New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 20: Another day, another disaster

[Talman’s Toys]

The local currency is Don’t Worry About It. Trust me, it’s better to just not think about it too hard.

Krayger grimaces. He hasn’t gotten a well-paying job in a while. He would be dipping hard into his savings...but no, this is for Koshal. He can’t let him think anything is wrong. And really it isn’t. He’ll just have to be frugal for a while...
    ”That’s fine. I can pay you now.”
    With the pay you got today.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Talman's Toys]

Of course, this wasn't the first time Talman had seen someone cringe at his prices. "But as the first customer of the day, I'll knock it down to [MORE AFFORDABLE BUT STILL UNCOMFORTABLY HIGH PRICE], which can be paid in installments of [THAT'S A LOTTA MUNS] over the course of the next few months. Would that be acceptable?"
    Who're you? ...Don't matter.

Want some rye? 'Course ya do!

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

*gushes unintelligibly over our cat, Sunshine*

[Nexus characters, grouped by setting:
    Ouroboros: here
    Maesda: here
    Others: here
    ]

3. - Top - End - #273

[Talman's Toys]

Maybe vines? No...
    Just how did other druids make those tiny sap-things?
    Anika already seems slightly frustrated, though less about the job and more of her inability of instantly finding an easy solution to deal with it. Did other druids never have to deal with chores? Did they just sit around all day being mystical only to occasionally kick some orc ass? Cleaning was like, the most common chore ever. There had to be some way to apply the druid magic to deal with it...

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

[Talman's Toys]

Krayger thinks better of himself, shaking his head.
    "Maybe you have something...smaller? I'm afraid that the city is still recovering from the demon invasion last year. I don't know if some of your high-end goods will be sold at any speed in this state." MERC has had steady work helping the city in the aftermath, but Krayger does miss the more exciting (and lucrative) personal jobs he had in the past.

5. - Top - End - #275

[Talman's Toys]

"I do have smaller models, though none of that particular style." Talman replied. "However, I should warn you that the prices go up, not down, were you to downsize, as the difference in the material cost is still eclipsed by that of the labor involved." He taps his finger against the counter thoughtfully as he mulls over the problem. "...I could see about a custom job- copying over the engravings onto a cheaper model. It wouldn't run as well, but it would be easier on your wallet. Failing that, perhaps you could make up the difference directly? Goods such as mine are ripe targets for thieves, and I could use some security around here." He snatches another glance at Anika, internally emphasizing the point. It didn't take him long to notice that Anika hadn't made any notable progress... was she daydreaming? Stalling? Waiting for an accomplice? "...You have used a broom before, yes?" He asked her, clearly agitated.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

6. - Top - End - #276

[Talman's Toys]

Anika blinks as she's suddenly being addressed. "...yeah! Of course I have! I been brooming my butt off many times." She insists and makes a sweep for empathize. "I'm just considering how to do this faster, dude." Man, what a hard-ass. It wasn't her fault that his counters had been set up so they'd fall over at the simplest touch. it was bond to happen eventually.

Now also agitated, Anika makes some more energetic sweeps. There was no way she'd stay here for hours though...

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

[Talman's Toys]

Krayger brightens up a little.
    "If you'd like to hire me as a guard, I'm afraid you'll have to go through my paperwork like everyone else does, but I assure you it's rather minimal." he says, pulling a clipboard with copies of a single MERC form. It seems pretty standard issue.
    "I can't exactly take a permanent position, but I can certainly help you out for a while."

8. - Top - End - #278

[Talman's Toys]

"Fair enough." Talman muttered, looking over the form. "I'd only be able to justify a few weeks, anyway... a month, at the most, with supplementary pay." He clicked through the form quickly, scrawling in the details. "Pleasure doing business with you."

The elf woman was pissed, he could tell. He supposed that was fair- if she was innocent, he'd come off as being antagonistic, completely unprovoked. And if she wasn't, of course she was still going to be defensive. And for the moment, she was doing free labor... by most standards, a fairly neighborly thing to do. Get your head back to the present, Morim. He was being paranoid, and it wasn't helping the situation any.

...Well, he was before. Now she was mad. She could still filch some parts just to spite him.

...godsdammit.
    Last edited by Ironsmith; 2019-06-01 at 11:55 AM.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

9. - Top - End - #279

[Talman's Toys]

Suddenly, an idea occurs to Anika.

"Hey! Mister!" She puts the broom over her shoulder. "I got it, I could go and ask for some help and come back, since seriously. This is going to take hours and with a bit of help it can be done in like half an hour, probably."

10. - Top - End - #280

[Talman's Toys]

Absolutely not. Even if her intentions were otherwise pure, there were better than even odds Anika would just ditch the work altogether if given a chance to leave. "...I think you're missing the point." Talman pointed to the broom. "The more effort you put into pushing that broom, the sooner you can be done. You, not some stand-in. There's no substitute for a little elbow grease."

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

11. - Top - End - #281
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Northside - Fourth Tower Compound]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    The ape-woman stares back. "Don't give me sass now, not everyone has Sekai's conservative approach. There is actually little to no danger involved in these rituals if you just follow the instructions."

For the first time during the entire conversation, Sekai actually smiles. If only for a moment before she takes on her usual somber tone. "'Conservative'? When I started, they simply threw acolytes at whatever new entities they had found and observed the results. What I saw back then made me stick to my 'conservative' methods, Zula." She turns to Francoise. "Besides, just following the instructions won't give you the results you want. Now, the seed I am to call is named 'Kiinushii', you won't find much information about it within those books as no one has before managed to call upon it. I'm about to change that though. So if you're really interested, read up on everything you can find on the seeds and come here in two days at noon. Be well-prepared."
    Completely different answers from the two warlocks!
    Total chaos, this 4th Tower!

Françoise nods to Sekai.
    "I will be here and prepared."
    It sounds like they had better be getting back to the library, and that certainly sounded like Sekai dismissing them...so they turn to leave.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking Help]

Irena is back to shrugging helplessly as she's completely out of ideas now. "Let's go with your orphanage idea then. I shouldn't pretend I got any clue how to deal with these sort of things."
    [Seeking Help]

"I guess we better go talk to her about it then." Nadia will lead the way back into the living room. "Hey." She starts, sitting down across from Anastasia. "Have you heard of the Sacred Order of Cunningham?" She asks the girl. If Ana looks at Eliseo, he'll just shrug. He doesn't have any idea.

13. - Top - End - #283

[Talman's Toys]

Anika raises her hands in protest. "Whoa, whoa, I never said that I'd get another person. It's a, uh, tool I need that could clean up this place up, and don't you want it cleaned? And I will return, I swear. It won't take long to find."

As Francoise will learn, most warlocks have different opinions on these things.
    None the less, Sekai will as predicted close the door and that will be it.

"I'll show you to where you are to stay. Do you have any belongings with you besides what you carry?" She asks without looking at Francoise, just moving on.

[Seeking Help]

Irena wanders into the room, putting her hands in her pockets and leans against the coach. Nadia could explain this, she was just along for the ride.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

[Talman’s Toys]

Krayger nods.
    ”Same to you. See you in a bit, then.”
    And with that he’ll head out with his prize and is paperwork, and will return later with his gear for proper guard duty. A cushy job, he’s sure.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Faction HQ

The angel sighs, still unsure what any of this is about. What happened to Ithuriel before she got here? "This isn't just some clubhouse where we just sit around and complain about Magtok all day, Ithuriel. You know how some cities have a line of foreign restaurants all on one street, or an area known for its hotels, or a street with all the fast food chains on it? Skyside has something like that, an entire street dedicated to slaves. It's disgusting, and it's even more disgusting that people just let it exist."

Ambriel points out a particular stream of data, with someone's banking information. A portion is highlighted, denoting routine withdrawals just outside the reviled Slaver Street.

"VIGIL isn't doing anything about that. HALO isn't doing anything about that, either. They only deal with the immediate problems, not the institutional ones. Nobody cares, because once evil gets embedded in the fabric of the Nexus like that, no one has the time or patience needed to cut it out. Faction is going to be the someones who care, though. We've got the guns, the bodies, and nothing better to do with our lives. That's the whole reason we're all sticking together in this dumb secret base, to put all our weapons and weirdness to good use, to try to make the Nexus a better place. I thought you knew that." It does occur to Ambriel that he might've been a bit too ambiguous about Faction's mission every now and then. It probably would've saved him a lot of trouble now if he just opened up sooner.
    [Faction HQ]

Ithuriel lets out a strangled growl of frustration. Why now of all times has Ambriel chosen to act like such a Magtok? Would returning the hug have been too much to ask for? How about an "It will be alright Ithuriel, tell me what happened?" Something, anything like that?

Yes, she had burst in here. Sure, she'd freaked at what was on the screens- well, okay, she's still kind of freaking out about that a bit, but couldn't it have waited? Couldn't it have just, well, not gone like this somehow?

Anything would be better than this.

She steps away from Ambriel and slumps against a wall, her whole body shaking as the tears start streaming. No, no this argument had to wait, it was too much right now. Of course she knew the Faction were doing something, and she was fine with that as long as it didn't bring them into conflict with Inside. Their particular branch of justice may be a little more vigilante in nature, but she believed they were doing the right thing in their own way. That's made harder knowing that somewhere in that wall of information, if she'd already spotted a reference to her up there, there were bound to be other cases where they were spying on Inside too.

No. Not now. Now is not the time.

One hand rests on her belly. She shudders, takes a deep breath and looks back up at Ambriel. "You could've been a father, Wings."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

16. - Top - End - #286

[Talman's Toys]

"...You have a tool for cleaning it up." Talman pointed out, gesturing to the broom in her hands. "If it will help you pass the time, we could always converse while you work. I'm not going anywhere for another eight and a half hours." He hadn't bothered to check a clock, but he was aware of the time as it was. He figured getting a profile on this woman might help peg her as a thief (or not) in a more subtle way, a well... plus it'd occupy her brain more than menial labor would, reducing the odds of her fleeing.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

17. - Top - End - #287
    Barbarian in the Playground

DMside - Cathedral

Fluttering over the wall, flying very gracefully and sweetly despite the scowl across her face, is a light purple pegasus with dark red hair, wearing what looks like a jumpsuit with the arms tied around her flank. She flits through the district, searching, until she finds what she's looking for, landing in front of the cathedral and adjusting the strap on her satchel before heading up to the door. She knocks on the door once with her front hoof before trying to just kick the door open. She still hasn't gotten used to not having fingers. HEY. OPEN UP! SICK AND NEEDY PERSON WHO JUST WANTS TO BE EVERYONE'S FRIEND HERE.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

[DMside - Cathedral]

DMside is a bit diffeetn from other places, most noticable when you fly over the streets. The amount of robots is extremly high and I don't talk about Star Wars Droids , futerama robots or those guys from IRobot (if you know that film).
    There are a whole lot of different types like the guarding 12 feet high guys or transporting once with containers on their backs and so on. Around 1/4 of the population seems to be a robot. Still it appears they aren't just working slaves. They help people in their tasks and some seem to talk to them. Even thought they have no speaking device.

The front ground of the church is strangly green. It's a deep contrast to the church itself, while you got trees and flowers in different colors here. The building itself appears to be made of different kinds of metal making it appear very alive. Sadly for the pony this is a 'pull' door (public safty reasons). After the knocking the pony will hear steps coming for the door. As the door opens a woman will stand their wearing some heavy and expensive looking robes. The color is a mix of white and red and the designe covers the body not like those female fantasie outfits. The woman appears to be in her early 20ties at best.

"Hello, how can we help you?" the woman say friendly with a smile.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

19. - Top - End - #289

DMside - Cathedral

Violet is not in a healthy enough mental state to perceive the problem with the door and probably would have kept kicking the hell out of it. Good thing the door opened. I'M A BUCKIN' HORSE! FIX IT CELESTIA DAMN IT! Violet has been saying strange words and she is not happy about it.

Show

20. - Top - End - #290

[DMside - Cathedral]

There migth have been more kicking then since Mia had to walk through the whole building. She was preparing for a church fair.

Mia isn't so pleased when someone yells at her . So she straigthens up and a wink of authority flows in her voice as she speaks to the pony.

"First of all. Calm Down! Yelling doesn't solve your problem.
    Second. you are a pony and if that is not normal you have to tell me what you original where. I'm not a prophet.
    Third do it calm. The guards don't care for your look. If you make to much trouble they will pin you down. We had problems in the past and hope to slowly decrease the number of Guards.
    Fourth. This is the church of Deus Mechanicus. We will help you as far as wie can , but we don't know 'Celestria'
    Last. My name is Mia Mechanicus. I'm the high priestress here. What is your name?"

21. - Top - End - #291

I don't know who Celestia is either. Violet says, before realising that no, she does, she's one of the rulers of Equestria and is responsible for raising the sun and why the buck does she know that. I'm Violet Wishes. She says, before frowning. No, that's not right, I'm Violet, none of that wishes horseapples. I used to be a normal buckin' human and now I'm this Celestia damn horse nonsense! Some spider bay cursed me or some ponyfeathers. Violet misses real swear words so much and she's been a horse for less than a day.

Show

22. - Top - End - #292

[Talman's Toys]

"Come on dude, I got other stuff to do. I can pay someone else to do this. I'm a member of VIGIL, a hero-organization, so all the time spent here could be spent out there saving people." Anika argues even though she didn't really having any saving planned today. It could still happen though!

23. - Top - End - #293

[Talman's Toys]

"Do they make cards or something like that?" Talman asked. If he had a quarter for every time someone had claimed to him that they had special privileges or a more important schedule, he'd be rich in the US, at least.

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

24. - Top - End - #294
    Firbolg in the Playground

As Francoise will learn, most warlocks have different opinions on these things.
    None the less, Sekai will as predicted close the door and that will be it.

"I'll show you to where you are to stay. Do you have any belongings with you besides what you carry?" She asks without looking at Francoise, just moving on.
    "Very well. No, nothing else."
    Françoise gives a shake of the head. Having more things than one can carry is silly. Having things at all is a little silly, come to think of it, but sacrifices must be made to interact with the Nexus's strange creatures.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #295

[Talman's Toys]

"Uh, yeah! Just hold on a second." Anika claims as she eyes her pockets. "I mean, I used to fight evil stuff before I joined. I mean, if you have magical powers you pretty much have to, right?" After rummaging around for a few moments she finally produces a worn badge which does identify her as a member of VIGIL. "See? Totally legit." As if to prove this she actually takes a bite out of the badge. Not even her sharp canines able to make a dent in it.

Then he will be guided to one of the flats in the campus where they will be set up with things he needs.

((The next part will take some planning though so the scene will pause for now.))

26. - Top - End - #296

[Talman's Toys]

"...Interesting." Talman tested the badge himself by attempting to bend it in his hands, only for the telltale twang of a spring dislocating in his wrist to let him know he wouldn't be capable of doing it. This was a game-changer. The badge definitely belonged to a powerful organization, and he vaguely recalled VIGIL having a heroic bent to it. If she was indeed a licensed hero, he could only assume her intentions were neutral, at worst... and belonging to a powerful group with a good reputation, if she wanted to steal something from him, she could certainly stand to be much more direct. The girl's just clumsy, apparently.

"...Very well, then."
    Talman returned the badge to Anika. "If you earnestly believe your time is better spent elsewhere, I won't keep you." He made his way over to where he had acquired the broom and produced another one, before starting to shamble back to the pile of parts. "After all, a hero is honest and has a well-honed sense of personal responsibility. Accidents happen, and you are in no need of being taught a lesson on either subject... even as much of a whippersnapper as you are." The thrumming pulse of his chest pumps formed the back of a low chuckle as he clicked out the broom. "Ah, no matter. Leave an old shopkeeper to his work, yes?"

Here's to us.
    Who's like us?
    Damn few,
    and they're aaall dead.

]

27. - Top - End - #297

[Talman's Toys]

Anika watches him bend her badge with some unease. She had already lost one badge so Wenomir probably wouldn't be happy if she lost another one. "Erm... well, can I at least buy one of those arm watches I was looking at? I can take the most expensive one." A beat. "As long as its not too expensive. I'm not made of money." She holds out her hand, hoping to get her badge back.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ogre in the Playground

[Talman's Toys]

The door bell jingles indicating another customer has entered the shop as the door cracks open for a moment before shutting again. It takes a moment to find him though as you have to look down, all the way down, before the small Russian Blue cat becomes apparant.

Reinholdt, said cat, looks around at the mess, at the strange mechanical man, and at the purple... what nymph? Thing with pointy ears. Rein can't be expected to keep track of every races' colorations. He holds up his paws innocently. "Wasn't me," He insists, referring to the current disaster. He's not getting pinned on this one! When he causes a mess, you'll know.

Since the mechanical man looks like the help, Rein turns and asks the tall purple... drow?, "Uh, are you open right now or should I come back later?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

29. - Top - End - #299

Faction HQ

Quote Originally Posted by Gnrlshrimp View Post
    [Faction HQ]

Ithuriel lets out a strangled growl of frustration. Why now of all times has Ambriel chosen to act like such a Magtok? Would returning the hug have been too much to ask for? How about an "It will be alright Ithuriel, tell me what happened?" Something, anything like that?

Yes, she had burst in here. Sure, she'd freaked at what was on the screens- well, okay, she's still kind of freaking out about that a bit, but couldn't it have waited? Couldn't it have just, well, not gone like this somehow?

Anything would be better than this.

She steps away from Ambriel and slumps against a wall, her whole body shaking as the tears start streaming. No, no this argument had to wait, it was too much right now. Of course she knew the Faction were doing something, and she was fine with that as long as it didn't bring them into conflict with Inside. Their particular branch of justice may be a little more vigilante in nature, but she believed they were doing the right thing in their own way. That's made harder knowing that somewhere in that wall of information, if she'd already spotted a reference to her up there, there were bound to be other cases where they were spying on Inside too.

No. Not now. Now is not the time.

One hand rests on her belly. She shudders, takes a deep breath and looks back up at Ambriel. "You could've been a father, Wings."
    "I could've wh-" Hold on, that doesn't make any sense at all. They had a very clear conversation about this; her messy confluence of racial templates (were-rhino, angel, and vampire) meant she couldn't have kids. She made it pretty clear she was as fertile as a glacier, and he accepted that without hesitation at the tine, because hardly anyone besides that one dryad lady ever survives the experience. Settling down, historically speaking, is a good way to wind up vanishing from the Nexus, unless you continue to find time for nonsense adventures and engaging with the rest of the world, as the Magtoks, Reinholdts, and other lucky survivors have.

So logically, this should be good news, then. Ithuriel was wrong all along, but something happened, and the threat to them both, the potential bundle of joy (and character death) was averted. Logically, this is the best possible outcome, right? Logically, he shouldn't feel like he was just hit with by Riftline train, stumbling back into the chair he doesn't even remember rising up out of.

"How? Wh-what happened?"
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

30. - Top - End - #300

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    I don't know who Celestia is either. Violet says, before realising that no, she does, she's one of the rulers of Equestria and is responsible for raising the sun and why the buck does she know that. I'm Violet Wishes. She says, before frowning. No, that's not right, I'm Violet, none of that wishes horseapples. I used to be a normal buckin' human and now I'm this Celestia damn horse nonsense! Some spider bay cursed me or some ponyfeathers. Violet misses real swear words so much and she's been a horse for less than a day.
    DMside - Cathedral

"Hmm. Well, let us go somewhere else. There I might investigate this." Mia says and offers Violet to come in.
    Should she come in, she will see the inside of the cathedral. While the metal from outside makeds it look alive, inside it's arranged to look rather normal. People here might feel the devine presure from the god, but the whole area appears comfortable. The walls have a mundane look which is only broken by the artifacts of the church hanging on the wll. The artifacts are mostly copies of great robots, plans or parts of the teaching of the church. The main area is covered with benches and on an upper floor there are tables as well.

Mia will lead violet to the right wing which seems to lead to some kind of work areal, At least the sound of smashing hammers, burning fire and raw machines emerge from there. Then Mia stops in front of a door. "Please go in, I will just change and be here in a minute."

The room mentioned is strangly silent taking the noise you heared outside. There seems to be some very good insulation. The room itself appears like a modern treatment room. There are some chairs, a bench, a table, set of tools and so on. Violet might look at them all if she can grab them.

If nothing else happens Mia will return and use some magic to check if there is a curse at all and if possible what is going on with her.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2019-06-06 at 01:46 AM.