New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

Spoiler
    Show

... I'm an idiot, I forgot it was 'rollv', rather than just 'roll'. Sorry to take up so many posts.

(4d10)[6][7][8][1](22)
    10-Again:(4d10)[5][1][9][10](25)

2. - Top - End - #812
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: @Ohiska
    Show
    So Songbird had 4 unfilled clarity boxes, so his dice pool should have been 7d10 for the 3+ modifier I mentioned in my last post. I see that (after a few attempts ) you rolled 4d10. I have rolled an additional 3d10 for you in the OOC thread, which netted Songbird an additional success for a total of 2. Songbird spent 1 WP for the Kenning and is down to 2/5.

Reggy looks around the restaurant floor, and his eyes are first drawn to a Fairest sitting alone at a small table, daintily enjoying a bowl of stew (maybe courtboullion). Her skin is like alabaster, her blonde hair literally the finest threads of white-gold. Her Mask shows her hair hidden under a small black french bonnet, but her Mein reveals this to be a shimmering jeweled tiara, and a similarly jeweled scepter rests on the table before her. Both royal items appear to be made of glittering ice. This is Lady Ezmerelda, the Queen of The Lagniappe Tribunal's Winter Court. She catches Reggy's glance and gives him a cold knowing smile, before gracefully bringing a spoon of courtboullion to her mouth, the steam immediately disappearing when it reaches her lips.

Farther down the restaurant, Reggie catches sight of another member of the Cayoodle Krewe, an old friend of his and fellow Summer Courtier. Sparky was an aged fire Elemental, whose Mask showed a handsome African American man in his fit 60s, though in his Mein his grey hair was instead a low kindling fire, his eyes burning like emeralds. Sparky had been a native to the New Orleans Treme, and knew the city like few others did.

Across the table from Reggy, Songbird was using spending Glamour to sniff out any sources of supernatural power. Songbird's attention was immediately drawn to Fairest queen dining at Galatoire's. But then Songbird picked up something strange coming from the wait staff. Some form of magic was working at Galatoire's to keep the waiters moving so quickly, working so attentively, and appearing at just the right moment to service the patrons. It was a powerful contract whatever it was, and its source seemed to be coming from the kitchen, guarded by a pair of swinging wooden double doors.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy grimaced slightly 'Lady Ezmerelda is here.' In all likelihood she was only here for a meal but it certainly increased the danger in the room 'And a friend. We all need to be on our best behavior.' He hoped them would understand his hidden meaning, it would be unwise to speak too openly.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Is Sparky eating alone?
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sparky is with a younger woman, also African American; maybe a date (despite the age difference), or maybe a relative. They seem close, and keep laughing and smiling at each other. He was wearing a cream colored linen three piece suit over a baby pink button down, the wrinkled jacket hanging lazily over his chair-back. She was a in a green and yellow floral print dress that was very flattering, her dark curls in waves down to her shoulders.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy eyed his friend's date both disappointed and relieved. Best not to involve him then, it would be risky even if a mortal wasn't involved. On the plus side he seemed quite enamored with her, hopefully it would be some time before he caught sight of Reggy 'I'd rather not... introduce my friend at the moment. Do we have a plan of action gentlemen?'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

”I presume that violence is not currently called for.” Tom said in response to Reggy’s question. His dark eyes kept furtively glancing around, the Vigilance of Ares still heavy upon him as if expecting the wait staff to pull weapons at any moment.

The Snowskin Ogre was curious about the Queen of the Winter Court. His frosty nature was thawing from the heat of his own Summer Court affiliation – but there was something about the winter that called to his older persona.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

7. - Top - End - #817
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"I'm hoping it won't come to that, at all." Songbird spoke with the same accent he used earlier, taking a moment to read through the menu properly as he did so. "Think I might have some escargot to start-... Kind of got a taste for them after I got my feathers. After that maybe I'll try some of that turtle soup-... Ooh, and some fine wine, definitely. "

"By the way, the service here has been just enchanting, hasn't it? This whole place really is magical." He lowered his voice at that. "I think our other friend's at work in the kitchen-... Think you could get in there, Reggy?"

8. - Top - End - #818
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy frowned for a second, until understanding dawned and he adopted a carefully neutral expression and tone 'Good eye my friend, the escargot is especially good here. But it is kind of you to note how excellent the staff are, no small point of pride for us.' He leaned forward and covered his mouth with the menu 'I can take a look, but it might get loud, be ready to bail me out...'
    Reggy got up and made his way to the kitchen, giving both Krew members a wide berth. He stopped to collect a few empty plates to disguise his purpose, but he knew it would offer little protection if his illusion was broken.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anything I need to roll as I enter the kitchen?
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: @Ladorak
    Show
    So Reggy is still using his contract I assume. Given that he is dressed very well, people are probably going to assume he is a waiter. I suppose you have the option of going in with stealth, which I will ask you to roll for, or just relying on the contract.

But if you are going to go in as a waiter, give me an Intelligence + Occult roll first.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Just going in as a waiter and trusting in Mask of Superiority. Not Reggy's strong point better spend a WP
    int+occut+wp
    1+1+3
    (5d10)[4][1][5][7][9](26)
    10again
    (5d10)[9][7][2][10][10](38)
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    WP spent, and updated in the OOC thread. Reggy is down to 4

Before he gets up from the table Reggie has the thought, "If the waiters are being controlled by magic, will they be expecting me to act a certain way when I am in the Kitchen?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

Show
    Typically for the contract you roll Presence + Subterfuge contested by Wits + Empathy if you act out of character. Assuming that's the dicepool I'm willing to risk it. I don't really see another way to progress things
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Sounds good. Sorry to delay things with the back and forth, just wanted to make sure we were on the same page.

Reggie stands up from the table and makes his way to the double doors. The patrons and wait staff on the floor seem to pay him no mind. The two wooden doors swing inward with almost no resistance and Reggie finds himself in a large hot kitchen, filled with the smells of Creole cuisine; fish and peppers and cream. The floors are a well polished white tile, the walls white stucco. Lines of long black granite work tables and long stove tops are swarmed by a number of frantically working men and women in white chef's uniforms and aprons. They look up at Reggie as he enters, some shooting perhaps confused glances, but most seem to pay Reggie little mind. The staff are too busy chopping, frying and plating dishes; all except for the stout Changeling holding a massive cleaver.

Marv (who else could it be) had a mask of a short hard white man with a shaved head, bushy eyebrows, and a nose like an eagle's. His arms were thick and well muscled, stretching the white linen sleeves of his uniform. Behind the mask, Marv's skin was actually green, and two short yellow-brown horns protruded from his forehead. Tusk like fangs protruded from his massive mandible, and his human brown eyes were actually yellow with cat's pupils.

Marve does a double take when Reggie enters the kitchen and with a mix of confusion and anger says, "Can I help you?"

(OOC: How about that Presence + Subterfuge roll now please. Marv rolls two successes).

Meanwhile, at the table, the two Changelings are being served a lovely first course of buttery roast snails, and rich courtboullion, a seafood stew served over a small bed of rice. By this time, the other Changelings in the room, whom Reggie pointed out, have noticed Tom and Songbird, and nervous furtive glances indicating acknowledgement are passed between the Changelings.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom eyed the food in front of him suspiciously for several long moments before taking a fork - likely the wrong one - and taking a bite of the seafood stew.

When he noticed the furtive glances of the other Lost, he gave a barely seen tip of his head to indicate an acknowledgement before sampling some of the roast snails.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The stew is delicious; rich and full of flavor in only the style you could find in New Orleans... or perhaps in Arcadia.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird also took a moment to examine the food in front of him, wondering at whether it might be poisoned. Surely not, right? Slowly, carefully, he went through the process of extracting the meat from the shell of the cooked snails, then brought it up to taste. He started eating more naturally after that, not wanting to appear too suspicious.

"Keep cool, we've been noticed." The avian changeling said softly, before offering an idle waved acknowledging the changeling Reggy mentioned was a friend of his. "So, Tom-... What sort of music do you like?"

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy smiles politely, trying to seem ever so slightly confused 'Quite the opposite, I'm here to help you.'

Spoiler
    Show
    Spending another WP
    Presence+sub+WP
    4+1+3
    (8d10)[4][9][6][2][9][7][4][5](46)
    10again
    (8d10)[2][2][5][4][3][1][7][8](32)
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

”Eh…” Tom paused, caught off guard by Songbird’s question. The large Ogre blinked his black eyes, before leveling them upon the Changeling.

”I…used to listen to more…well, I suppose you would call it…folk?” He begins. ”But, I do not mind jazz. Maybe some blues.”

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(OOC: Reggie is now down to 3/5 WP. He rolled two successes, tying Marv's roll. Tie goes to the runner.)

One of Marv's bushy eyebrows goes up, but the chef is clearly busy. He gives a small shrug and impatiently says, "Okay, what? You don't know which of these orders is yours?" He impatiently points to a table just to the side of the kitchen doors, where ready dishes wait their servers. The aroma coming from the food is enough to make Reggy's mouth water just slightly, though as far as he can tell, there is nothing magical about the food, or much of the kitchen.

As Tom and Songbird are chatting, another waiter seems to materialize out of nowhere. He smiles at the two politely and asks, "And how are we enjoying our first course?"
    Show

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

”It is wonderful.” Tom said to the waiter as he suddenly appeared at their table. ”Thank you.” The Ogre did seem particularly pleased with the food, which perhaps was a bit silly given his large and intimidating persona.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy inclines his head in deference 'Of course sir. I'll get back to work.' He makes his way to the plates, but his eyes are darting about the kitchen, and in particular lingering on Marv himself

Spoiler
    Show
    wits+empathy to try and read Maev's emotional state
    2+2
    (4d10)[8][2][3][4](17)
    10again
    (4d10)[4][5][2][1](12)
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Marv shrugs, turning his back on Reggy to begin looking over the shoulder of a young female chef who was working over a large cast iron pan. She seems to bristle with anxiety as he looms over her shoulder, and begins reprimanding her for her poor technique.

As far as Reggy can tell, Marv is just focused on his work in the kitchen, overseeing the frantic swarm of cooks as they prepare meals for New Orleans' one percent. However, Reggy is also pretty certain that Marv is no longer paying attention to him.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #833
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

"Huh-... I guessed you'd be more into rock and roll, for some reason. Blues, folk and jazz-... Nice." Songbird nodded after Tom answered his question, then looked to the waiter as he appeared. "Oh yeah, it's pretty great! Amazing, actually. What's your secret?"

Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for not being so active lately. I've been surprisingly busy in my quarantine.

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    No need to apologize. I should have been smart enough to do something with/for Tom and Songbird!

While Tom and Songbird are exchanging short pleasantries and getting to know each other, The Winter Queen of the Lagniappe Tribune rises from her seat, after daintily dabbing her mouth with her white linen napkin, and saunters over to the two Changelings. The temperature rapidly drops as she approaches to the point that when she reaches their table and puts a hand on the back of Tom's chair the silverware is covered in a sheen of cloudy frost. A glass vase with a small bouquet of flowers in the middle of the table actually cracks, and the flowers inside immediately begin to wilt.

Standing over Tom's shoulder, Lady Ezmerelda boys down at the two, her eyes a cold blue, and her tiara shimmering like icicles caught in the sunlight. "Boys," she says in an almost disinterested tone, "you would not happen to be members of my friend Sebastian's Motley, would you?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

The massive Ogre craned his head to look at Ezmerelda, black eyes raking across her as if taking her measure. It was possible that even sitting, he was still almost as tall as she.

After a moment, he wiped his mouth with a napkin and set it on the table, and rose from his chair to properly greet her.

”Aye, we are. Tom Mallory, my Lady. At your service.”

26. - Top - End - #836
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Songbird glanced over to the Winter Queen as she approached, offering a polite smile. He considered spinning some kind of lie about their connection to Sebastian, but he ultimately decided against it - besides, Tom had already answered.

"Well, hello there. Lady Ezmerelda, I presume? It really is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Songbird, at your service." The musician slid a little more into his natural accent, drawing upon his natural charm and charisma to make a good first impression. "I guess you could say I'm a new member? I haven't known Sebastian long, but he seems like a good guy."

Spoiler
    Show

Try to make a good first impression.

Presence 4 + Socialize 2 = 6

27. - Top - End - #837
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show

Forgot to actually roll. *Facepalm*

(6d10)[7][1][7][3][10][3](31)
    10-Again: (6d10)[7][3][1][1][5][7](24)

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    Did Marv leave anything personal behind that Reggy could swipe while his back is turned? Need it for a contract loophole.

Good, Marv's guard was down, he obviously wasn't expecting the Motley, or indeed anything else, to disturb his work day. He considered his next steps carefully, a plan was forming, complicated only by the Winter Queen lurking beyond the doors. He left the kitchen and his heart skipped a beat when he saw who had joined his friends, hoping not to be seen he made his way to the bathroom.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The Queen's smile remains plastered on her face and she says flatly, "The pleasure is mine." Her long fingernails, painted a midnight blue, rap on the wooden backing of Tom's chair like the sound of cracking knuckles. "From what I hear," and her breath is like frostbite on the side of Tom's neck and face, "you boys are getting yourselves into some... trouble. Perhaps we could talk about it. Perhaps I could help." Her pale blue eyes seem to shimmer for a moment as she gives Tom and Songbird a once over.

Before Tom leaves, he notes that Marv had put down a small white washcloth on the workbench, stained in places with oily stains, and possibly sopping in the man's sweat. Marv's back was turned, but it would take a dexterous feet of larceny to grab it from behind the man's back without him noticing.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

”Please….join us then.” Tom said as he pulled out a chair for the Queen in a gentlemanly show of chivalry. It was often easy to forget with Tom’s imposing demeanor that he aspired to the Vows of Chivalry.