New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: (IC) New Orleans by Night CtL

“I think I might be best able to judge that once I know. Keeping secrets can be unpleasant sometimes, and this has clearly been weighing upon you. Let me help bear the burden at least for a little while.”

He had noticed the other changelings affinity for the plants that were about and part of him. The lack of light could not be helping much.

“Would you like to go somewhere else to talk? Perhaps get a cup of coffee? Or at the very least might I open a shade to see my notes? Your side of the story deserves to be known.”

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

'Lots and lots of wealthy mortals.' Reggy, with a smile and a flourish, bowed elegantly 'Sir Reginald Rupert Humphrey, at your service and your family's.' As he straightened his back he clapped his hands and launched into a practised sales pitch 'I work for a magical place. Not this kind of magic of course. It's a place where people who have nothing can get vital, even life-saving, medication.
    'I, as part of a broad portfolio that might vaguely be called my job, spend many evenings filling very fancy rooms and halls with very fancy people... and marks.'
    He added the last with a deliberately heavy emphasis 'It depends on the venue of course, but I often need a band to... set the mood, if you will. Make them feel generous and happy. Or fat and stupid.'
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Human Spirit by kpenguin. The Raynnverse lives!

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Arthur Pengrove looked up at Sebastian with eyes heavy with the weight of age and sadness. He sighs again, then lifts his head up from the couch. He coughs several times, the noise wet and harsh, then says, "You won't be letting up then, will you? Very well then. I'll make some coffee and we can talk." His body reanimates itself as he rises from the couch, pushing hard with his arms to lift himself out of the deep seated position with a grunt. Once risen, Pengrove sways unsteadily for several seconds before finding his balance. "We certainly can't talk about this **** in public," he says, the curse coming out smooth and casual, "How do you like your coffee?"

Pengrove leads Sebastian into the kitchen. The floor is cracked baby blue tile, speckled heavily with a layer of black mold that squishes underfoot. The room smells like long rotten food, and the dirty dishes that are piled high in the sink. The aged changeling begins filling a dirty tin pot with water and says, "You do know most anything I tell you will likely get ya killed." His eyes study Sebastian carefully, perhaps soberly for the first time during their encounter. Seeing that Sebastian is resolute, he finally says, "I don't want to live in this world anymore. I've seen too much, done too much... and maybe I'm just a little too crazy," he pauses for a moment to consider this, then adds, "or maybe I'm not crazy enough. Who knows?"

He removes a tub of instant coffee and opens it. The powdered grounds have somehow become fused, creating a solid block of powdery brown tar that Pengrove begins chipping at with a metal spoon. "So let's make a deal," Arthur Pengrove says over his shoulder as he works, "I'll tell you what I know, if you will agree to kill me. I know I'm too much of a coward to do it, so if I tell you what you want, when I am done, just kill me. Deal?" Pengrove doesn't even turn around to see Sebastian's reaction, and this is somehow worse. The old man just keeps chipping away at the solid brick of instant coffee, spooning freed chunks into a pair of ceramic mugs with unicorns painted on them.

Tom leads Imere away from Reggy and the band, the two disappear into the shuffle of the busy market. The froggy horn player looks at Reggy curiously. Then his eyes narrow and he motions to be given his instrument. Once the strange loop of brass is returned, he says "I won't say I ain't interested." He scratches at his bare scaly chin, which expands out with every croaking breath he takes. "I suppose I'd be interested in hearing what sort of a deal ya have to offer sir." His accent is not exactly New Orleans, though perhaps it all sounds the same to the Brit. The rest of the band finishes playing, and the group watches Reggy with suspicion and perhaps a hungry sort of greed, waiting to hear what the man has to say.

Tom leads the way through the crowd, his massive frame parting the swarm like the staff of Moses. The duo make their way to Dutch Alley and find Wren Lamontaigne's "shack". The twisted wooden structure looks like the cross of an old camping outhouse, and a fabled Witche's Hut. A wooden sign hangs over the gnarled brown door that painted with a crystal ball with three stars inside it. A smokey incense can be picked up from outside of the shack, perhaps the smell of baking cookies? Gingerbread?

Tom knocks on the door, then opens it without waiting for an answer. Inside sits Wren Lamontaigne, seated behind a large round table and working on a laptop. She initially appears to be a woman in her mid-forties, dark brown eyes and long greasy black hair. Her Mein however shows a woman who has been altered to fit the form of a lady-goose hybrid. Her dark brown eyes stare at Tom and Imere from behind a long yellow beak, and her head and long graceful neck are covered in downy white feathers.

A feathered hand reaches for a coffee mug that sits by her computer, and she drinks heavily from it. Placing the mug down, Wren says in a voice that is so hoarse and strained that it is barely audible, "Can I help you?"
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy grins as if that was exactly the answer he expected 'Well that all depends what you want. Cold hard cash of course, it's for charity, lots of money flying around. I could break you off a piece but it's for a noble cause, I could only justify doing that if I felt donations went up.
    'Or, if you've something more... esoteric in mind, I'm sure we can negotiate. You can ask around, Sir Reggy of the Krew, he'll do anything for the hospital, he's a real bleeding heart.'
    Spoiler
    Show

Vagrant and Seal by Smuchmuch. This depiction of Seal is so s'much like Smuchmuch

Sentient #6 Avatar by kpenguin. Clearly the best picture of a M&M character named after a Nevermore song there has ever been.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The froggy musician chuckles, and extends his free hand to shake. "The name's Jeremiah Ruffins," His grip is firm, almost competitive, "and we's Night Revelers, not Free Coiners. Cold hard cash is always a welcome payment for me and the boys." He grins at Reggy, his band peeping out from behind him.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy's smile grows wide and genuine as Jeremiah clamped down on his hand.
    Although long forgotten it was once a popular myth in many parts of the world that Englishmen were supernaturally strong. This was because most interaction was with Officers or NCOs, whose culture of bone-crushing handshakes were alien in these foreign lands. Once upon a time an English Gentleman with a limp grip was a disgrace. And while Reggy was indeed a disgrace of a gentleman (And happily so) he still took pride in a firm grip.
    He clamped down on Jeremiah's hand like he was a German Officer surrendering.
    'I'm still dickering over the venue, I feel like I can beat her down a little more. Once I have though I'll have a date in a month or two, plenty of time for me to get everything lined up. How do I get hold of you?'
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

With a grin, Ruffins removes a business card from his pocket, flourishing it like a magician removing a rabbit from a hat. As he hands it to Reggy, the band simultaneously plays a note as if to punctuate the transaction. The card tingles in Reggy's hand, like it is charged ever so slightly with Glamour. Jeremiah says, "Call us day or night, we perform anytime. Guaranteed to please! Music's so haaaat it will bring yo' mamma to her knees!" His speech has taken on the quality of a carnival barker, and he gives Reggy a big salesman's grin.

The card is all green and gold, with purple print in carnival letters, "Jeremiah and the Tumbledown Revelers". It provides a number and an email, written in gold. The card is captivatingly beautiful, and in some way makes Reggy harken back to his times in the maddeningly alluring Arcadia. "You call me when you's got a deal ready".

(OOC: If Reggy has more to say or do with the band, please go ahead, otherwise feel free to bring Reggy into the scene below)

Tom steps forward in front of Imere, still somehow playing the gallant protector despite the unassuming woman before them. The massive Ogre has to crouch low to fit within the hut. He says, "My name is Thomas Malory, and this is my companion Imere Tsul". He offers an uncomfortable bow, and upon rising says, "We seek one Wren Lamontaigne, would this be you?"

The woman opens up her mouth and starts to give an affirmative. However, something seems to catch in her throat and she is instead wracked by a fit of coughing. The noises make it sound like her throat is desert dry and swollen, and each cough is clearly painful. When the fit has passed, she simply nods her head in the affirmative.

Tom turns to Imere uncomfortably, as if to ask permission to bring up the potion.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC: I'm good to move onto the next scene

Reggy made quick work of the crowd. He read the shifting patterns of people like an open book and danced between them artfully. He wouldn't have made much better time if people had cleared a path for him.

Tom was easy to pick out of a crowd and it wasn't long before he caught the others up. He arrived just as Tom asked the old women her name, he stops alongside the others, announcing the group as his own, but doesn't say anything, waiting on (Hopefully) Wren Lamontaigne's response.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #249
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wren finishes her coughing fit as Reggy enters. She nods at his introduction, then points to her throat and pantomimes choking with one bony hand wrapped around her neck. She offers up one last series of spent and pathetic coughs, clearly unable to get any further words out.

Instead, Wren Lamontaigne raises her hands up to her ears in a questioning sort of gesture, inviting the newcomers to speak.
    Show

10. - Top - End - #250

Beholder

Sebastian looked puzzled for a moment and then finally nods. He seemed rather unfazed by the thought, miraculously so given what he has been asked to do.

“That seems fair.”

He straightened his notebook, pen ready to annotate the man’s words, looking like an eager student.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    In fairness, I feel I should roll something for subterfuge. He’s going to engage in some bending of the truth. If you want me to lay out what he will be planning, I’m happy to so you can ask for more specific rolls.

Manipulation + Subterfuge = 2+0
    Spending Willpower to Add 3
    Taking Penalty for defaulting -2 (I think)

(3d10)[3][3][5](11)
    10s - (3d10)[3][9][9](21)

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Reggy smiled brightly 'You're in luck miss. We just so happen to have a doctor with us.' He clapped Imere by the shoulder 'Do you have anything for a sore throat, herr doctor?'
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Arthur Pengrove's eyes suddenly go wide, a light of intelligence suddenly blooming behind them. The vines and leaves even seem to gain a new vitality rising from their wilted positions. "Why do I feel that you are trying to lead me on," he says accusingly, a long gnarled finger pointed at Sebastian. The other hand trembles rhythmically at his side as the man wavers.

(OOC: I have spent the WP point. Sebastian gets no successes despite the WP. You could of course turn this into a Dramatic Failure for a beat, though regardless, this looks like it's about to get interesting.)

Imere gives Reggy an irritated look, then steps forward holding the recently obtained mug of potion aloft. She says, "I was told this would sooth a sore throat better than any modern medicine," and hands it to the seated Changeling.

Wren Lamontaigne takes a sniff of the potion and smiles. She lifts the mug to her throat and sips noisily. The gulp goes down hard at first, but afterwards she says in a hushed voice, "You got this from Mr. Bonejangles, didn't you. A lovely concoction." She takes another pull at the mug, this time gulping it down greedily. When she places the empty mug down on the table she sighs deeply, collapsing back into her seat. "Lovely lovely," she repeats before saying, "I suppose you are aware of my Pledge. I provide stories for those who can sooth my scarred throat. You have done so for me, so how may I help you?" Her voice is no longer strained, though it is still husky, rich and complex and with a musical lilt to her sentences.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253

Beholder

“I assure you I am doing no such thing! I am simply in need of assistance. Perhaps I...overexaggerated my capabilities to end your life...but...well, I can do my best?”

Sebastian did his best to look cheerfully optimistic as he was delivering the news. His earnestness belied the fact that he lacked almost all capacity to carry out the task. His plan had, admittedly, involved weekly refreshers of the man’s alcohol supply with the certainty that *eventually* his promise would be kept.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Pengrove's eyes were suddenly shining with a dark inner light, and as Glamour began to collect around him, his Mantle flared, and Sebastian could smell the overwhelmingly sweat smell of blooming lilies and roses and fresh cut glass. Weeds began to sprout out from the cracks between the kitchen's tiled floor, and vines snaked out of a cabinet over the greasy looking stove. The various flowers and ivy leaves began to brighten and bloom, taking on new life.

The sudden shift in the room was suddenly a terrifying prospect, as if the kitchen was coming to life like some giant venus fly trap and was going to gobble Sebastian up! He could imagine the vines catching his limbs, dragging him back to Arcadia, or constricting till every bone was broken in the poor changeling's body. Arthur Pengrove howled, "Do you know what an Oathbreaker is youngling? Do you know what we used to do to uppity Oathbreakers when I was your age???"

(OOC: So as part of the dramatic failure, Pengrove is going to try to inflict Bedlam on Sebastian, the condition will be Frightened obviously. This is a contested action, and I will need you to roll Sebastian's Composure+Wyrd. I will roll for Pengrove here (8d10)[7][4][10][7][3][7][8][6](52))
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The full blow of Pengrove's psychic attack slams into Sebastian's mind. He can feel his heart suddenly pounding in his chest as the man before him seems to morph into an avatar of maddening beauty and destructive capacity. Arthur Pengrove is the most dangerous thing in the world, and Sebastian must get away at all costs. Screw trying to fight, screw trying to talk it out, every fiber of Sebastian's body is primed to flee as far and as fast as it can!

(OOC: Sebastian takes the Frightened Condition, see page 339 of Changeling. Due to his sheer terror, he can take no actions other than fleeing from Pengrove, unless he spends a WP which buys him a turn ie 5 seconds of self control. The condition is resolved when he is safe and away. Any clarity damage rolls he takes while having this condition add an additional dice)
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256

Beholder

The panic overtook Sebastian and he ran. This was a terrible idea, he never should have done it alone, and many others of the greatest tropes of horror flashed through his mind as he pushed himself away from the table and barreled out into yard, pushing away through the gate with his whole body. It was a miracle that he had his belongins. He stopped running when he was several blocks away and his lungs were searing from the exertion.

There would have to be a pin out into that particular line of questioning, at least for a time. He started to feel better when he was further away, and he decided to make his way towards the Cafe du Monde where he could sit safely ensconced in anonymity to plan his next move.

Show
    Sebastian’s next move is going to be to try to figure out the current identities and locations of any other members of Pengrove’s faction. If there are others they could be the key to unlocking him.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The rush out of the kitchen, then out the door, and stumbling down the warped porch stairs to exit the property. Sebastian even barreled through the iron gate, the burns not registering till he was several blocks away and back on Saint Charles Avenue.

By this time the sun was up in full force, the stifling humidity of South drawing a flood of sweat from Sebastian, turning the poor changeling into a damp trembling mess. It took another ten minutes for the next street car to come up Saint Charles, the major road that traveled down from Bourbon street through the entire Garden District. It was a wide open road, two lanes in each direction, with a grassy median and trolley tracks between oncoming traffic. Waiting for the car, there was no shade from the sun, and so even when Sebastian stepped onto the air conditioned car, it looked like the man had stepped into the shower with his clothes on.

Soon the street car was jetting up Saint Charles, crossing the magic divider of Canal street, which separated The French Quarter from the CBD, marking a shift in architecture and increased tourism.

Off the streetcar, it was only a few blocks over to Cafe Du Monde, though at this point in the day there was already a line three blocks long filled with tourists waiting for their sugar coated pastries, and chicory coffee. Sebastian went around the back, knocking twice on the kitchen door, and was quickly greeted by Phuong. The young lady worked one of the registers at Cafe Du Monde, and her warm (although crooked) smile, immediately caused Sebastian's heart to flutter. Like many of the cafe's employees, Phuong was Vietnamese, but she was easily one of the youngest employees, if not the most beautiful. "Sebastian," she said with surprise and excitement, giving him a quick hug despite the sticky dampness of his shirt, "Come come, I'll get you a seat."

The outdoor seating of Cafe Du Monde was all folding chairs and cramped tables covered with coffee spills and powdered sugar. It was a crowded mayhem of green and white stripes and the aroma of frying dough and hot coffee. Normally you ordered at a window and brought your food and coffee to a table, but once Sebastian was seated, Phuong was standing by his table, dressed in her white uniform and apron. "What happened to you Sebastian, you... look like you ran a marathon." There was something sweet in the way she asked the question, something so concerned and polite and innocent.

(OOC: Sebastian clears the Frightened condition and gains a beat. You let me fill in the Touchstone, so I hope what I have isn't too far a field.)
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

'Well now that's an excellent question.' said Reggy, surreptitious dropping the English accent and adopting a southern drawl 'You seem like a sharp one though, so why don't I tell you the story of how we came here, then you can guess the story we want to hear.' He proceeds without waiting for an answer, as he speaks his hands are a blur of constant motion 'A Fox fell through a mirror, our mirror to be precise. Very soon a lizard came after, knocking at the door and making threats.
    'The lizard was an enforcer, he didn't say who for. We denied him the Fox, but he knows we had her. We saw her to safety amid a man-hating web,the Fox and the Spider were firm friends. The weaver warned us, she said the Hallow's Eve contract was... dangerous, that the treaties only protected the powerful, that the renowned Wren Lamontaigne could tell us more.'
    Lowering his voice to a whisper he quietly adds 'The Fox was named Kitsune, the lizard was Typhon.' Then the seriousness is gone and his smile surges with the volume of his voice 'So, Madam Lamontaigne, which story do you think we want... needto hear?'
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The woman's bright eyes hardened as she mulled over Reggy's words. She looked down at the empty mug, seeming to study the bottom slosh, then finally nodded her head. Wren Lamontaigne placed both bony hands on the table, folding one over the other. Her face went soft, almost lip and her eyes closed. When she spoke, the voice was deep, powerful and seemed to come from some foreign source other than the frail woman that sat before the trio. "Once upon a time, there was an Ice Queen only interested in coin, a Shadow only interested in performing, a hammer who knew only how to smash, a Dog who knew only how to growl, and a Garden. They lived in New Orleans, though it was a city very different than the one we live in now." Wren's speech was almost trance like. Her face remained placid, her body completely unmoving. As she spoke, her voice was slowly becoming more hoarse. She continued, "The world was at war with itself, and the city was beset by dangers, the worst being the encroachment of Arcadia and the Hedge into our reality as The Tumble Down Market expanded. It was not a good time for Changelings, who were regularly plucked from their beds at night, or captured by bold goblins to be sold in the darkest corners of the Tumble Down Market as slaves." Wren's voice was reaching a strained point, her voice now breathy and high pitched, like the whistle of a beaten tea. "Greedy to fill her coffers, The Ice Queen convinced the others to help her in making a pact with The City. They convinced themselves that the price of the pact was worth the safety that the city could provide, and so they bound themselves and their people into a quilt of deception and terror that exists to this day; and this was known as the All Hallow's E..."

Wren Lamontaigne's voice finally broke, stopping in a shrill whistle. The suddenly appeared to be caught in a fit of coughing, though no sound could come out. Her face turned red, and she suddenly stood and staggered backwards. For a moment it looked like she would asphyxiate. When the spasm passed, Wren Lamontaigne sat back down, took a deep breath and pointed to a small wooden sign that hung on the wall over her right shoulder. It was little more than a wooden plank with the words "The End" painted in sloppy red brush strokes on its front.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

'More questions then answers.' said Reggy drily 'As conversations with our kind so often end.' He bowed formally 'Thank you for your story, Madam Lamontaigne, my apologises if it was one you would have preferred not to tell.
    'I would not tax your voice further, but I would say a sore throat no matter how grievous does not stop one from shaking the head, or nodding. Might I ask a question or two?'
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261

Beholder

Sebastian really was indebted to her, because when he was able to stop there he was finally able to recover that which he most needed - his wits. He returned the hug, an action nearly unfathomable with anyone else, but he had known her since the day he came out of...the other place. He had sat not far from here with a wild look and his book clutched too him and the only friendliness was the young woman.

“Everything is OK...just awful hot today. How are you? Looks crowded as ever.”

He wasn’t great at small talk but Phuong never seemed to really mind.

“Would it bother you if I sat here and worked for a little while? I know how it can get.”

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wren Lamontaigne nods her head knowingly, her eyes wide with recognition. With one hand she holds up a single finger as if asking Reggy, Tom and Imere to wait one moment. She opens a desk cabinet with the other hand and removes a piece of printer paper and a cheap looking black pen, then begins writing. Within a moment she raises the paper for the group to read. In hasty scrawl it says, "I could just write. BUT just to warn you, I have NO MEMORY of the story I just told you". She shrugs apologetically to the group.

Imere scoffs and says, "What, is her brain busted as well as her throat?"

Phuong sighs and gives Sebastian a polite shrug. She says, "Oh, you know. Mornings are always the busiest, even on Mondays." She gives Sebastian a grin, warm and filled with crooked teeth, "But it's okay. And you're fine to stay here... just try not to draw too much attention. I'll get in trouble if people start complaining." Her words are warm and welcoming, and there is no concern in them despite what she says. "Can I get you something?"
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

'Imere!' said Reggy, his outrage was genuine for the first time in a while. He transferred his attention straight back to Wren 'Some of us have easier Durances then others. Some of them do not appreciate how lucky that makes them. My apologies Madam. He offers a short bow 'Do you know anything of the founders of the city? In your story you spoke of a Queen of Ice and a Shadow that loved to perform. Does that mean anything to you'
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #264

Beholder

Sebastian smiled a little back. “I’m pretty good at not drawing attention. Just the usual. Coffee and beignets. Please.”

He looked around, before allowing his thoughts to come around to the matters at hand. He took out his phone and once again began to laboriously type, to each contact, the summation of his findings.

>>Dear fellows,
    I was not successful in persuading Mr. P— to part with his information. He was loathe to do so without a very high price. I was forced to flee the area from fear. I am at the Cafe du Monde, trying to pursue another avenue of exploration. I trust you are well and I wish you luck.
    Sincerely,
    Sebastian Rivers<<

Once he had finished transcribing his messages from his notebook into the phone multiple times, he set it down and began to look over his vast notes. There had to be something he had missed, someone else he could talk to. Or, else, find a way to kill someone without actually...killing.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Wren Lamontaigne takes to her pen and paper again. As she writes, buzzes go off in Tom, Imere and Reggy's cellphones. They have each received the same text message from Sebastian that reads,

>>Dear fellows,
    I was not successful in persuading Mr. P— to part with his information. He was loathe to do so without a very high price. I was forced to flee the area from fear. I am at the Cafe du Monde, trying to pursue another avenue of exploration. I trust you are well and I wish you luck.
    Sincerely,
    Sebastian Rivers<<
    Tom grins at the message, and Imere says, "We really do gotta teach him how to use his phone," her smile mirroring Tom's.

Tom asks, "Any idea who Mr. P is?"

Wren Lamontaigne stands up from her desk to hand Reggy the paper. It reads, "I don't... or at least not like this; though perhaps if I had something to sooth my crackled throat I could tell you another story." She shrugs apologetically at the group.

Sebastian begins to review his notes, glad to be out in the sun and to see Phuong's smiling face; even if it was overly noisy at Cafe Du Monde and Sebastian was without the resources in his library. Somehow, in such a crowded tourist trap Sebastian felt less lonely, even if he didn't talk to anyone... and it didn't hurt when Phuon was around.

(OOC: Please give me an Int + Academics roll to see what Sebastian digs up).

Eventually though, Sebastian's studies are interrupted by the slurred shriek of a man at a nearby table. "Get away from me you bitch!" the man said, standing so violently that he knocked over the cheap table he was sitting at, sending powdered sugar and coffee into the air. He was a young white kid, maybe college aged; all acne and muscles. And he was yelling at Phuong! His white wife beater was stained with coffee now, his over exposed flesh red from a cocktail of sun-exposure and rage.

Sebastian's friend was trying to apologize, but the sudden confrontation was causing her to stutter. Her English was hard enough for Sebastian to understand most of the time (in fact today was probably the best it's been), and the boy was now mocking her, "Ching chong bing bong bitch, learn to speak English!" Phuong was practically trembling now, and all of the commotion in the restaurant had stopped, though no one was coming to the poor dear's rescue.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #266

Beholder

Sebastian stared for a moment before moving. Why was he getting up? This was Tom territory...not him. But then, if not him, why was he there now in front of the raging kid, between him and Phuong? And why was he *talking*...

But it would not stop. He could not have prevented it. He felt the ink pounding under the skin of his true self.

“Walk away. Now.”

He gave what he hoped was a glare, staring the kid down.

Show

First the Int+Academics check = (7d10)[7][8][2][2][8][7][9](43)
    10s = (7d10)[7][4][1][8][7][9][1](37)

Now, Intimidate. I am using a willpower point and my mantle gives me an addition three so I am at *least* at 6 Dice, so I’m going to roll that first. I imagine it’s manipulation, so I’d have two, but I have no Intimidate, so that will probably be a wash with penalties.

And I hope I succeed because my next plan will be...interesting lol

(6d10)[5][3][9][10][9][10](46)
    10s - (6d10)[10][5][10][1][4][7](37)

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

'Thank you for your help Madam, I am certain we shall meet again, but for now we must take our leave.' With one last elegent bow Reggy is out the door 'Either of you two know where the Cafe du Monde is?'
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: OOC: Sebastian's Research
    Show
    Sebastian's first avenue of review was the defunct Freehold of New Orleans, "The Big Chiefs". Pengrove had been the Freehold leader at the time of the first Hallow's Eve Pact, but the Freehold had dissolved only five years after. Sebastian was without his invaluable library, but from the texts that he had on-hand, it sounds like the Freehold fell apart as Arthur Pengrove started to show signs of alcoholism and a failure to distinguish reality from his Nightmares of Arcadia... a madness that seemed more likely to grip Lost who grew in power to Sebastian's knowledge.

It sounded like many if not all of the Big Chiefs Freeholders either left town or folded into the Kayoodle Krew. Perhaps Reggy would be able to help Sebastian seek out some of the more senior Krew members to gather more information.

As Sebastian spoke there was a sudden gust of wind, the force blowing powdered sugar and coffee cups into the air from nearby tables, and sending a sudden sharp shiver up the spine. The drunk boy's attention was drawn immediately to Sebastian, who found himself still marching forward. The two were of about the same height, though the human had at least twice the muscle mass... not that it mattered to a Changeling.

His eyes were wide with a sudden shock, the fear seeming to drip from his pores with his now chilled sweat. "Hey man, I din't mean anything," the words come out in an impulsive slur, seeming to gush out like vomit before he can gain control. It was as if Sebastian could just reach out and taste the man's sudden terror. He was swaying, and leaning away from Sebastian. An arm was extended behind him, as if to find purchase, and with nothing to find, the man fell backwards, hard onto his ass.

But Sebastian noticed something that made his heart drop, Phuong was backing away from Sebastian as well, a similar look of apprehension if not fear drawn upon her face.

(OOC: Sebastian has the ability to collect Glamour if he wants, though I believe his pool is full, it would drop the drunk man's willpower. Alternatively, he could reap the glamour as well, which would require skin to skin contact and a breaking point, but would apply the ravaged condition on the man. Not saying you have to, just mentioning options.)

Imere was the first to nod her head, a sigh escaping her lips, "It's a tourist trap doughnut place in The French Quarter. There's gotta be a million trods that get there from the Tumble Down."

The trio say their fairwells to Wren Lamontaigne, and step back out to the rush of the Goblin Market. A pair of young looking Changelings, covered in fur like a couple of bear-children walked arm in arm each carrying bright red balloons. Down the alleyway, The Tumbledown Players could be heard performing a jazzy version of Steely Dan's "Do it Again", the music carrying over the din of the hawkers and diverse pedestrians.

It was about a ten minute walk through crowded streets, past goblins selling fruit and trinkets and sweet meats, till Imere led them to a door labeled with a poop emoji. Pushing through the door, the trio found themselves stepping out of a public restroom with a sign indicating it was for those in dresses. The restroom was just a block away from Cafe Du Monde. The line for the cafe was actually so long that it extended just a little past the restroom, and a boy in line tugged at his mother's dress hem at the three strangers who just stepped out of the women's restroom together. The mother seemed to pay them no mind.

It would be difficult to get past this line if the trio wanted to get directly into the cafe.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269

Beholder

Sebastian squatted down so he was eye level with the fallen boy. He kept his gaze, finding a blaze of anger for those that would bully and harrass. He’d seen the depth of that depravity beyond human understanding. His voice lowered, keeping his words as best he could just for the boy.

“You never do, do you? You never mean for your actions to have consequences, because they so seldom do. You think you are important enough to belittle others? I asked you nicely to leave. Go faster.”

He could feel the tendrils of the invisible mantle snaking around him like a cloak and he felt the leaden weight as he realized Phuong might have felt a fringe of that, though the brunt was focused on her harasser. He would have to hope he had not caused her to turn against him. Odd, he thought, how quickly his mantle found his own heart.

“...and pay your bill as you go. This mess is no one’s fault but your own.”

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

'Have you got another zombie parade in your pocket Imere?' said Reggy brightly 'Didn't think so. Pity.' Reggy hummed to himself for a few seconds. Now wasn't the time to be extravagant, he sent a short message to Sebastian
    Queue like you wouldn't believe. Donuts must be amazing. Can you meet us outside?
    Spoiler
    Show