New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1480
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Rise of the Runelords IC

Adalbert tries to run down the stairs past the yeth hound, but does not manage to avoid the bite. Having taken a wound for 10 damage, he falls down on the stairs, still clutching the shining bolt and the potion. Shalelu nods and makes a step back from Nualia to have some range for her bow which she has at the ready.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeth hound bite AoO: (1d20+7)[20] for (2d6+4)[10] trip (1d20+7)[15] and will DC 14 or shaken for 1 round
    Adalbert will: (1d20+3)[16]

=> Justin

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Titan in the Playground

Justin

The young guard glances down the stairs and looks at the halfling, "Go and get Lebwen, I'll get the dog!" He darts to the top of the stairs, sword driving out towards the floating hound forcing him to stretch to the edge of his reach

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Move and attack the hound (1d20+8)[18] dam (2d6+6)[14]
    Immediate of attacked bloody riposte (1d20+8)[11] Dam (4d6+6)[17]

Thanks to Emperor Ing for the nice Avatar

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Justin follows the bends of the corridor until he is face to face with the yeth hound. He makes a swing with the hand axe and hits the hound near its shoulder for 9 damage. The hound fights back, shifting the attention from Adalbert to Justin, and bites the man in the arm for 7 damage, dragging him to the floor next to the halfling. Being yanked by the same arm Justin intended to use for a counterattack totally ruins the maneuver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeth hound bite: (1d20+7)[19] for (2d6+4)[7] trip (1d20+7)[17] and will DC 14 or shaken for 1 round
    Justin will: (1d20+3)[5]

Adalbert is prone on the steps in AW40, with the hound hovering closely above him. Justin is prone and shaken.

=> Party

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    AC 13 (+4 counter), Touch 11, FF 12, CMD 17|Fort +4 Ref +2 Will +6|HP: 24/24

Lizuga briefly locks eyes with Shalelu, the hurries into the corridor, picks up her halberd, and strikes the flying hound hard with a lunging strike.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Swift action to change to Phalanx Lancer stance. Free action to pick up my halberd along the way where I left it (free from Phalanx Lancer Stance). Move to AX 42 (really enjoying not having any armor here). Piercing Strike at the hound. Attack (cover not included) (1d20+6)[22], damage (1d10+4)[5]+(1d6)[5] (cold iron)
    Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Encouraging Roar, Curate's Strike, Piercing Strike.
    Triage: 0/3
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-03-02 at 03:16 AM.
    Semper ludens.

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Titan in the Playground

In pain, Adalbert drops his bolt. He draws his dagger. Mistake, puppy. Adalbert shouts, stabbing the fiend in its belly.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am prone and meleeing but if the DM gods are in my favor, maybe it counts as flatfooted at least?

(1d20-2)[15]
    (1d3-1)[0]

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"Here, get back!" Iris grabs Justin and yanks him out of the way, weapon raised to ward off the hell hound.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Standard: Switch teamwork feat (Friendly Fire Maneuvers -> Swap Places)
    Move: Swap Places. Move to AX40. (Cover so no AoO? Justin to AX41 as immediate, no AoO).

Immediate: Adoration sanctuary (Will DC13) if attacked
    Immediate: Agent of Chance (adjacent ally to reroll a skill check)

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Titan in the Playground

Justin

Bleeding from the hound's bite Justin rolls backwards as Iris steps over him. Leaping to his feet he pats Iris on the shoulder, a brief, "Thank you" before he lunges upwards trying pierce the yeth hound

Show

Stand up safely
    Piercing strike up to the dog with 15ft reach
    (1d20+8)[10] dam (2d6+6)[15]

Edit: damn. Why cannot the dice roller manage a number higher than 10
    Last edited by DrK; 2020-03-10 at 01:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Ettin in the Playground

Lizuga moves into the corridor and lunges at the hound, striking it in the chest for 5 damage. Adalbert hits the hound from below for no apparent effect - there is not even a drop of blood on the dagger. Iris repositions herself and Justin at the same time. Justin stands up and hits real hard. Not the hound, but the interfering corner will surely remember this strike.

The hound bites Iris in an arm for 7 damage, but, trying as it could, fails to shake the woman one way or another.

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeth hound will: (1d20+6)[16] - overcomes the sanctuary
    Yeth hound bite: (1d20+7)[26] for (2d6+4)[7] trip (1d20+7)[14] and will DC 14 or shaken for 1 round
    Iris will: (1d20+4)[16] - success

Adalbert is still prone in AW40 under the hound.

=> Party

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert looks at his dagger in disbelief. He then remembers the extraordinary resistances of extraplanar beings. He crawls west and stands up.

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    AC 13 (+4 counter), Touch 11, FF 12, CMD 17|Fort +4 Ref +2+1 Will +6+1|HP: 24/24

"FOR LEBWEN!!". Lizuga yells another battlecry and burns the hound with a ray of sunlight.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Swift action: Encouraging Roar. Standard action Curate's Strike as a ranged attack ranged touch - (1d20+4)[20] (includes -4 from not having Precise Shot), force damage - (1d6+5)[10].
    Maneuvers readied: Oaken Shield, Encouraging Roar, Curate's Strike, Piercing Strike.
    Triage: 0/3
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-03-10 at 06:03 PM.
    Semper ludens.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Adalbert stands up on the stair past the yeth hound, deftly avoiding its bite. A moment later a ray of sunlight blasts the hound out of consciousness. Those of you who run past to help Lebwen soon notice that there's no body where you have left him. The portcullises are raised. The floor tile between them shows clear signs of bloody body being dragged west, but the next tile to the west does not show any signs of such a body being dragged onto it. What now?

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeth hound AoO: (1d20+7)[11] for (2d6+4)[10] trip (1d20+7)[24] and will DC 14 or shaken for 1 round

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Titan in the Playground

What trickery is this? Adalbert casts Detect Magic, suspicious whether this could be illusion magic, and pats the ground where the blood trail ends.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ettin in the Playground

The floor does not seem to be magical, neither before nor after the line where the trail of blood ends abruptly. What is more, there is a narrow gap in the stone surface of the floor, which Adalbert identifies as marking the boundary of a pressure plate. He can sense some magic some 10 feet down below the plate, namely two faint auras: one of Evocation and the other of some other school which Adalbert fails to determine. This certainly means that the pressure plate is less than one foot thick and has some space down below it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Adalbert perception: (1d20+3)[20]
    Adalbert know (arcana): (1d20+7)[25]
    Adalbert know (arcana): (1d20+7)[15]

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu
    AC 13 (+4 counter), Touch 11, FF 12, CMD 17|Fort +4 Ref +2+1 Will +6+1|HP: 24/24

Lizuga takes the time to ensure that the hound is properly dead. The head doesn't come off easily, but Mama Manescu's girl is no stranger to hard work, and eventually, she chops through the neck.

She goes to join Adalbert.

"Should I try stepping on it?", she suggests.
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2020-03-12 at 09:38 AM.
    Semper ludens.

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

"Aagh!" cries Iris as the hound savages at her arm, only for it to be blasted off by Lizuga. "Thanks" she gasps the injury thankfully not too bad.

She follows Adalbert and Lizuga downstairs quickly pausing to pick up her discarded bow when she sees it.

"Careful there. I saw a pit or a trapdoor there before. Lebwen could be down there. And watch out for those statues too."

Spoiler: Move
    Show
    Move through trapped area E3 to the intersection south of room E4

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Titan in the Playground

Already on it. This is a pressure plate. The next tile is thin. I can sense the magic from under there. It is clearly an energy spell and....something different. i assume a magic trap.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disable Device (1d20+8)[26]
    +1 because I take the buckler off for the procedure.
    +4 if it is a magical trap.
    +2 due to masterwork tools.

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris jumps over the pressure plate and heads to the corridor intersection south of the round room illuminated by the flaming skulls. Wide stone ledges of red marble line the curving walls of the room to the north, which is well lit by four burning skulls that sit in each corner. Three chairs rest in the room, and both stone ledges are covered with old books, scrolls, teeth, bones, scrimshaw artwork, jars of deformed creatures soaking in brine, taxidermied animals and limbs, and other strange objects. To the north, a large round fountain filled with frothy blue water fills the room with the gentle sound of bubbling.

In one of the gaps around the trap door, Adalbert finds what he thinks is a maintenance switch for the trap, which lets him open the trap door without triggering the falling portcullises or slashing statues. Below the trap door is a ten-foot deep pit where Lebwen's body is lying. The magic, as Albert sees, radiates from his sword and his ring, the trap is completely non-magical.

Spoiler
    Show
    Upon closer examination Lebwen will turn out to be alive at -8/26. In other news, everyone else have been completely healed by now and fast healing has ended. In yet other news, welcome to level 4! You get everything, but newly gained maneuvers and spell slots are not yet prepared for use.

Last edited by u-b; 2020-03-15 at 06:11 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

Justen

Leaping by Iris Justen watches as Luzuga finishes the savage looking Yeth hound. He joins the others in racing down stairs "Lebwen, shout out, we'll find you..."

His call goes unanswered but then he finds Iris and the body of Lebwen. Thankfully still breathing! "Luzuga, can you help him?"

Show

Level 4, excellent news

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

Lizuga rushes up to the pit and jumps into it, rushing to bind Lebwen's wounds and save his life.
    Semper ludens.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

By the gods, Lebwen. Adalbert's heart sinks. Before he can act, Lizuga is already down the hole. To aid her, he illuminates the area by casting light on an individual wall brick.

Please, save him. he whimpers. The last encounter has taken the rest of his resolve.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ettin in the Playground

It takes some time, but Lizuga carefully and competently bandages the man's wounds. After some smelling salt being waved under his nose, the man opens his eyes. He is still in pretty bad shape, but at least is alive and is in a condition to contemplate his recent experiences.

Spoiler
    Show
    Erloas, please report in and participate in getting Lebwen out of the pit by whatever method you together devise.

Adalbert is pretty sure he can make the pit cover closed afterwards with the whole trap set to "off" mode, using another position of the same maintenance switch, if so desired.
    Last edited by u-b; 2020-03-17 at 11:40 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

"Look out up there!"

A halberd sails through the air up from the pit, bouncing and clattering before resting on the floor. It is followed in short order by a shield, and a heavy backpack.

"There's a rope in there. Get it fixed somewhere solid. Lizuga-solid please, not Adalbert-solid."

Semper ludens.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Lebwen groans as he regains consciousness and seeing Lizuga says "I hurt everywhere, how long have I been out and how did I end up in this pit?"
    Slowly getting up with some help he pulls off his backpack and hands it to Lizuga to toss up, then his weapon. Once those are up he grabs the rope and climbs out.
    Seeing Adalbert he says "ah, looks like you made it out better than I did. Did you manage to stab that lady for me?"

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

No. We detained her. She should be upstairs. Adalbert responds in unusually short and precise statements. He then offers the last potion to Lebwen. If you're not drinking it immediately, at least take it. We almost lost you, I do not intend on repeating that.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Titan in the Playground

Justen

Justen reaches the bag and pulls out the rope. Tieing it around a stout object he kicks the roll down into the pit. "Tie Lebwen to the rope, we'll pull him out first?"

Looking at Lebwen he grins, "Glad to have you back. We stopped her and her hound. Don't worry." Leaning back he offers some of the length of the rope to Iris and Adalbert as well to help pull Lebwen and then Lizuga up.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Adalbert takes the rope and tries to help his best. If we can get our lever elevated we will have a much better force to weight ratio. Adalbert advises. He then realized this is basic grunt work, and just pulls.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[17]

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Troll in the Playground

Lizuga Manescu

Once out of the pit, Lizuga looks around for her hammer. It should be around here somewhere.

"So", she sighs. "The evil priestess surrendered. Not that she had much of a choice, she was just about to keel over on her own accord. But i doubt that she is going to change her ways much. I say we offer her the opportunity to renounce her evil ways and start working off the hurt she caused. Or we offer her the chance for a few final words before she gets the sword. Or we can take her back to Sandpoint to think about her decision".
    [/QUOTE]
    Semper ludens.

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

As the halfling hears Lizuga, he sighs. Let me talk to her. I know about her father, and consider myself calm enough to try and get through to her. The village lacks the full story, plus I assume her ultimate sentence will be death anyhow. We might as well get as much information out of her as possible. Then the mayor should deal with her. I need two of you with me though. even if she would be unable to set of her unholy prayers, she is a quite dangerous warrior.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

Iris

A sense of elation washes over Iris as she hears Lebwen's voice from below and her companions help to extract him. Guarding the intersection against further ambush, she casts a quick orison and scans the area that she can see.

"Shelyn's grace, it's good to see you Lebwen. Here let me help" she offers an arm for him to lean on as he recovers. "Looks like the sorceress' laboratory through there".

Spoiler: cast
    Show
    cast detect magic

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ettin in the Playground

You get Lebwen and Lizuga out of the pit. There is a lot of stuff in the room Iris is checking, but only the flaming skulls detect as magical.