New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    There are probably others, but I can't think of them off hand.
    Red Dead Redemption 2 over the first game?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah
    I can never quite get over how powerful Comprehension is. JSAWYER actually makes it a little stronger, because a lot of random clothes and armors come with skill bonuses. Though this is ultimately balanced out by slower leveling and a lower skill cap. Your skill reach with magazines, chems, and gear can be considerable. Speech: Naughty Nightwear +10, Party Time Mentats (If Charisma 5 or less) +10, Meeting People with Comprehension +20 = total bonus +40! And then there's the second half of Comprehension, which increases the yield of skill books. If you do the legwork to track them down, all those points add up. Then if you drop into Old World Blues you can get an additional skill book per skill. The do anything Courier is a very real possibility.
    Oh yes, it's so good that I take it as soon as it's available. Magazines are plentiful, even in the early game.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Red Dead Redemption 2 over the first game?
    And Revolver

Every game series eventually hits a point when they start going downhill, but most game series's don't start going downhill.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    The Witcher 1 was almost completely unplayable, Witcher 2 was decent but beside the story was nothing special, Witcher 3 is one of my favourite CRPGs of all time.
    I really liked Witcher 1, I couldn't get started with Witcher 2, I have yet to try Witcher 3.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    This is my strategy as well. I really hated getting the allowance replenishment when I still had 4/4 guesses, preferring to waste a dud if I had to choose between the two.

I can never quite get over how powerful Comprehension is. JSAWYER actually makes it a little stronger, because a lot of random clothes and armors come with skill bonuses. Though this is ultimately balanced out by slower leveling and a lower skill cap. Your skill reach with magazines, chems, and gear can be considerable. Speech: Naughty Nightwear +10, Party Time Mentats (If Charisma 5 or less) +10, Meeting People with Comprehension +20 = total bonus +40! And then there's the second half of Comprehension, which increases the yield of skill books. If you do the legwork to track them down, all those points add up. Then if you drop into Old World Blues you can get an additional skill book per skill. The do anything Courier is a very real possibility.
    Not only that, but it means that many out of combat skills never need to get capped, because you generally always can have a magazine available to do whatever it is you wanted to do. Therefore, for example, you only need a Lockpick skill of 80 to pick a Very Hard lock, but since there's VERY few of them you can just go with a skill of 55 and be able to handle any Hard lock with a magazine.

Same goes for Speech checks. Any time you know a Speech check is coming up, you can pop a magazine, again saving you effectively 20 points.

It can truly be a great way to be able to hit difficult skill checks even fairly early into the game.

With a high Int score, however, it largely becomes unnecessary in your 20's, because you can cap many of your necessary skills by then. Also with Educated, you get even more skill points per level. And, as you pointed out, you can get a skill book for each skill from OWB, effectively +4 to each skill with Comprehension.

Of course, there's also a way to cheat an extra five points to each skill. During character creation, pick the Skilled attribute to give +5 to each stat at a cost of -10% XP gain. Then when you leave the immediate vicinity, accept the offer to reroll your character, and pick Skilled again. You'll get another +5 to each skill that stacks with the previous. You can get yet another +5 when you hit OWB and unlock the AutoDoc, and twist your mind in new and exiting ways, again picking Skilled. So that's a total of +15 to each skill permanently with careful attribute selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Not only that, but it means that many out of combat skills never need to get capped, because you generally always can have a magazine available to do whatever it is you wanted to do. Therefore, for example, you only need a Lockpick skill of 80 to pick a Very Hard lock, but since there's VERY few of them you can just go with a skill of 55 and be able to handle any Hard lock with a magazine.

Same goes for Speech checks. Any time you know a Speech check is coming up, you can pop a magazine, again saving you effectively 20 points.

It can truly be a great way to be able to hit difficult skill checks even fairly early into the game.

With a high Int score, however, it largely becomes unnecessary in your 20's, because you can cap many of your necessary skills by then. Also with Educated, you get even more skill points per level. And, as you pointed out, you can get a skill book for each skill from OWB, effectively +4 to each skill with Comprehension.

Of course, there's also a way to cheat an extra five points to each skill. During character creation, pick the Skilled attribute to give +5 to each stat at a cost of -10% XP gain. Then when you leave the immediate vicinity, accept the offer to reroll your character, and pick Skilled again. You'll get another +5 to each skill that stacks with the previous. You can get yet another +5 when you hit OWB and unlock the AutoDoc, and twist your mind in new and exiting ways, again picking Skilled. So that's a total of +15 to each skill permanently with careful attribute selection.
    Don't forget the early-game trick of grabbing Good-natured, which gives you five to five skills you definitively need in the early game, and -5 to 5 skills you only need one of.
    A diamond necklace played the pawn
    Hand in hand some drummed along, oh
    To a handsome man and baton (Bygone, bygone)
    A blind class aristocracy
    Back through the opera glass you see
    The pit and the pendulum drawn (Bygone, bygone)
    Columnated ruins domino

My avatar was made by a very lovely chap by the name of smutmulch. That was very cool of them.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

That said, I’ve run the high Int, Educated/Comprehension approach a few times in a row. My next Courier is definitely going to be Intelligence 1. It’s been a while since I tried finishing New Vegas without skills.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

That said, I’ve run the high Int, Educated/Comprehension approach a few times in a row. My next Courier is definitely going to be Intelligence 1. It’s been a while since I tried finishing New Vegas without skills.
    New Vegas doesn't do the thing 1 and 2 did, where having low INT meant you couldn't speak properly and thus missed out on loads of quests, did it?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    New Vegas doesn't do the thing 1 and 2 did, where having low INT meant you couldn't speak properly and thus missed out on loads of quests, did it?
    You get some unique dialogue options in NV, but nothing is really locked off. Some quests are actually EASIER if you're rock stupid. These are more than balanced out by being almost assured to have a trash Speech and Barter, as well as Science which are three of the key "Get extra options in quests" skills.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Most prompts in NV are skill-gated, not linked to Special stats, and it is entirely possible to have a 100 in a skill with a 1 in the stat (Charisma is the classic dump stat for precisely this reason). There are exceptions, with Lonesome Road being a particularly significant offender in this area. Having a low int will lock you out of a lot of relevant information in that particular DLC. The knock-on effects will be more significant, because having a low int means having low skills in at least some areas (a Courier with starting Int of 9 who does the clinic run easily caps out all skills with DLC enabled) and this will make it much more difficult to access content that's gated behind Science checks, terminals, or difficult locks. For all practical purposes, doing a low INT run is simply a means of imposing a self-inflicted handicap on the Courier, though that's true of a lot of options really, given that build options are highly unequal in the game.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My current draft is for Int 1 and Luck 9, or in other words dumb luck.

The obvious synergy from there would be a critseeker kind of thing, which is also new for me.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait there are remove dud strings? I never knew about that, I just tried passwords, logged out before I could get locked out and retried until I got through.
    Don't feel bad. I have just shy of 200 hours in NV and I just found out bout the string removal in this thread.
    Last edited by oxybe; 2019-04-04 at 11:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

My current draft is for Int 1 and Luck 9, or in other words dumb luck.

The obvious synergy from there would be a critseeker kind of thing, which is also new for me.
    If you are going crit fishing, there's a few things you can do to optimize things further:

* A weapon's crit *multiplier* will affect most worn forms of crit bonus, including Boone's Cap, Ulysses' Duster, and Graham's Armor.
    * The perk Light Touch happens AFTER this multiplier. Which, ironically enough, is actually pretty nifty if you're wanting to use an automatic weapon, because you have a minimum 5% crit off of each hit
    * The Trait Built To Destroy, however, IS affected by your weapon's crit multiplier.

Therefore, assuming you have 1st Recon Beret, Ulysses' Duster, 10 luck, Finesse perk, and Built To Destroy, you have a base 28% crit chance, modified by your weapon's multiplier.

Some weapons you might want to look for:

* That Gun and Lucky both have a 2.5x crit multiplier and decent base damage, and are relatively early-game finds if you aim for them. That means, with the above setup, plus Light Touch, you will have a 75% crit chance with any given attack. Not too shabby.
    * A Light Shining In Darkness gives a 2x crit multiplier, slightly better base damage, and higher rate of fire. With the above, that still gives a 61% crit chance.

* Ratslayer gives an insane 5x crit multiplier, meaning guaranteed crits with the above setup. Every shot is automatically a crit. Granted, base damage isn't much to write about, but still... auto-crit.
    * Christine's BOS Silencer Rifle has a 2.5x crit mod, so 75% chance of crits even without sneaking. This is one reason I consider it to be the best sniping weapon in the game.
    * Paciencia gets a special mention here, because it has a 2x crit multiplier, but it's crit damage is also doubled before the effects of the Better Criticals perk, which stacks, meaning it's doing roughly the same damage the AMR is on crit. So while it's only a 61% crit chance, those crits really hurt. Police Magazine + Comprehension gives another +10% crit multiplied by the modifier for an 81% crit chance if you really want.
    * Gobi is another special case, in that it only has a 2x crit multiplier, but has extra crit damage and a higher rate of fire than Christine's. Worth playing around with, at least.

* All shotguns have a 1x crit multiplier, HOWEVER the crit chance is per hit, so using 00 buckshot gives you better than even odds that any given round that hits an opponent might crit with the above setup.

* The K9000 and FIDO both have a 0.5x crit multiplier, meaning you still end up with a 14% chance + the 5% from Light Touch for a 19% chance on an automatic weapon. Not too shabby.

* For those who prefer energy weapons, here's a cute one. The Hyperbreeder Alpha, which is an automatic recharger pistol found in NOVAC, actually has a 2x crit multiplier, meaning you get the base 56% crit chance. However, it is also affected by the Laser Commander perk, giving another 10% base on TOP of that (not affected by crit multiplier) for a total 71% crit chance with the above setup. Then, if you get the Set Lasers For Fun challenge rank 2 done, that's another 4% on top for your 75% crit chance. On an automatic Holdout weapon.
    * Compliance Regulator, which stuns on a crit, has a 1.5x crit multiplier, giving you a base 42% crit chance, plus the 5% from Light Touch plus 4% from Set Lasers To Fun and 10% from Laser Commander for a total of 61% crit chance

* The Gauss Rifle and YCS/186 have a 2x crit multiplier, however Laser Commander doesn't affect it and the crit damage is actually less than base damage, making it less useful for your build.
    * The AER 14, however, IS affected by Laser Commander and also has a 2x crit multiplier. So you have a base 56% crit chance + an extra 19% (5 from Light Touch, 4 from Set Lasers To Fun 2, and 10 from Laser Commander) for a total 75% crit chance.
    * Elijah's LAER has a respectable crit multiplier of 1.5x and is affected by Laser Commander, but the crit damage is really bad, so not really worth it.
    * The Holorifle, while having a high base damage, only has a crit modifier of 1x and isn't affected by the Laser Commander perk, giving a max crit chance of 37%
    * Of special note, the Laser RCW is an automatic weapon, and while the crit multiplier is a hopeless 0.05%, that doesn't change how Laser Commander, Light Touch, or Set Lasers To Fun work, giving you roughly a 20% crit chance despite it. With the high rate of fire this gun has... that's pretty impressive.

* Ironically, the Gatling Laser and the Sprtel-Wood 9700 both have a 1x crit multiplier, despite being automatic weapons, giving them a truly impressive 47% crit rate for their rate of fire. So if you want to go 'loud and proud' with a ton of crits downrange, this is one way to go about doing that.
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

There are two more fun ones if you're a pistol lover like I am: Maria and Lil Devil (12.7mm GRA) both have an x2 crit modifier. Lil Devil is harder to feed than Maria, but easier than Light Shining. While 9mm is probably the most common ammo in the game.

If you do want 12.7mm, make friends with the Khans.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    There are two more fun ones if you're a pistol lover like I am: Maria and Lil Devil (12.7mm GRA) both have an x2 crit modifier. Lil Devil is harder to feed than Maria, but easier than Light Shining. While 9mm is probably the most common ammo in the game.

If you do want 12.7mm, make friends with the Khans.
    .45 Auto is surprisingly easy to obtain after you complete the DLC, as ammo starts showing up all over the Mojave, but especially the Khans, Mick & Ralphs, NOVAC, and the GRA Vendortron.

Maria is... well, it's kind of late into the game, as by the time you get access to it, you're having to make your Big Decision. Li'l Devil I had forgotten about, but yes, also viable. In my experience, ALSD is easier to keep fed than Li'l Devil, because its ammo starts showing up at pretty much any vendor that stocks ammo once you complete the DLC, but YMMV.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Thanks for the tips. I’m going the Guns route, so probably get That Gun when I hit Novac.

Rather disappointingly, there aren’t many low Intelligence differences i’ve seen so far. One or two simpler sentences, but nothing meme worthy. I guess they couldn’t go overboard with it but still

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the tips. I’m going the Guns route, so probably get That Gun when I hit Novac.

Rather disappointingly, there aren’t many low Intelligence differences i’ve seen so far. One or two simpler sentences, but nothing meme worthy. I guess they couldn’t go overboard with it but still
    Wait until you get to the doctor that sells implants. Also, some very amusing dialogue options in OWB.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Also Helios One and the Old Mormon Fort.

I find I can get hands on Li'l Devil sooner on a pistol run than I can ALSD, simply because I can sell all those expensive and heavy long guns for tons of caps. But if I'm going dedicated pistols, I carry about 6 of them. So I'll have Lucky, Li'l Devil, ALSD, a Recharger Pistol, Mysterious Magnum and either a Ranger Seqouia, or Sawn-off shotgun. (Which I count as a pistol even if it's technically a shotgun.)

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, that’s kind of funny

Spoiler
    Show
    You sell plants?
    No, implants.
    I recommend the get smarter one.

Thanks to JSawyer mod I didn’t need to go into a DLC to find armor that increases CRIT, but i’ll probably go eventually. Those one-shots, especially with relatively weak guns, are so satisfying.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kinglinus1 View Post
    So I started up a new character on Fallout 76 and I have come to a fascinating discovery...

It's not a very good game.
    No, it just isn't the same mindset.
    You have to get used to gathering supplies (for repairing/etc).
    Also, plan how you want to build (although this isn't easy as what Perks you get access to can be random). Also, the best legendaries you can find are random.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So Ratslayer turned out to be stronger than I expected. The silenced aspect of it means that even though it’s damage output isn’t great, the enemy will often eat a few bullets before reacting.

And as the name implies it’s great for one-shots on weaker critters to conserve stronger ammo.

It’s hard to put it away, but now that I have the COS Silencer I think it’s time. Something that can snipe armoured targets will be more useful in the endgame.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly... just put it on a different hotkey. .308 isn't the least common ammo, but there's no point in wasting it on the trash mobs.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Another weapon you might want is All American. Despite the lackluster 1x crit multiplier, it is a semi-automatic scoped rifle chambered in 5.56. Even though it doesn't have the raw punch Christine's does, it's got a much faster rate of fire and a 24 round magazine. Useful for everything from close quarters to long range on soft targets. Mind you, I wouldn't want to be hunting Deathclaw with it, but it'll do for the average Fiend or Gecko.

Also, one of the more amusing things to do with 5.56 is to buy bulk Surplus ammo, which isn't worth very much, then go to an ammo bench, break it all down, then craft Match ammo with it. While Match only gives a 15% bonus damage, it also reduces your spread, making your already accurate weapons even more accurate. Another fun fact is that they share the small rifle primers with 5mm ammo that is generally available in bulk to feed the always hungry minigun, so if you are having trouble getting enough primers, try breaking down 5mm ammo. It'll also have some lead and powder for you to use as well.

Plus, remember Ratslayer's crit rate... don't count it out just because you have Christine's. Use her's for big game, like Super Mutants or Deathclaws or Radscorps. Use the smaller munitions for softer targets.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293
    Titan in the Playground

All American isn't bad vs Deathclaws, particularly if you've packed some AP ammo. Use it to cripple legs in groups, like the exterior of Dead Wind Cavern.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    All American isn't bad vs Deathclaws, particularly if you've packed some AP ammo. Use it to cripple legs in groups, like the exterior of Dead Wind Cavern.
    I'd rather use something with more single-hit punch like Christine's with JSP to one-shot kneecap if not one-shot kill them.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It feels weird to have two silenced sniper rifles, but I will consider it. JSawyer really cuts into your carrying capacity and I’m in hardcore mode, hence my tendency to keep a thin load out. Until I get out of Big MT I have no companions to act as baggage mules either.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

It feels weird to have two silenced sniper rifles, but I will consider it. JSawyer really cuts into your carrying capacity and I’m in hardcore mode, hence my tendency to keep a thin load out. Until I get out of Big MT I have no companions to act as baggage mules either.
    One of the advantages of All American is that it runs 5.56mm, the same ammo used in your Ratslayer, thus reducing the number of different types of ammo you need to tote around, and 5.56 is a pretty lightweight ammo in HC mode.

Also, you can store a ton of stuff in the SINK's many containers. So as long as you return to the Sink regularly to stow your loot, you can plunder the Big Empty with relative ease.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oof...one of JSawyer’s changes is that varmint rifles and the Ratslayer use 22 LR instead of 5.56.

But the point about containers is valid. Being forced to prioritise loot is fun in its own way, I suppose. Choices matter and all that.

Realising too late that Pack Rat requires Intelligence 5, when I’m intentionally running an Intelligence 1 build, ow.

One of the reasons I head into OWB as soon as my char can handle it, is the free +2 Strength you can get for finishing it. That’s a lot of carry weight, under my current mod load.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Right, OWB with JSawyer. Ignore my previous advice. Toss Ratslayer in an inventory and forget about it. Between being severely gimped by the least common, and least varied ammo type, and there not really being any of the trash mobs you'd want it for, it's totally useless. Only uniqueness saves it from Vendor Trash status.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Oof...one of JSawyer’s changes is that varmint rifles and the Ratslayer use 22 LR instead of 5.56.
    Then nevermind what I said, and ditch Ratslayer in favor of Christine's.

But the point about containers is valid. Being forced to prioritise loot is fun in its own way, I suppose. Choices matter and all that.
    There's a mod called Sort-o-matic, which is kind of an API thing that does sorted inventories in a building, and the addon Sink-o-matic basically turns all of the inventory containers in the Sink into an interconnected, sorted, and filtered inventory management system. It doesn't necessarily give you MORE capacity to store things, but it does make it a lot easier to find what you have.

Realising too late that Pack Rat requires Intelligence 5, when I’m intentionally running an Intelligence 1 build, ow.
    Ouch.

One of the reasons I head into OWB as soon as my char can handle it, is the free +2 Strength you can get for finishing it. That’s a lot of carry weight, under my current mod load.
    Yea, the implants are one reason why I rush to OWB as well. Heck, the Heartless perk makes you completely immune to poison, making Cazadores far less dangerous. Gear is another reason, though. K-9000/FIDO for the 'loud and proud' crowd, Christine's for the snipers, and Elijah's LAER for the pew-pew crew.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

So, I started playing New Vegas again. Rather than climb up from the basement, I loaded up my save from my TTW playthrough... without actually loading TTW. So, I lost a couple items (RIP the General's Longcoat, my favorite armor), kept some I didn't expect (Ranger's armor is in NV files, apparently), and between Almost Perfect and the Bobbleheads, have 10 in all stats. My main difference is I'm playing Project Nevada.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.