New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 193435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,320 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1291
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

*Especially since a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh lore fits right in with a Fantasy RPG.
    **May not cite how the card game as depicted in the manga as originally a simplified version of Magic the Gathering with the same basic premise.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #1292
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *Especially since a lot of Yu-Gi-Oh lore fits right in with a Fantasy RPG.
    **May not cite how the card game as depicted in the manga as originally a simplified version of Magic the Gathering with the same basic premise.
    * May not point out that at some points Magic & Wizards/Duel Monsters played more like a board game or RPG.

Considering who the final villain is and what the final game played is, I wouldn't be shocked if the lore being so good for RPGs is intentional. It's easy to forget that the original manga was focused on games in general, with some chapters just using them as a metaphor for a dangerous situation. So when the final game is an RPG based on the series lore it makes me itch for an actual Millennium World RPG.

Maybe I should just write the thing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #1293

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    * May not point out that at some points Magic & Wizards/Duel Monsters played more like a board game or RPG.

Considering who the final villain is and what the final game played is, I wouldn't be shocked if the lore being so good for RPGs is intentional. It's easy to forget that the original manga was focused on games in general, with some chapters just using them as a metaphor for a dangerous situation. So when the final game is an RPG based on the series lore it makes me itch for an actual Millennium World RPG.

Maybe I should just write the thing.
    Yeah. I often wonder what the series would have been like if they'd stuck to the original plan instead of the card game taking up most of the plot.

I have the mental image of the final battle against Pegasus being a game of Monopoly. Monopoly for your very soul with every single annoying House Rule that keeps the game going long after it stops being fun enforced to the letter.

And we know that the general plot was planned years in advance, since zorc appeared in the manga as an inconsequential piece in a boardgame/rpg fusion long before the series lore got to his proper appearance, so...

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #1294
    Troll in the Playground

* If you want to use illusion magic to frame the guard who's been harassing you for starting an international incident, have a spell save DC higher than 10.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

5. - Top - End - #1295

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    * If you want to use illusion magic to frame the guard who's been harassing you for starting an international incident, have a spell save DC higher than 10.
    **In general, framing people for something like that is something that you need to think through very carefully and logically should require more than one spell in terms of resources and prepration.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #1296
    Titan in the Playground

**In general, framing people for something like that is something that you need to think through very carefully and logically should require more than one spell in terms of resources and prepration.
    **Typically, “more than one” in this case implies more than two as well.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

7. - Top - End - #1297

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    **Typically, “more than one” in this case implies more than two as well.
    ***Look, at least a dozen and probably some competent hired actors. And months of preperation.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #1298
    Troll in the Playground

This is more "whoops, we're causing an international incident, let's get the people coming after us to remember my hated rival's face".
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Nier: Replicant (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

9. - Top - End - #1299
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. I often wonder what the series would have been like if they'd stuck to the original plan instead of the card game taking up most of the plot.

I have the mental image of the final battle against Pegasus being a game of Monopoly. Monopoly for your very soul with every single annoying House Rule that keeps the game going long after it stops being fun enforced to the letter.

And we know that the general plot was planned years in advance, since zorc appeared in the manga as an inconsequential piece in a boardgame/rpg fusion long before the series lore got to his proper appearance, so...
    I suspect we'd have got to Egypt faster, which might have let us spend more time there.

I'm not sure it would have been Monopoly, I'm picturing something like Settlers of Catan or Poker. Actually I can see Poker working really well considering it makes the Eye a potentially even bigger advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by BisectedBrioche View Post
    This is more "whoops, we're causing an international incident, let's get the people coming after us to remember my hated rival's face".
    * I am to plan my international incidents before causing them.
    ** Thirty seconds is not enough time to plan them.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

10. - Top - End - #1300

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I suspect we'd have got to Egypt faster, which might have let us spend more time there.

I'm not sure it would have been Monopoly, I'm picturing something like Settlers of Catan or Poker. Actually I can see Poker working really well considering it makes the Eye a potentially even bigger advantage.
    Though considering how Childish Pegasus can be, for all we know it could have been hide and seek.

*I can't set the final conflict with the big bad up to be a children's game.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1301
    Titan in the Playground

Though considering how Childish Pegasus can be, for all we know it could have been hide and seek.

I'm now imaging something like the Hide and Seek game from Alice in Borderland...

** Especially if I force the players to play said game,

Show

12. - Top - End - #1302
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

**I can't pretend something isn't a children's card game by giving it a ridiculously overblown name
    ***Especially when said name doesn't even describe any aspect/theme of the game
    ****"Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-4th-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip-Poker" is right out, no matter how many divinities supposedly play it.

13. - Top - End - #1303
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Is that any worse than dioxygen difluoride? Heard about that thanks to xkcd. That stuff's seriously nasty.
    Just replying to this as an excuse to bust out one of my favourite quotes.
    From John D Clark's Ignition! An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants.
    It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water—with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals—steel, copper, aluminum, etc.—because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride that protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes.
    Or from the same guy who wrote that 'Things I Won't Work With' column that xkcd quoted on FOOF:
    https://blogs.sciencemag.org/pipelin..._you_this_time
    I have not encountered this fine substance myself, but reading up on its properties immediately gives it a spot on my “no way, no how” list. Let’s put it this way: during World War II, the Germans were very interested in using it in self-igniting flamethrowers, but found it too nasty to work with. It is apparently about the most vigorous fluorinating agent known, and is much more difficult to handle than fluorine gas. That’s one of those statements you don’t get to hear very often

14. - Top - End - #1304
    Firbolg in the Playground

I believe at least some later versions of D&D explicitly forbid such uses of those spells.
    That's arguable. It says the surface they materialize must be able to support them, but IIRC doesn't explicitly say that it must be able to support them plus the weight of whetever else is on the surface
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

15. - Top - End - #1305
    Titan in the Playground

* My character concept may not be "A Humanoid version of a monster hunter creature"
    ** Especially if its an elder dragon or xeno'jiiva

* I cannot attempt to go around game by game asking if I can play an orc as if I'm going down a list
    ** Especially if some of those games don't even have orcs

* May not make a random comedic relief dwarf bard named "Jalapalazzi" the campaigns secret BBEG
    ** Or somehow contrive it so that the real mastermind was an intelligent dog, mouse, rabbit or any other random furry animal all along in a plot to wipe out humanity so that animals may rule the earth instead
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

16. - Top - End - #1306

* My character concept may not be "A Humanoid version of a monster hunter creature"
    ** Especially if its an elder dragon or xeno'jiiva
    ***"I just want my wings to be a hurricane, is that so much to ask?" leaving my lips permanently revokes any and all right to be a dragon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #1307
    Titan in the Playground

***"I just want my wings to be a hurricane, is that so much to ask?" leaving my lips permanently revokes any and all right to be a dragon.
    **** If my character sheet has monster girl picture from a google search on it, its not allowed.

18. - Top - End - #1308

**** If my character sheet has monster girl picture from a google search on it, its not allowed.
    ****I am not allowed to play a monster girl who goes around naked because her body is absolutely flawless and her flesh and bone are more durable than even the finest of armors.
    *****Even if that's the description of one of the sample player characters.
    ******Even if her fur/scales cover up anything that might be considered indecent.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1309
    Titan in the Playground

****I am not allowed to play a monster girl who goes around naked because her body is absolutely flawless and her flesh and bone are more durable than even the finest of armors.
    *****Even if that's the description of one of the sample player characters.
    ******Even if her fur/scales cover up anything that might be considered indecent.
    ******* Not even if we're playing Heroines of the First Age
    ******** Or Thirsty Sword Lesbians
    ********* No I'm not making up these up, these are real ttrpgs.

20. - Top - End - #1310
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

******* Not even if we're playing Heroines of the First Age
    ******** Or Thirsty Sword Lesbians
    ********* No I'm not making up these up, these are real ttrpgs.
    ********** Because of course they are.

21. - Top - End - #1311

*I can't play a strong, confident humanoid monster. I can sit to standard fantasy races and classes and I can like it.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #1312
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

*I am not to try to turn the game from a RPG to a RTS(-like).
    **Especially if I would be commanding the Not!Russians.
    ***My alignment is Lawful Evil.
    ****And so is my character's.
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

23. - Top - End - #1313

I can't play a godlike superhuman who never wanted to adventure and just wants to lie a quiet life in a cabin in the woods somewhere and who only adventures because fate and chance bend themselves into pretzels to keep them from getting a moment's peace.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1314
    Titan in the Playground

I can't play a godlike superhuman who never wanted to adventure and just wants to lie a quiet life in a cabin in the woods somewhere and who only adventures because fate and chance bend themselves into pretzels to keep them from getting a moment's peace.
    I'm pretty sure if you look there's more than a few instances of that in fiction.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #1315
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    *I am not to try to turn the game from a RPG to a RTS(-like).
    **Especially if I would be commanding the Not!Russians.
    ***My alignment is Lawful Evil.
    ****And so is my character's.
    How do you get the real time part?
    How???
    Like both the player and the gm declares their actions as fast as possible?

26. - Top - End - #1316
    Ettin in the Playground

No more magic powers that turn all clothes, armors, and body coverings in the universe perfectly invisible as soon as someone puts them on. The DM can't keep up.

Also not allowed to corner multi-star system paint & dye markets before making the spell.

27. - Top - End - #1317
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

I'm pretty sure if you look there's more than a few instances of that in fiction.
    A manga abput to become anime does exactly this. A woman dies from overworking, gets reincarnated and lives a liesurely life, killing a few slimes here and there for cash. Then learns she's become super OP, and doesn't care. Tries to hide it, it leaks and suddenly her liesure is gone as she's challenged regularly by adventurers. And dragons. And demons.

It's kinda a fun read and I am looking forward to the april anime.

28. - Top - End - #1318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    A manga abput to become anime does exactly this. A woman dies from overworking, gets reincarnated and lives a liesurely life, killing a few slimes here and there for cash. Then learns she's become super OP, and doesn't care. Tries to hide it, it leaks and suddenly her liesure is gone as she's challenged regularly by adventurers. And dragons. And demons.

It's kinda a fun read and I am looking forward to the april anime.
    What's it called?

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #1319
    Banned

GreenSorcererElf

What's it called?
    Ive been killing slimes for 300 years and maxed out my level.

Yes, the name is atrocious.
    Last edited by Calthropstu; 2021-03-04 at 11:37 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1320
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calthropstu View Post
    Ive been killing slimes for 300 years and maxed out my level.

Yes, the name is atrocious.
    To be fair, this is the same genre that gave us such names as 'Trapped in Another World with my Smartphone' and 'The Tone I Got Reincarnated As A Slime'. It's too be expected.

Show