New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Giant in the Playground Administrator

Exclamation 2019 OOTS Magic Item Calendar, Holiday Ornament, and New T-Shirts!

2018 Stick Tales Calendar

This year's Order of the Stick calendar is now available for pre-order. The theme this time around is Magic Items, with each picture showing characters getting their hands on some classic magic items, cursed and otherwise. Here's a cursed one, the Mirror of Opposition:

The calendar is the same 12" x 12" glossy full color affair as it has been in previous years, but it's also available as a digital edition. The digital edition is great if you just want to see the jokes and look at the art but don't need to actually hang it on your wall.

You can get the print version from Ookoodook and the digital edition from Gumroad.

In both cases, it's important to note that this is a pre-order at this time. The calendars are scheduled to arrive on December 10th at the Ookoodook warehouse and they'll jump into action to mail them out after that. But sometimes stuff gets delayed at the printer, so that date is not a solid promise on our part. It's our best guess. For those who buy digital copies, those will arrive in your email inbox on December 17th, one week later.

OK, now let's talk holiday ornaments and t-shirts. As usual, these are coming from our partners at CafePress, and here's what we've got that's new:

This year's Battle Ornament features Lien and Oona (and Lancer) in a recreation of their first encounter.

For those days when you're feeling like a 12-foot-tall vessel of celestial justice.

For those days when you're...not.

It's important to remember your place in the cosmos...

...and that the grim specter of noogies hangs over us all.

So don't take yourself too seriously.

We also have three new kids' shirts with Saha, Oona, and Sigdi:

And I've also redesigned most of the old kids' shirts to feature the current art designs, because no kid wants to be wearing art from before they were born. Here's three of them:

You can click on any of those images to be brought directly to that design, too.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Why should I pre-order rather than just waiting until the calendar is in stock?
    A: Pre-ordering lets me to judge how many copies I should print, and accurately estimating that is what allows me to produce a printed product at all. Even more so than with a book, I tend to order on the low side for calendars, simply because they become outdated very, very quickly. I'll have to place the order in the next few days, after I've seen the first round of sales, and as a result the calendar may very well sell out before it arrives in the warehouse. It happened the year before last! So if you want to be absolutely sure you get one on paper, the only way to do that is to pre-order.

Q: Why is the overseas shipping so expensive?
    A: Because overseas postage rates are expensive, and most of the companies you're thinking of that charge less have international warehouses they can ship from, or use bulk rate shippers due to the large volume of products sold. Ookoodook is a very small company that does not have those kinds of resources, so they have to bring them to the post office like everyone else. If the postage is too high for your budget, we suggest purchasing the digital edition, or coordinating with friends near you to ship together.

Q: Why are you delaying the PDFs until the 17th? Why can't I download it today?
    A: It's being delayed until the physical calendar is published so that some customers don't have to wait longer than other customers to read the jokes. We don't want some of our customers spoiling the others.

Q: Why would anyone want to pre-order a digital edition?
    A: Mostly so they can get it done and not have to worry about remembering to order on the 17th, and also so I can avoid people asking me whether or not I'm releasing it digitally. Feel free to wait until the 17th to order, if you'd prefer. Unlike with physical copies, it doesn't really affect my planning whether or not you pre-order the digital.

Q: Will you be donating any portion of the calendar purchase price to charity this year?
    A: Yes! For every calendar pre-ordered before December 7, we'll donate $2 to help the victims of the California wildfires. (We're still deciding which charities to support, but we'll probably pick 3-4 and spit it between them.)

Q: Will there be a holiday ornament and/or t-shirts from CafePress this year?
    A: Yes, I'm just running a little late on getting them posted. Check back later today; I'll update this thread when they're available.

Q: Can I get the holiday ornament and the calendar shipped together?
    A: No. The ornament and the calendar come from different vendors and cannot be combined in one shipment.

Q: Will there be a comic today?
    A: Yes. A little later.

Please Note: Don't clutter this thread asking questions that are already answered in the FAQ above, including questioning/complaining about the overseas shipping rate. Moderators may remove redundant questions or posts. Posters who derail this thread may be asked to stop posting in it.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

~~You can also support The Order of the Stick and the GITP forum at Patreon.~~

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 2019 OOTS Magic Item Calendar, now for Pre-Order (Ornament to come)

Also note that Gumroad is reeeeeeally slow today, probably because of "Cyber Monday." If you can't get through to make a purchase, try again later tonight or tomorrow.
    Rich Burlew

Now Available: 2023 OOTS Holiday Ornament plus a big pile of new t-shirt designs (that you can also get on mugs and stuff)!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I have an odd question that I hope isnt considered derailing: is there a reason the preview images for calendars typically aren't high enough resolution to read the speech balloons? Is it intentional to help prompt sales without giving away the full page in the preview, or just a graphical limitation on the site or images' end, or something you just don't really think about? I've tried rewriting this twice now to not sound accusatory, but just in case, this isn't supposed to be accusatory, and is just an honest question.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4

It would have to be full sized, 12" x 24", for it to really be legible, and that would not work out well within the forum post. It's much larger than a typical comic.
    Rich Burlew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So, this may be a silly question. Typically when I get the calendar, I hang it from a nail on the wall in my bedroom. Since the entire weight of the calendar is hanging on a single page, this tends to create a tear in the top, which gets perpetuated each month in the new page, since the old page isn't helping take the weight due to the tear. Thankfully it hasn't actually fallen off yet, although I suspect it might if I forgot to change it for a month. Is this normal for calendars hung from the little hole in the top? Is there anything I can do to stop this, besides not hanging it until april?
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

6. - Top - End - #6

No idea, but maybe if you hung it from something more like a push pin or hook, rather than a nail? Just guessing though.
    Rich Burlew

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    So, this may be a silly question. Typically when I get the calendar, I hang it from a nail on the wall in my bedroom. Since the entire weight of the calendar is hanging on a single page, this tends to create a tear in the top, which gets perpetuated each month in the new page, since the old page isn't helping take the weight due to the tear. Thankfully it hasn't actually fallen off yet, although I suspect it might if I forgot to change it for a month. Is this normal for calendars hung from the little hole in the top? Is there anything I can do to stop this, besides not hanging it until april?
    Found this that may help. The reinforcing ideas sound more annoying to do but likely look better than hanging it from a clip.

ETA: Direct link for reinforcement stickers
    Last edited by Peelee; 2018-11-26 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Fixed link.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Well, its not ideal, but it is a solution at least. Thanks!
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I just hang the front cover and any previous months together on the nail in my wall.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    I just hang the front cover and any previous months together on the nail in my wall.
    I do that as well, but has not prevented November from ripping and having to be fixed. But I too recommend the reinforcement stickers as the standard way to solve this issue. They even come in various sizes, so I found one that was about right for the hole in the calendar.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Hello!

Great news! I've thoroughly enjoyed my digital version of the OOTS calendars! However, I’d like to inform you that the “2014 OOTSCalendar DigitalEdition v1.pdf” ’s back cover is that of the “2015_OOTSCalendar_DigitalEdition_v1.pdf” one. Would you, please, send me / make available the correct back cover / calendar?

Roger_Druid

12. - Top - End - #12
    Colossus in the Playground

Thanks! Can’t wait to purchase this.

Actually I have a question: I purchased Good Deeds on gumroad and downloaded it as a guest. However, I had some computer trouble and lost the download I made. I can’t find the link to download my purchase on my email. How would I be able to download the PDF of this comic again without buying it again? I can send you a screenshot of the debit or credit card purchase so you can see I already bought it.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    Actually I have a question: I purchased Good Deeds on gumroad and downloaded it as a guest. However, I had some computer trouble and lost the download I made. I can’t find the link to download my purchase on my email. How would I be able to download the PDF of this comic again without buying it again? I can send you a screenshot of the debit or credit card purchase so you can see I already bought it.
    Even if you purchased it as a guest, you should be able to download it directly from Gumroad's site. Just make an account now, using the same email you used when you purchased it. Once you're logged in, you should be able to go to the Library link and everything you've ever bought with that email will magically be waiting there for you to download.

----

Also, I have now updated the first post with the holiday ornament and new t-shirt designs.
    Rich Burlew

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Even if you purchased it as a guest, you should be able to download it directly from Gumroad's site. Just make an account now, using the same email you used when you purchased it. Once you're logged in, you should be able to go to the Library link and everything you've ever bought with that email will magically be waiting there for you to download.

----

Also, I have now updated the first post with the holiday ornament and new t-shirt designs.
    Thanks! Hopefully that goes smoothly.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: 2019 OOTS Magic Item Calendar, Holiday Ornament, and New T-Shirts!

Very cool, ordered both.

16. - Top - End - #16

I also forgot to mention that Ookoodook has put a whole bunch of games on sale for 66% off if you use the code BLACKFRIDAY2018. I have no idea how long that's good for, but you can see what games qualify for the discount on this page:

https://www.ookoodook.com/collection...ck-friday-sale
    Rich Burlew

17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground

Great designs, Rich! Might get the "Learning is Happening!" one for my nephew.

Do you have any plans in the future to do more coffee mug designs? I suspect my significant other will be getting me the Redcloak "Revolution!" one for the holidays, but I'm still curious if any others are planned for a later date.

18. - Top - End - #18

By any chance, will there be a PDF bundle of Calendars of Years past? Would love to round out the whole collection :)

Also - loving all the new kids shirts!!!

Thanks - in advance!
    Last edited by JustinKase; 2018-11-26 at 08:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JustinKase View Post
    By any chance, will there be a PDF bundle of Calendars of Years past? Would love to round out the whole collection :)
    Alternatively, will they be relisted individually in the future? I missed 2018 before it left gumroad, and I was hoping to fill the gap in my collection.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Calendar question:
    For European fans, any chance of a version starting weeks with Mondays? Maybe? Ever? One day?
    I've been using the OotS calendars for years, but the weird Sunday-1st day format keeps throwing me off. :(
    Last edited by glowface; 2018-11-27 at 12:52 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Post Re: 2019 OOTS Magic Item Calendar, Holiday Ornament, and New T-Shirts!

Hi Giant,

I've been a huge fan for years, so thank you for all the great stuff you've been producing over the years. You're awesome!

I was wondering if it was possible to get the older calenders in digital form from Gumroad. I'm just sorry I missed out on those and would love to get my hands on them for a second run.

Myth_

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

So, this may be a silly question. Typically when I get the calendar, I hang it from a nail on the wall in my bedroom. Since the entire weight of the calendar is hanging on a single page, this tends to create a tear in the top, which gets perpetuated each month in the new page, since the old page isn't helping take the weight due to the tear.
    I'm hanging the calendar from the snap hook of a lanyard (don't ask). That works pretty well, as the weight is distributed more. So try using something that isn't as slim as a nail.
    Also, as others have suggested: Make sure to add the front cover to the hanging part.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by glowface View Post
    Calendar question:
    For European fans, any chance of a version starting weeks with Mondays? Maybe? Ever? One day?
    I've been using the OotS calendars for years, but the weird Sunday-1st day format keeps throwing me off. :(
    No, sorry.

First, printing two different versions of the calendar, with no way of knowing in advance how many to print of each one, is not financially feasible. The calendar already teeters on the edge of whether or not it makes or loses money, depending on how many I order, due to the fact that by mid-March they will be dramatically reduced in value to most customers.

Second, I write the jokes for the bottom of the calendar to fit the amount of space that each month has before and after the days. If I were to change to a Monday-first version, it would shift all of those spaces one over, which means it wouldn't fit the characters who are telling the jokes without me rewriting them to maybe exclude one character or add another. That is far too much work for very little return, and that's why there won't be a digital version regardless of the printing issue.

And since I know the next question is why I make it the American way in the first place when the rest of the world does it differently: I sell something like five times as much stuff in the US as I do the entire rest of the world put together. There may be more people in the world who start their week on Monday, but there are more paying customers who start theirs on a Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinKase View Post
    Yeah, I'll see what I can do.
    Rich Burlew

24. - Top - End - #24

My thanks!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

frown Re: 2019 OOTS Magic Item Calendar, Holiday Ornament, and New T-Shirts!

Has anybody out there successfully pre-ordered via Gumroad yet? I've tried 8 times over 3 days with both credit card and PayPal and it never seems to acknowledge an order. Has anyone seen a new screen appear after they submitted their pre-order?

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    Has anybody out there successfully pre-ordered via Gumroad yet? I've tried 8 times over 3 days with both credit card and PayPal and it never seems to acknowledge an order. Has anyone seen a new screen appear after they submitted their pre-order?
    The good news is I pre-ordered from Gumroas successfully. The bad news is I can't remember what screens popped up.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by 2.5 cats View Post
    If I remember correctly I was shown a different screen.
    And I got an email confirming my pre-order.
    The pre-ordered Item also appears in my Gumroad library (without download link, obviously): https://gumroad.com/library

If you don't yet have a Gumroad account, just create one with the same email address that you used to pre-order.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

I would really like to see a return (or an update) of the Redcloak-as-Che t-shirt design, but these are pretty awesome too.
    ungelic is us

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

If I remember correctly I was shown a different screen.
    And I got an email confirming my pre-order.
    The pre-ordered Item also appears in my Gumroad library (without download link, obviously): https://gumroad.com/library

If you don't yet have a Gumroad account, just create one with the same email address that you used to pre-order.
    Thank you, Armitage!

Once I logged into Gumroad via Facebook, I was able to do the pre-order. Guess I hadn't realized that a (logged into) account was necessary.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And...ordered! Very much looking forward to this holiday gift.

Peelee’s Lotsey