New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords OOC

I think we can assume we track the caravan down regardless on your stance towards my plan. Any other suggestions? Gotta use my expertise in deception somehow.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sporeegg View Post
    Adalbert checks the crates and barrels as far as they are able to be opened, then proceeds around the corner, checking any door in his way if it can be opened.
    The doors are locked. Are you going to pick them? Will write IC later today.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry all. I was sent to the states at relatively short notice. Then getting over some jet lag. Just catching up with all my games now
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Just fyi, he's used up his chances with me, he's being stabbed until one of us goes down. He shot at Adelbert, not just threatened.

Tie up with rope is now a part of grapple

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, Lizuga is leveled up, assuming high average HP. And ready to go, if it comes to that.
    Semper ludens.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Levelled up, gonna disguise myself as a goblin. It's gonna be hilarious. Still not enough skill points. As a player I know enough of goblin culture that I can assume the identity.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Silna's leveled up, but should we round up or down for the HP? Also, we should talk about how we want to handle crafting improvements into her crossbow. My goal remains to eventually mimic a composite (+3 Str) longbow, though I'm fine with keeping the range, critical range, etc. of the light crossbow. I'm looking for the increase to damage and the ability to fire rapidly.

Our previous conversation:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    DM, this is a question for as the campaign progresses, rather than affecting character creation. Would you allow Silna to craft her own improved, repeating crossbow (in time)? Basically, I like the aesthetics of her using a crossbow, but composite bows are better mechanically. So I'd pay the price for composite bows, and mechanically use composite bow stats, but fluff them as her tinkering with her crossbow to store more bolts, add a lever she can use to increase the tension (Str to damage), etc. As a weaponsmith, she's on a mission to make her crossbow as efficient and effective as a bow. Would you be okay with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    We'll have to do something about long craft times - maybe replace weekly craft rolls with same amount of work daily or something. But, yes, can be done, no objections.
    Some weapon statistics for comparison:
    Weapon Price Damage Load Speed
    Light Crossbow 35 gp 1d8 Move Action
    Heavy Crossbow 50 gp 1d10 Full-Round Action
    Repeating Light Crossbow 250 gp 1d8 Free Action; Reload 5 bolts as Full-Round Action
    Repeating Heavy Crossbow 400 gp 1d10 Free Action; Reload 5 bolts as Full-Round Action
    Shortbow 30 gp 1d6 Free Action
    Composite (+0 Str) Shortbow 75 gp 1d6 Free Action
    Composite (+1 Str) Shortbow 150 gp 1d6+1 Free Action
    Composite (+3 Str) Shortbow 300 gp 1d6+3 Free Action
    Longbow 75 gp 1d8 Free Action
    Composite (+0 Str) Longbow 100 gp 1d8 Free Action
    Composite (+1 Str) Longbow 200 gp 1d8+1 Free Action
    Composite (+3 Str) Longbow 400 gp 1d8+3 Free Action

Again, I'm not trying to attempt anything to break the game—as a ranger, Silna already has proficiency with bows, which offer exactly what she wants as-is. I just like the aesthetics of a crossbow more for the dwarf, and I like the concept that she's tinkering to improve her weapon gradually. And now that she has Rapid Shot, the crossbow will start to be a barrier to her effectiveness in combat. So I'd like to aim to acquire these features, in order, to what is currently her light crossbow (35 gp price):

• Simple Repeating Feature (load 2 bolts as a move action) — strictly worse than a longbow still, so maybe 50 gp to accomplish?
    • +1 Str to damage — similar to a composite (+1 Str) bow, so 100 gp to accomplish?
    • Repeating Upgrade (load 4 bolts as a move action) — still worse than a bow, but let's say 50 gp to accomplish?
    • Repeating Upgrade (load 4 bolts as a swift action) — still technically worse, but practically the same since I won't use my swift actions otherwise, say 50 gp?
    • +2 Str to damage — 75 gp?
    • +3 Str to damage — 75 gp?
    • Repeating Upgrade (load 2 more bolts per upgrade) — 50 gp each time?

So it would cost 35+50+100+50+50+75+75= 435 gp for a crossbow that deals 1d8+3 damage and loads 4 bolts as a swift action. That's more expensive than a repeating heavy crossbow or a composite (+3 Str) longbow, but it's also piecemeal upgrades instead of buying a new weapon.

Looking at the crafting rules, I'd guess it'll be DC 15 for the first upgrade, DC 17 for the upgrades starting with +1 Str, DC 19 for +2 Str, and DC 21 for the upgrades starting with +3 Str. I could either use the progress-by-the-day option, or we could use the weekly results as daily results like you specified (maybe the former for spending part of a day tinkering on it, and the latter if I dedicate a whole day to crafting?). So each upgrade would require 1/3 its cost in raw materials, which are ruined if she fails a craft check by 5 or more.

So, how does all that sound? I tried to put this work together fairly and transparently so you could quickly make a ruling, but it's your game, and I have no problem with you making different decisions. I'm mostly concerned with getting that first upgrade in pretty quickly.
    My 5e Monster Repository (a modest collection)
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monster treasure — CR2 × tier gp

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

Right now my plan is to go on vacation Sunday until the 19th. Given the winter storm that might change, but assuming I get to go I'll be limited in posting. I can still check in, but not as much. I'll try to get the level updated before I leave but that might not happen.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

We'll use average hit points, rounded up on even levels and down on odd levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Squirrel View Post
    My goal remains to eventually mimic a composite (+3 Str) longbow, though I'm fine with keeping the range, critical range, etc. of the light crossbow. ... So, how does all that sound? I tried to put this work together fairly and transparently so you could quickly make a ruling, but it's your game, and I have no problem with you making different decisions. I'm mostly concerned with getting that first upgrade in pretty quickly.
    That is all fine as far as goals and costs are concerned. As for the time, there should be enough time for crafting after book one (so, after Thistletop, at about 4th level), but not so sure about getting repeating before that without a deliberate delay, unless we assume that Silna's already working on it for some time.

There is enough of goblin garb upstairs, so Silna and Adalbert can complete the disguise in about ten minutes while also teaching and lerning some phrases in Goblin. Anyone doing anything else during that time?
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-02-09 at 01:13 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga is going to find and then guard the passage.

Will our bard have any spells or performance rounds going forward, or do we need to jeopardize the timetable with an 8 hour rest?
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

If they're going to head back upstairs I think the rest of us should at least check the other rooms up there.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    Will our bard have any spells or performance rounds going forward, or do we need to jeopardize the timetable with an 8 hour rest?
    I think a rest would just push the DCs for my bluff a bit into new heights with the goblins becoming antsy. But I don't know you guys' ressources. How are you looking?

13. - Top - End - #133

BlackDragon

We should cut off some goblin ears and also tell Ameiko about Lonjiku's death.
    5e Quick, ad-hoc task DCs — Simple: 8 | Normal: 13 | Challenging: 18 | Formidable: 23
    5e Quick, ad-hoc monsters — AC: 12 + level/2 | HP: 10 × level | To-Hit: 2 + level/2 | DPR: 4 × level
    1 monster v. 1 PC; for 4 v. 1 Solos — +2 to AC & To-Hit | HP: 25 × level | DPR: 10 × level

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

I was thinking we would leave it to Justin to tell her that, though I would like to know if she knew or at very least what she knew about his part in it. But it seems like something Justin should do so I wanted to wait.

Forgot about the ears.

I'm also of the opinion that we should keep going rather than resting at this point, I think we're still early in the day. Although if we find this is leading us out of town and into the wilds we should then wait because I don't think we've even had a chance to pick up our provision, that Adalbert suggested, with the note from the Mayor.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga is entirely good to go, but not impatient to do so.
    Semper ludens.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

My character sheet should be fully updated to level 2. I picked Deadeye's Arrow and Expeditious Retreat as my free spells learned. HPs are now 20 (was 13, 5 for level, +2 for con) and FC bonus to SP.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

I'm moving this weekend, so I'll be posting less for the next 10 days or so (not completely offline, just less active). So Lizuga will be going along with whatever the party does.
    Semper ludens.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Roger that. Maybe we'll have this game in slo-mo for some time, plot-wise.

Also, father Tobyn is, like, five years dead (and has his bones stolen). The current priest is father Abstalar Zantus.
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-02-12 at 09:24 AM.

19. - Top - End - #139

BlackDragon

This week is also quite busy on my end, so I might be going a couple days between posts as well.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    Roger that. Maybe we'll have this game in slo-mo for some time, plot-wise.

Also, father Tobyn is, like, five years dead (and has his bones stolen). The current priest is father Abstalar Zantus.
    Cut Adalbert some slack here, he saw war crimes first hand for the first time. Also yeah, sorry for that.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the slow posting recently. I'm in a manufacturing validation campaign so on 24/7 call at the moment (as they call often i've just been busy).
    Should end in a few weeks and then Justin will post more often,

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

Boxes and furniture everywhere, and some stuff left to go back for, but my laptop is fine. But I would still like someone else to be party whip for a while.

Let's take the tunnel.
    Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Know Religion: (1d20+7)[13]

what IS this thing? I assume undead.

24. - Top - End - #144

BlackDragon

Rolling for Silna's Linguistics: (1d20+1)[14]

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Linguistics: (1d20+6)[20]

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

...Lizuga is really not the Scholar of the party.
    Semper ludens.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

I have an all around bad feeling about this. But I am so damn curious!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Erloas View Post
    Be cautious Adalbert, I don't think most aberrations are friendly. Don't get out of sight of the rest of us. With that said Lebwen follows behind but moves up a bit closer, maybe 15 feet behind them.
    Won't work. I'll write IC after Justin's, but can say it would be like follows:
    Diplomacy 15 to follow Adalbert (or come with him), one unarmed person
    Diplomacy 20 to follow Adalbert (or come with him), one armed person, or unarmed party
    Stealth ??? to follow Adalbert (not sure how you deal with the light), but nowhere close to 15 feet
    Otherwise, you will be pointed to wait in that specific cave or just go away, for now, patiently

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

Justin was going to stick with the bulk of the party. Realistically waiting for Adalabert's screams before running in to the rescue!

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

The party has +2 [morale] to attack and damage for the first round from Encouraging Roar.
    Semper ludens.