New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Basically move action to climb, standard action to check for goblins, and maybe find a sling or ranged weapon. Maybe there was an crossbow archery contest somewhere?
    Not on the town square. Some target shooting occured from the cliff above Junk Beach towards the Chopper's Isle, that's 200..300 feet to the west. You can get some roof tiles and throw them, but improvised for 1d2-1 per tile is not very much.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Knowledge (Religion) to have Adalbert know about Rovagug Lamashtu/the Goblin Hero-gods. (1d20+7)[26]
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-12-01 at 10:43 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Trying out a block of bookkeeping and pre-declared/pre-rolled stuff:

Spoiler: Attack of Opportunity #1 (reach)
    Show
    Lucerne Hammer (1d20+4)[21], damage (1d12+4)[16]+(1d6)[3].
    Spoiler: AoO #2 (Combat Reflexes)
    Show
    Lucerne Hammer (1d20+4)[13], damage (1d12+4)[10]+(1d6)[5].
    Spoiler: AC and other defenses
    Show
    AC 13 (+1 Dex, +2 Shield). Counter: Oaken shield, +4 to AC (additional shield bonus)
    Spoiler: Fort save
    Show
    (1d20+3)[6]
    Spoiler: Ref save
    Show
    (1d20+1)[13]
    Spoiler: Will save
    Show
    (1d20+5)[6]
    Spoiler: Resource tracking
    Show
    Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Encouraging Roar, Staunching Strike.
    Triage: 3/3
    Hit Points: 10/10
    Semper ludens.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

I dont know what goblins are physically but I recall everything about goblinoid religion.
    Apparently, the books Adalbert has head about the goblins contained a lot of facts, but not a single picture.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh, that was close. 0 hp for a moment there.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Because I am a dork, I need to roll CLW again with a d8 this time: (1d8+1)[9]
    Sorry Lizuga for leaving you there.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, you guys are bastards :-).

Whip-goblin is going to have a hard time doing anything without eating an AoO.
    Semper ludens.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Yeah, you guys are bastards :-).

Whip-goblin is going to have a hard time doing anything without eating an AoO.
    Good start as we break the first rule of adventuring ..... Never split the party!

EDIT: If my paltry 15 (stupid rolling a 5 again!) hits then everyone at the Town gate will get +2 damage on their next attack from my Gambit
    Last edited by DrK; 2018-12-02 at 12:16 PM.
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah, sorry about that. I looked at everything and said "she can handle a couple goblins and they'll be dead before I get there and I've got nothing special to help with fire" and I manage to run to another location before it is handled, so my bad.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yeah, my thinking was my dwarf speed would take too long to get there, and the crowd would block my archery, so I'd be better off sticking to the northeast corner.

Besides, is it really splitting the party if our characters haven't learned we're a party yet?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

BTW, I have to admit, Revitalizing Touch feels a little dirty at level 1. Once we hit level 3 or 4, it's going to be a reasonable trade-off, but at level 1 it's really good.
    Semper ludens.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

@ U-B

Does my counter with its dance check allow me to avoid one of the attacks? It beat their roll so I'm hoping I avoided the first hit. Means I'm on a healthy 4hp rather than 0!

cheers

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I have seen that a Pathfinder character _needs_ to be viable in combat. Would you allow a rebuild? Do you even think I need one? Because I already feel if Lizuga's build wasn't so good, she's be dead and it would be my fault.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

I wouldn't say it is your fault, there was 3 others of us that ran off on our own choice.

As for a rebuild, you could shoot stuff just fine if you had your crossbow. A ranged weapon (or fineese weapon) would make you decent enough.
    Not wanting to jump into close combat is understandable, just hard when you've left your ranged weapons at home.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    Does my counter with its dance check allow me to avoid one of the attacks? It beat their roll so I'm hoping I avoided the first hit. Means I'm on a healthy 4hp rather than 0!
    Oops, sorry. Fixed that.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ettin in the Playground

I have seen that a Pathfinder character _needs_ to be viable in combat. Would you allow a rebuild? Do you even think I need one? Because I already feel if Lizuga's build wasn't so good, she's be dead and it would be my fault.
    Idon't think a rebuild is required. You were handling, without full gear, a fight which is CR 2 for a four-person party. For one person, that was supposed to be dangerous if not outright deadly, so I think Lizuga did adequately, to say the least. I'm reading that this AP contains more fights that would be deadly if not carefully arranged, but that's, like, by design.
    Last edited by u-b; 2018-12-04 at 08:59 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

BlackDragon

This is probably as good a time as any to point out that I'm fairly inexperienced with Pathfinder, so, sorry if I make any mechanical mistakes. I've played and DMed both 3.5 and 5th ed. D&D (mainly 5th of late), but so far my Pathfinder experience has only been a few sessions and plenty of browsing open content to translate material to other editions. I think I've got a solid handle on everything, but something that's just a little different from the other systems may occasionally catch me off guard.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

From a mechanical standpoint, Archaeologist's Luck is a solid bonus; what you are lacking is something to apply that bonus to. Ranged combat is very feat-intensive to get into, and if you're going that route, you should probably hold off on Lingering Performance.
    Semper ludens.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Try and stabilise, with Justin's current luck I've not got high hopes. I feel embarrassed bring dropped by goblins!

Stabilise Vs DC14 (10 + -4 HPs) (1d20+2)[3]

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

From a mechanical standpoint, Archaeologist's Luck is a solid bonus; what you are lacking is something to apply that bonus to. Ranged combat is very feat-intensive to get into, and if you're going that route, you should probably hold off on Lingering Performance.
    I would like to switch the following things after the battle:

1) Go to Archivist from Archaeologist. I understand that inspire courage is an easy-to-use bonus that is always good, but Archivist fits the fluff better. It even has the rogue's trapfinding built in, even though it's second level.

2) Switch traits from Fate's Favored and Trapfinder to Adopted (Gnome): Helpful (+4 to aid another) and Dangerously Curious (+1 to Use Magic Device, I WANT to use that skill very liberally once i've reached Lv 3+ and can safely activate those items).

3) Switch feat from Lingering Performance to Extra Performance (to prepare for Master Performer with the request to allow this to refluffed for my academy and my style of performance).

This way I retain the curious adventurer type scholar, but I can help others with their combat, I have a crunch reason to heavily invest into knowledge skills. I can assist with a crossbow while not really focussing all my performance boni on myself.
    Last edited by Spore; 2018-12-06 at 08:23 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

I would like to switch the following things after the battle:

1) Go to Archivist from Archaeologist. I understand that inspire courage is an easy-to-use bonus that is always good, but Archivist fits the fluff better. It even has the rogue's trapfinding built in, even though it's second level.

2) Switch traits from Fate's Favored and Trapfinder to Adopted (Gnome): Helpful (+4 to aid another) and Dangerously Curious (+1 to Use Magic Device, I WANT to use that skill very liberally once i've reached Lv 3+ and can safely activate those items).

3) Switch feat from Lingering Performance to Extra Performance (to prepare for Master Performer with the request to allow this to refluffed for my academy and my style of performance).

This way I retain the curious adventurer type scholar, but I can help others with their combat, I have a crunch reason to heavily invest into knowledge skills. I can assist with a crossbow while not really focussing all my performance boni on myself.
    This is all fine.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    ...Behind them were two bodies: one of a goblin, and one of a guard...
    The guard Aldern Foxglove was checking was this guy - he was guarding the gate when goblins attacked. He is not less concerned abot Justin, but Justin seems to be taken care of.

23. - Top - End - #53

BlackDragon

Oh right, small sized gear, I guess that probably includes the arrows, too. So Silna probably won't be converting those into crossbow bolts.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Someone should probably invite Lizuga along to Aldern's shin-dig.
    Semper ludens.

25. - Top - End - #55

BlackDragon

I'm good to skip to the morning. I guess we're going boar hunting?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Maybe I should put down my weapons and join Adelbert in a life of books, I think I've had like 2 decent attack rolls so far.

While I don't get spellstrike until next level, any chance there could be another touch cantrip I could get? I know arcane mark works but it just feels extra gamey because there is no reason to do it other than the extra attack. I know some of the "touch of" spells can be a bit much to add, but something like Cauterize? It is 3rd party, but its only 1 point of damage and stops them from bleeding.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    While I don't get spellstrike until next level, any chance there could be another touch cantrip I could get? I know arcane mark works but it just feels extra gamey because there is no reason to do it other than the extra attack. I know some of the "touch of" spells can be a bit much to add, but something like Cauterize? It is 3rd party, but its only 1 point of damage and stops them from bleeding.
    That would be fine.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Hi all.

Sorry for the quiet week, I had some work stuff crop up that kept me out of action. Boar hunting sounds good.

29. - Top - End - #59

BlackDragon

Did I miss something about another dwarf woman warrior?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

I should have gotten an AoO as well as the readied attack against the boar, but...it's a weird and counter-fictional rules corner, so i'm not gonna insist on it.
    Technically, yes, but for exactly these reasons (and partly because no AoO was pre-rolled) I had the boar stopped by the hit and then step-and-attack.