New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

Emma stood outside the bank, holding her jacket in her hands. She had driven all the way into New Orleans to use her safe deposit box in Bank of Louisiana on St. Charles street. By the time she had gotten the kids home, and handed them off to their father, and then gotten down into the city, it was already early evening. Though the sun had not yet set, it was finally starting to cool down, and the streets were just starting to fill with people getting off work, and locals coming into town for an early dinner.

The jacket had the card Typhon had given her, and it seemed to Emma like there was no better time to try to study it than now, before she went into the bank.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #932
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Checking that she has true privacy -- she doesn't want to detect some abnormality walking around, though she guesses it would be good to know if such were around -- she focuses to perform the Kenning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Since it says the DM rolls privately, I'll let you roll.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Sorry for the delay. Emma is down to 4/5 WP, and this has been updated in her character box on the first page of the OOC thread.

Emma's hands almost begin to tremble as she studies the jacket, focusing on the card in the pocket. But the jacket remains cold and uninteresting, as if there was nothing particularly magical about it.

However, the Changeling can't help but feel the golden heat coming off of the bank's walls. The entire building seemed to swirl with orange and yellow heat waves that brought the smell of of tropical citruses, blooming lavenders, and hot molasses.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma pauses, lips pulsed in a mix of confusion and frustration. Good to know, she suspects, but not sure what to do on it. She's visited this bank before. Was this some sort of ward put there by the Goblin Market or some big player in the bank? Or maybe the old bloodlines in the Lapaiggne...

Well, she's been safe here before, so probably still will be. Hopefully it's not that some Gentry is here now, changing it to a side-realm of Arcadia... Emma shudders. She had that thought at first as a joke to set herself at ease, but the potential reality of it frightens her. But, no, New Oreleans is safe... right?

With a deep breath, she enters the bank, trying to quickly accomplish her goals and with an eye out for trouble.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do I know whose territory this is in, like if one of the Freeholds 'owns' this territory?

5. - Top - End - #935
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Emma knows that the bank falls under the purview of the Freehold of Free Coin, and that several powerful members of the Freehold play important roles in the bank. Because of this fact, a number of Changelings choose to bank with the Bank of Louisiana, and so Emma is not surprised by her Kenning results.

(OOC: Sorry for not making this clearer man, and thank you for the patience)

Walking inside, Emma is greeted by the cool breeze of air conditioning, and struck by the bright yellow fluorescent lights which hang gilded from the towering ceiling. The floors are large tile alabaster marble, and Emma's shoes clack and echo as she walks through the spacious entrance. She is greeted at the door by an older, heavy set mortal man in a baby blue linen suit. He smiles at Emma and says, "Greetings madam. How can we help you today?"

Down the hall, Emma can see a que for a line of bank tellers, visible from the waist up behind a fabulous long marble bar. Some of the tellers are clearly Changelings. Elsewhere in the spacious hall are a number of private tables where bankers sit, reviewing finances with high rolling customers. The smell of citrus and Caribbean flowers wafts through the room from somewhere.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #936
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"Here to deposit something in my safety deposit box," she says with a friendly smile.

She proceeds to go to her box like she normally does, keeping an eye out for changelings (and a friendly nod, if appropriate) as well as any indication of where that supernatural feeling is coming from.

Spoiler: ooc on safety deposit boxes
    Show
    I'm not completely sure how these boxes work, whether she'd have someone bring it to her or she enters a room of them where she has the key for hers. So whatever works.

Also, for the smell: is it sensed just because of the successful Kenning, or would she notice it anyhow? Or does she know? It kinda sounds something like a Mantle effect.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man bows slightly at the waist and says, "It would be our pleasure to help you with that today. Please, follow me." He turns and leads Emma through the hall, towards the area with tellers working at their own tables. Emma is being led towards the desk of another mortal man, a young guy with an overly confident smile and a strong jaw, but her path is intercepted by a Changeling clerk.

The Fairest who approaches Emma is dressed in a finely cut three piece charcoal grey pinstripe suit, and a loud silk pink and yellow tie with a floral pattern. Though the man's well styled hair and waxed mustache are turning from blonde to grey, his face is surprisingly youthful, and perhaps elevated by a gentle application of makeup. "May I be of assistance," he asks, giving Emma a charming but knowing grin. He has a slight almost French accent, and his voice is rich and tinny, almost like the jingling of a pirate's treasure. The host explains that Emma is here for her safety deposit box, and the Fairest invited Emma to join him at his desk.

The man's desk is made of polished wood, and a brass name plate informs Emma that his name is Alphonse Prima. He invites Emma to sit across from him and begins typing away on a modern looking computer. Prima says, "Okay Ms. Thompson, I have the list of items kept in your deposit box. Do you want me to retrieve the entire contents, or is there something in particular you are looking to remove?" The man's demeanor is at once serious, while still somehow being extremely charming.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #938
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

One of the useful things about control of her Mask is being able to do something like offer a friendly smile via it while her true form shows a fierce glare.
    However, now is not the time for that. At least not yet.

"Neither. I'm here to drop off an object."

She proceeds to remove her jacket, containing the card, and puts the glove that touched the glove on top of it. She then removes a replacement glove from her purse and puts it on.

"These clothes, and their contents, I want to store.
    "Although I would appreciate to know if there is any particular reason you wish to perform a service like retrieving my items today. I'm sure you would understand that I'd prefer things in my box be my private concern... though I understand if the Market feels compelled to search at times the contents held in their territory. Mr. Prima, are you of the Market? And do you have any particular interest in my items?
    "

She tries to say it all with a friendly air, ending with a slight accent of flirtation. But much of it is all affectation; she does not care for this, especially with the concern about Reggie in her mind. She wishes she could remember who his motley was or if it contained a member of the Market, but she had never been close to any of them.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Alphonse Prima's smile softens, though does not disappear. He replies, "My sincere apologies Miss Thompson, I in no way meant to pry or offend. I was simply following bank protocol." He leans forward in his chair, steepling his hands under his chin. "I am a member of the Market," he replies under his breath before continuing, "but it is simply bank policy that we document the items in each security box, and at each visit review the items with the customer and offer to let them check for themselves, just as a means of guaranteeing security and customer satisfaction. I would happily add this jacket to your security box. Would you prefer I simply take the jacket to the box in our safe, or would you prefer I bring the box here for you to... manage things personally?" He raises an eyebrow at Emma, his warm smile turning into a roguish grin.

As far as Emma can tell, Prima is being completely honest with her.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #940
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma smiles in reply, not quite sure how to read the man.

"I suppose to bring me the box. And, I apologize as well: I didn't mean to offer offense, either. It's been a jumpy day."

Deciding to take a risk, she continues, "Ran into a scaley guy calling himself Typhon. He was just asking some questions, but kinda scary man even if nothing he said was scary." She tries to see if he recognizes the name or not.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"I suppose to bring me the box. And, I apologize as well: I didn't mean to offer offense, either. It's been a jumpy day."
    The man smiles warmly and nods. "No apologies necessary," he says politely, "it is my pleasure to be of service."

Deciding to take a risk, she continues, "Ran into a scaley guy calling himself Typhon. He was just asking some questions, but kinda scary man even if nothing he said was scary." She tries to see if he recognizes the name or not.
    But this question draws a rather sudden and dramatic response from Monsieur Prima. "I apologize, but did you say Typhon?" he asks, drawing a hand to his chest as if Emma had just coughed on him and explained that she had a contagious illness. His expression was thus equal parts shock and fear, and he wore these emotions on his face like a Broadway actor.

(OOC: Sorry for the delays. I am moving at the end of this month and packing is going to start taking over my weekends a little. Erulasto has been MIA because of internet issues, but says he should be getting back very soon. Once I hear from him, will likely restart the recruitment thread all over again )
    Show

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

With his theatrics, she wasn't sure to take him as sincere fear or just drama. While a human would never act like this, it's possible a Fairest might sincerely do so.

"Uh... yes? I take it I have reason to be as fearful as I felt?"

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man's countenance hardens for the first time during Emma's interaction with him. Well manicured eyebrows knit together over a dark stare, and his smile vanishes into a pursed scowl. "You had a right to be afraid," he says flatly, before turning and rushing down the hall, his fancy leather shoes clacking off of the marble tiled floor.

When he returns, he is carrying a large and plain looking steel box, which he places on the table before Emma. He turns it so that the lock faces Emma, so that she may use her key to open it. He steps back from the table and says, "If you would like, I can read out the list of contents we have on file, or I can just give you some privacy." The words are forced now, lacking the warmth that his accented voice had previously carried.

Show
    Okay, Erulasto is MIA though has emailed me saying he will be back ASAP. I will reopen the recruitment thread tomorrow, when I have a little more time.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-06-10 at 03:50 PM.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Although she doesn't care for his mannerisms (before or after mentioning the dreaded name), Emma feels a touch of regret and a bit apologetic towards the Fairest. He is (seemingly) obviously trying to be professional and courteous while worried.

"Sincerely, whichever you prefer. I'll lean towards privacy if you don't want to choose. I am sorry to cause you worry or fear. I appreciate that you confirmed I should be as wary of him as it seemed I should. I... he asked me some questions about somebody else; I'm quite sure my being here won't draw his attention to you." Feeling like she owes more honesty. "What I am dropping off is a business card he left me, plus my clothes that touched it: a jacket and glove."

Assuming no further things of import, she houses the objects and leaves, an apologetic look to the Fairest (or other changelings), should she see them.

Spoiler
    Show
    So feel free to move on if you wish, but I'm fine to stay in this scene if he wants to say more.

15. - Top - End - #945
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The man nods politely and says, "I will document this in our system, and will give you some privacy. I will be back in about five minutes to receive your box when you are ready." He gives a curt bow, then turns and begins down the hall (just a little too quickly), his shoes ringing out in the large open bank space.

Emma finds her affects in order, and quickly folds and stores the jacket and its contents in the safe.

Almost on cue, when Emma closes up the lock box, she can hear the ringing of Alphonso Prima's shoes as he makes his way back to his desk. "Thank you for your patronage of our bank," he says in an easy and practiced manner. But Prima seems to pause, the smile fading from his well manicured face. He reaches out a hand to firmly grasp Emma's wrist and he says with sudden grim seriousness, "Do be careful Ms. Thompson. I do not mean to pry, but if you are being visited by Typhon it means you or someone you know is in serious trouble. I've heard he's like the boogey man and the men in black wrapped up in one." Despite the absurdity of the statement, Alphonso appears completely sincere in his statement, and he waits for just a moment longer before releasing Emma's wrist.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

With a sincere sigh and thankful -- and worried -- expression, Emma says, "Thank you. I hadn't heard of him before, so I am sincerely glad to have some idea what he is. It is someone I know, not me... I'll try to be careful."

Respecting his fear, Emma leaves the Fairest and the bank, putting on a new glove to replace the one that had touched Typhon's card.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Act 1 Scene i

"This is New Orleans, dawg. Police ain't gonna come. If they do, they'll start shoving us out of the way and looting."
    -The Treme

"“In the spring of 1988, I returned to New Orleans, and as soon as I smelled the air, I knew I was home.
    It was rich, almost sweet, like the scent of jasmine and roses around our old courtyard.
    I walked the streets, savoring that long lost perfume.”
    ― Anne Rice

It was late in the afternoon when Emma returned to the communal two story disaster that was The Grim Trio's apartment in the Treme. Though the neighborhood was infamous for being a mostly black community that was hit hard by Hurricane Katrina and never fully recovered, the three found their they were mostly left alone to their own business. Of course, it didn't hurt that the neighborhood swore their creaking leaning Victorian with the peeling white pain was haunted. That was a rumor that The Trio leaned into heavily. It didn't matter that their wrought iron fence was busted and torn out in places, not even the most desperate of criminals would dare walk up the cobble stone path to their small wooden porch to test the lock.

It was getting near late afternoon, and the mid-October breeze was blowing softly, causing the wisteria in the yard to rustle and sway.

Emma did not know if Calliope or Tony were home, or perhaps they were both hiding out in the Hollow that could be reached via a strange rusted door in their basement, but she knew she had urgent news for them.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Subzero and Hemnon, please give me a quick description of what your character is doing and where they are "on the property", when Emma rushes home with urgent news.

Sub, I still want those aspirations please.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Calliope, or Lilly for short, was currently at the hollow, wandering the hallways of The Motley's home-away-from-New-Orleans, their own private hollow in the Hedge, attached to a trod maintained by the Cayoodle Krew Freehold.
    She'd felt that the Hollow was rather empty, as of late, and not in the lack of Changelings... but more in the sensation of a welcoming presence. She didn't really know how to specify the sensation correctly.
    At least she could leave the mask down there in the Hollow, tend to her little hidden-away patch of goblin fruits, which she'd somehow been quite good at cultivating in small numbers, even if she had no control about what kind they ended up becoming and what effect they could potentially have. Usually it was the normal Glamour-filled 'surprise', but she had experienced getting a patch of Jenny Greenteeth at one time.

She'd lately been toying with the idea of trying to summon an Ephemeral Servant, made up of nothing but the wandering wisp of dreams, forgotten within the hedge, a collection of masks and the air itself. Like a butler. Perhaps that's what felt like it was 'missing' there in the Hollow. A welcoming, servant presence. Like that... what was the name, Alfred... yeah that was it, that vigilante Super Hero's Butler that she'd so recently caught up on.
    Nearly 100 years of time on earth had been lost to her, so there were still much she'd yet to catch up on or even full on understand. Cellphones had taken a while, since the mere concept of a portable phone was strange to her, or at least in such a small and compact fashion. She'd heard of boxy, military type radios back then.... but something so small it could fit into your hand, and it could call to anyone else almost anywhere else in the world... it was an extreme fish-out-of-water moment for her.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome dark heresy inquisitor avatar by Emperor Ing

Gender bended avatar by Emperor Ing

.... in her party dress, also by Emperor Ing

Epic imperial Guardsman by The Architect

Dingle Dongle Dangle - Do it at an Angle~

19. - Top - End - #949
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma looks around the house for her motley-mates. Not finding them, she ventures into their trod in the Hedge. Although she knows it is safe there, or as safe as it comes, she always feels a touch of nervousness entering the Hedge. Too far from her family, and too close to the fey, at least in a metaphorical-yet-real sense.

She breathes a sigh of relief at seeing Lily there.

"Hey, Lily. I... got some weird news. Got a minute?"

After minor chat, Emma tries to explain what she learned and what happened.
    "So, you remember me mentioning Reggie, right? Guy who introduced me to the Krew.
    "One of the changelings in the city's secret police visited me today while I was with the grandkids. Typhoon, or at least that's the name he gave. Crocadile-headed dude. Scary. And some other changeling I ran into at the bank told me I was right to be afraid... Anyway, he said Reggie and his motley are investigating stuff bad for the city, asked if I talked to Reggie or his motley about it, knew anything. I don't. But I'm wondering if I should reach out to Reggie. I feel like I should give him the benefit of the doubt, let him explain things... but if he really is doing something bad for the city and its Freeholds... guess I should report him, y'know?
    "

Show
    If it's easier, you can assume she honestly answers any follow-up questions about the conversation with Typhoon. She's not trying to hide or misdirect anything.

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Calliope 'Lily' Snowden

Calliope looked up as Emma popped on in and gave a meek, mild smile towards her fellow Motley-mate.
    "Hello Emma. I think I do recall although, you only mentioned him once if I recall correctly. Bad for the city? From whose point of view? To see is to believe, so, unless it's directly harmful for you, I think it'd be best to hear out that Reggie fella. Listen and then figure what is right to do. Not having the full picture can be bad to make a choice from. What if you do the wrong thing, right? Maybe try to contact a few discreet hobgoblins and figure a way to potentially get a clearer picture through a small deal with one of them. Information for a little increased debt, ya know." Calliope said, having turned off the music she'd had been listening to prior to Emma's arrival.
    "We are of the Winter Court, so garnering information should be a natural for us, yeah?" Calliope added in with a knowing gaze at Emma.
    Last edited by Hemnon; 2020-07-14 at 04:39 AM.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma bites her lip in nervousness at the idea of working with hobgoblins and debt.

"I can see your point, but I'm not really comfortable talking with hobgoblins or getting them to look into this. I don't like the idea of what debt it might cost to keep them from telling the secret police on us. Yet... maybe I should just see if Reggie could meet me somewhere in public. Give him a chance. If he's into something dangerous, probably best I don't go to his home, yeah?"

She sighs. "Winter's cloak helps me with lies, but I'm still not great compared to other changelings. Humans don't really stand a chance to see through what I tell them, but I wouldn't want to trade wits with hobgoblins or nefarious changelings. Still... Reggie does seem an old-school honorable type. He might not see through me. Though... if Reggie does trust me enough to tell me some personal stuff, one of my Contracts might be helpful to get him to tell me more."

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Emma bites her lip in nervousness at the idea of working with hobgoblins and debt.

"I can see your point, but I'm not really comfortable talking with hobgoblins or getting them to look into this. I don't like the idea of what debt it might cost to keep them from telling the secret police on us. Yet... maybe I should just see if Reggie could meet me somewhere in public. Give him a chance. If he's into something dangerous, probably best I don't go to his home, yeah?"

She sighs. "Winter's cloak helps me with lies, but I'm still not great compared to other changelings. Humans don't really stand a chance to see through what I tell them, but I wouldn't want to trade wits with hobgoblins or nefarious changelings. Still... Reggie does seem an old-school honorable type. He might not see through me. Though... if Reggie does trust me enough to tell me some personal stuff, one of my Contracts might be helpful to get him to tell me more."
    Calliope 'Lily' Snowden

Calliope lightly pursed her lips in response to the irksome feeling that Emma had towards Hobgoblins and such. "Hmmmph.... I think it wouldn't hurt to still put an ear to the ground with them... hear what it'd cost. learn what it might cost and if you can pay it immediately or easily, you won't really end up with Goblin Debt to begin with." Calliope said, and found herself slightly surprised at how well she seemed to understand the Hobgoblins now that she thought about it.... odd.

She gave a much more firm nod as Emma mentioned how she'd like to deal with Reggie.
    "Heh, well we are both of winter, so I know what you mean on that front. But I agree that it'd be best to approach Reggie in a way that is easily seen as 'regular reason'. None of that sneaking around and looking very suspect the moment anyone catches on to what you are doing."
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma nods.

"Well... not that I mean to really ask you to put yourself at risk, but if you'd be willing to ask around the Market about if anyone heard what Typhon is looking into or Reggie's motley... I guess I don't mind. In the meantime, I can ask Reggie to meet me for lunch or dinner somewhere. We do usually meet up once a month or so, so it's a reasonable enough request at this point."

Show
    I know some groups are very anti-"split the party", but it also seems helpful sometimes during info-gathering times. I'm fine going with the OOC preference, even if Emma is mentioning such IC at the moment.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Emma nods.

"Well... not that I mean to really ask you to put yourself at risk, but if you'd be willing to ask around the Market about if anyone heard what Typhon is looking into or Reggie's motley... I guess I don't mind. In the meantime, I can ask Reggie to meet me for lunch or dinner somewhere. We do usually meet up once a month or so, so it's a reasonable enough request at this point."

Show
    I know some groups are very anti-"split the party", but it also seems helpful sometimes during info-gathering times. I'm fine going with the OOC preference, even if Emma is mentioning such IC at the moment.
    Calliope 'Lily' Snowden

Calliope pursed her lips a little in thought. "Well.... I guess I could. As for where to meet with Reggie... why not here? It's the safest place for any private talk. You don't really need to show him HOW to get here tho, and I'd prefer you do not do so. But once the way is open, you can bring him with you." Calliope stated, clearly not happy with the idea of having strangers here, but at the same time, this WAS the safest place for such private talks, and she knew to be objective in her thoughts, espeically since she got bestowed with the mantle of winter after joining the Cayoodle Krew Freehold.
    "Would you give me something of yours that can bind any deal that requires more than I can realistically provide myself, to give you the debt? I wouldn't ask this normally and I know it's a lot to ask for to trust someone else with what could potentially be a strongly binding debt..." She said and seemed very unsure if she should have even asked for this.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #955
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

"I-uh, I don't really know what of mine could be used to bind me in proxy. But if you find something really expensive... I reckon I could come later to verify I'd pay. I'm not very familiar with how goblins work. As for Reggie... if he is into something bad, I don't want him coming to our sanctuary. I get the feeling you feel the same. I'll ask him to dinner somewhere public. It's a little riskier for me, but safer in some ways, too."

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"I-uh, I don't really know what of mine could be used to bind me in proxy. But if you find something really expensive... I reckon I could come later to verify I'd pay. I'm not very familiar with how goblins work. As for Reggie... if he is into something bad, I don't want him coming to our sanctuary. I get the feeling you feel the same. I'll ask him to dinner somewhere public. It's a little riskier for me, but safer in some ways, too."
    Calliope 'Lily' Snowden

"Well, with the hobgoblins, it's a lot more.... uh... esoteric, in what kind of payment they ask for. Be it hoof-nail clippings from a goat, to the sensual memories of what the food you ate last night tasted like. It can be that strange... or maybe they ask for a lock of hair, or the require your firstborn child, etc. Maybe they ask for a stipulated favor to be fulfilled later... One cannot say until the payment for whatever you want, is put to detail." Calliope said and pursed her lips in thought for a second. "Well, we could make an actually-signed contract that holds a certain level of value, which I can use to trade with, should be payment be something I cannot provide myself, but I know you can afford. I could bring one of those pocket-sized telephones and I could call you after I find out what the cost will be to hear if it's something you wish to accept in with me as proxy, handing over the contract? As I said, this is beyond just friendly support - I wouldn't ask you of this if not for the fact that, from what you've mentioned to me, is very important that such information is found with relation to this whole.... Halloween Contract or what not, along with this Typhon and whatever else can be bargained for with relation to this whole kerfuffle." Calliope said. Yeah she was pursing her lips a lot - Seemed to be a small tic of hers for when in thought.
    Awesome avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma trusts her motley-mate, so, with the explanation, it sounds reasonable enough.

"Yeah, that sounds fine. I guess a small note of promise, I could write up, and you could call me to check if something's okay. As long as it doesn't directly or indirectly hurt my family or hinder my ability to care for them."
    Spoiler: OOC Note
    Show
    I'm not really sure what IC to write for it, and Emma'd leave it mostly up to Lily, but I guess something sorta like an IOU. I'm fine RPing the details if desired, but figured I'd start the call to Reggie at least as a 'side scene' to help things move.

---

Once the 'contract' is resolved, Emma steps back into their house and almost starts to dial Reggie's number. Remembering that Typhoon somehow found her when nobody should know where she was, she at first thinks she should go to a public place or try to find one of the rare payphones still around, but then decides calling Reggie at this stage probably looks like she's trying to help Typhoon.

With some fear, and steadying the tone of her Mask, she dials Reginald's number.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The first call goes to Reggie's voice message after just a few rings. The second after just one ring. If/when she tries again, the ringer just goes and goes, never reaching a voice message, though something happens; the tone and rhythm of the ring seems to phase in and out, like the doppler affect of a siren.

The sound reminded Emma somehow of bells tinkling in Arcadia. She could not place the memory; a sort of magic filled deja vu. While not certain of it, Emma was fairly confident that she wasn't getting through to Reggie because he had crossed over into at least the Hedge.

Despite her better judgement, Emma tried one last time, expecting the call to be in vain. But this time the line picked up, "Tie him down!" It was Reggie's voice shouting the command. It was as if Emma could not be heard, as the Changeling continues, "No, not like that... Oh! Oh no!" Reggie's voice was blotted out by a guttural animalistic scream, so loud that Emma had to pull the phone back from her ear. Then the line went dead. It sounded like Reggie was in trouble!

Lily on the other hand headed out to the French Market. On this side of The Hedge, The French Market was a collinade of shops and stands off of the Mississipi river; mostly selling trinkets, mementos and cheap clothing. Once the market had been a Native American trading post, but now was little more than a glorified tourist trap.

Of course, there were several doors and access points that led off of the Market into the Hedge where the true Goblin Market could be found. The Tumbledown Market was a sprawling cacophonous expanse of stalls and small shops that wound out for miles and miles into The Hedge. It was rumored that The Tumbledown Market was the largest goblin market anywhere in the world, and was so vast that corners of the market could be used to escape into other towns across America. Smells of exotic Fae spices, smokey grilled sweet meats, and floral goblin fruit assaulted the senses, just as the call of hawkers and performers filled the ears. One could easily get lost in the market, and it was often best to know what you were looking for. Members of the Freehold of Fair Coin, as well as the plentiful goblins were merciless and could find many ways to part an unprepared Changeling from his wallet.

(OOC: Again, sorry for the delays)
    Show

29. - Top - End - #959
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma's thoughts become more troubled as the unanswered phone becomes one with traces of Arcadian influence. She is left speechless after the call has ended.

Who was Reggie assaulting in the Hedge? And who was that screaming? Reggie himself, one of his motley, his victim?
    How could she even respond or act to something like this? She couldn't do anything. Even rewinding time wouldn't change it, from anything she could tell.

Uncertain what to do, Emma decides on a relatively safe, if still risky, route. Assuming the face of a stranger, she decides to go visit Reggie's home, hoping the false visage will keep her safe, or at least unidentified.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using her kith ability to forge a false human appearance. I guess a mid-20s woman with long blonde hair.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Emma quickly departed for Reggie's house. By foot it was about a twenty minute walk, and fortunately the October air was finally cooling down as afternoon turned to evening. Reggie and his motley lived in an old Victorian off of St. Charles in the CBD. Nearby, the city's closest approximations to high rises towered, placing the junker of a home in their shadows. Like a poor attempt at a Garden District mansion, Reggie's home had a large surrounding lawn; mostly just dirt clods and patches of weeds, and the wrought iron perimeter fence was mostly red with rust. It looked like the house had once been painted a sky blue with white and pink trimming, but now most of the paint was stripped, and the remaining had turned a mottled grey. Emma had only seen Reggie's home twice before, but it seemed like very time she stopped by there was a black storm cloud looming just over the house's roof, ignoring the otherwise fine weather of the surrounding neighborhood.

Fortunately for Emma, the front gate had been left open; perhaps permanently, based on how rusted the hinges were. Though the building looked like the quintessential haunted house, Emma could feel no malice or sense of foreboding coming from within.
    Show