New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

* If my plan involves ritualistically sacrificing an elven archmage in geostationary orbit in order to create a second Vortex, I should double check if the setting's technology supports this.
    ** Any plan which relies on OoC knowledge in order to advance science by two centuries is vetoed
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

*I cannot play a dragon for the sole sake of having an in-character reason to cheat the other PCs out of some of their share of gold.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *I cannot play a dragon for the sole sake of having an in-character reason to cheat the other PCs out of some of their share of gold.
    **Same goes for rogues.
    ***Can't be a dragon rogue OR a rogue dragon.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, um... I'm not allowed to be the party treasurer if I'm playing a dwarf. Even though I did pay back all the zero interest loans I secretly gave myself.

* Not allowed to use dwarven accounting to record the party loot & funds.

5. - Top - End - #1235

I can't literally be a parasite feeding on the other PCs.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    Yeah, um... I'm not allowed to be the party treasurer if I'm playing a dwarf. Even though I did pay back all the zero interest loans I secretly gave myself.

* Not allowed to use dwarven accounting to record the party loot & funds.
    dwarven accounting is when you sit in a corner of the fortress in front of a table then suddenly become aware of everything there is in the fortress then the longer you sit in front of the table the more accurate your evaluation of the amounts of each thing is?

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Titan in the Playground

* Ranks in Blacksmithing are not useful when making cheese.
    ** Even for dwarves.

* Even if the rules explicitly say robot characters have no luck I cannot liberally apply Sod's Law.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    dwarven accounting is when you sit in a corner of the fortress in front of a table then suddenly become aware of everything there is in the fortress then the longer you sit in front of the table the more accurate your evaluation of the amounts of each thing is?
    In dwarven accounting the base unit is how much gold you have. It's a relative scale as opposed to an absolute one. It gets more fun at the advanced level where concepts like "not enough" and "i can take his" are actual numbers you can work with.

* May not answer "what's in the loot bag?" with "84 ne, about 50 hp, a dragon, and 5+1 trash". (Lots of "not enough", 12 healing potions, "i want a dragon to loot", and some +1 useless armor bits)
    Last edited by Telok; 2021-02-19 at 08:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1239

*I cannot have a Klyntar Symbiote in any setting that doesn't have Klyntar Symbiotes.
    **Even if I have detailed lists of how and why they'd gain what kind of powers bonded with the unique human variants or other life-forms of various settings.
    ***I can't go on detailed rants about how Force Sensitive symbiotes, ki using symbiotes, chakra using symbiotes, haki using symbiotes, symbiotes wit absorbed quirks, symbiotes with Saiyan DNA, symbiotes with Kryptonian DNA, Tamaranian-symbiotes, Jinchurki-Symbiotes, various Kekei Genkai possessing symbiotes, Aura using Symbiotes, and symbiotes combined with various types of Pokemon would be like.
    ****Symbiotes have no place in Middle Earth.
    *****I can't use symbiote genetic adaption to become the Sage of Six Paths.
    ******Can't use Symbiotes to survive in the Capital Wasteland, the Mojave, or the Commonwealth.
    *******I can't become a Dragonborn by having a piece of symbiote infect The Last Dragonborn and then come harvest it later when it's absorbed their DNA and knowledge and adapted to it all.
    ********Regardless of the setting, I can't use Symbiotes to cheat my way into mastery of magic.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Ogre in the Playground

Not allowed to make a herd of Ryhorn combine, Voltron-style, to make a boss fight for April Fools Day.

*******I can't become a Dragonborn by having a piece of symbiote infect The Last Dragonborn and then come harvest it later when it's absorbed their DNA and knowledge and adapted to it all.
    Naturally not, both you and the symbiote would already have your own souls, so all you’d get out of it is knowledge of whatever Shouts the Dragonborn knew at the time. A Dovah soul isn’t something you can just morph your own into; Varen tried, it ended poorly.

Now, since the Dovahsos is to all appearances inheritable the symbiote’s spawn might end up Dragonborn, since mommy symbiote would now have the bloodline for it. The whole, ‘granting sound-based powers while being weak to sound’ bit would still be an issue, but you were going to run into that anyway.

11. - Top - End - #1241

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    Naturally not, both you and the symbiote would already have your own souls, so all you’d get out of it is knowledge of whatever Shouts the Dragonborn knew at the time. A Dovah soul isn’t something you can just morph your own into; Varen tried, it ended poorly.

Now, since the Dovahsos is to all appearances inheritable the symbiote’s spawn might end up Dragonborn, since mommy symbiote would now have the bloodline for it. The whole, ‘granting sound-based powers while being weak to sound’ bit would still be an issue, but you were going to run into that anyway.
    Symbiotes are known to be able to absorb mystical, spiritual, and cosmic essences and energies. They're basically a piece of a Primordial Elder God's Shadow, and they exist for the sake of killing Gods and stealing their power.

Bonding to a Dragonborn well could allow an individual symbiote to gain the properties of a Dragonborn. The problem isn't that it can't be done, but that it's not permitted to try.

Also, 1: The symbiote's weaknesses to heat and sound is mostly psychosomatic: Those things can kill them and are among the only things that truly can, but the only reason they seem to hurt them more than anything else is that they have a genetic memory of All-Black being hammered into a sword.

It's explicitly stated, for example, that they don't mind loud noises or fires that they themselves made—Scream even has a "sonic knife" that use high-frequency vibrations and the sound waves they generate to enhance its cutting power.

2: With the exception of a summoning, the Thuum isn't really that loud. It's literally just as loud as a shout. Unrelenting Force isn't you shouting loud enough that the sound pushes someone back, it's you shouting "Force" and kinetic force come into existence. Wouldn't be a problem.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Ogre in the Playground

Symbiotes are known to be able to absorb mystical, spiritual, and cosmic essences and energies. They're basically a piece of a Primordial Elder God's Shadow, and they exist for the sake of killing Gods and stealing their power.

Bonding to a Dragonborn well could allow an individual symbiote to gain the properties of a Dragonborn. The problem isn't that it can't be done, but that it's not permitted to try.
    Being unstealable except by their own is kind of the whole shtick of the Dovah soul though, that’s why soul trap doesn’t work on them and being Dragonborn is a big deal in the first place. If it could have been done the snake vampires would have hunted down a clutch of the cute little goo monsters and babysat them for a few centuries, it would have been much simpler!

Also, 1: The symbiote's weaknesses to heat and sound is mostly psychosomatic: Those things can kill them and are among the only things that truly can, but the only reason they seem to hurt them more than anything else is that they have a genetic memory of All-Black being hammered into a sword.

It's explicitly stated, for example, that they don't mind loud noises or fires that they themselves made—Scream even has a "sonic knife" that use high-frequency vibrations and the sound waves they generate to enhance its cutting power.
    Explicitly stated where, because the only time I recall Scream using a sonic knife was when her first host killed her siblings’ first hosts, I’ve been trying to track down that sort of thing.

The pain being all in their heads doesn’t help if it still hurts.

2: With the exception of a summoning, the Thuum isn't really that loud. It's literally just as loud as a shout. Unrelenting Force isn't you shouting loud enough that the sound pushes someone back, it's you shouting "Force" and kinetic force come into existence. Wouldn't be a problem.
    Recall that you will also be on the receiving end, because the Dovah also Shout.

13. - Top - End - #1243

Being unstealable except by their own is kind of the whole shtick of the Dovah soul though, that’s why soul trap doesn’t work on them and being Dragonborn is a big deal in the first place. If it could have been done the snake vampires would have hunted down a clutch of the cute little goo monsters and babysat them for a few centuries, it would have been much simpler!
    Yeah, but this isn't stealing a soul. It's bonding to it, analyzing it, and replicating its properties within yourself.

Though their "Divine Slaying" power seems to work by bypassing whatever the source of a god or godlike being's immortality is, and on at least two occasions a Symbiote has been known to have absorbed a soul outright... so if it came down to it, in theory, one could argue that a properly adapted Symbiote is already a Dragonborn.
    BeingExplicitly stated where, because the only time I recall Scream using a sonic knife was when her first host killed her siblings’ first hosts, I’ve been trying to track down that sort of thing.

The pain being all in their heads doesn’t help if it still hurts.
    Off the top of my head, Superior Carnage has a sequences where Karl Malus, while bonded to Carnage, merged a flamethrower with the symbiotes while explicitly stating that the symbiote didn't seem to mind fire if it was the one starting them.

And this was before Carnage gained heat and sonic resistance from the Darkhold.
    Recall that you will also be on the receiving end, because the Dovah also Shout.
    And again, they're not that loud. Honestly back when I played Skyrim I couldn't even make out most shouts used by Dov over the sound of the fireball or ice storm.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

*I am not allowed to layer multiple Disguise Selfs upon myself.
    **Especially not if each layer look exactly like I normally do.
    ***That it made the guards say screw it and let my allies who were under Disguise Selfs to look like other people through the Magic-Disguise-Detection checkpoint without so much as a dispel upon them is not an excuse.

*Not allowed to play a Hylian with a grudge against dragons.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

*May not phrase a double ententdre while talking to a tree via speak with plants.

*The ethereal staff of a Mordenkainen’s magnificent mansion do not appreciate my fire genasi’s desire to have all meats served beyond well-done.

EDIT: correcting autocorrect
    Last edited by P. G. Macer; 2021-02-20 at 09:20 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Titan in the Playground

* Staffs do not have a full-auto setting

Show

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Titan in the Playground

There's an epic feat that lets you fire wands or staffs with your iteratives(though you'll be burning through charges fast if you do) in 3.5e, FWIW.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #1248

*When given a single uncorrupted use of the Wish Spell(I explain the effect I want OOC and get it) at first level, I can't ask to have the spell Magic Missile augmented with the effects of the Chain Spell, Enlarge Spell, Fortify Spell, Heightened Spell(9th level,) Maximize Spell, Quicken Spell, Twin Spell, and Wounding Spell meta magic feats as a spell-like ability usable at will with a caster level equal to my hit-dice.
    **I can't use this to qualify for Force Missle Mage.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

I may no longer presciently make 4th-wall breaking references that actually fit the party better than I realized. <singing> We're off to see the wizard(ess)...</singing>
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

20. - Top - End - #1250

*I can't make a monk/warlock gestalt and treat my warlock invocations and eldritch blasts as ki manipulation.
    **I can't name myself "Goku."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Titan in the Playground

*I can't make a monk/warlock gestalt and treat my warlock invocations and eldritch blasts as ki manipulation.
    **I can't name myself "Goku."
    Isn't there a 5e Monk subclass that's literally that?

Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Isn't there a 5e Monk subclass that's literally that?
    Sun Soul Monk. It's not the best, but I believe it's better than The Way of the Four Elements.

* My One Unique Thing cannot be that I'm the half-sibling of every major political figure.
    ** My goal cannot be to may every Icon.
    * Renaissance Man is not a valid background.

Show

23. - Top - End - #1253

*When the entire party consists of half-dragons, don't form romantic relationships with other members of the party.
    **Especially when the GM insists that we all be the same color, and all have a dragon father than we didn't know.
    ***In hindsight it's obvious that he intends us to be half-siblings.
    ****Can't double down on the relationship after the reveal.
    *****Pointing out that elves and dwarves aren't interfertile and that we're both biologically female somehow makes it worse.

Not real, but it's something I can easily imagine happening if the GM isn't clear with their intentions right off the bat.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Bugbear in the Playground

*I am not permitted to set fire to the moat during the siege.
    **Especially since we're the ones laying siege and it just means we can't get our guys across.
    ***I have to explain how I intend to set the water on fire.
    **** I may not actually have an answer to that question.
    ***** Major creation cannot create chlorine trifluoride.

(Chlorine trifluoride, ClF3, is possibly the most aggressive fluoridator known to man. The fluorine will kick oxygen (which is itself no slouch about forcing its way into molecules that were perfectly happy without it) right out of compounds, which means that it will ignite on contact things that we would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone. Like water. Or ashes. Or sand.

The boiling clouds of hydrofluoric acid are merely a courtesy detail.)
    Play your character, not your alignment.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ettin in the Playground

****** The DM may have a harder time forbidding naphtha/greek fire, which has been known to float on water.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

26. - Top - End - #1256

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    **** I may not actually have an answer to that question.
    ***** Major creation cannot create chlorine trifluoride.

(Chlorine trifluoride, ClF3, is possibly the most aggressive fluoridator known to man. The fluorine will kick oxygen (which is itself no slouch about forcing its way into molecules that were perfectly happy without it) right out of compounds, which means that it will ignite on contact things that we would normally consider already burnt to hell and gone. Like water. Or ashes. Or sand.

The boiling clouds of hydrofluoric acid are merely a courtesy detail.)
    My understanding is that it is one of the deadliest substances known to man.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Titan in the Playground

My understanding is that it is one of the deadliest substances known to man.
    Is that any worse than dioxygen difluoride? Heard about that thanks to xkcd. That stuff's seriously nasty.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2021-02-25 at 11:23 AM.

Extended sig here.

28. - Top - End - #1258

Is that any worse than dioxygen difluoride? Heard about that thanks to xkcd. That stuff's seriously nasty.
    Imagine fire that burns glass, sand, and water.

Now imagine that its smoke is a deadly poison.

It can be contained in certain metals with a certain kind of coating, but the only solution for if there's a breach is to run like Hell.

FOOF burns hotter, but Chlorine trifluoride is scarier.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Titan in the Playground

I think Chlorine Trifluoride wins out by the fact a spill of it like, 900kg once burned through 30cm of concrete and 90cm of gravel underneath. 02F2 ignites with almost any organic substance. Chlorine Trifluoride does that AND reacts with inorganic ones we normally think of as fireproof as well.

* May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride jutsu, kekkei genkai or kekkei touta
    ** May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride Quirk, X-Men mutant or Spiderman villain
    *** Discovering Chlorine Trifluoride in the world of Fullmetal Alchemist is right out
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-02-25 at 11:47 AM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

30. - Top - End - #1260

I think Chlorine Trifluoride wins out by the fact a spill of it like, 900kg once burned through 30cm of concrete and 90cm of gravel underneath. 02F2 ignites with almost any organic substance. Chlorine Trifluoride does that AND reacts with inorganic ones we normally think of as fireproof as well.

* May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride jutsu, kekkei genkai or kekkei touta
    ** May not make a Chlorine Trifluoride Quirk, X-Men mutant or Spiderman villain
    *** Discovering Chlorine Trifluoride in the world of Fullmetal Alchemist is right out
    ...I mean, technically there's a Spider-Man associated character who can do that.

He's not a villain per say, but Sleeper, the seventh offspring of the Venom Symbiote, has high-level chemokinesis and can create any liquid or gaseous substance as well as custom chemicals to do whatever effect it needs.

You could argue that a creature that's weak to fire shouldn't be able to make flaming chemicals... But it can canonically generate napalm.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks