New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

*Martian/Kryptonian hybrids are not a thing that should ever exist anywhere.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things I May No Longer Do While Playing XII: A Thousand-Yard Stare is not Permiss

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    *Martian/Kryptonian hybrids are not a thing that should ever exist anywhere.
    * Kryptonian vampires should not be a thing either, mostly because we shouldn't be confused as to whether the person gains power from or is destroyed by the sun.
    ** kryptonian/saiyans hybrids are right out, should not exist anywhere either.
    *** and as we agreed upon before, any child of Boruto and Sarada should never come into existence
    **** stacking Sharingan with Force User with Red Lantern Ring with Odiumspren is just begging for things to go horribly wrong
    ***** especially if you used Hemalurgy to put in that last one.

* May not accidentally start a Sanderson discussion
    ** may not read or comment on peoples opinions of Sanderson if they disagree with me, life is too short to argue about one of my favorite authors when I could be doing more positive things.

Spoiler: On Peter F. Hamilton and other things writing related stuff:
    Show

Ehhh.....I've read Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained, I can tell effort was put into it, but I never was all that grabbed by them? like....all the parts where there, and they all connected, but it just didn't leave all that much of an impression on me.

though I'm a fast reader. I read through things so fast and well that when I have to go on vacation involving planes, I have to make sure I don't read a Stormlight Archive book too fast so that I don't run out of stuff to read even if its just for three days. A stormlight archive book is usually a thousand pages long for context. anything else won't last long enough because its high quality and long. so I don't care if books stay long, I seem to be books target audience, because I can read books like crazy.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    This.

Sanderson is okay, and I enjoy him when he sticks to shorter books. But unlike Peter F. Hamilton, who I can read a 1000 page book from without looking for something to break the boredom (although I do need to read something else in between times) I've not yet been able to read Sanderson's long books in one go. Although Hamilton is the very specific style of writing that I adore, and always has something happening in at least one of his main plots, and very few subplots (trending towards having seven or so major plot threads that doesn't converge). I wouldn't recommend Hamilton for everybody, but he's very good of you can grok his style.

I'm starting to feel like SF&F needs to go back to shorter books. A series of 300 page books is easier to get into then a series of 1000 page books (my younger brother was convinced that the Stormlight Archive had to be a trilogy, after discovering that it's meant to be ten books he understood exactly why I'd decided to stop reading it).
    I get where you're coming from, but I disagree completely (in a "media quality is subjective so I really like what you apparently don't" kind of way). I've honestly never heard of Hamilton, so I can't comment on that, but what you described as your reading experience with his books seems very similar to mine with Sanderson's, and what you described about your experience with Sanderson is similar to mine with the Wheel of Time, which I am trying to get through now, mostly because Sanderson finished it and I want to read those books. As for the last part, I do agree that doorstoppers are not necessarily the right way to go for SF&F, and I understand how it can intimidate away from the books, but I also think that a book should be the length that it needs to, and the Stormlight Archive is a big-book series. With the amount of worldbuilding, character development, and intrigue (which admittedly it seems like you want less of, explaining your issue with the books) they really can't afford to be any smaller. Anyway, YMMV. He does have some short non-Cosmere stuff that is good too though. Skyward is both sanely-sized and very good.

Because I feel like I have to be at least a little bit on topic:
    * Yes, I may make a bard
    **Yes, I may have a seafaring soldier background
    ***Yes, I may max out intelligence and all knowledge-based skills and abilities, including biology, zoology, and geology
    ****No, I may not be the very model of a modern major general
    Stop using good evidence and logic that makes sense to refute points, that's my job
    Lots of people seem to use blue for sarcasm, I decided I should too
    Quote Originally Posted by nabcif View Post
    Nitpick: I believe you'll find that only our heads explode. Page 43 of Book of Pedantic Forumites, if memory serves.
    I have joined the ranks of the FFRPeople Here is my character.

Thank you to Linkele for creating my avatar!

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

More Exalted ones:
    * May not joke that "In Soviet Prasad, Anathema join US!"
    ** May not joke that "In Soviet Prasad, we ARE the gods that are worshipped!"
    *** May not make a Solar who joins the Pure Way to be "redeemed" and ends up befriending all the Prasadi Dragon-Blooded and working my way up until I unite the Empire under my theocratic rule as a paragon of Prasadi values.
    **** May not then use my new position to offer all other Solar Anathema to be redeemed as well and thus try to start a new age of cooperation between Solars and Dragon-Blooded by using the Pure Way as an institution to allow Solars to be accepted without completely overthrowing society in some disastrous revolution.
    ****** May not use this as a way to hoard Solars and use their power to expand my empire and make it greater than the Realm. This has to go wrong SOMEHOW.
    ******* May not push my luck by trying to extend this to Abyssals. That will not end well.

* May not refer to Dynasts as "DB Tyrant Classic"
    ** Lookshyans are not "Dynasts But More Reasonable"
    *** Prasadi are not "Dynasts But With Anathema servants"
    **** Outcastes are not traitors who all inevitably join Anathema
    ***** Heaven's Dragons are not underpaid immigrants who the Sidereals outsource their jobs to. Thats what the Immaculate Order is for!
    ****** The Forest Witches are not VR junkies.

* House Cynis is not the Dragon-Blooded Mafia
    ** House Ragara is not the Dragon-Blooded Bank- oh wait.
    *** House Nellens is not the Realm's Bourgeosie Labor Supply
    **** House Peleps is not the Realm's Nav- oh wait
    ***** House Sesus is not the Realm's Private Military Contractors
    ****** House Cathak is not the Realm's Super-Star Paladins
    ******* House Ledaal is not the Realm's Library nor is their motto "Anathema Are Coming"

5. - Top - End - #185

* My Barbarian has to wear more than just a skirt made of a bear pelt when we're visiting the King of a civilized nation.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

* My Barbarian has to wear more than just a skirt made of a bear pelt when we're visiting the King of a civilized nation.
    ** My barbarian should wash his bear pelt on occasion too

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Daemon

Even if he *kilt* it himself.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    Rogue Equivalent Damage calculator, now prettier and more configurable!
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!
    NIH system 5e fork, very much WIP. Base github repo.
    NIH System PDF Up to date main-branch build version.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Dwarf in the Playground

* My well-meaning Troll may no longer put up a hand-written tear away sign at the local cornerstore when the captain of the crew has mentioned they need to hire a new guy for a heist.
    ** Especially not if it mentions "doing crimey stuff", "ask for Cap'n Oscar" and has their adress on the tear away slips. (Shadowrun is fun.)

* Grob is also no longer allowed to bring a construction-site floodlight slung to his Krime Gun
    ** No, even if the rest of the crew has tacticool flashlights slung to their guns,
    *** Even if he's "bigger 'an 'em" and "'as a bigger gun."
    **** Even if it has a strobe light (And no Grob, waving your hand in front of it really quickly does not count.)
    ***** Even if he's afraid of the dark.
    Last edited by Neknoh; 2019-01-12 at 06:27 PM.
    I'll top the bill, I'll earn the kill, I have to find the will to carry on, with the show, with the show.

(thanks Prime for awesum avatar, and thank you to all of the original BleachItP cast, it was great RP'ing with you)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

*there's no such thing as "air-shotgunning, but with a shotgun. into a crowd. repeatedly."
    **especially when the mission brief specifically said "non-lethal equipment only".
    ***point-blank rubber baton ammo will still kill most people.
    ****even without the bayonnetting of the survivors.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not inadvertently spread my apparent RL curse of horrible luck with technological devices failing/breaking to other members of the group.
    Spoiler: Playground Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Safety Sword View Post
    JAL_1138: Founding Member of the Paranoid Adventurer's Guild.
    Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    - If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

11. - Top - End - #191

I may not raise the INT on an animal companion, teach it Linguistics, and then have it fill in for a bard role.
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    I may not raise the INT on an animal companion, teach it Linguistics, and then have it fill in for a bard role.
    **Even if its charisma is comparable with both the druid and the fighter.
    *** People might even buy the "cute talking tiger or wolf" but not adorable monitor lizard, even if its charisma is higher than that of the other two creatures.

* When my DM tells me, a troll is more charismatic than my tiefling alchemist, I may not proceed to pump a troll full with potions to raise charisma and have him actually pose as my "PR guy"

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

*Chickens are not the ultimate sorcerers.
    **I can not substitute dragons by chickens freely.
    ***even through chickens have 13 charisma.
    Last edited by noob; 2019-01-18 at 10:27 AM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ettin in the Playground

Soon, not yet, but soon, I am pretty sure that I will no longer be allowed to include an Illuminati type organization based on Snow White and the Seven Dwarves... If the players figure it out.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
    I acctually have a charecter in a game that has a cohort/Animal companion/other stuff as a buffer, the main char is built to be a good buff platform. Another chareter that posseses their phantom from spirtualist -- Yeah, Homebrew, epic, and Tristalt get weird
    Game I am in:
    Giants and Graveyards Red Hand of Doom as Enn (3.5 Changeling Rogue//Dark template/Beguiler) using Grod's awesome Giants and Graveyards fixes
    Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    3.5 is the English Language of gaming.
    Folklore and the Evil Eye - A Guide to The Dreamscarred Press Malefex Class

16. - Top - End - #196
    Orc in the Playground

*I am not allowed to start a mutiny on my first day on board the ship
    **Or my second
    ***Even if the captain and his lackeys are in fact terrible at their jobs
    Thank you to Honest Tiefling for my awesome avatar!

Spoiler: Astofel's Simple Rules for a Happy Life
    Show

1. Always stop to pet a cat
    2. Don't be a donkey
    3. Always take the opportunity to make a dumb joke

17. - Top - End - #197

DrowGuy

*no shooting the subway orphans.
    **no teaching the orphans how to shoot up, either.
    ***no finding innovative ways to kill kids in game.
    ****putting their corpses in freezers is both politically incorrect and way the hell out of bounds.
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

18. - Top - End - #198

*I may not compel a summoned Balor to play the Bagpipes to gain a bonus on my performance checks if I'm not the one who summoned the Balor.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*A villain may not abuse the fact that talking is a free action to filibuster combat while they come up with a plan.
    Show

- If it's something mortals were not meant to know, I've already found six different ways to blow myself and/or someone else up with it.
    Gnomish proverb

I use blue text for silliness and/or sarcasm. Do not take anything I say in blue text seriously, except for this sentence and the one preceding it.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

* Oramus is not Jevil and he doesn't sing eternally in his wings.
    ** The Unconquered Sun is not four-armed All-Might
    *** The Getimians are not WD Gaster
    **** Malfeas is not flaming green nuclear Karkat
    ***** Autochthon is not Wheatley from Portal 2
    ****** The Sidereals are not jedi
    ******* The Abyssals are not Sith
    ******** The Scarlet Dynasty's anthem is not the Imperial March from Star Wars
    ********* It is no longer appropriate for Infernal Exalted to sing "When your Evil"
    ********** It is however still perfectly fine for Fair Folk to do so.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

*I may not compel a summoned Balor to play the Bagpipes to gain a bonus on my performance checks if I'm not the one who summoned the Balor.
    Why not? What if my Wizard uses Gate for the Bard to do that?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

22. - Top - End - #202

* I am not to use planar travel or teleportation to exploit legal loopholes.
    ** If I do it anyway, the Inevitables are coming.
    *** Ysgard is not a tax haven.
    **** Using Carceri to gitmo my enemies is acceptable, but when they end up subverting the guard-creatures and leading a planar prison break I will have no one to blame but myself.

* Yes, you can melt down the chainmail and use the metal for crafting projects.
    ** Yes, this includes firearms
    *** No, this will not get me a chaingun.
    Last edited by TheTeaMustFlow; 2019-01-21 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheTeaMustFlow View Post
    * I am not to use planar travel or teleportation to exploit legal loopholes.
    ** If I do it anyway, the Inevitables are coming.
    *** Ysgard is not a tax haven.
    **** Using Carceri to gitmo my enemies is acceptable, but when they end up subverting the guard-creatures and leading a planar prison break I will have no one to blame but myself.

That is why I usually use the Positive Energy Plane for that. Either it is undead and vaporizes in seconds, or it is living which is apparently like a microwave, healing the poor bugger until he pops.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

* I must speak more languages than Esperanto.

From the 'ejection security in D&D thread:
    * Creating demiplanes serves more purposes than having tax havens.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post

That is why I usually use the Positive Energy Plane for that. Either it is undead and vaporizes in seconds, or it is living which is apparently like a microwave, healing the poor bugger until he pops.
    Actually undead regain hit points while in the positive energy plane and does not have the drawback of exploding because the explosion part does not apply to objects and is resisted by a fortitude save.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    Actually undead regain hit points while in the positive energy plane and does not have the drawback of exploding because the explosion part does not apply to objects and is resisted by a fortitude save.
    *May NOOOOOOT insert a positive energy plane lich as the villain of my new campaign.
    ** Even if it would come with the complementary undead horde composed entirely of "light spirits"

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

* I must speak more languages than Esperanto.
    ** May not ironically use Esperanto as a way to hide information from people

* May not play an Iselsi just so I can have an excuse to betray everyone -except the PCs- when I need to.

28. - Top - End - #208

*May not respond to people asking who I am by singing random verses from Sympathy for the Devil.
    **even if I'm actually a demon of some kind.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

*May not respond to people asking who I am by singing random verses from Sympathy for the Devil.
    ***Asmodeus should not introduce himself with references to “Sympathy for the Devil” lyrics either.
    ****“Devil Went Down to Georgia” is right out.
    Show

Gnomish proverb

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JAL_1138 View Post
    ***Asmodeus should not introduce himself with references to “Sympathy for the Devil” lyrics either.
    ****“Devil Went Down to Georgia” is right out.
    *****Demons by Imagine Dragons may not be sung by demons, dragons, half-demonic dragons, or half-dragon demons.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.