New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

* My High Elf Bard may not refer to herself as "A Conductor, unlike those foolish comedy acts going around playing lutes, singing ribald ballads and sleeping with everything with a pulse."
    ** Neither may she refer to Wood elves as "country folk who have forsaken the modern magical amenities to go live in trees as if they are squirrels or something."
    *** Drow are not "cave-dwelling backstabbers whose society resembles a BDSM dungeon with bad diurnal eyesight".
    **** Sea elves did not come about because some elves decided to go diving in the ocean one day and messed up the water-breathing spell and thus got stuck like that.
    ***** Shadar-kai is not elvish for "The Raven Queen's Official Fan Club"
    ****** May not proclaim Eladrin to be the only other elves worth my time while having fancy parties with them
    ******* May not proceed to be completely open-minded, accepting and non-judgmental about all non-elf races.
    ******** May not feel guilty about a high elf's privileged position in the world and refer to her issues as "Elf World Problems"
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-02-03 at 08:50 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Dwarves do more than dig holes all day.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    May not feel guilty about a high elf's privileged position in the world and refer to her issues as "Elf World Problems"
    I am fairly certain that #elfworldproblems is what your party members say when they mock you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lizardfolk

* My High Elf Bard may not refer to herself as "A Conductor, unlike those foolish comedy acts going around playing lutes, singing ribald ballads and sleeping with everything with a pulse."
    ** Neither may she refer to Wood elves as "country folk who have forsaken the modern magical amenities to go live in trees as if they are squirrels or something."
    *** Drow are not "cave-dwelling backstabbers whose society resembles a BDSM dungeon with bad diurnal eyesight".
    **** Sea elves did not come about because some elves decided to go diving in the ocean one day and messed up the water-breathing spell and thus got stuck like that.
    ***** Shadar-kai is not elvish for "The Raven Queen's Official Fan Club"
    ****** May not proclaim Eladrin to be the only other elves worth my time while having fancy parties with them
    ******* May not proceed to be completely open-minded, accepting and non-judgmental about all non-elf races.
    ******** May not feel guilty about a high elf's privileged position in the world and refer to her issues as "Elf World Problems"
    "Orcs? Some of my best friends are orcs! And anyhow at least they aren't those darn tree hippies!"
    Professional Ancient Relic
    Beware, Monologues
    Ambassador from Gen Z
    NBITP

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdeep Merch View Post
    Use your smite bite to fight the plight right. Fill the site with light and give fright to wights as a knight of the night, teeth white; mission forthright, evil in flight. Despite the blight within, you perform the rite, ignore any contrite slight, fangs alight, soul bright.

That sight is dynamite.

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Titan in the Playground

* Elvish does not have different words for "friend" depending on the length of the friends lifespan with shorter lifespans being more accurately translated as some variation on "pet".
    ** Traditional elvish music may not entirely be sorrowful recounting of their long ago downfall, or sorrowful records of a shorter lived mortal person they knew once and how the elf dealt with their inevitable death afterwards.
    *** Inventing "Ode to Joy" is not an elvish musical revolution capable of getting me exiled from elven lands for breaking tradition.

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Troll in the Playground

I mean militarily speaking, knowing that Gyarados is the result of magikarp evolving, there is no reason NOT to go around grabbing up all the magikarp you can because they are so plentiful and seemingly useless and just putting them through a harsh training regimen to turn as many of them into gyarados trained to fight for the military. The military's starting position when it comes to anyone outside of it is to assume they're useless for combat until they've been put through the boot camp ringer anyways, and as long as you figure out the method that works to make them willingly evolve into a gyarados soldier loyal to your cause, they can just repeatedly catch whatever random magikarp they find as recruitment. so really, any pokemon navy worth its salt has at least one gyarados boot camp somewhere for that kind of thing.
    Depending on how closely this world sticks to the game mechanics, all you need to raise an army of Gyarados is a high level Blissey or Audino who is willing to throw a fight (or has no useful moves), something heavy hitting, a Pokémon center and up to five Experience Shares. (Or one Experience All.)

With the right setup, you might just evolve 5 Magikarp in each fight.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Titan in the Playground

I mean militarily speaking, knowing that Gyarados is the result of magikarp evolving, there is no reason NOT to go around grabbing up all the magikarp you can because they are so plentiful and seemingly useless and just putting them through a harsh training regimen to turn as many of them into gyarados trained to fight for the military. The military's starting position when it comes to anyone outside of it is to assume they're useless for combat until they've been put through the boot camp ringer anyways, and as long as you figure out the method that works to make them willingly evolve into a gyarados soldier loyal to your cause, they can just repeatedly catch whatever random magikarp they find as recruitment. so really, any pokemon navy worth its salt has at least one gyarados boot camp somewhere for that kind of thing.
    Have you learned nothing from the Red Gyarados at Lake of Rage? There will be an enemy commander pokemon champion coming after your operation in no time flat.

8. - Top - End - #1148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    Have you learned nothing from the Red Gyarados at Lake of Rage? There will be an enemy commander pokemon champion coming after your operation in no time flat.
    Spoiler: Pokemon discussion
    Show
    Not what I'm talking about. That is artificial means, which is wholly unethical and wrong in Pokemon verse. However, simply training pokemon the usual way very very hard and being incredibly strict with them isn't considered unethical or wrong in Pokemon at all: see Paul, no one except Ash spoke out against his methods.

The Gyarados Boot Camp would consist of nothing but a bunch of exercises and training regimen designed to push Magikarp to their limit until they reach level 20 and evolve. if you use pokeballs to catch all these magikarp-which isn't hard, they're magikarp- and get special clearance to modify the pokemon storage system so that you can carry and command more than six pokeballs at a time, something a regions military would have the clearance, time, reason and resources to do, they could have a boot camp where they consistently produce gyarados without anyone having a problem with it as they would be using the approved method to catch them (pokeballs) the approved method to train them (pushing them real hard, exercise, battle each other and so on) and have the authority to do all this because they're the military and thus can take actions to make weapons to protect their nations at all cost.

Not that the League and military would be separate entities anyways, since if your going to institute the league as a form of pokemon trainer social control you might as well give them the power to determine who does and doesn't get to be the soldiers who fight for your country so you don't let in some stupid evil jerk who gets their jollies off commanding Electrode to blow up repeatedly to cause destruction for their pleasure. Not that it doesn't stop people who want to do that anyways by going out and catching those themselves, but at least they won't have military backing.

Its not as if pokemon world doesn't have institutions to take advantage of Growlithe to fight crime or use Chansey to heal people. you think those chansey choose to become medics? pfh, they're probably all bred for it, the growlithe all bred to be police dogs, chansey all bred and taught to heal since they were a happiny, get them all domesticated. heck, Gyarados Boot Camp probably optimizes magikarp breeding just like any competitive player. catching pokemon is for trainers, all the people in power probably have their pokemon custom made in advance with ditto breeding, legal or illegal. the only reason that pokemon canon doesn't portray any of that is because its a kids show and so doesn't accurately portray how people would use super-magical animals for their advantage for the sake of its message.

I mean you could argue that all the nations ONCE had Gyarados boot camps for some war that they decided to disarm and such when it ended, but why get rid of a logical way to inject more suffering or obstacles into a story for the protagonists to overcome that makes total sense?

But getting back to the POINT of this thread....

* may not derail a funny thread into a discussion about how a realistic/believable pokemon military would be like
    ** This is my guilt, my crime, my sorrow.

* May not make my female bugbear go to the beach episode in the most revealing swimsuit possible
    ** "She's like a goblin wookie, it won't be revealing much and she will be hot already with all her fur" is not a reason
    *** May not make the obvious star wars reference about sand being course and getting everywhere despite her fur being good reason to complain about that.
    **** the fact that she owns a three-tendriled tentacle whip as weapon does not make her a dominatrix.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-02-03 at 09:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

*Any plan that involves the phrase "hide behind the tarrasque" is automatically vetoed.

*If most of the party are long-lived races, and mine is a short-lived character; it is perfectly acceptable for me to be annoyed when the plan for dealing with the BBEG is 'wait until he dies of old age.'
    **…unless I'm the one who came up with said plan.

*I am to stop asking "And what does that have to do with the price of tea in Kara-Tur?"
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

10. - Top - End - #1150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    *Any plan that involves the phrase "hide behind the tarrasque" is automatically vetoed.
    Of course, you want convert that's difficult to take down.

* The plan causes at least one player to scream it is our.
    ** This goes triple if it's the GM who screams.
    *** A valid plan for defeating the world ending threat should not be 'become a bigger world ending threat and set up shop just behind the BBEG'.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Is this hypothetical or did this actually happen?
    Of course not, it was only 4!

My tiefling rogue and the warlock (best described as a himbo leonine who hasn't quite realised he's a warlock) stayed in a group and ran into a crazy cat lady. Everyone else was basically on a solo adventure until the other rogue and the ranger met up and tracked down the mook we were after.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

12. - Top - End - #1152
    Titan in the Playground

* Cannot make a character revolve around the fact that he is genre-savvy as flip, predicting every minor and major story event.
    ** Being a bard and scratching on the fourth wall trying to get out like a cat that is unsure whether it wants in or out is also forbidden.
    *** Creating an oracle/seer that does the same thing by pretending to look into "the veil between worlds" is similarly forbidden.
    **** That's it, you are barred from playing anything above subhuman intelligence.

13. - Top - End - #1153

I can't sing The Real Slim Shady in character with the lyrics changed to fit the situation that the party finds itself in more than once.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm no longer allowed to use a storm giant swashbuckler/swordsage to sing a lightly modified "I am a pirate king" from Pirates of Penzance at my players.

Edit: "I am a giant king" was just funny tho. Especially after the 100' acrobatic backflip entrance.
    Last edited by Telok; 2021-02-04 at 11:16 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I can't sing The Real Slim Shady in character with the lyrics changed to fit the situation that the party finds itself in more than once.
    *I am still limited to one musical interlude per session.
    **Except if I'm playing a bard I guess.
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I'm no longer allowed to reason

1. The underdark is a very dangerous place and everything there is trying to kill you.
    2. So is Australia.
    3. Drow live in the underdark.
    Therefore, drow, when they speak common, have thick Aussie accents.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

17. - Top - End - #1157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    I'm no longer allowed to reason

1. The underdark is a very dangerous place and everything there is trying to kill you.
    2. So is Australia.
    3. Drow live in the underdark.
    Therefore, drow, when they speak common, have thick Aussie accents.
    Not to burst your bubble, but I think I've already seen a Tumblr post about this.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #1158
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Not to burst your bubble, but I think I've already seen a Tumblr post about this.
    Oh I'm sure. Like the Simpsons, Tumblr has done everything. But I'm not on Tumblr, so it was original to me.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

19. - Top - End - #1159

A wizard trapped in an anti-magic field should not be out damaging the fighter.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Titan in the Playground

A wizard trapped in an anti-magic field should not be out damaging the fighter.
    I'm pretty sure there are ways to do that in 3.5e, though likelier than not those involve not being affected by the AMF in the first place somehow.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Troll in the Playground

I'm pretty sure there are ways to do that in 3.5e, though likelier than not those involve not being affected by the AMF in the first place somehow.
    I think that the fact it's on this list already suggests that it happens.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

22. - Top - End - #1162

*I am not under any circumstances to seduce the queen.
    **Especially in the presence of the king.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    You'd be surprised.

* May not post things that have not actually happened.
    ** No, seriously, i need to put my phone down and pay attention.

*I am not under any circumstances to seduce the queen.
    **Especially in the presence of the king.
    Ah, I think I see the problem here.

*** I should not end the adventure married to both the monarch and royal consort.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #1164
    Ettin in the Playground

The easiest way is the action waste fighter.
    turn 1 "I drop prone and draw my very heavy crossbow"
    turn 2 and 3:"I reload the very heavy crossbow two turns"
    turn 4: "I think about firing but now an opponent is in melee range"
    A fighter can literally deal no damage for as many turns as their convoluted fighting style wants them to.
    While the wizard can possibly do turn 1 "I charge with my wooden non magical club and bash the opponent"
    Turn 2: "full round attack" and so on and outdps the very heavy crossbow fighter(I forgot the real name but it is an exotic weapon that takes like forever to recharge) despite dealing on average 2 damage a turn.
    Last edited by noob; 2021-02-05 at 10:20 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1165
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    I think he meant that it involves using a trick to ignore the AMF, and there;s a couple of these. Probably the most legitimate one is the spell Invoke Magic, which can be cast in antimagic and dead magic areas and allows tou to ignore anti-/dead- magic effects for one round, but there's also cheesier ones, like building a little shelter out of metal and then casting shrink item on it and wearing it as a hat - if an AMF goes into play the tinfoil hat turns back into a tinfoil hut and now the caster is in a different room with a layer of metal between them and the AMF and that hedges the AMF out
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

26. - Top - End - #1166

*I am not permitted to set fire to the moat during the siege.
    **Especially since we're the ones laying siege and it just means we can't get our guys across.
    ***I have to explain how I intend to set the water on fire.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I think he meant that it involves using a trick to ignore the AMF, and there;s a couple of these. Probably the most legitimate one is the spell Invoke Magic, which can be cast in antimagic and dead magic areas and allows tou to ignore anti-/dead- magic effects for one round, but there's also cheesier ones, like building a little shelter out of metal and then casting shrink item on it and wearing it as a hat - if an AMF goes into play the tinfoil hat turns back into a tinfoil hut and now the caster is in a different room with a layer of metal between them and the AMF and that hedges the AMF out
    There's also Extraordinary Spell Aim, which allows you to exclude one creature from the effects. That's probably not quite what the developers intended but I'd say that's more "unexpected" than "rules-lawyering".

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #1168

The solution to all of life's problems is not "drown it in white-hot molten rock."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Titan in the Playground

The solution to all of life's problems is not "drown it in white-hot molten rock."
    *Neither is acid.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #1170

*There are a limited number of situations where reciting Twisted Sister lyrics is appropriate for a medieval bard.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks