New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

It's the Red Ogre's turn to speak up. His grey eyes wide with amazement, he says, "You mean if you bury that body, it will turn into a tree that grows magical fruit?" There is unbridled childlike excitement in the goliath's words, and he actually clasps his hands together with wonderment.

The Green Ogre chimes in and says, "No idiot. The tree wouldn't grow magical fruit. It would be a tree that grew tokens and trifles. Were'n't you listening to what the little birdy said?" The statement is made so confidently, as if it were the most obvious thing in the word.

"Ooooh," replies the red one, though based on the look of puzzlement on his face, it was possible he was still pretty lost, before adding, "Well I bet that would still be a great present for Queen Aubree!"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Sebastian nearly rolls his eyes at the dimwitted pair of ogres. He clears his throat.

“Right. Gentlemen. You want goblin fruit? Let us pass and when we return I will lead you to the nearest fruits. I will even identify them for you, so they will not harm you or your queen. Do we have a deal?”

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"You must give us goblin fruit before you pass," The red ogre says belligerently, stepping towards Sebastian while threateningly shaking his club.

The green ogre interrupts him though saying, "We want your Token tree. That would make a lovely gift for our queen!"

"Yes, give us your Token tree!", the red one concurs excitedly.

(OOC: Sorry, all those successful persuasion rolls have gotten the ogres excited about this tree)
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-02 at 07:05 AM.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy continues grinning like a buffoon 'We came to bury him, gentlemen, so that the token tree can grow.' He lets the smile slowly fall from his face, like the sun setting behind the horizon, it left his face suddenly cold and sad 'But we have no fruit to give you, and so we must bury him elsewhere. I am sure Queen Rannath will like the token tree as much as we thought Queen Aubree would.' He starts to turn away, subtly signalling the others do likewise.

man+sub
    3+1
    (4d10)[5][5][1][5](16)
    10again
    (4d10)[5][4][2][2](13)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #425

Beholder

Sebastian looks between the Ogre, Reggie, then back at the Ogre, and again at Reggie before making a gesture that is a cross between a shrug and walking through a spider web.

“Yes, right, going elsewhere!”

6. - Top - End - #426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird glanced away when the Ogres misinterpreted his words, keeping silent for a while so as to allow his fellows to speak. After Reggy made his attempt to go along with their mistaken perspective, he retrieved his guitar from his back, readying himself for the possibility that the creatures might not buy into the trick.
    Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-07-04 at 09:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Sorry, was going to see if Ladorak wanted to turn that into a Dramatic Failure, but just gonna move things along here)

The Red Ogre steps forward to block Reggy's way, pounding his tree trunk club into the ground with a loud thud. "You shall not pass, unless you give us the special tree seedling!"

The green one notices Songbird's readied makeshift weapon and simply snort-laughs, making the noise of someone pulling mucus up from their throat.

Big Tom immediately steps forward to put himself between the red ogre and Reggy, drawing his massive blade and in a low assassin's voice says, "I dare you to make another move,"
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-04 at 01:58 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Well, that didn't work." Songbird sighed as the Ogres ready themselves for combat, preparing to play his own song. "I suppose it was worth a shot, though."

"Think it might be time for some music-..." Songbird quickly pointed at his earholes, making sure that all of his allies could notice - a warning.

Spoiler
    Show

Hopefully those Ogres are too dumb to figure out the plan. I'll roll Initiative, if I have to.
    (1d10)[3] + 8

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

'See how cleverly they trap us my friends?' Reggy grinned at his friends mischievously 'We cannot pass, nor may we leave. Such existential uncertainty is cruel! We must remain lest we do and be nothing at all.' He shakes his head in mock sadness, mock defeat 'I have no choice, I must show you where we hid the seed. I am no man for standing still.' He darts forward, grasping at the ogre's club blocking his way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Discreet summons

Manipulation + Persuasion + Wyrd vs. Composure + Wyrd vs. Composure + Wyrd
    Loophole: The changeling pulls an object from a location belonging to, or guarded by, an enemy
    (7d10)[5][10][5][2][9][6][5](42)
    10again
    (7d10)[7][7][9][7][7][7][8](52)

Assuming success Reggy will produce a magic seed from the club
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-05 at 08:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Songbird steps forward, taking his guitar in hand like a magical sword to take on the foes standing before him.

But Reggy rushes forward to step in between Songbird, and the red ogre. The Fairest deftly reaches his hand into a hollow of the massive uprooted tree club, fumbling his hand about before retrieving from the weapon, a single shiny brown seed.

The red ogre stumbles back, eyes bulging wide, free hand raised to his mouth to stifle a loud and rumbling gasp. The green ogre also takes a step away from Reggy, and with a mixture of amazement and terror says, "How did you do that?"

(OOC: Reggy successfully activates the contract, and using his loophole, spends no Glamour. However, if it is a magic seed, it must be one Reggy has seen before, and can't be too special, as per the rules of the contract. So Ladorak, what is this magic seed?)
    Show

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Nothing too mischievous. Could it be a hobgoblin fruit version of chillis? Like stupidly hot chillis?

'Magic my friend.' Reggy was enjoying himself, relishing the role of the huxter. It was good to be out of that rotting house 'A small taste of what the tree can do for you. You plant this down, wait a few months, you'll have quite the gift to present to your Queen.'

Spoiler
    Show
    Presence+Persuasion to 'sell' the seed
    (6d10)[2][7][4][1][10][10](34)
    10-again
    (6d10)[1][2][4][9][8][5](29)
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-05 at 04:52 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The green ogre speaks up this time, "A Goblin Fruit tree? Queen Aubree would have a tree blooming Goblin Fruit just for her!"

The red ogre scowls slightly and complains, "But how long will that take? We won't have anything to show for months!"

Shrugging at this, the green ogre says, "Perhaps we should bring them to our Queen, so she can approve this amazing gift," he pauses here, a mischievous look growing in his round cow eyes, "or perhaps we could take the seed, and just not tell Queen Aubree about this at all..."
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ogre in the Playground

'Why, that didn't even occur to me!' cried Reggy. As he warmed to the role of an affable idiot his old Upper Class English accent became more and more pronounced. He was dusting off his old habits and mannerisms subconsciously, for the biggest fool he could imagine was precisely the type of person he used to be. 'Why, two enterprising sorts such as yourselves, who knows what you could do with so much power?
    'And surely, so much power is worth waiting a few short months for?'
    He held out the seed enticingly, although well out of snatching range 'Have you ever held the key to your future prosperity and happiness in your hand? I assure you, it is quite intoxicating.'

Spoiler
    Show
    Presence+Persuasion (Charming)
    4+2+1
    (7d10)[8][7][7][9][3][5][5](44)
    10-again
    (7d10)[5][5][8][9][4][5][5](41)
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434

Beholder

Sebastian stands by, trying his best to smile convincingly as a way to back Reggie’s patter up.

“It does seem like a good idea. Very tempting. If you pass on it...I may want it!”

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The green one steps forward, hands greedily reaching out towards Reggy and Sebastian. "No! We'll take the seed, give us the seed," he blubbers.

The red one also hurries forward, shouting at his brother, "Not fair. I want the seed!"
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy's smile got a little wider and a lot more wicked, this was exactly what he'd been hoping for. He winks obviously at the Red Ogre and says, in a hoarse stage whisper loud enough for all to hear 'Don't worry old boy, I don't think he saw. He'll never know you were hiding it in your club all along. Your secret is safe.'
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #437
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The green ogre gives his brother a nasty glare, lips curling back to expose yellow fangs. The red ogre stammers, "I didn't know it was there, I swear. If I had known I woulda' planted it by now, don't ya' think!"
    Show

18. - Top - End - #438

Beholder

Sebastian makes a series of gestures that are unmistakably communicating that it is absolutely time to go and he begins to, slowly, resume their path towards the gates.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird kept silent, not wanting to interrupt Reggy's ruse, but he tensed up again when he tried to turn them against each other instead of just giving them the seed.

"Damn it, Reggy-... You couldn't have been a little more quiet? The red one heard." The avian changeling whispered to the Fairest in a similar manner to how he whispered to the Ogre, trying to aid in the ruse.

Show

Should I roll anything for that?

Last edited by Ohiska; 2019-07-09 at 10:47 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The green ogre opens his mouth wide and bellows at his companion, the growl releasing a foul odor of rotted onion and overripe meat. He lifts his blade above his head and brings the flat down on the top of the red one's head. The blade makes a comical metallic boing as it connects with the red ogre's thick skull, and the massive goblin stumbles backwards, momentarily stunned.

"Oy, what did you do that for?" the red ogre snarls, now flashing his tusk like fangs. The green ogre charges and now the two ogres are grappling, their massive hands pinching and pulling, their massive feet sending small earthquake shudders through the ground with every footfall!
    Show

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

Without a word Reggy turns smartly on his heel and continues down the path, grinning like a cheshire cat.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #442
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird smirked a little at Reggy, before following him down the path, trying to avoid being noticed by the fighting goblins.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The group of Lost quickly scurry away from the ensuing ogre battle, heading back down towards the path towards the Horn gates. Sebastian led his companions onward, till they come upon a French-Creole Colonial House that would be more appropriate on Bourbon Street than standing in the middle of an over-forested swamp.

The two story brick building has a rather plane facade, the bricks painted a light weathered pink color, with baby blue painted wooden door and shuttered windows. However, rather than wrought iron fixtures, pillars, and fencing for the second floor balconies, the metal has been replaced by cream colored polished horn. Lush potted plants of an unearthly green hang bloom on and hang from the second floor balcony, filling the air with the smells of pineapple and banana. The unreal Gate of Horn seems to shimmer in the hazy swamp fog, and seems to stare at the Changelings invitingly.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444

Beholder

Sebastian practically runs up to touch the gate, warmly, appreciatively, as if it were a person.

“We’re here. Once we are inside, I’ll try to find a dream that resonates with what I know of Arthur. That would be a good place to bury him. An honorable dream to be his rest.”

Sebastian only lets his face show his pure happiness and excitement when he turns back to the gate and pulls it open, preparing to draw upon his experience sculpting dreams.

Show
    I’m getting my car worked on so I don’t have my books, so I don’t know the rolls for oneiropomp-ing. I’m looking for a dream that matches the feeling of the notes Sebastian took on Arthur.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sebastian opens the wooden door, it comes open with much resistance. Sebastian is greeted by a whoosh of wind and the white noise that one might hear from a radio between stations. At first the entrance behind the door is all static, till the party steps through.

The door has opened onto a stone walkway, made of a polished stone somewhat similar to marble, but hued in dark blues and purples. Yellow and and white veins course and pulse through these massive stone tablets, boarded on either side by an ebbing and flowing sea of stars. The watery sky-substance, crashes and then pulls away from the stone walkway, like waves on a beach, spraying scents of chamomile and jasmine. These blend with the spicy smell of Glamour that floats heavily in this space. The sky water creeps up the lip of the stone walkway, sending greedy fingers out towards the Changelings.

The sky above mirrors the night-ocean, an ebbing and shifting starscape with moons of various phases jetting slowly, like commercial airliners overhead. Several of the moons have faces in them. Leering and oafish, these faces jeer and jibber at the motley of Lost.

The space is simultaneously inviting, and deeply unsettling; evoking a similar feeling to being in Arcadia for a prolonged period of time. It feels like the walls of reality are slowly closing in on the Changelings, closer and closer to wrap around them like the web of a spider.

Show
    So per the rules, navigating the Dream Roads is like navigating The Hedge in an area of Thorns. So this becomes essentially an extended contested chase scene with the Changelings vs. the Hedge/Dreamscape. Or Trod rating will be two, as this is not the most sinister part of the dream roads.

So, the goal number of successes will be 7. Sebastian will roll Wits+ Occult to navigate the Dream roads, though each member of the party can roll the same with their successes adding to his dice pool. The Hedge's dice pool will be 6 dice in contrast. I will roll for The Hedge here (6d10)[1][1][3][8][2][1](16)

EDIT: A whopping 1 success
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-10 at 05:47 PM.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #446
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Good job, man!" Songbird waited until they were at a safe distance from the fighting Ogres before he spoke and offered a thumbs up. He looked like he was going to speak further, but was interrupted by the appearance of the colonial house, remaining silent until the Wizened ran to open the gates.

"Copy that, Seb. Don't know how much use I'll be at finding a spot, but I can help weave things more to our liking once we've reached a Bastion." The avian changeling replied to the Wizened as the latter opened the gate, before tentatively stepping on in.

"Woah-..." Songbird gazed in awe at the beauty of his surroundings, until he started to feel the walls closing in on him, bringing back horrible memories. "Don't wanna linger here for too long-... This whole place feels like the cage."

Show

I'm gonna go ahead and spend a Willpower on this, as I'll just have a chance die without it.

Wits 3 + Occult 0 + Willpower 3 - 3 (Unskilled) = 3
    (3d10)[5][1][8](14)

Unrelated side note: I was going through the Clarity rules, checking to see if this would trigger anything in Songbird. Didn't seem like it, but I realised he should have had a Breaking Point when he found out Arthur wasn't the guy he thought he was-... Sorry I didn't notice that at the time.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

'The whole hedge has always felt uncannily like a prison to me.' Reggy said absently 'A very untidy one with very inconsistent wardens.'

Show
    wits+occult
    2+1
    (3d10)[6][6][4](16)
    10 again
    (3d10)[2][7][2](11)
    Edit: No dramatic fail, seems like a bad idea currently
    Last edited by Ladorak; 2019-07-12 at 05:23 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Imere nods her head in agreement, shuddering slightly, "I'd much rather be back in front of a computer. I've never really walked the Dream Roads, and they are somehow even more unsettling than the rest of the Hedge." She looks up at a bafoonish looking moon that appears to be grinning down at her as it slowly floats across the sky. It winks and sticks its forked tongue out at her.

Tom says nothing, stoic as ever, moving to the back of the group as if to take point and offer protection to the back of the pack.

The going is slow as Sebastian desperately tries to navigate his way across the strange dream-scape. The stone path winds its way across the night's waters, and Sebastian does his best to pick the path when the group comes to crossroads. The stones slowly get smaller as the group moves, the strange flowing waters climbing hungrily towards the Changelings. Each step becomes slowly more slippery than the last. A heavy sort of sleepiness begins to creep its way into the heads of the Changelings, a whisper saying 'maybe we should just lie down for a moment... just close our eyes... just for a moment's nap'.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Okay, so next roll as we navigate through the Hedge, this will be Stamina + Occult, as the group begins to fatigue
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2019-07-12 at 07:33 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #449
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird just sort of trailed behind Sebastian, trying to focus on the road instead of his own feeling of claustrophobia and struggling to ignore the desire to rest.

"You think these guys are real? Or just dreams?" He looked up at one of the jeering moons, wondering. "Maybe we could ask 'em if they know a good spot."

Show

I'm not gonna try lending dice to Sebastian, as I would have to spend more Willpower-... Need to save some for the way out, after all. Speaking of which - does a mirror in a dream count as a real mirror for the purposes of Mirrorwalking?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

With every footfall Reggy's steps got heavier and heavier, until he is practically dragging his heels through the dust. Likewise his eyelids were drooping under the steady relentless accumulation of weight not of their own making. 'Stay together!' he called to the others, sound advice, but he followed it up with a muttered 'Stay in formation!' Clear evidence his mind had wandered to darker times.

Show
    Sta+Occult
    3+1
    (4d10)[7][7][5][5](24)
    10-again
    (4d10)[5][6][1][2](14)
    Spoiler
    Show