Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 450 of 1020
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Think that thing can just stay invisible forever or you think it can only stay invisible for a little while? I think we put a couple covers on this one, toss the dead goblin on top so it can't push the covers off and look around a bit more. Once we're sure we don't have any more surprised waiting for us we can remove the cover and see what happened or just leave the annoying little thing there to rot."

  2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Some creatures like fey have an innate ability to become invisible. I assume this one is not different because when you try it as a practicioner of arcane magic it is not layman's feat to become invisible and it just did so much while invisible. Adalbert lectures. Though most creatures need to breathe. We could make it unconscious with a bit of smoke if we tossed a fire source down there.

  3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lizuga gets out her backpack. She produces an iron bot, and tosses in a handful of lit candles. A scrap of cloth from the dead goblin to wick it. And - with a sour look on her face - bits of flesh and bone to make the smoke thick and cloying. As the pot starts smoking merrily, she motions to one of the others to get the cover, then tosses down the burning, smoking pot.
    Semper ludens.

  4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    You shift the pit's cover, throw down the burning pot, then quickly shift the cover back in place. The pit starts to fill with smoke, but soon the process ceases. A quick peek confirms the pot lying on the pit's stone floor upside down and apparently no longer burning.

  5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lets check out this next hallway and see what else we can see. With some weight on the lid I don't think its going to go anywhere and we don't really have any way of dealing with that thing right now anyway. Maybe we'll find something that will help, or maybe we just leave it there.

  6. - Top - End - #426
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Yea, I agree.

  7. - Top - End - #427
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    You pile a few more covers over the pit where you have trapped the flyer. On top of them you put the deformed goblin's corpse. The pits from which you remove the covers all contain one zombie each. The zombies shamble about and occasionally moan, but do not seem to be able to get out of the pits even with the covers removed.

    You move south along the corridor leading out of the room. On the east side, it is connected to spiral stairway leading down, but blocked by a lot of heavy stone rubble and seems impassable without a major excavation. To the south, the corridor ends with a door. A quick check finds nothing suspicious. You open the door. Behind it is a strange room that is a fifteen-foot-diameter sphere. Several objects float in the room, spinning lazily in space - a ragged book, a scroll, a bottle of wine, a dead raven surroun ded by a halo of floating and writhing maggots, and a twisted iron wand with a forked tip. Yet perhaps the most unnerving aspect of the room is the walls, for they are plated in sheets of strange red metal that ripple every once in a while with silent black electricity that seems to coalesce into strange runes or even words far too often for the effect to be chance.

    Spoiler
    Show

  8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "I.... have no idea", Lizuga says, staring at the floating objects. "Dead crow, that one I don't want."
    Semper ludens.

  9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    After looking a the room for a bit Lebwen says "Well if the maggots are alive then it probably isn't directly deadly... What do you see for magic Adelbert?" Coming up with an idea Lebwen goes back into the last room and finds or breaks off a couple pieces of wood from one of the covers they hadn't moved and heads back to the room. The first small piece he tosses into the room. Assuming nothing drastic happens with that, he'll take a longer piece of wood and poke it into the room, trying to feel for any sort of magical interface or barrier between what's causing the items to float and the outside.

  10. - Top - End - #430
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Uhm. You know when you inspect a thing that you should probably not investigate? I get that feeling here too but I can't not look at it. If I start screaming because of the pure arcane essence burning my eyes, please drag me away from it, okay?

    Adalbert casts Detect Magic.

  11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Lebwen comes back with some pieces of wood. The one thrown into the room seem to float in the air along the other stuff in there. The one thrust into the room seems to gradually lose weight as it's put further, then exert a very light pull towards the room's center.

    Adalbert detects magic on and in the room. He senses three auras. One, the school of which Adalbert couldn't immediately determine, on the room itself, another, a faint evocation aura, on the wand, and a third faint aura on the scroll. Seeng that nothing awful seems to happen to Lebwen or his pieces of wood, Adalbert touches the spherical room's "floor" nearest to the entrance and tries to analyze it's magic further. He identifies it as some sort of levitation effect on the room, directed at it's center. The strange lightnings on its walls seem to be just a peculiar quirk and seem mostly harmles, at least to those not trying to stick to the walls.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Arcana) vs room: (1d20+7)[15]
    Knowledge (Arcana) vs wand: (1d20+7)[17]
    Knowledge (Arcana) vs scroll: (1d20+7)[13]
    Spellcraft vs room: (1d20+6)[26]
    Last edited by u-b; 2019-05-11 at 03:55 AM.

  12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Hmm, I have an idea. Can I borrow that horsechopper and rope for a minute?" Lebwen asks, then once he has the items he sets to work. Tying the rope to the hook on the horsechopper and then ties a small loop on the end of the rope right by the end. Then feeding the rope through the loop and down the shaft, making a loop about a foot wide that can be pulled closed by pulling on the end of the rope. After a couple tests to make sure it is closes and then pulling the loop back open he tries to catch something floating in the room. Starting with the book or wine bottle, whichever floats into range first.

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    Not sure what skills would be used to make that, seems like relatively simple knots. I would think either fisherman or sailor (both skills are 5) would give me some reasonable knots to use.

    The reach of the horsechopper should let me reach a fair way into the area without having to enter it myself.

    make the device
    (1d20+5)[18]

    try to catch an item (going to assume dex)
    (1d20)[7]


  13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    With the tool Lebwen has made, he's easily able to catch the bottle of wine and the wand. The book was more tricky to catch in the loop and went spinning away after his first attempt. It took some time and several attempts to finally get it. Then, with a few more attempts, you fish out the folded scroll. Assuming you left out the dead raven.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot about the scroll in #431. It's also shines magical. Edited it there. The book, though, is not magical.

    Want to examine what you have found?

  14. - Top - End - #434
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Yeah, let me have a look. And to be fair, the raven is kind of peculiar. Could you pick it up as well?

  15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Alright, I can fish that out too if you think it is of any interest.
    This book in an ancient language as well?

    Depending what you can make out of all of this, maybe we should head back to town and see if someone can tell us anything more about what we've found. It doesn't like the glass foundry wouldn't have known something was down here, but there seems to be enough down here for there to at least be rumors. Clearly at least a few people in Justin's family had some idea about it.

    In general though I'm still not sure how this is connected to the goblin attack. The one goblin we did see seemed to be an experiment rather than any sort of leader. The creatures were clearly not in control. The little flying thing, while by far the most intelligent of the group, didn't exactly seem like the leader type either. Speaking of which... do we try to catch that thing or just leave it down the pit? If we had some sort of net we might catch it, but swinging at something that can turn invisible and turns aside arrows doesn't seem like its going to accomplish much.
    "

  16. - Top - End - #436
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Of course! If I am to understand this whole complex's purpose, I need the book and rid of the what I assume to be some wizard familiar. Adalbert thinks silently for a bit. Although this could mean the wizard that bonded with that thing is still alive.

  17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Adalbert closely examines the findings, including dead raven that Lebwen fishes for him. The raven seems to be dead for maybe a week or two, stinky, partially eaten by maggots, and about as worthless as a dead raven could be. Adalbert puts it down.

    The book interests him much more. He could not make out the meaning of the texts, because he does not speak the language, but is able to recognize the alphabet: it's Abyssal. The book has many pictures, though, which are all pretty disturbing, depicting some of the world's most horrific and cruel monsters killing their natural prey, which is, more often than not, some sentient beings. Also, in several places through the book, appears a rune Adalbert is certain he recognizes: the demonic rune of Lamashtu, formerly a demon lord who then achieved godhood, the mother and patroness of many misshapen and malformed creatures. The book seems well-read and not on the most popular topic, but has much scientifical an historical value and could be sold for about 100 gold pieces, if you put it for sale.

    The wand seems to be a spell wand of something simple, but Adalbert could not determine which. The scroll seems to contain some first-level arcane spell. Adalbert takes time to decipher it using Read Magic and determines that it is of Burning Hands, caster level 3.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft vs scroll: (1d20+6)[16]
    Spellcraft vs wand: (1d20+6)[10]
    Linguistics vs book: (1d20+6)[16]
    Religion vs book: (1d20+7)[25]
    Appraise vs book: (1d20+6)[24]
    Appraise vs dead raven: (1d20+6)[9]


  18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    THe whole experience with the tomb of strange ancient magic, pools of liquid anger, stange spawn of some kind and flying demons has clearly shaken. The young man follows the others quietly, a hand resting on Lizuga's shoulder for a moment as he feels her magic take hold and recover his wounds. With most of the damage from the odd mutated goblin and the fall into the zombie pit healed he is more or less intact bar the scratches and ripped clothing over his armour.

    He looks about at the strange room of floating objects, "You're right Adalbert, I do not what Tsusto unleashed here but if even only a fraction of the magic here is released I fear for the safety and peace of Sandpoint." Watching Lebwen he grins at the magus, "A strange type of fishing you are doing there eh?" and looks with interest at the items they've manged to snare. As they discuss what to do next Justin nods, "We are all wounded and hurt. Why don't we add some more things to securely contain that small beast and return to the town. We could speak with Father Zantus or Mayor Kendra to get some help killing that flying thing or putting those zombies out of their misery."

    He also looks at the others and nos at Lebwen's mention of his family. "We can check on Aunt Ameiko and see what esle she knows."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Mind if I take a look at the wand for a minute? Maybe something I've come across more" After examining it for a minute Lebwen hands it back to Adalbert.

    "Do you think it is worth it to get some bottles from the glass works for some samples of the various pools down here or do you think it's safe enough to bring down the scholars to check it out directly?

    Lets get back and get some food and a bit of rest either way."
    When the group heads out Lebwen double checks the corpses, making sure to pick up anything that might have been missed in our haste earlier.

  20. - Top - End - #440
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    There is only one scholar in town and I don't think he likes to leave his house very often. Though with a bit of convincing and a guard by the mayor, I assume he can make an exception. Thassilonian ruins are no surprise here but active magic so old is a cause for research - and worry.

  21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "I wonder where my hammer went off to", Lizuga says. The topic of scholars and research is not her forté.
    Semper ludens.

  22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin pats Lizuga on the back. "I'm sorry about the hammer. But we've found some stuff so I'm sure you could get another one?"

    Looking up at the others. "Come on, we can seal that flying thing in then head out. The mayor of Zantus can help. I'd rather we not touch those strange pools."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  23. - Top - End - #443
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    I hope said hammer was not an important heirloom because I haven't seen it anywhere here.

  24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    u-b's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "We did not open the last door behind the flying head. That's in the direction this little thingie went when it stole your hammer, so maybe it's there." observes Silna.

    You pick up all the valuable stuff and head back to the Glassworks. On your way out, Lizuga takes time to blast most of the zombies truly dead with her light ray, then you check the door Silna mentioned and find there a lucerne hammer, along with a spiral stairway leading up, blocked by a lot of collapsed stone. As you pass the slightly rippling pool with the dead formrely flying head, you notice that the water is too clear for something that should have been contaminated with blood. You take note of the fact, but continue on.

    When you are back to Glassworks' basement, you find there a tied-up goblin guarded by one of town guards. The guard sees you and runs up. Soon he is back, accompanied by sheriff Belor Hemlock and the place's apparent new owner Ameiko Kaijitsu. "Oh, my! Are you all right? What happened? More goblins under the town?" exclaim they interrupring one another. Learning that no urgent action is required, the sheriff points at the goblin. "Found this guy hiding under a turned upside-down wheelbarrow. Might be worth questioning. Also, and most importantly, we've checked the desk here in the basement and found this." He hands you a small, leather-bound booklet. When examined, the booklet seem to contain two dozen parchment pages, most of which are filled with maps of Sandpoint or erotic drawings of some young woman. The maps each depict different attack plans. The first set shows the attack plans for a group of 3o goblins - one of these battle maps is circled, and you recognize it as the attack the goblins made on Sandpoint. Of more pressing concern are the next several pages, which illustrate an assault on Sandpoint by a force of what appears to be 200 goblins. None of these are circled, but while many are scratched out, a few remain.

    Spoiler: Tsuto's Journal
    Show
    The pages of particular interest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've put the full map in #427, because there is no remaining opposition and I didn't expect to actually play through the rest of the exploration, but you haven't checked B5, and when you do, whoa!, there's your hammer.

  25. - Top - End - #445
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    This is quite concerning to say the least. Adalbert adds after reading the diary. It appears they want to summon some sort of demon with the blessing of Lamashtu, the Demon Queen. I assume in this case a burning Sandpoint would be the sacrifice, its dying inhabitants powering the ritual. Keep in mind, this is all just guess work. The attack points are in the north east, so we should check there. But first let's get you a better armor, Lebwen, and take the magic sword. As far as I have read about the blade dancing techniques you should be able to infuse a magical weapon with effects other than guiding your strikes.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I suggest investing into Lebwen because the +1 Longsword allows him to apply Flaming/Frost/Shock and other nifty Prefixes to his weapon, and he kind of needs the armor granted by a chain shirt too (plus its only 100 gp). Maybe even be so careful and prepare Shield for the next day but most of that is your call really. Lizuga and Justin seem capable enough, Adalbert is a buffer in combat and requires the least amount of gear.

    It's a fifth level feature, ignore me.

    Of course MW or +1 weapons would be smart for everyone but alas, we are not made of money.

  26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Erloas's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    So we have a direct and large scale attack planned on the city soon. We have taken out part of the leadership of the group, but clearly not all of it. While some clearly have access to town, we can be pretty sure a bugbear wandering through town would cause some notice. We should see if that scout showed up, see if she* knows where the Thistletop goblins are. We also have two names, Ripnugget and Bruthazmus the bugbear. Being that the quasit is clearly involved in this, I think the first thing we should do is find someone that knows a bit more about what they can do then find a way to capture it. We might be able to just get a net, put it over the pit and capture it, but I don't know what other little tricks it might have. At very least we need to bar the door in the basement and make sure no one can get in or out until we capture or kill that thing.

    As for the gear we've found, I would be happy to take the goblin's sword, but I've already got the magic ring and don't want to take more than my fair share. Not sure what all we've picked up otherwise
    .

    Spoiler: OOC
    Show

    I had looked over the map last night and said to myself "we didn't look in that little room past the flying head" then said, well its 2 am, I'll post that in the morning. I missed my chance

    *I think it was a she...

  27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    Justin

    Justin sees Ameiko and runs up the last few stairs embracing her briefly. "I'm glad you are feeling better auntie." He gestures at the stone stairs, "Its so strange in there. Sheriff, we need some more guards. There is a small flying demon thing we trapped and we may need some help." He gestures at his ragged clothes and ripped armour. "Its been a trying few hours exploring down here."

    Coughing, he looks around looking for a waterskin to borrow and have a drink. He looks at the halfling and Lebwen and nods. "The attack must be stopped. If we know where they are coming from we need to head out and stop them. If we can kill the chiefs or Tsuto's lady friend then we may avert the attack." He grins at the others, "But first maybe a rest, regroup and get some bigger and stronger arms and armour."
    Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

  28. - Top - End - #448
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    The quasit is integral to our intelligence gathering though I don't assume any threat of pain or killing will make it talk.

  29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    CasualViking's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Denmark
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    "Well, I could do with a backup weapon, and a bit more armor. And I don't know if steel is going to be enough against what we will be facing. It didn't seem to do much to the flying demon."
    Semper ludens.

  30. - Top - End - #450
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Spore's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2013

    Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

    In the tales of old, silver and blessed weapons do the trick. Maybe Father Zantus can help us out. But first and foremost I would guide our concerns towards goblins and hobgoblins.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on both races resulting in 17, hopefully gives me a bit of insight in how both races do large scale warfare. I assume they use the goblins as kind of a wave of disposable grunts before the actual coordinated hobgolin army attacks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •