New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    That sounds good. And, yeah, she'd encourage it and would still be shocked by it from time to time.

Emma gives a friendly smile to the sarcastic rebuke. "I don't you don't need me to come, but... well, it's a good day for a walk." Such brattiness had an innocence to it.
    Gathering up the other kids, they head out. She lets Jessica take the lead by several yards, so she'll have some privacy when meeting and walking with her friends.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The first stop is Linda McPherson's house. Though Travis' house was more than adequate, the McPherson's house was a veritable mansion. The family stopped at a tall iron fenced gate, and Jessica used a small microphoned box to contact her friend and call her to the gate.

Linda was taller than Jessica, with fair skin and silky black hair. Though only being ten, she wore short shorts and a tube top that would have been quiet revealing on an adult body. It was clear from the way that Jessica hung on Linda's commands just who was the leader of the two friends, and the two girls walked ahead of Emma and the twins, while Linda complained about her parents, and their new car, and how annoying Steven was.

The walk to Jacaranda park was fortunately a short one, and by the ends the twins were both frustrated and whining. To Emma's dismay, Jacaranda Park was very large, mostly made up of a near half acre of grass fields. The park was also decorated with a large sandbox and playground area, as well as an area with tightly packed short thin trees sprouting sky blue flowers. The park itself was picturesque to the point of perhaps recalling gardens in Arcadia.

Though the streets had been relatively empty, the park is practically packed with picnicers, and children, and people out with their dogs. As Emma leads the twins into the park, Linda turns back to Emma and says, "We're just going to go for a walk. We'll come back and find you. Jess has your cellphone, right?" Jessica shoots her grandmother a pleading look that again says, 'please don't embarrass me!'
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-05-15 at 05:22 PM.
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #903
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma didn't approve of this McPherson girl. Definitely a bad influence, though not in an unacceptable on. If Emma had joined the Autumn Court, she might be plotting how to terrify the spoiled brat into more palatable behavior. She'd definitely broken more than her share of spoiled and stubborn children when-- no, Emma shudders at the memory of her time in Arcadia, and realizes now how much the garden reminds her of it. Everything just too perfect, making her think something sinister lies underneath. Maybe that's why she's feeling so suspicious of Linda. Maybe a nightmare will visit Linda some night afterall, but no reason to make Jessica resentful or upset.

But, paranoia and sadness and fear are safety. As they walk, Emma looks closely at Linda, to make sure she is truly human. But she sees nothing to indicate she's a fetch or other inhuman creature. Besides, Emma had her Tricks.

She gives a playful nod towards Emma. "Go have fun. Call me if you need, Jess."
    Giving the boys instructions to stay on one of the playgrounds where she can see them, she takes out a small, handheld antique mirror. Stolen from her friend, the supposedly true grandmother.
    With a whisper and an invocation of ancient contracts, Emma looks through the mirror of the dreadful creature and thus sees and hears through the surface of Jessica's phone.

Keeping an ear out for trouble and occassionally glancing at the mirror, she mostly looks at the boys but keeps attention on Jess as well.

Spoiler: Contract
    Show

Activating Glimpse of a Distant Mirror, which has no roll. Using the mirror stolen from the fetch enables the loophole. Using it to look (and, as a Darkling, hear) through the surface of Jessica's cell phone.

Honesty time: I don't own a smartphone. Hate the things, but my wife has one. I assume the surface is reflective enough to count.

4. - Top - End - #904
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The twins rush off to the nearby playground, a large sandbox with a small play structure and a set of monkey bars. The two begin racing around the pit, somehow with endless energy and endless ability to entertain themselves.

Splitting her attention, Emma watches as Jessica walks off with Linda, the two shoulder to shoulder as they quickly dissolve into the crowd of people enjoying the Southern fall weather.

Emma pulls out the old silver lined mirror, and watches as her reflection slowly fades away in a mist, replaced by complete blackness. At first Emma is not certain if the contract had somehow failed, then there is a moment when the world of shadow seems to shift and tumble, and then the mirror is filled with light. In a moment Jessica's face is staring directly at Emma, and then the mirrored surface is assaulted by a series of swipes and jabs of a pair of thumbs. After a flurry of fingers, Emma gets one last glance at Jessica turning to say something to Linda, before the world tumbles and tumbles, and the mirror is left emitting a small black glow, once Jessica has returned the phone to her pocket.

Her view of her granddaughter cut off, Emma is left with a sudden cold anxiety.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Show
    As a Darkling, I can also hear through the phone. I reckon it'd be a bit muffled in her pocket, but I should still be able to hear most of their conversation. Or at least enough to know if they're talking or if something like a scuffle happens.

Also, let me know if you'd prefer stuff like this in the IC or OOC post.

Part of her feeling paranoia, Emma sits next to another (presumably) mother who is wearing sunglasses. Smiling at her as she sits, Emma catches her reflection in the woman's glasses.
    Backup plan: if Jessica is in trouble, plea for this woman to watch the boys as an emergency is quickly resolved. If the woman does something untoward, track her down through her sunglasses' reflectiveness.

Listening to the girls with a touch of worry, Emma pulls out her phone so it's not obvious the sound is coming from a mirror.

6. - Top - End - #906
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show
    My bad. I was at work and didn't look up the rules for the contract... and not only that but somehow missed that you had included that you could here! Again sorry.

And either way. It doesn't matter to me. I sometimes do this spoiler thing because not every player follows the OOC threads regularly and sometimes they will just straight up miss something in that thread. But I subscribe to every thread I'm a part of so I won't miss anything... except for when I brain fart like in the above situation.

The girls' conversation is incredibly banal; clothes, teachers, and crushes. It is driven heavily by Linda, with Jessica doing her best to agree or keep up with her friend.

About fifteen minutes into their superficial conversation about who the cutest member of The Vamps is, Linda interrupts the topic of their heated debate to ask, "Wait... do you see that? Is that guy staring at us?" Her voice suddenly punched through with concern.

Jessica's reply is a little confused, but clearly just as anxious, "Who, the homeless guy on the bench? Don't be silly... I'm sure he's just... well that it's just a coincidence, you know?"

"No," Linda insists, her voice somehow hitting a new octave, "that guy is definitely staring at us. And do you see how he is grinning? OMG!"
    Show

7. - Top - End - #907
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Panic courses through Emma, though she tries to hide it. No reason to worry the boys if they happen to be looking at her, nor the mom nearby who probably think it's an annoying book-on-tape or family video.

Still no image on the phone... which means Jessica isn't calling for help. The homeless man is probably not a threat. Even if he is, both young girls are in shape so they should be able to flee if they keep their wits about them. But Emma knows from unfortunate experience how easily children can freeze in fear.
    That, and a homeless 'man' grinning at young girls in a public park could easily be a hobgoblin or other nefarious creature.

Screw embarrassment.
    Taking a panicked look at her phone -- easily faked, since the panic is real -- Emma turns to the mom next to her and says, frantically, "H-hey, I'm sorry. My girl just texted me that some homeless guy is oogling her and her friend and I-... I'm sorry, but can you just make sure those two boys there are okay. I gotta get her."

Moving quickly, even if some half-hearted "no" is coming from the woman, Emma rushes off in the direction that Jessica and Linda went.
    (If the boys notice her going off, she hollars for them to accompany her and gives a frantic if thankful nod to the mom. If things get more worrisome based on the phone-mirror eavesdropping or a minute passes without her hearing the girls or any hints to where they are, she'll call out for Jessica.)

8. - Top - End - #908
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The mother next to Emma looks up from the little baby in her arms with sudden wide eyed surprise. "Uh, sure," she hollers after Emma as the Changeling leaves her behind.

Emma descends into the large field in the park. The girls are nowhere in sight, having wandered off for a good ten minutes already, and the park is a maze of picnicers, small trees and people lazily milling about the field. At one moment Emma almost collides with a young man chasing after a Frisbee, her attention too focused on scanning the crowd.

(OOC: Please give me a Wits + Survival/Streetwise +2 to scan the park. And apologies for the delay in posting. Today was brutal)
    Show

9. - Top - End - #909
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

No, no, no, no... this layout isn't good. At least the mother looks solid, but... Emma surveys the park, glancing occasionally at the mirror in hopes Jessica would pull out her phone.

Spoiler: dice roll
    Show

(OOC: Please give me a Wits + Survival/Streetwise +2 to scan the park. And apologies for the delay in posting. Today was brutal)
    Do you mean 2 bonus dice?
    I don't any Survival or Streetwise. Does that put me at -1 to my dice pool?

To be safe, I'll roll Wits (3) + 2, for 5 dice. But if that's more than I should be rolling, just count the first applicable ones.
    (5d10)[6][8][4][9][7](34)

edit: wow, that's a good roll even if I only have 2 dice!
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-21 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clean up QUOTE code

10. - Top - End - #910
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Show
    I did mean two extra bonus dice, for this being a challenge, but not an insurmountably difficult task of finding the two girls in the park. While it is busy, and there are some trees, it's mostly an open field. I think your dice pool would have been 4d10 after the bonus and the untrained modifier of negative 1. That still nets you two successes.

Also, in case you missed it (though I'm sure you saw), I responded to your OOC thread question. Cheers!

It takes about five minutes of tense searching, though it of course feels longer. Emma stopping to scan the crowd, squinting under the humid October sun.

When she finally does find Jessica and Linda, the two have sat themselves down in the shade of a nearby willow tree. About thirty yards away a skinny bearded man in dirty and torn sweat pants and a military jacket lays sprawled out on a park bench, lazily scratching himself. The attire must be terribly warm in the heat, and occasionally, perhaps his gaze does fall upon the two girls, though not nearly with as much focus or malice as the girls send back his way. As far as Emma can tell, there is not anything overtly supernatural about the homeless man.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #911
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Relieved but frustrated, Emma steps forward toward the girls. She doesn't like lying to family, but she is thankful for the power her unusual mastery of her Mask, as well as her accord with Winter, for their power to weave deceit.

Emma steps forward towards the girl and, with a tone and facial motions to convey perfect honesty, says, "Oh, thank goodness, Jessica, Linda. Listen, no time right now, but something came up and we need to go now. The boys are waiting. Come on."

She starts to turn back and move with an urgency that gives no time for the girls -- mostly Linda -- to give any backtalk about it.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I read Ricid Mask right, mortals can't see through my lies. Between that and Winter Mantle, I figure no roll is needed to make them think something serious means they must come.

Fortunately, that gives Emma IC and me OOC time to think of what excuse to use.

OOC fear: and now the boys are kidnapped!

Assuming the girls do follow and nobody (or -thing) interferes, Emma, holding her mirror and phone in one hand, quickly redirects her Glimpse to view through that woman's sunglasses to make sure she is still at the park.

Paranoia. Fear. Sorrow at the risks she's taking. Well, Winter is close enough to Autumn.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-21 at 12:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Neither girl puts up any resistance. They can see the frazzled concerned, perhaps even near crazed look on Emma's face and they fall in line almost immediately.

The three march back across the park towards the playground. Still sitting at the bench is the mother with her small child. Her eyes are wide when Emma returns, a terrified expression on her face. "Oh thank god," she blurts, the words coming out like barely held in diarrhea, "I'm so sorry, but when you left I wasn't sure which boys you were referring to, and... and I don't know where they are. I'm so so sorry, but you ran off in such a hurry."

Panic as sharp as a hot knife stabs Emma in the chest! The boys were gone! Probably stolen! Probably dragged into Arcadia!

Emma staggers away from the bench, her eyes drawn immediately to the playground... where the twins are chasing each other back and forth, throwing clumps of sand at each other, giggling and shrieking with the delight of their game.

Linda and Jessica look up at Emma horrified, or embarrassed, or both.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #913
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma moderates the expression on her Mask, to keep any traces of suspicion about the woman the rational part of her mind acknowledges as doing her best. But once her eyes alight on the boys, she lets out a sincere sihg of relief. Both boys, still here, still boys. One of her biggest fears is to come to babysit and see some straw-patchwork mannequin in place of her grandchild.

"Thank you, and I'm sorry I didn't point them out better. They're here. I'm sorry for the trouble."

Now to lie to the girls. Emma crouches down beside the two of them and, whispering, says, "I'm sorry to drag you away. While you were talking, I read a news article that someone, probably a homeless person who got released from the mental hospital during Katrina, had attacked some girls about your age. I left to try to warn you just to be extra careful, but I panicked when I saw that man nearby. Hopefully he's innocent and all, and I am proud of you for not judging, but-- well, you never know.
    "Anyway, I'm sorry for scaring you so. Feel free to go back to your conversation, but please stay nearby. Those trees over there have some shade and at least some privacy."

With the appropriate red-facedness of embarrassment, Emma then sits back to where she was before, relieved that all her line were safe.

14. - Top - End - #914
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"Oh, I'm so glad," the woman blurts out in reply, though she does not move an inch from her spot on the bench. The baby coos at her chest.

Now to lie to the girls. Emma crouches down beside the two of them and, whispering, says, "I'm sorry to drag you away. While you were talking, I read a news article that someone, probably a homeless person who got released from the mental hospital during Katrina, had attacked some girls about your age. I left to try to warn you just to be extra careful, but I panicked when I saw that man nearby. Hopefully he's innocent and all, and I am proud of you for not judging, but-- well, you never know.
    "Anyway, I'm sorry for scaring you so. Feel free to go back to your conversation, but please stay nearby. Those trees over there have some shade and at least some privacy."
    Linda immediately turns to Jessica, an excited grin on her face, and one hand up to her mouth in mock shock. "You see," she says affecting a snotty know-it-all tone, "I told you he was staring at us. And like, we could have been dead meat or something. I bet he would have turned us into lampshades or something."

"Eeew," Jessica says with equal parts anxiety and disgust.

The two begin to walk away, and just as they are leaving earshot, Emma overhears Linda say casually to Jessica, "Do you think we should go spy on that guy? Just in case?"
    Show

15. - Top - End - #915
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The two begin to walk away, and just as they are leaving earshot, Emma overhears Linda say casually to Jessica, "Do you think we should go spy on that guy? Just in case?"
    That foolish little...

Emma walks over to the two girls and, with a stern expression, says, "I heard that. If you two leave my line of sight, we are all leaving immediately." With a dark tone of experience, Emma says to Linda, "I can see a hypothetical fear like that man seeming a game. But believe me that you don't want to risk your innocence by simply spying on someone just in case." Deadpan, she adds, "There's things worse than being a lampshade."

Starting to walk back, she adds with a slightly lighter tone, "Enjoy your talk."

Please let the talk veer to what a witch I am, or what happened to me to make me *overreact*. Just let them stay ignorant and safe a little longer.
    Back at her seat, Emma pulls out the mirror and phone to listen in on the girls again, though with her eyes mostly on the boys.

16. - Top - End - #916
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom did his best to ensure that his meaty grip didn’t slip on Marv as they slipped through the mirror. The transition of mirror-travel was always an unpleasant experience for the Ogre; too reminiscent of his half-remembered, quixotic time in the Hedge.

As Marv rose to his feet in the aftermath of their sudden transition, Tom shuffled forward to place his considerable bulk between Marv and his other companions. One hand fell to rest on the elegant pommel of his hedgespun sword.

”Calm yourself, and we will explain.” Tom boomed, black eyes staring at Marv in a desperate hope to avoid violence.

Show

Stare Down!

Presence 2 + Intimidation 4 (+2 Staredown)

[rollv]8d10[rollv]

EDIT: Stupid dice script. Rerolling in OOC.

Last edited by Erulasto; 2020-05-23 at 02:42 AM.
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

17. - Top - End - #917
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Linda and Jessica stare up at the changeling with wide eyed shock. Jessica nods her head vigorously and replies, "Of course. We promise! We'll be safe!" and it's clear she means it. Linda adds, "Of course," in a flat, offhanded tone that shows more than a hint of preteen attitude.

The two quickly depart, finding a place nearby in the shade of another small willow tree. Through her phone Emma overhears Linda say, "Wow, that nanny of yours is a real B." She actually uses the letter rather than saying the entire word, and Jessica replies with a half hearted, "Yeah, I guess," though it's clear she's only giving lip service to Linda.

The two sink into rather banal girl chatter, none of which is particularly relevant or interesting. Emma's eyes almost half glaze over as she listens to their adolescent conversation, while watching the twins at play. In the warm afternoon heat of October, Emma can almost feel herself being lulled to sleep, until she catches sight of a man most out of place, marching purposefully across the playground towards her.

Despite the heat, the man is dressed in a grey trench coat, like a PI in a fifties detective film. His Mask shows a rather nondescript man's face, brown hair and dark eyes, maybe late thirties. But his Mein of a humanoid crocodile, with a reptilian snout and a hide of dark brown scales. He is most certainly a Lost, and as he approaches, rather than casually smoke a cigarette, he lifts a yellow Hi-C juice box to his lips and takes a quick pull.

As the man approaches he gives Emma a hungry reptilian smile, before casually but purposefully sitting down next to her on the bench. "Emma Thompson? I was hoping to have a quick word with you," he says without looking next to him. Instead, the changeling procures a news paper out from his trench coat and opens it with a loud crinkling noise. Still without looking at Emma, the man then procures a badge from his jacket and puts it in his lap for Emma to see. The badge identifies him as a servant of the Changelings of New Orleans, showing the symbols of the four Freeholds that exist in the city. He was some sort of police officer, or enforcer. He was trouble.

(OOC: After including Marv's resistance, that's still 3 successes)

Marv's hands open and close, big meaty hands that look ready for a fight. But the Ogre says nothing as he glares Big Tom, and makes no move to either attack or flee. After a long moment he says, "Fine. Start talking!" His dark eyes move from Changeling to Changeling, his will clearly not broken, despite his capture.
    Show

18. - Top - End - #918
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Cautious, Emma simply says, "I am called by that name. I assume you may then speak to me."

She doesn't show disrespect in her tone, and some hesitancy and fear is evident, but neither does she fear she has done anything to warrant the disfavor of any of the Freeholds. Mostly, as one still relatively new to changeling society, she does not want to risk saying or promising something more than intended or that might count as a Loophole for anyone else.

As he is not looking at her, she continues to look at the boys, with the occasional glance towards her granddaughter.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The crocodile face seems to smile, though it's hard for Emma to tell if there has been any chance in his expression. "My name is Typhon," he says cordially, "and I have a couple of questions for you Ms. Thompson." The lizard man returns his badge to his coat, and continues to pretend to read the newspaper, keeping the white sheets open and in front of his face. Without waiting for a reply Typhon asks, "I take it you are familiar with the Changeling in your Freehold by the name of Reginald Humphery? My sources tell me the two of you are... relatively friendly, though his is of your opposite court."

Emma certainly knew who Reggie was. He had been heavily involved in the project to keep Charity Hospital running after Katrina, and had been a hard working, hard nosed member of the Cayoodle Krewe.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-05-24 at 09:39 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #920
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Did something happen to Reggie, or -- perhaps worse -- did Reggie do something to anger the Freeholds?

"I know him, yes, and that sounds an accurate description. He helped introduce me to the Krew. I don't think I've talked to him since September, though maybe I saw him in passing once or twice afterwards. Is he in trouble?"

All true. No reason to hide anything. At least, she hoped such was the case. Reggie and her talked at Freehold gatherings or got lunch/dinner as time permitted, but both of them were relatively busy with their own things; or at least that's what Emma said while not fully admitting her reluctance about social fey outtings since returning to earth.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom glanced at his companions for a moment before turning his icy black gaze back to Marv. The Ogre rolled his shoulders a bit absentmindedly and scowled.

"What do you know about the Queen who was in here earlier?"

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The changeling called Typhon only offers a small "hmmm," while maintaining a mask that belies nothing. He turns the page of his newspaper with scaled and clawed hands before saying, "I don't wish to spread rumors, but it is very likely that your friend Reggie is indeed in trouble. He and his motley are currently under investigation for... putting their noses where they should not belong. He has not contacted you? Has not told you anything about this?" The questions were pointed, accusations sharp like daggers, but still Typhon's expression did not change.

"Who, Lady Ezmerelda?" Marv asked bluntly, his words a mix of indignation and confusion, "she's a regular customer. Why?"

But then something changed in the man's face, his eyes widening with sudden surprise, his mouth curling into a snarl of anger. "Wait a second. I know who you guys are! You're that motley that found Kitsune! You're the ones who have been asking around about the Hallow's Eve Contract!" Marv was practically livid at the realization, his fists were balled and trembling.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #923
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    The changeling called Typhon only offers a small "hmmm," while maintaining a mask that belies nothing. He turns the page of his newspaper with scaled and clawed hands before saying, "I don't wish to spread rumors, but it is very likely that your friend Reggie is indeed in trouble. He and his motley are currently under investigation for... putting their noses where they should not belong. He has not contacted you? Has not told you anything about this?" The questions were pointed, accusations sharp like daggers, but still Typhon's expression did not change.
    Emma's true face shows her concern and worry, but her Mask remains stoic, mainly lest she worry the children if they look towards her.

She tries, but does not quite manage, to respond casually to his questions.
    "He has not contacted me or told me about any investigation he's been doing. Nor about his motley. Honestly, I haven't talked to him since... I forget the day, but probably sometime the last week of September, maybe a few days further away. I'm sure it was before October because I remember having an outting planned October 1st with my wards, to go to a pumpkin patch outside the protections of the city."

As the questions grow more pointed, another fear comes to her. How did he find her here? It'd be one thing if he found her at home or at her son's house. She doesn't like other changelings knowing about her family line, but no doubt a good few do, and it wouldn't be hard to trail her. But he found her here, when only the children and her son should know. Did the Freeholds have a way to look at her or her son's phone? She'd heard of hackers and tracking software and such, but never been much concerned since surely such were beyond the kin of the Gentry... She wasn't used to thinking of her fellow changelings as potential risks.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-26 at 09:57 AM.

24. - Top - End - #924
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The detective nods as if in understanding at Emma's reply. He reaches back into his trench coat and retrieves a single white business card. In plain black font it simply reads "Typhon", and lists phone and fax numbers. Typhon hands the card to Emma and says, "Well I would appreciate it if you contact me if Reggie or any of his motley do contact you. I promise you we will treat them fairly, but it is my job to make sure the Changelings in New Orleans stay safe." The crocodile face grins, but perhaps because of the reptilian visage there is something dangerous in the smile. For some reason the phrase "I will gobble you up," plays in the back of Emma's mind, some terrible phrase from some terrifying bedtime story.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ogre in the Playground

Tom nodded slowly in acknowledgement of Marv’s words.

”Spot on.” He growled. ”Found Kitsune, and sent her somewhere safe. Why does that news anger you, Marv? Are you involved in something you should not be?”

26. - Top - End - #926
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

"No," Marv snarls, his eyes glowing angrier and angrier, "you are the ones involved in something you shouldn't be!"
    Show

27. - Top - End - #927
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Emma gives a forced smile as she takes the card, wondering what his definition of treat them fairly is.

"I believe I understand. I..." She sighs, an odd mix of honesty and manipulative phrasing coming to her mind. She holds up the business card. "I'm new to being a changeling. To how all this stuff works, and I'm nervous talking to you and even taking this card. So I don't mean offense, but: I'm not undertaking any promises or beholden to anything by accepting this. But if Reggie and his motley are doing something that could harm the Freeholds, I understand it could be helpful to pass on anything I might hear."

Some sincere nervousness coming to her voice: "If I talk to him, and he tells me something... like, is it dangerous for me to hear his words? Would it be dangerous for me to stop by his house and say hello?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Would Emma know where he lives? I'm not sure how public the motley's residence is. I read up the first bit of the IC thread, so I saw Typhon's appearance there.

---

Once the man leaves and Emma is fairly certain there's nothing magical around her except herself, she takes a deep breathe and performs a Kenning on the card.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-28 at 10:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Ogre in the Playground

”Truly?” Tom asked, his usually stoic face splitting into a dark smile. ”How do you justify your part in this…monstrous scheme? If we are correct in our suspicions, then you are a villain – like all those involved.”

The large Ogre leaned in, wafting plumes of steam rising from the frost-rimed black armor that made up his mien.

”Give me one reason why we should not be involved? Give me some sort of justification.”

29. - Top - End - #929
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After Emma's question, she truly knows what the alligator man's smile looks like. The corners of his mouth curl upwards in a malicious looking grin. "It would only be dangerous, if you choose not to tell me what you discover," Typhon replies, turning to stare Emma straight in the eyes.

With that warning, Typhon folds up his newspaper, it crinkling closed with a thunderclap explosion. He stuffs the paper back into his trench coat, rises, and walks off into the park, departing in a different direction from which he came. As he disappears into the distance, he brings the yellow carton of Hi-C to his lips, sipping at it like a noir detective would puff at a cigarette.

Show
    If the question is would Emma know where Reggie lives, the answer is yes. But she has no idea where Typhon lives.

"You have no idea what you are talking about," Marv spits, "you have no idea what is at stake." Despite the anger in the man's voice, he allows his gaze to part from the Changelings as he looks back at the mirror behind him. Turning back to Songbird and the others Marv asks, "So what, you are going to hold me hostage in this hollow or something?" He grins at the question, as if finding the idea of his captivity funny.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #930
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As the man leaves, Emma slowly and reluctantly pockets the card, trying to keep it from touching anything else on her person besides her gloved hand and her jacket pocket. Maybe she'll drop off that jacket in a safety deposit box and just buy a new one.

She sits and waits as the boys play and the girls have their banal conversation. Protecting them, as she ponders what is best to do regarding Reggie. Should she contact him? What would it mean, for good or ill? He had done her kindness, and she wanted to be the kind to return such, not just use it and abandon if it became risky. But how to act. For Reggie. For the Freeholds. For her family.

Spoiler
    Show
    She'll do the Kenning when not near so many kids, in some privacy. So probably like in the bathroom when back at the house.
    Unless something else happens at the park, I reckon a small timeskip to her going to the motley's house. Sans her phone, though she'll bring a burner phone.

Also, as I reckon most changelings in the city, Emma wears gloves. She calls it an affectation from a skin problem. They're usually white clothe gloves, like you might see on ladies in old-timey-times movies. She keeps a spare in her purse, as well as tougher work gloves.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-29 at 08:31 AM.