Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    Any ideas on what could be used as a symbol for this goddess? It doesn’t have to be super original, it just needs to make sense and be simple enough to be made into an icon. I’ve done a lot of thinking and googling over this, and I’m drawing a blank. This is what I have so far.


    Alignment: Chaotic Good

    Portfolio: Art, Free Thinking, Creativity, Revelry, Exploration

    Dogma: It is the sign of a thriving civilization to display works of art, inventions, and fine craftsmanship of all kinds. People should think for themselves rather than to do things just because they’re expected. The imagination is a sacred thing. The artist or craftsman in the grips of furious inspiration is favored by Synphion. The raucous celebration of life is a display of Synphion’s presence. Alcohol and the various intoxicating herbs are gifts of the Maiden. The frontiersman pushing on to see what’s over the next rise is driven by the spirit of Synphion. Creation is life. Life itself is a gift, it is a waste not to live it to its fullest.
    Carpe Testiculum

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
     
    LudicSavant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    A symbol for a goddess of art, creativity, and free thinking: an octoganal canvas decorated with 3 painted strokes in her 3 primary colors; the catch is that each symbol is unique, with the strokes arranged in a new way by the bearer of each symbol. Different patterns were said to express different virtues.

    And yet everyone could easily recognize 3 strokes of 3 primary colors on an octagon as a simple and recognizable symbol, regardless of the layout. PC clerics could even make their own personal crest and such.

    The octagon represents the 8 "parlors" or categories of creative works as delineated by the church. The 3 strokes represent the potential for basic elements to be combined to create all things. The differences between each individual iteration of the symbol represents the infinite variety of free thought and their beautiful expressions.
    Last edited by LudicSavant; 2018-11-28 at 03:38 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucius View Post
    This is a blessed resource! Thank you LudicSavant for pouring over all these monsters! Your contributions to the community are plentiful!
    Some of my Stuff:
    Frequency of Resistances in MM, Volo's, MToF | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Unusual Life Cleric Character Concepts

    A Reinvented Pantheon (Made for 3.5, but adaptable):
    Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    A man with an afro holding a palette & brush, clearly.

    I could also see an Escher-esque representation, of a hand drawing a city or tower, and a small person walking into that city or building.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    jqavins's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Hornell, NY
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by LudicSavant View Post
    A symbol for a goddess of art, creativity, and free thinking: an octoganal canvas decorated with 3 painted strokes in her 3 primary colors; the catch is that each symbol is unique, with the strokes arranged in a new way by the bearer of each symbol. Different patterns were said to express different virtues.
    I do like this, but I'm conflicted because I'm also of the opinion that a symbol for any deity should be something one can draw on a rock with a piece of charcoal. So no colors. But it's really good! But no colors. But...

    How about the "Three Stroked Octagon" whether in color or not? A cleric who makes his/her own Holy Symbol (which s/he should do in most cases) will usually make it in color, as will an artist making it only got art's sake. Usually. But then the free thinking ethic means that if one wants to make a Holy Symbol out of a single material it should be allowed. Or out of, say, silver, gold, and copper, three colors but not the three primaries; the intent is still clear.

    So, in summary, while the idealized symbol uses the three primary colors, the symbol may be represented without them. And is not any representation of a symbol the same as the symbol itself, as it too represents the goddess?

    Red-Blue-Yellow, Red-Blue-Green, Magenta-Cyan-Yellow, or some other set?
    -- Joe
    “Shared pain is diminished. Shared joy is increased.”
    -- Spider Roninson

    Always remember that anything posted on the internet is, in a practical if not a legal sense, in the public domain.
    You are completely welcome to use anything I post here, or I wouldn't post it.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Maat Mons's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2018

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by Vogie View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]I could also see an Escher-esque representation, of a hand drawing a city or tower, and a small person walking into that city or building.
    Or, you know, just straight-up copy one of his most famous works.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    BlueKnightGuy

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    PA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    I love the idea of the primary colors and especially that the symbol is encouraged to be unique. But then I had the same thought about how that would work as far as etched in stone, as a symbol carried by the Cleric, etc...

    The hand drawing a hand would unquestionably be a badass symbol.

    Both ideas are better than anything I had (which is ironic because I’m not creative enough to come up with a symbol for creativity). You are truly touched by Synphion.
    Carpe Testiculum

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground
     
    LudicSavant's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Los Angeles

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by jqavins View Post
    I do like this, but I'm conflicted because I'm also of the opinion that a symbol for any deity should be something one can draw on a rock with a piece of charcoal. So no colors. But it's really good! But no colors. But...

    How about the "Three Stroked Octagon" whether in color or not? A cleric who makes his/her own Holy Symbol (which s/he should do in most cases) will usually make it in color, as will an artist making it only got art's sake. Usually. But then the free thinking ethic means that if one wants to make a Holy Symbol out of a single material it should be allowed. Or out of, say, silver, gold, and copper, three colors but not the three primaries; the intent is still clear.

    So, in summary, while the idealized symbol uses the three primary colors, the symbol may be represented without them. And is not any representation of a symbol the same as the symbol itself, as it too represents the goddess?
    Seems reasonable to me. There's certainly precedent for having both simplified and more formalized versions of symbols.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crucius View Post
    This is a blessed resource! Thank you LudicSavant for pouring over all these monsters! Your contributions to the community are plentiful!
    Some of my Stuff:
    Frequency of Resistances in MM, Volo's, MToF | Comprehensive DPR Calculator | An Eclectic Collection of Fun and Effective Builds | Unusual Life Cleric Character Concepts

    A Reinvented Pantheon (Made for 3.5, but adaptable):
    Nerull | Wee Jas | Olidammara | Erythnul | Hextor | Corellon Larethian | Lolth | The Deep Ones

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    NinjaGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: Need a Symbol for the Goddes of Creativity/Free Thinking

    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Or, you know, just straight-up copy one of his most famous works.
    No, the OP is looking for a symbol that also represents "inventions and fine craftsmanship", not just art.

    By having a hand drawing a city, smithy, or tower - some building or other type of crafted item - you get the intent of both art and creation of all of the cogs that makes the civilization engine tick.
    Always looking for critique of my 5E homebrew!
    Including new Base Classes, a better Ranger, and Subclasses based on:
    • Books
    • TV Shows
    • Marvel Cinematic Universe
    • League of Legends IP
    • Planeswalker-themed Subclasses based on Magic: The Gathering
    And MORE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarkmundur View Post
    ... does this stuff just come naturally to you? Do you even have to try anymore xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Vogie is the sh**. I don't really have anything to contribute to the topic, just wanted to point that out.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •