New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords OOC

For the remaining 629gp could we purchase some part charged wands (ideally 10 shots wands for 150gp) of a couple of useful spells (maybe bless? or somethnig that is more party buff) to add a little variety and party bonus?

On the encumbrance front I'm in a similar boat. Medium encumbrance until I drop the back packback so that'll likely stay on the mule so I won't slow people down. I can wait till we have more gold before I upgrade to the MW Mithril chain shirt or the MW backpack
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

MW backpack is only 50g, so that is pretty easy to justify if it will change you from medium to light.
    Not sure what the options for partial wands is, but something like bless would be good.
    For the armor, I agree that waiting until you can get it in mithral is probably worth forgoing the standard in masterwork. We're still a ways away from that though. Darkleaf leather lamellar would be my personal choice, but I'm purposefully avoiding metal armors in the whole "working on a ship and metal armor makes you swim like a rock"

Not totally sure on the time, but its got to be mid-day at least and I expect this to be a fairly long day, if not several days. So I don't really want to get into an unknown woods that is full of goblins right at it is getting dark.
    Also from a game perspective we haven't rested since leveling up so I haven't had a chance to pick the new spells I picked up or new spell slots.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

There's no Tsuto's house in town. He lived in Kaijitsu Manor before he left the town altogether five years ago.

There is a used wand of CLW for sale in town, with (1d20+5)[7] charges remaining for the price of (1d8+14)[21] per charge. You know, these are in demand.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    MW backpack is only 50g, so that is pretty easy to justify if it will change you from medium to light.
    Not sure what the options for partial wands is, but something like bless would be good.
    For the armor, I agree that waiting until you can get it in mithral is probably worth forgoing the standard in masterwork. We're still a ways away from that though. Darkleaf leather lamellar would be my personal choice, but I'm purposefully avoiding metal armors in the whole "working on a ship and metal armor makes you swim like a rock"

Not totally sure on the time, but its got to be mid-day at least and I expect this to be a fairly long day, if not several days. So I don't really want to get into an unknown woods that is full of goblins right at it is getting dark.
    Also from a game perspective we haven't rested since leveling up so I haven't had a chance to pick the new spells I picked up or new spell slots.
    Did we level up to level 3?!

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ettin in the Playground

It's well into the afternoon already, but still enough time to prepare for tomorrow if you do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Did we level up to level 3?!
    Nope, but I highly suspect that when you do, you'll have the same problem you had leveling to 2, that is being right in the middle of something. Might be just as well nobody's getting 2nd level slots he cannot fill until the whole thing is over...

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, unless I've missed something we haven't rested since hitting level 2. We've been back in town and not fighting, but haven't rested overnight. So while I've got one more level 0 and 1 spell slot I haven't got a chance to prepare them yet. Although I haven't put either of my 1st level spells to use, too small of an area for enlarge person and the other utility just didn't come up yet.

Just from a team style perspective, should I pick up a ranged/thrown weapon? Not going to be very good with them, but half the team is ranged and if we want to hold back and shoot before running in I'll get something so I have an option that is a little better than acid splash.

4-5 hours for the trip there, even if we did everything at the glassworks before noon thats going to be mid evening before we get there and late into the night to get back, assuming we can even get in a take out a leader in a short time. We're also going to have to track down the bugbear and we don't really know where he is.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-05-26 at 03:02 PM.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Sister Iris, did you learn about Thassilonian iconography?
    Let's find out:

Knowledge (history) (1d20+4)[16]

Just from a team style perspective, should I pick up a ranged/thrown weapon? Not going to be very good with them, but half the team is ranged and if we want to hold back and shoot before running in I'll get something so I have an option that is a little better than acid splash
    From my perspective I was kinda assuming a good number of folk would charge straight in. Because if any foe halfway competent gets to me, I'm toast . I've got Precise Shot.

Versatility is good though. If cost is a factor maybe just loot the next medium-sized ranged weapon we come across.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

WIth the situation probably best if we prep for the evening. Get a nights rest to recharge then start travel first thing in the morning

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostfoot View Post
    Versatility is good though. If cost is a factor maybe just loot the next medium-sized ranged weapon we come across.
    I had thought about it after we sold the composite shortbow. I've got no problem running in, I just didn't want to run in first all the time if some of the group wanted to be more stealthy and ranged. I think I've been knocked unconscious 4 times already...

It seems likely that we can do at least this first trip in a day, so at this point I think we can put off anything like tents, but keep the standard bedrolls and similar just in case.

Seeing what others have available I'm going to prep
    0 - dancing light, read magic (for scrolls) cauterize (for spellstrike), and... ghost sound?
    1 - deadeye's arrow (give me some range?), enlarge person (think I can actually put it to use outside), color spray or maybe obscuring mist. Maybe I take both the larger and drop enlarge person? I think maybe the utility is going to be more use than range and a bit of damage.

So what are we buying? (assuming already the armor mentioned previously)
    tanglefoot bag 15g (replace the one used earlier)
    silk rope 10g
    camouflage netting 20g
    bear trap 2g (seems potentially useful but heavy)
    wand CLW 147g (if we think we need it)

maybe some other scrolls/potions?
    Having trouble coming up with much that doesn't seem really minor or just too expensive. There are a few cracked Ion Stones that might be useful, if a bit situational. While Lizuga hasn't mentioned anything after the breastplate, a MW Lucerne hammer (315g), and a darkwood heavy shield with spikes (7+150+10+50 = 217g if I got all the parts right, still 10lbs) would both seem like good options and both are possible if we don't get the wand.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

There are a few occasions where a scroll of Reduce Person on Adalbert could help too you know. Even if just for the pure hilarity of it.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

As for "Heavy", Lizuga has about 90 pounds of capacity available.
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Knowledge (planar) (1d20+5)[23] re: Barghest/ Greater Barghest
    Knowledge (religion) (1d20+5)[14] re: Lamashtu
    Knowledge (local) (1d20+5)[13] re: Nualia Tobyn
    Knowledge (history) (1d20+4)[16] re: Thassilonian iconography
    So, here's what Iris knows:
    1. A barghest is an evil outsider, a lupine fiend that can take the shape of a wolf or a goblin. In its natural form, it resembles a goblin-wolf hybrid with terrible jaws and sharp claws. It grows by feeding on corpses, but not just any corpse will advance a barghest. Barghests have spell-like abilities, but Iris does not know what they are. As fiends, chances are they are also not easily harmed by normal weapons, but that's just an extrapolation and Iris does not know what weapons could be recommended to harm it (the candidates are cold iron, silver, magic, good, or some mix of the above). Greater barghests are the same, but larger and nastier.
    2. Lamashtu is some dark evil goddess. Her titles are "The Demon Queen" and "Mother of Monsters".
    3. Nope.
    4. Iris knows that thassilonians used a seven-pointed star to represenet seven schools of magic and the corresponding seven nations of the empire and, indirectly, the empire itself, but that is basically all she knows.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

The morning is when you say it is. I assume you leave the prisoners be, for now, and just head to Thistletop (correct me if this is not so). I will need some details about marching order:
    1. Do you walk all together or send someone (e.g. Shalelu) to scout ahead?
    2. Would you prefer to use or not to use various trails that might be in the forest? The former risks encountering more goblins and the later risks encountering more stinging nettles and goblinberry.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    The morning is when you say it is. I assume you leave the prisoners be, for now, and just head to Thistletop (correct me if this is not so). I will need some details about marching order:
    1. Do you walk all together or send someone (e.g. Shalelu) to scout ahead?
    2. Would you prefer to use or not to use various trails that might be in the forest? The former risks encountering more goblins and the later risks encountering more stinging nettles and goblinberry.
    1. Justin would ask SHalelu to scout ahead and do a little himself with his stealth
    2. Former in Justin's opinon. We can kill goblins but don't want to arrive weakened or get lost. Plus gobbo's are less active in the daylight

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ettin in the Playground

No one else really said anything either way, but I would like to question them at least somewhat before we go. If others want to just go I won't fight them on it.

Things I would like to ask:
    goblin:
    which tribe it is from
    how much the tribes are working together
    has it seen the asimar, and if so where is she staying
    any other non-goblinoids that are working with them, other than Tsuto and Nualia
    is the barghest at Thistletop or has it even seen it
    if the bugbear is at or regularly visits Thistletop
    who is the tribe's mightiest fighters and magic users

quasit:
    who summoned it
    where it learned its advanced magic
    how long has it been on the mortal plane
    other leaders, what they are and where they might be
    methods of communication/where when meetings are between them
    how long the barghest has been summoned

How we get them to answer is another question. The quasit we pretty much only have the option to kill it or threaten to leave it locked up forever.
    The goblin we could offer (as a lie or true) to set free if it helps us. If it helps a lot and is from another tribe, if we can convince it that the leaders were sacrificing their tribe maybe that could lead them to fighting. Adalbert is the only one that can speak goblin, if we could convince it that he is a goblin and safe, that we're not anti-goblin, that might help.

We'll add the scroll of reduce person for Adalbert. Between the wand of CLW, MW Lucerne hammer, and darkwood shield, or other things entirely I don't know, no one else said or suggested anything.

Not being exceptionally stealthy or perceptive I will stay with the group, near, if not in the front. I would stay on the main trail until we get to the Nettlewood. I would recommend staying on the trails at least until we start seeing direct recent goblin activity.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

On another matter, I have completely lost overview on what we bought now.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe u-b is letting us pick up anything that isn't too expensive, aka, anything we can afford. So I say we pick up what I have suggested, and the scroll of reduce person. No one else has suggested anything. Lizuga and I both have our new armor on our sheets, but no indication if Lizuga wants/is going to take a MW Lucerne hammer or darkwood shield...
    So until she states one way or the other, lets say we pick up what I mentioned earlier and the reduce person, and we have 557g (629-10-15-20-2-25) left before the wand of CLW (what is everyone's take on the wand?)

Thinking about it some more a couple silver weapon blanches (5g each), and/or potions of bless weapon or magic weapon would be good. 2 of each would be 210g. Not going overboard on buying but giving us options if we run into other unusual creatures.
    Last edited by Erloas; 2019-05-30 at 04:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, I kinda want a (250gp) MW chain shirt as well. If Iris has a wand of CLW, we can wait on ours.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

mw lucerne hammer would be nice, but darkwood shield doesn't do much fo her.
    Semper ludens.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Yea, I kinda want a (250gp) MW chain shirt as well. If Iris has a wand of CLW, we can wait on ours.
    I have a bit of spare cash still after character creation. I only avoided healing items as I read somewhere that Lizuga was a healing machine.

So I'll grab the CLW wand with my starting funds (cost 147gp) and you guys can use the loot cash for more interesting bits and bobs.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Shalelu(sp?) had one, but if Iris has the money to pick it up then that would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    mw lucerne hammer would be nice, but darkwood shield doesn't do much fo her.
    The darkwood part is very cheap, most of the cost comes in the MW and spikes. But we'll do the MW hammer and Adalbert's MW chainmail.

So 557g - 315g - 250g + 5+7.5 (sell old equipment) = 4.5g left.
    Not enough for the bless or magic weapon potions, but I think we should be good.

Once we're done with the quasit we should be good to head out. I don't plan on doing too much with it right away, if it wants much of anything in exchange for information we'll just leave it for later. Main question at this point is what it might know about the main threats at Thistletop, everything beyond that can wait.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

Bah, realized I forget to put in a little part I had meant to so went to edit it in. Hit delete post while scrolling down. And of course it was right when u-b posts and screws up the order...

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

AH, goblins! Curse my low initiative roll.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I am wrecking these gobbos with the power of good dice rolls.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't think it will make a difference... but

crit confirm
    (1d20+6)[13]
    damage
    (1d8+4)[6]

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Justin got F21 ahead of Lebwen, who can do something else with his standard action (splitting the downed goblin in half is also fine and might have some psychological effect on the one remaining).

27. - Top - End - #297
    Troll in the Playground

Perception check to keep track of the runner: (1d20+8)[27]
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

I saw his post and completely didn't register which one(s) he actually attacked. So lacking anything better to do, eviscerate that goblin. If this were Munchkin then Mutalating the Corpse is worth a level

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga got the one at A13.

Goblin vs daze: (1d20-1)[16]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Staunching Strike heals plenty for me to be at full HP. No-one else was hit IIRC.
    Semper ludens.