New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1500
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    To be fair, this is the same genre that gave us such names as 'Trapped in Another World with my Smartphone' and 'The Tone I Got Reincarnated As A Slime'. It's too be expected.
    To be fairer, they sound much more snappier in languages closer to Japanese.

I mean, Korean and Japanese are different, but I've found Japanese-to-Korean translations much smoother than Japanese-to-English.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

I'm pretty sure that the names sound better in the original Japanese.

Especially since in Japanese you can shorten a long title down to a short phrase or even a single word without it losing the meaning.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the names sound better in the original Japanese.

Especially since in Japanese you can shorten a long title down to a short phrase or even a single word without it losing the meaning.
    Using "That Time I Was Reincarnated As A Slime" as an example, "Reincarnated" uses like two kanji. English in general uses more letters(if not necessarily syllables) than Japanese or Korean for the same word, I've noticed that when doing college reports.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

*The artificer and gunslinger are not allowed to make an unwinder round.
    **Doesn't matter the system. NO unwinder rounds.
    ***Stop finding/making more and more ridiculous ways of delivering an unwinder round. They are still not allowed.
    ****Not even if you summon an unseen servant to clean it up. After the second time, they will complain to their bosses and that will ruin it for everyone.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandark View Post
    *The artificer and gunslinger are not allowed to make an unwinder round.
    **Doesn't matter the system. NO unwinder rounds.
    ***Stop finding/making more and more ridiculous ways of delivering an unwinder round. They are still not allowed.
    ****Not even if you summon an unseen servant to clean it up. After the second time, they will complain to their bosses and that will ruin it for everyone.
    What the hell is an unwinder round?

Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    What the hell is an unwinder round?
    I am sooo glad you asked. Have a link to a description.
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...ion-flippancy/

And a link to one in action
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...aximum-trauma/

No good can come from one in your game.

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mandark View Post
    I am sooo glad you asked. Have a link to a description.
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...ion-flippancy/

And a link to one in action
    https://grrlpowercomic.com/archives/...aximum-trauma/

No good can come from one in your game.
    Oh, so basically explosion bullet.

Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #1328

*I can't make a weapon that does extra damage to werewolves in a game with no werewolves.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ettin in the Playground

* Not allowed to suggest we play a supers game with the intent of making a quackzilla.

** Supers characters being smart, wealthy, famous, and good looking is normal. Supers characters that can grow to enormous size are also normal. May not have a character be all that and a duck.

*** Not allowed to make characters that can't speak, have no hands, and grow to the size of aircraft carriers when startled. Especially if I take an "easily startled" drawback.

**** Not allowed to make supers characters based on Little Shop of Horrors.

***** Not allowed to make super-dentist characters either.

****** Not allowed to summon Godzilla and Mothra at the same time as a distraction, to stop a car chase, to stop a bank robbery, to rescue a hostage, or as a party favor.

******* Not allowed characters that can summon multiple ticked-off unkillable kaiju at once.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Titan in the Playground

* If my attack leaves a crater it does not count as nonlethal.

* I cannot play a bard.
    ** No, it's nothing to do with the class, it's because my singing isn't that good.
    *** Must stop trying to burst into renditions of Kawaita Sakebi at the table.
    **** At least until I learn to 1) sing, and 2) speak Japanese.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ettin in the Playground

* If my attack leaves a crater it does not count as nonlethal.
    Depends on the target. I've had players drop orbital strikes on cities as warning shots to people that they knew it wouldn't kill. Then they realized I was willing to calculate the survival rates and figure out how many angry heroes capable of casting teleport were still alive.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

* Just because medieval doctors used leeches doesn't mean that the healer's kit contains vials of leeches.
    ** Just because there are leeches that feed on other leeches doesn't mean you can make special leech healed leeches.
    Hi, I'm back, I guess. ^_^
    I cosplay and stream LPs of single player games on Twitch! Mon, Wed & Fri; currently playing: Fallout: New Vegas (Mon/Wed) and The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (Thurs or Fri)

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Ettin in the Playground

* "Dead is dead. Meat is meat. I've got BBQ sauce."

** "Its not cannibalism if its outside your species. Besides, they only elves."

*** "My bad. I'll pay for your atonement spell. Tho, in my defense, you didn't say your sect had dietary restrictions."

**** "I don't have enough sauce for an orphanage.... You can't blame that on me. I don't cast Fireball."

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Firbolg in the Playground

*I can't make a weapon that does extra damage to werewolves in a game with no werewolves.
    ** Nor can I take "Disadvantage: Susceptible to Werewolves" in a game without werewolves.
    *** "Disadvantage: easily dominated by vampires" is likewise banned in games without vampires.
    **** A werewolf curse, on the other hand, can be a disadvantage even if I don't actually turn into a giant wolf during the full moon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    ** Nor can I take "Disadvantage: Susceptible to Werewolves" in a game without werewolves.
    *** "Disadvantage: easily dominated by vampires" is likewise banned in games without vampires.
    **** A werewolf curse, on the other hand, can be a disadvantage even if I don't actually turn into a giant wolf during the full moon.
    * "Tastes Good To Dragons" is not a valid disadvantage in a space opera game.

On that note.
    * Cannot have the entire Galactic Senate be replaced by shapeshifter clone spies.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

* May have the ancient ur-vampire whose title is "Lord of Nightmares" have a True Name which is awful and painful to say and hear.
    ** That True Name may not be "Kender". Especially if playing with a bunch of people not steeped in the lore and in-jokes of D&D.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Barbarian in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Telok View Post
    * "Dead is dead. Meat is meat. I've got BBQ sauce."

** "Its not cannibalism if its outside your species. Besides, they only elves."

*** "My bad. I'll pay for your atonement spell. Tho, in my defense, you didn't say your sect had dietary restrictions."

**** "I don't have enough sauce for an orphanage.... You can't blame that on me. I don't cast Fireball."
    Counterpoint from my game tonight:

*The friendly local goblins who don't get sick when eating spoiled or unsuitable meat still have a sense of taste
    **This also includes "taste" as in "decorum"
    ***What I'm saying is, when you plonk a few corpses in front of them, they're not going to thank you for a bounteous feast
    Last edited by quinron; 2021-03-07 at 11:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jinjitsu View Post
    Counterpoint from my game tonight:

*The friendly local goblins who don't get sick when eating spoiled or unsuitable meat still have a sense of taste
    **This also includes "taste" as in "decorum"
    ***What I'm saying is, when you plonk a few corpses in front of them, they're not going to thank you for a bounteous feast
    Are those things you're no longer allowed to do in a game?

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Bugbear in the Playground

* "Tastes Good To Dragons" is not a valid disadvantage in a space opera game.

On that note.
    * Cannot have the entire Galactic Senate be replaced by shapeshifter clone spies.
    It... really depends on the space opera.

And replacing the entire Galactic Senate with lookalikes would probably make them too effective

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Titan in the Playground

Does Stellaris count as a space opera? Because I'm pretty sure there are dragon-like things there.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Does Stellaris count as a space opera? Because I'm pretty sure there are dragon-like things there.
    Stellaris is more like a bunch of spreadsheets wearing an intricately crafted space opera trenchcoat.

But more seriously: it has more than a few elements of space opera, but I'd hesitate to describe it as one. Mainly due to it being a 4X/Grand Strategy which mainly revolves around building an economy, not an RPG of any sorts.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2021-03-08 at 07:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    It... really depends on the space opera.

And replacing the entire Galactic Senate with lookalikes would probably make them too effective
    Actual thing I was referencing. (Yes, one of those flaws does actually come up later.)

Oh, and for the other one.

Show

23. - Top - End - #1343

*When preparing to heist a palace during a banquet, I can rug the wine or the gravy not both.
    **I am to tell my compatriots who are running interference at the banquet proper what all has been drugged.
    ***Because if I don't, the wizard gets high on the drugs in the wine, drinks all the gravy straight from the boat, and almost dies of an overdose.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Titan in the Playground

*When preparing to heist a palace during a banquet, I can rug the wine or the gravy not both.
    **I am to tell my compatriots who are running interference at the banquet proper what all has been drugged.
    ***Because if I don't, the wizard gets high on the drugs in the wine, drinks all the gravy straight from the boat, and almost dies of an overdose.
    I’m not sure if something that makes you high would be a good idea to slip into alcohol in the first place, and also what’s a Wizard with pissant Con drinking wine during a heist in the first place?

Extended sig here.

25. - Top - End - #1345

Nothing good can possibly come from combining klyntar symbiotes with life fibers.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Titan in the Playground

* Seeing what happens when Rogue from X-Men and All For One from MHA touch each other is probably not a good idea
    ** Or what happens when Amanda Waller meets Magneto
    *** Lobo and Deadpool, while a hilarious teamup, probably shouldn't happen for the sake of everyone else

* putting Lex Luthor and Victor von Doom in the same room together is just asking for trouble, no matter how it turns out
    ** Even if its just them shouting "SUPERMAN!" "REED RICHARDS!" back and forth at each other for hours when they disagree on who to kill first.
    *** Even if they just compromise and settle for killing a parallel universe version of both known as "Mr. Super-Fantastic".
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2021-03-09 at 04:40 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #1347
    Ogre in the Playground

* Just because the guidelines for a superpowered teen campaign says I can use villain archetypes from the Cosmic Handbook, doesn't mean they're all suitable for such a game.
    ** Like the space dragon.
    *** And the Time Master.
    **** Overkill does not even begin to describe siccing an expy of Galactus on a party when their characters are just superpowered teenagers.
    ***** I may not be surprised if the table bans me from using that handbook ever again.
    Last edited by Drakeburn; 2021-03-09 at 06:19 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Titan in the Playground

*May not ask someone to read the acronym of Old World of Darkness out loud.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

* My Druid may multiclass to Bard, but they're not required to sing Tree Wizard.

* If I cannot rap in real life I cannot do it in character either.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Titan in the Playground

* My Druid may multiclass to Bard, but they're not required to sing Tree Wizard.

* If I cannot rap in real life I cannot do it in character either.
    I'm pretty sure there's a 3.5e prestige class specifically for multiclassing Bard and Druid.

I'm also pretty sure it sucks, but eh.

Extended sig here.