Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    The Page on the Homebrewery (last updated Nov. 30th)

    The gist: this a 1/3 caster barbarian. I'm hoping to set up the subclass to grant mechanical bonuses for people playing the "smart barbarian" archetype, without making it much more MAD than barbarians already are.

    Abilities:
    1/3 casting in the same manner as the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, including cantrips. The specialized schools of magic are divination and transmutation.

    Precognitive Strike
    At 3rd level, while you're raging, the first time you hit an opponent with a weapon attack on your turn, you deal extra psychic damage equal to 1d6 + half your barbarian level.

    This is based off the Path of the Zealot's divine fury, and is intended as the main in-combat buff for the subclass.

    Centered Solid Focus
    Starting at 6th level, whenever you make a saving throw to maintain concentration, you can reroll one of the dice once.

    Additionally, you gain proficiency in Intelligence saving throws. If you are already proficient in Intelligence saving throws, you can instead gain proficiency in Charisma saving throws.

    I'm hoping solid focus is a bit on the weak side, given that both spellcasting and precognitive strike are particularly strong.

    Warding Premonition Premonition of Dread Spirit Sight
    Beginning at 10th level, you can supernaturally calm your allies. When a creature other than you within 30 feet of you makes a saving throw against being charmed or frightened, you can use your reaction to grant them advantage on their saving throw against the condition.

    Serene Rage
    At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting spells in this way takes more effort from you than usual. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell, even if the spell being cast does not require concentration.
    At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging.

    I think spirit sight is typical for 10th level barbarian ability, and intend serene rage as a late connection between casting and combat.
    Last edited by sandmote; 2018-11-30 at 03:32 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    The Page on the Homebrewery

    The gist: this a 1/3 caster barbarian. I'm hoping to set up the subclass to grant mechanical bonuses for people playing the "smart barbarian" archetype, without making it much more MAD than barbarians already are.
    I've tried to create one in the past as well. If you're interested to see it, let me know. I might be able to dig it up from the depths of the homebrew subforum

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Abilities:
    1/3 casting in the same manner as the Eldritch Knight and Arcane Trickster, including cantrips. The specialized schools of magic are divination and transmutation.

    Precognitive Strike
    At 3rd level, while you're raging, the first time you hit an opponent with a weapon attack on your turn, you deal extra psychic damage equal to 1d6 + half your barbarian level.

    This is based off the Path of the Zealot's divine fury, and is intended as the main in-combat buff for the subclass.
    1/3 spellcasting is definitely the farthest I would even consider for barbarian. Specialized Schools seem to be fine for the "Seer" -theme.

    As an aside, for some reason this gave me an idea of a barbarian sub-class that would be a pseudo-spellcaster, focused around conjuration and necromancy, but that's another story I might have to look into later :D

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Solid Focus
    Starting at 6th level, whenever you make a saving throw to maintain concentration, you can reroll one of the dice once.

    Additionally, you gain proficiency in Intelligence saving throws. If you are already proficient in Intelligence saving throws, you can instead gain proficiency in Charisma saving throws.

    I'm hoping solid focus is a bit on the weak side, given that both spellcasting and precognitive strike are particularly strong.
    I think that, instead of proficiency in Charisma saving throws I would actually grant advantage on Intelligence saving throws if you're already proficient for some reason.

    Also, so far I haven't had any reason to suggest a different naming, but I promised you, didn't I?
    I think that calling the 6th level feature as "Centered" would be more fitting, in a way. As a barbarian, your ability to rage defines what you are - in and out of rage, and I find that you can technically remain centered ("emotionally stable and secure"), even while raging.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Spirit Sight
    Beginning at 10th level, you can supernaturally calm your allies. When a creature other than you within 30 feet of you makes a saving throw against being charmed or frightened, you can use your reaction to grant them advantage on their saving throw against the condition.

    Serene Rage
    At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging.

    I think spirit sight is typical for 10th level barbarian ability, and intend serene rage as a late connection between casting and combat.
    Something about Spirit Sight seems off, to me, to be honest. Either its name or its effect. It's as if they don't "meet each other" so to speak.
    here's a couple of suggestions to fix this.
    a) Spirit Sight gives you blindsight out to a range (maybe just 10 feet or maybe farther).
    or
    b) change the name to Premonition of Dread (or something similar). Meaning that you receive a strong feeling that something dreadful (a.k.a. bad) is about to happen, and as such you can react to it and reach out to help your allies.

    As for Serene Rage, I'd say it was a wise move to delay "ragecasting" to be the cap-stone of the sub-class.
    Although, I think I would add a small restriction to it: You can either cast a spell, or concentrate on a spell, not both. So, even if a spell you are about to cast wouldn't require concentration, in Serene Rage previous concentration would break if you cast another spell (this is unlike spellcasting usually works; you can concentrate on one spell and cast another spell as long as the other spell doesn't require concentration as well).
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-11-28 at 07:24 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    Don't look for an insult when there is none.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!


    Current Characters:
    Arkhios "Wolfhammer", V.Human Paladin (Ancients) 5 (Dawnfall: The Greendale Campaign)
    Anarriel, Valenar Fighter (Cavalier/TBD) 4 (Eberron: Embers of the Last War)

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I've tried to create one in the past as well. If you're interested to see it, let me know. I might be able to dig it up from the depths of the homebrew subforum

    1/3 spellcasting is definitely the farthest I would even consider for barbarian. Specialized Schools seem to be fine for the "Seer" -theme.

    As an aside, for some reason this gave me an idea of a barbarian sub-class that would be a pseudo-spellcaster, focused around conjuration and necromancy, but that's another story I might have to look into later :D
    Hey, nice to see you. I think I'm okay with the 1/3 caster barbarian subclasses I've found, but if it won't take you any work to pull up I wouldn't mind seeing yours. I'm glad the specialized schools aren't way off base.

    I am, however, very intrigued which theme would fit conjuration and necromancy as the specialized schools for a 1/3 caster barbarian.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    I think that, instead of proficiency in Charisma saving throws I would actually grant advantage on Intelligence saving throws if you're already proficient for some reason.
    I don't have any problem with that, but the existing structure seems to to give you proficiency with the other mental stats. From the Samurai fighter subclass:
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanathar's Guide
    You also gain proficiency in Wisdom saving throws. If you already have this proficiency, you instead gain proficiency in Intelligence or Charisma saving throws (your choice).
    Would simply swapping wisdom and intelligence in the above quote fit better?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Also, so far I haven't had any reason to suggest a different naming, but I promised you, didn't I?
    I think that calling the 6th level feature as "Centered" would be more fitting, in a way. As a barbarian, your ability to rage defines what you are - in and out of rage, and I find that you can technically remain centered ("emotionally stable and secure"), even while raging.
    Centered is noticeably better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Something about Spirit Sight seems off, to me, to be honest. Either its name or its effect. It's as if they don't "meet each other" so to speak.
    here's a couple of suggestions to fix this.
    a) Spirit Sight gives you blindsight out to a range (maybe just 10 feet or maybe farther).
    or
    b) change the name to Premonition of Dread (or something similar). Meaning that you receive a strong feeling that something dreadful (a.k.a. bad) is about to happen, and as such you can react to it and reach out to help your allies.
    The name is what I struggled to fit to the effect. Premonition of dread is a lot better, hmm. How does "Premonition of Mind Seizure," sound? That's, uh, slightly closer to the actual effect than dread. Not much closer, and more pretentious, but more specific than "dread?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    As for Serene Rage, I'd say it was a wise move to delay "ragecasting" to be the cap-stone of the sub-class.
    Although, I think I would add a small restriction to it: You can either cast a spell, or concentrate on a spell, not both. So, even if a spell you are about to cast wouldn't require concentration, in Serene Rage previous concentration would break if you cast another spell (this is unlike spellcasting usually works; you can concentrate on one spell and cast another spell as long as the other spell doesn't require concentration as well).
    How does the following sound?
    Serene Rage (V2)
    At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting any spell while raging requires your concentration, even if the spell doesn't normally require it.
    I'm slightly worried about the wording of saying, "You can either cast a spell, or concentrate on a spell, not both," as concentration spells technically require both while being cast.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    Hey, nice to see you. I think I'm okay with the 1/3 caster barbarian subclasses I've found, but if it won't take you any work to pull up I wouldn't mind seeing yours. I'm glad the specialized schools aren't way off base.
    Apparently the version I had in the forum was badly outdated, but fortunately I had a more recent version in my homebrewery: Ragechemist. It started out as a 1/3 caster, although it did later become a pseudo-caster, more similar to monks of Way of the Four Elements or Way of Shadows. But at its core, it has the same pace of progress as 1/3-spellcasting.
    FWIW, I made this for a low magic post apocalyptic campaign.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I am, however, very intrigued which theme would fit conjuration and necromancy as the specialized schools for a 1/3 caster barbarian.
    The concept is still trying to take form (for now, let's call it the "Path of the Deadriser"), but the gist is that you get so angry that even the dead rise to fight for you. The idea was to use the spell: Danse Macabre as the base for this oddity.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I don't have any problem with that, but the existing structure seems to to give you proficiency with the other mental stats. From the Samurai fighter subclass:

    Would simply swapping wisdom and intelligence in the above quote fit better?
    Actually, now that you mentioned Samurai, I think it's fine as is. I generally try to balance my 'brews with what has been officially published, so I see your point.
    Also, granting the option to get Wisdom saving throw proficiency might actually be too strong to be honest, because Wisdom is one of the more common (read: "stronger") saves (Dexterity, Constitution, and Wisdom).

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    The name is what I struggled to fit to the effect. Premonition of dread is a lot better, hmm. How does "Premonition of Mind Seizure," sound? That's, uh, slightly closer to the actual effect than dread. Not much closer, and more pretentious, but more specific than "dread?"
    My train of thought was that since premonition means you get a hunch of something that is about to happen, and if that something is related with spirits (of the dead?), it would seem (to me) that it might be quite a dreadful experience. Especially if the aid is for saves against frightened and charmed conditions.
    ...Unless you meant Celestial/Fey/Fiend spirits instead, in which case Premonition of Dread might indeed be a bit off.

    Either way, "Premonition of Mind Seizure" sounds a bit weird to me. Although, maybe it's just me as I tend to lean towards "simple" names for class features; the less words they have, the better.
    (as long as the end result is, even vaguely, descriptive, that is)

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    How does the following sound?
    Serene Rage (V2)
    At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting any spell while raging requires your concentration, even if the spell doesn't normally require it.
    I'm slightly worried about the wording of saying, "You can either cast a spell, or concentrate on a spell, not both," as concentration spells technically require both while being cast.
    Granted, I was a bit tired when I wrote that. They way you put it is much better. Seeing how badly I failed at expressing myself, it's probably a good thing I didn't write more :P

    However, here's an alternative (wording might need more work, though):

    "At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting spells in this way takes more effort from you than usual. As such, if you are concentrating on a spell and you cast another spell while raging, the previous spell's concentration ends immediately."
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-11-29 at 10:15 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Apparently the version I had in the forum was badly outdated, but fortunately I had a more recent version in my homebrewery: Ragechemist. It started out as a 1/3 caster, although it did later become a pseudo-caster, more similar to monks of Way of the Four Elements or Way of Shadows. But at its core, it has the same pace of progress as 1/3-spellcasting.
    FWIW, I made this for a low magic post apocalyptic campaign.
    It isn't a bad concept, but I'd rather stick with a 1/3 caster subclass for Path of the Seer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    The concept is still trying to take form (for now, let's call it the "Path of the Deadriser"), but the gist is that you get so angry that even the dead rise to fight for you. The idea was to use the spell: Danse Macabre as the base for this oddity.
    That would be very cool for control build without being a full caster. Might be easier to set up if you base it off the shadowdancer from 3.5 though, instead of making it a 1/3 caster.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    My train of thought was that since premonition means you get a hunch of something that is about to happen, and if that something is related with spirits (of the dead?), it would seem (to me) that it might be quite a dreadful experience. Especially if the aid is for saves against frightened and charmed conditions.
    ...Unless you meant Celestial/Fey/Fiend spirits instead, in which case Premonition of Dread might indeed be a bit off.

    Either way, "Premonition of Mind Seizure" sounds a bit weird to me. Although, maybe it's just me as I tend to lean towards "simple" names for class features; the less words they have, the better.
    (as long as the end result is, even vaguely, descriptive, that is)
    I was thinking it would be related to mind-altering effects, which is where my issue with "dread" comes from. Still, I'm no good at naming, so I guess "dread" it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    "At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting spells in this way takes more effort from you than usual. As such, if you are concentrating on a spell and you cast another spell while raging, the previous spell's concentration ends immediately."
    I'll make it match the book's wording, but that's probably clearer.

    "At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting spells in this way takes more effort from you than usual. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell, even if the spell being cast does not require concentration."

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    PaladinGuy

    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    It isn't a bad concept, but I'd rather stick with a 1/3 caster subclass for Path of the Seer.
    Yeah. I realized that it wasn't exactly good for inspiration after all, but I shared it nonetheless because I promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    That would be very cool for control build without being a full caster. Might be easier to set up if you base it off the shadowdancer from 3.5 though, instead of making it a 1/3 caster.
    That could probably work better indeed.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I was thinking it would be related to mind-altering effects, which is where my issue with "dread" comes from. Still, I'm no good at naming, so I guess "dread" it is.
    Hmm. As I was reading another barbarian homebrew I made around the same time as Ragechemist, I noticed that I created one ability that was pretty much exactly the same as yours. Only because of its different context it was named "Spirit Ward". If you want to use that, be my guest. If, on the other hand, you're like me and preferred Premonition in this context (premonition fits for the Seer -theme), it could also be "Warding Premonition".

    Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
    I'll make it match the book's wording, but that's probably clearer.

    "At 14th level, you can maintain concentration and cast spells while raging. However, casting spells in this way takes more effort from you than usual. You lose concentration on a spell if you cast another spell, even if the spell being cast does not require concentration."
    That's perfect! You are much better at wordings than I am.

    Also, if I ever end up making my own "ragecaster", I'm going to steal that
    Last edited by Arkhios; 2018-11-30 at 02:16 AM.
    My Homebrew:
    Don't look for an insult when there is none.


    Quote Originally Posted by Anon von Zilch View Post
    Words actually mean things, people!


    Current Characters:
    Arkhios "Wolfhammer", V.Human Paladin (Ancients) 5 (Dawnfall: The Greendale Campaign)
    Anarriel, Valenar Fighter (Cavalier/TBD) 4 (Eberron: Embers of the Last War)

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sandmote's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    US
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Path of the Seer: The Brilliant Barbarian(PEACH)

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Yeah. I realized that it wasn't exactly good for inspiration after all, but I shared it nonetheless because I promised.
    You did, and you followed through, so I'm glad to have seen it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    Hmm. As I was reading another barbarian homebrew I made around the same time as Ragechemist, I noticed that I created one ability that was pretty much exactly the same as yours. Only because of its different context it was named "Spirit Ward". If you want to use that, be my guest. If, on the other hand, you're like me and preferred Premonition in this context (premonition fits for the Seer -theme), it could also be "Warding Premonition".
    That's wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Arkhios View Post
    That's perfect! You are much better at wordings than I am.

    Also, if I ever end up making my own "ragecaster", I'm going to steal that
    I think in this case WotC gets most of the credit; I basically copied their wording. And please, be my guest for using these abilities.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •