they bully me in the future.
    **** Creating paradoxes on purpose is right out.
    ***** I am not to murder anybody's grandfather.
    ****** Or become them.

Show

21. - Top - End - #921
    Titan in the Playground

* May not say to another member of the party that they're acting like a "21st century pop-culture critic" in response to them pointing out scientific problems with my powers
    ** Even if I am in a game set in the future where the 21st century is long gone
    *** and live in an era where science has done things that the 21st century considers impossible
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

22. - Top - End - #922

*In a Naruto based game, cannot introduce an all female team from the Village Hidden in The Sound as "The Girls of Rock and Roll."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

*I may not get irrationally angry at an ancient underground civilization of cat people not having metal
    **No, no matter how impossible it seems to build and maintain an undergound civilisation with you know, tunnels, without metal tools
    ***I may not have my minstrel character write an entire ballad about why a society without metal is bad
    ****I may not threaten bloody murder when NPCs bring it up. Especially when my character is supposed to be mild mannered and nice

24. - Top - End - #924

DwarfFighterGuy

*I may not use the 300lb artifact of destruction, whose touch is death as a "rock on a rope" even if my Ogre is strong enough to swing said rope.
    Claspedchurches: This is a mudstone dwarven fortress. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with bauxite, studded with ice, decorated with gold, and adorned with hanging rings of magma. This fortress menaces with spikes of steel, iron, bronze, and silver. On the fortress is an image of an image of cheese in pitchblende.

On the fortress is an image of a megaweapon in gold, silver, jet, obsidian and adamantine. The goblins are burning.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by iyaerP View Post
    *I may not use the 300lb artifact of destruction, whose touch is death as a "rock on a rope" even if my Ogre is strong enough to swing said rope.
    **May not call this impromptu instant death flail "the rubber chicken."
    ***It's not even cockatrice related, and it doesn't turn people to stone.
    ****My character's greatest fear may not be "The Gnome With a Wand of Death."
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlueHamsterBean View Post
    **May not call this impromptu instant death flail "the rubber chicken."
    ***It's not even cockatrice related, and it doesn't turn people to stone.
    ****My character's greatest fear may not be "The Gnome With a Wand of Death."
    Uh... Nethack?

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #927
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Uh... Nethack?
    Correct! I heard about it from Matt Colville streams of all things. I played it for a bit, but found I had to be in the right mindset for it. Prepare to die... a lot.
    Many thanks to Meto30 for sketching this amazing piece of art, and for allowing me to use it as my avatar!

28. - Top - End - #928

*I cannot play a Kender who knows exactly how annoying their instincts are to most other races and studies sorcery in the hopes of being able to transcend beyond the limits of their biology and not anoy the people around them.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

* I may not make a vampire-like superhero to play that has all the same powers, but doesn't need to drink blood
    ** I may not make a good succubus, or a succubus who due to their good deeds managed to reincarnate as a tiefling with powers much like a succubus
    **** May not constantly try to make traditionally evil concepts into heroes

* May not make a pragmatic serious bard who doesn't sing.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #930

I can't make a transhumanist whose sole goal in life is to be able to walk around naked without violating public decency laws.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks