Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default 5e 'alternate' classes

I want to wright a class for 5e that's not a full class, so to speak. Intended to be multiclassed into or not carry a character to level 20, is there anything I can call these types of classes, and anything I can reference for them?

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: 5e 'alternate' classes

I know in older editions of dnd there were prestige classes and they had certain prerequisites before you could multiclass into them, but I don't really know much more, and I don't think there's any official 5e prestige classes yet to compare them to.
    Hope this helps a little, at least.
    "Now get on your flying boat and stop a crazy dwarf vampire from committing election fraud!"

www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1025.html

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by SleeplessWriter View Post
    I know in older editions of dnd there were prestige classes and they had certain prerequisites before you could multiclass into them, but I don't really know much more, and I don't think there's any official 5e prestige classes yet to compare them to.
    Hope this helps a little, at least.
    Yea I was looking for a more-or-less equivalent to those. I know there are some rules for beyond-20th levels in the DMG but that's about as far as I can find

I like to create builds and see them as optimized as powerful. I also have an annoying habit of having gratuitous character ideas and used to regularly ask to switch them out, or ask for small, against-the-rules, caveats to see a character come to completion without being hopelessly useless.
    While I have kicked a few of these habits, or at least slowed them, I try to keep all of my builds/ideas across as few, as official, and as popular rulebooks as possible as to avoid annoying everyone else.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Yea I was looking for a more-or-less equivalent to those. I know there are some rules for beyond-20th levels in the DMG but that's about as far as I can find
    Unearthed Arcana came out with an example Prestige Class, if that helps. Look it up on the Wizards' site, it's one of their older ones.
    Cookie Count: One

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Spoiler: True Facts
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Here's the link to the Unearthed Arcana 5th edition prestige class(es). I don't really remember how many they have in that document.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...tige_Class.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by No brains View Post
    See, I remember the days of roleplaying before organisms could even see, let alone use see as a metaphor for comprehension. We could barely comprehend that we could comprehend things. Imagining we were something else was a huge leap forward and really passed the time in between absorbing nutrients.

Biggest play I ever made: "I want to eat something over there." Anticipated the trope of "being able to move" that you see in all stories these days.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Potato_Priest View Post
    Here's the link to the Unearthed Arcana 5th edition prestige class(es). I don't really remember how many they have in that document.

https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...tige_Class.pdf
    Exactly what I needed, thank you! Although the link does only lead to the Rune Magic prestige class

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by stewstew5 View Post
    Exactly what I needed, thank you! Although the link does only lead to the Rune Magic prestige class
    That's the only one they trialed--the whole concept got a very (almost unanimous) NO! from the surveys they did, so they scrapped the whole concept.

Remember, multiclassing is a variant rule. 5e has gone more in the direction of using subclasses/archetypes for this. If all you want are class-specific features, implementing them as culturally-linked/plot-linked boons without going to the trouble of multiclassing (with all the headaches that brings) fits better into 5e's general design.
    Dawn of Hope: a 5e setting. http://wiki.admiralbenbo.org
    PhoenixPhyre's Extended Homebrew Signature
    5e Monster Data Sheet--vital statistics for all 693 MM, Volo's, and now MToF monsters: Updated!

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    That's the only one they trialed--the whole concept got a very (almost unanimous) NO! from the surveys they did, so they scrapped the whole concept.

Remember, multiclassing is a variant rule. 5e has gone more in the direction of using subclasses/archetypes for this. If all you want are class-specific features, implementing them as culturally-linked/plot-linked boons without going to the trouble of multiclassing (with all the headaches that brings) fits better into 5e's general design.
    huh. well whady'a know.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I tried to make something similar to 3.5 prestige classes but within the design space of 5e.

Here's the first write-up. Needs some work. I did actually make the edits suggested in that thread (5 tiers instead of 3), but it was a couple weeks later than I expected and I never got it posted on the thread.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.
    My Patreon content. It's mostly setting development and short fiction about the adventuring party in one of my games in the same setting.