New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallout IX: Nuclear Cash Cows Go MMOoooooo!

I don't know the reference. Her name was Carrie, using the incendiary implant from Project Nevada. But the Ballistic Fist was a nice upgrade from her Spiked Knuckles.
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quick question: does installing mods affect steam achievements

Edit: for New Vegas specifically
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2019-02-01 at 07:16 AM.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    I don't know the reference. Her name was Carrie, using the incendiary implant from Project Nevada. But the Ballistic Fist was a nice upgrade from her Spiked Knuckles.
    It's a reference to a little mini-arc of El Goonish Shive's side comic.

It starts here and gets better.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, I rarely remember the side one exists.

For New Vegas, no it doesn't. Using console commands does, but only during that one play session. And with the notable exception of tcl.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2019-02-01 at 10:11 AM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateCaptain

For New Vegas, no it doesn't. Using console commands does, but only during that one play session. And with the notable exception of tcl.
    Wait, tcl doesn't disable achievements? I thought just opening the console was enough.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Wait, tcl doesn't disable achievements? I thought just opening the console was enough.
    TCL is necessary because Bethesda doesn't believe clipping is ever an issue.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    TCL is necessary because Bethesda doesn't believe clipping is ever an issue.
    I remember the very first time I got New Vegas on Steam. Finished the Sunny tutorial, all pumped up and ready to go. Then I got stuck in a random rock.

After that I learned to save regularly
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

All hail the might of CASM. And no, opening the console does nothing, because it's how I pause the game most of the time.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2019-02-01 at 08:33 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Funny story: to complete We Are Legion I run into the command tent and just start shooting. I might have been able to ambush the Major, but the tech officer never leaves her chair. I see my NCR rep take a hit, so I assume the whole camp will attack me as soon as I leave.

They don’t. Everyone on my radar is neutral. I’m within line of sight of at least two NCR troopers. Not wanting to push my luck I trigger the rep reset immediately after

EDIT: Finished my Legion run, 100% steam achievos. Now I'm thinking about mods. But it all looks overwhelming.

I was interested in JSawyer after seeing MATN's video. But according to what I can find I need:

1. Fallout Mod Manager
    2. New Vegas Script Extender
    3. JIP LN NVSE Plugin
    4. The actual JSawyer mod itself

I honestly have no clue what any of those things are.

www.nexusmods.com is a legit site, right? I can trust files that come from there?
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2019-02-03 at 10:54 AM.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

10. - Top - End - #130

Nexusmods is legit.

As for those files, a mod manager is just that, a mod manager. Just a program which makes it easier to install and uninstall mods. NVSE is a plugin which allows modders to use additional commands and perform additional actions which go beyond what can normally be done in NV. JIP is an addon to NVSE which enables even more stuff. And (as I'm guessing you know if you're planning on installing it), the JSawyer mod is a mod which attempts to rebalance aspects of the game to make it closer to the stated vision of Josh Sawyer, who was the lead designer on NV.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

First off... welcome to the Modded side of New Vegas. There are many powers here which some consider... unnatural.

Second, I think MATN had a couple of other mods in addition to the JSawyer mod, you might want to double-check to ensure you're getting the experience you are looking for.

Third, NexusMods is a good site. They're pretty decent about not letting bad stuff through. I've actually used Nexus as both a consumer and a producer of mods (my mod is for Stardew Valley, though), and I find it to be a very legitimate place for both hosting and downloading mods.

Fallout Mod Manager, or as it will be typically referred to, FOMM, is a mod manager. Think of it as a launcher, if you want, something akin to MultiMC for Minecraft. It lets you customize your game by giving a user-friendly interface for adding mods to the game, particularly mods which are built to support FOMM and utilize its GUI to permit options and customization during the installation process. I highly suggest using this if you plan on doing ANY modding at all.

NVSE, or New Vegas Script Extender, is similar in concept to an API upon which many mods depend. By itself, it does almost nothing, but it is the foundation upon which more in-depth mods can rest. Run the installer once, from there FOMM should be able to run it without issue.

JIP LN NVSE Plugin is a library, if we want to use a minecraft comparison, think of it as CoFH Core. Again, by itself it does little, but is a required dependency upon which the mod you desire rests. This is what 'hooks' into NVSE so that the mod does what the mod author wants it to do.

JSawyer Mod. This is the one that does what you want: actually change game mechanics to those seen in the series you enjoyed. However, it requires the aforementioned steps to function properly.

If you wish a more in-depth modded experience, please feel free to consult us, and we will provide what knowledge we have acquired.

For those already doing modding... I've got a question that I can't seem to find an answer for...

I've got P:NV which uses both DT and DR. However, both of these seem to use up the same space in the PipBoy interface, and flash back and forth. But if I scroll down to another item, it can cause an issue where I can't see the DT of that item if the previous item looked at was displaying DR. Anyone have a GUI mod or fix for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Using DarnUI? Or MTUI?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Can someone explain to me, exactly, what the "4GB" mod does? Most of the others have rather self-explanatory names.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex_Pariah View Post
    Can someone explain to me, exactly, what the "4GB" mod does? Most of the others have rather self-explanatory names.
    It alters the game's executable to allow it to access more of the computer's memory (up to 4 GB, hence the name). By default New Vegas is not large address aware, so it's only able to use 2 GB of memory, which can be a problem if you're using memory-intensive mods.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I chose JSawyer in particular because it seems to be a relatively unobtrusive thing, making a bunch of little changes that (as far as I can tell) make sense.

Not a fan of reduced carrying capacity, but hey that's what Strength and perks are for.

Scattering the DLC set items is also nice. The normal version front-loads you with a lot of gear, which affects the challenge early on.

Now maybe I can kill fiends and ghouls without being turned into a Mojave saint.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Using DarnUI? Or MTUI?
    Never did trust something that wasn't found on Nexus Mods so never was brave enough to try DarnUI, and never tried MTUI either.

I do have oHUD and UIO, but that's about it, and that's more for cross-mod compatibility than anything else. But I suppose UIO would make it easier to install a UI component to help deal with the issue.

I chose JSawyer in particular because it seems to be a relatively unobtrusive thing, making a bunch of little changes that (as far as I can tell) make sense.

Not a fan of reduced carrying capacity, but hey that's what Strength and perks are for.

Scattering the DLC set items is also nice. The normal version front-loads you with a lot of gear, which affects the challenge early on.

Now maybe I can kill fiends and ghouls without being turned into a Mojave saint.
    I believe the JSawyer mod does the same thing that Project Nevada (a FAR more in-depth, almost full-conversion mod) does, in that it more heavily weights Strength in the calculation. So instead of 10*(Str)+150 it's like 20*(Str)+50. Still comes out the same, but Strength now has a more significant role in the calculation. So it is only reduced carrying capacity if you are relatively low strength. But yea... Strong Back and Burden to Bear are both really good perks in this system.

You friggen deserve to be considered a saint for killing Fiends. Ghouls are a nuisance, but that could've been better handled with a bounty more than karma, but Fiends? Screw them.
    Last edited by ShneekeyTheLost; 2019-02-04 at 03:01 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I believe the JSawyer mod does the same thing that Project Nevada (a FAR more in-depth, almost full-conversion mod) does, in that it more heavily weights Strength in the calculation. So instead of 10*(Str)+150 it's like 20*(Str)+50. Still comes out the same, but Strength now has a more significant role in the calculation. So it is only reduced carrying capacity if you are relatively low strength.
    I feel someone should point out that those formulas only "come out the same" if your STR is 10. So it's reduced carrying capacity for nearly everyone.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Reached Novac. Finished the ghoul rocket quest...at level 5. I kinda knew it would be like that, but I didn’t account for it in my character build plan.

I feel like a single skill approach might be better, and just resign myself to not making any other checks. Rather than spreading points across multiple skills.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

It depends on a couple factors really. High INT characters have an easier time doing multiple skills. And most checks are such that you can have another go just by not making a choice or restarting the conversation. But the second time around you can have read a magazine, or have had a drink to be more charismatic. I always say grab comprehension early, because double effect magazines means you can get away without spending so many skill points so fast. Got a bunch of Average locks? Could get through them with 50 points in lockpicking, 40 if you have a mag and a mere 30 if you have a Mag and Comprehension. That's twenty extra skill points you can put elsewhere.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Damn, I think something got messed up.

All of a sudden i’m seeing some gear with vanilla characteristics instead of JSawyer versions. Gear that I already picked up previously seems to have changed back too.

EDIT: Things are back to normal, but I have no idea what broke and what fixed it.

After some more playtime I think i’m more appreciative of the mod. Yeah leveling is slower, but it does encourage more thought in terms of perks, inventory, and skill management.
    Last edited by Haruspex_Pariah; 2019-02-05 at 05:38 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141

PirateCaptain

Things are back to normal, but I have no idea what broke and what fixed it.
    Modding in a nutshell.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

EDIT: Things are back to normal, but I have no idea what broke and what fixed it.
    Did you check astrological charts?
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Always launching the game via the NVSE loader seems to do the trick, hopefully it stays that way.

The vanilla version of Junk Rounds (if the wiki is to be believed) seems really terrible. JSawyer's version makes it considerably better, though in normal circumstances I still wouldn't have taken it. If nothing else, it's kind of fluffy.

I'm also running a self-imposed restriction of not buying weapons, ammo, or armor. Turns out you can pick up a decent amount of stuff just by looting people and gaining access to safehouses. I don't even have to steal most of it.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Always launching the game via the NVSE loader seems to do the trick, hopefully it stays that way.

The vanilla version of Junk Rounds (if the wiki is to be believed) seems really terrible. JSawyer's version makes it considerably better, though in normal circumstances I still wouldn't have taken it. If nothing else, it's kind of fluffy.

I'm also running a self-imposed restriction of not buying weapons, ammo, or armor. Turns out you can pick up a decent amount of stuff just by looting people and gaining access to safehouses. I don't even have to steal most of it.
    Yea, vanilla Junk Rounds are kinda really bad. And yea, kind of not really relevant once you get the Hand Loader perk, which lets you make better ammo, not worse.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I have ever purchased armor from a vendor. The best armor is either DLC rewards, found in DLC's, or found off of mobs or in specific areas. At least in my experience. As far as weapons... it's not too hard to get decent weapons without ever consulting with a vendor.

Now ammo... that's a horse of a different color. Mostly I purchase cheap ammo, break it down, and use the components to make better ammo using the Hand Loader perk. It's one of the reasons I generally start off with working my Guns skill, then diving into Vault 34 for All American relatively soon. It runs 5.56mm ammo which can be purchased as bulk in the Misc tab as Surplus instead of per each in the Ammo tab. Then just break it down and turn it into Match ammo. Same goes with the Assault Carbine. Its actually a pretty decent weapon for an automatic because the 5mm ammo comes with a built in -10 DT armor penetration, so you can buy bulk 5mm Surplus, break it down, and turn it into the pretty amazing 5mm JSP which has a 1.3x damage modifier, and keeps the -10 DT. Both weapons are also affected by the Grunt perk, as is A Light Shining In Darkness, which is one of the best handguns in the game. You do want the GRA version of the Assault Carbine, though, because you can buy weapon mods for it to improve its quality.

Of course, if you start getting into the heavier ammo types like .308 or 12.7mm, you start having greater difficulties keeping your baby fed, and you pretty much need to get ammo where you can find it, break it down, and make what you want. So if you're wanting to Be Like Christine (and who doesn't?), it can be a bit more difficult to keep topped off. But All American is pretty much 'sniper rifle lite' using a much more common ammo type.

I also use WMX (Weapon Mods Expanded) to be able to mod certain unique weapons. Of course, with some weapons, it also removes specific mod aspects. For example, in WMX, Christine's doesn't come stock with a silencer, you have to purchase the sniper rifle silencer and attach it.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

If you want bulk ammo in .308, Contreras at McCarran is your man. Bulk 12.7? The Great Khan Armory has what you need. 5.56? The dam quartermaster.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

If you want bulk ammo in .308, Contreras at McCarran is your man. Bulk 12.7? The Great Khan Armory has what you need. 5.56? The dam quartermaster.
    Contreras is... not always going to be available, depending on... things.

The dam quartermaster is unnecessary, Chet in Goodsprings typically has some bulk 5.56 Surplus on offer. For that matter, you can generally pick some up in NOVAC.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Out of curiosity, how many weapons do people normally roll with? I used to fill up my hotkeys, but with the reduced carry capacity of JSawyer I’ve cut that down to four. A handgun, a high dps weapon/shotgun, a sniper analogue, and a close combat weapon.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

I don't use JSawyer, but for most work I have a pistol, suppressed rifle and a shotgun. Plus grenade launcher/rifle. Pistol is essentially my bug zapper, basically the gun I use for minor pests, roaches, ants, fiends. Anything squishy but annoying. Suppressed Rifle is anything from the Varmint Rifle to the Marksman to a proper sniper rifle. I like the Marksman Rifle because it's semi-automatic and works just fine fired from the hip as it does aimed. Shotgun of choice tends to be the lever action, though if you have the patience, Dinner Bell's an amazing weapon. Riot shotgun fires and reloads faster, but Dinner Bell has a better per shot damage. Lever action does less damage, but weighs less and so does it's ammo. It also fires faster than Dinner Bell, though nowhere near as fast as a Riot shotgun.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

My last run was a Fists build, so I'm pretty sure I only carried my Fist and maybe a Sniper Rifle for stuff I couldn't run up to punch.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Firbolg in the Playground

Generally, I carry three to four weapons on me: a short-range weapon, a sniper, a high-DPS autofire, and a melee. So, with an energy weapons build, that might look like the Hyperbreeder, the YCS-186, Elijah's Advanced LAER, and a proton axe, while a Cowboy might wind up with the Medicine Stick, Sweet Revenge, and a lever-action shotgun.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!