New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 50 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 20: Another day, another disaster

[Tracking Rats - The Ruins of Light's Hearth]

The two approaching Halae may be surprised as her body suddenly bursts into flames! The power being channeled flows out of her, the fire taking shape and following the circle she placed the rat in.

The sorcery Halae is directing is using the dead rat as a focus. It should be pulling back any spirit that has touched it unnaturally. This means the rat's own soul will be left alone, but anything that has, say, possessed it will feel an inexorable pull towards the corpse, and may well find itself trapped within the warded, flaming circle if it isn't powerful enough to break free.
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Tracking Rats - MERC Riverside Office - Holly]

Holly looks over at Fade to see if he has any questions.
    She then slowly shakes her head 'no'. She doesn't have any.

However, she decides to summarize what they need to do. "Avoid spooky magic, arrest KABAL, find whatever magic-person caused the rats, find anyone suspicious who entered the city less than three weeks ago." Seems simple enough.

The half-human adds: "I know some of the people interning at the Eastside government, I can have them leak me the deets." She salutes the gorgon and turns to head out of the office.

------

She heads towards Eastside's city council building. On the way there, Holly takes a quick detour into a dark alley. While there, she begins changing. She quickly alters her clothes, then starts working on changing her hairstyle. While doing that, her ears round out, her face structure and her body structure changes, her mannerisms and gait change, and to finalize it, she pulls out a mask and puts it on.
    She's no longer Holly the private investigator but instead is Ms Martinez, Eastside Councilwoman.

She pulls a phone out of her pocket and dials for her assistant. "Hello, Lana? This is Ms Martinez. I'm going to see if we can find a solution to the rat problem. As their priority one, have the interns put together a list of everybody came into the city two to three weeks ago, and sort them by how likely they are to have something to do with the rats. I'm putting you in charge of negotiating with the other governments for getting their data, and if they need to talk to someone you can tell them to call me. I'll be in my office briefly in case you need further clarification or need to update me on other items of business."

She then enters the building to begin looking through the news, border security, and other related databases herself and begins writing any suspicious magic-related activity within the last three weeks down in her notebook. Obviously, there are a lot, but she's got to start somewhere, right?
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #423

Dena gives Holly a slight nod in response before the half-elf leaves.

There isn't much unusual she can find about the data. A lot of people in the nexus are quite unusual in themselves and therefore many things that would be considered noteworthy elsewhere just seem like everyday business here. Riverside isn't quite so unusual as Inside however and it seems like there have been an increase of citizens reporting strange features of strangers to the police as of late in the fear that they might be demonic agents.
    Most of these include horns, strangely colored eyes and hooves.
    In one of these cases a woman with all these three features was reported entering the city in the company of a number of rats. This happened just two weeks ago today.
    The police haven't had the time to check up many of these reports however as there have been much more important things to deal with than suspicion reports that didn't indicate an actual crime taking place.
    There were still no confirmed sightings of any demons even if plenty of people had claimed they had seen at least one walking down the street or haunting them at night.

Some semblance of a spirit is drawn back to the corpse within the circle and broken and burned body stirs and gets up, animating to some semblance of life. The moment it is brought back it seem to panic and start to dash out the circle, but finds itself unable to.
    Any scans, magical or otherwise, will reveal that this seems to be a standard rat. That is, if it hadn't been dead and broken. What resides within it seems to be the spirit of a rat, despite the fact that Halae specifically didn't try to draw back its own spirit. Therefore, something has to be different about about the rat-spirit that inhabits it and the rat itself, but a casual glance won't reveal what it might be.

Tarim looks to Halae to see this "considerable power" himself, but even as she bust into flames and the rat animates back to life, he doesn't seem impressed yet. "Mhmm... so what now?" The servant inquires as he stares as the panicking rat.
    He gestures at Amalungak. "Perhaps that's alive enough for you?"

[KABAL Rat Hunting]

The trolls are all too out of their mind to register the woman and both of them are knocked prone by the splashes of water, which also manage to wash off the yellow substance. They appear to be completely out of it for now. Though the other two trolls are still fleeing with their arms flailing about, quickly disappearing down the street.

People inside the restaurants have started to notice what is going on now and are looking out the windows with curiosity and concern. A young human boy with pointed canines tugs his fathers sleeve and gestures at woman that suddenly appeared. "It's Archera!" He exclaims in wonder and several of the other patrons seem to recognize both the name and her imposing figure.
    Her mere presence seems to be enough to make turn their concern into wonder. What was once a dangerous brawl had turned into a spectacle where they were the spectators.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-08-26 at 02:42 PM.

4. - Top - End - #424

Spoiler: [B
    Show
    [Tracking Rats - MERC Riverside Office][/B]]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Tracking Rats - MERC Riverside Office]

Dena's eyebrow raise as the shadowy elven figure that appears. Fade certainly had abilities beyond her understanding. "You tell me Fade." She replies as she looks between the two. "You're both members of MERC which means that you must met some standards of competence." She smiles. "Or so I assume. But instead of telling you how to do your jobs I'm going to trust that you can use your abilities much better than I ever could." The gorgon leans forward. "What I can give you though is information. The city is currently seeing demons everywhere. Anyone with horns, hooves, creepy weird eyes and etcetera run the risk of being accused from what I'm told. Nothing much has happened about these accusations though but the word on the street is that many demon-related people have started to move out of Riverside. As if they're sensing blood in the water. So if you're going to use spooky magic, be low-key about it alright? Don't want people to think you're demons or whatever."
    She takes a deep breath. "Furthermore, KABAL is all over this rat hunting business and are stirring up trouble all over the place as they're not above causing some property damage to catch a dozen rats. If you catch them doing anything of the sort, you have the legal right to arrest them but never sink to their level. We're currently being paid to act as law-enforcers after all so some standards have to be kept. Finally, the rat trouble started a little more than two weeks ago. If I were you I'd try to find out what happened then. Whoever entered the city at that date might just be responsible for this mess." There is a longer pause.

"Any questions on that?"
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post

Holly looks over at Fade to see if he has any questions.
    She then slowly shakes her head 'no'. She doesn't have any.

However, she decides to summarize what they need to do. "Avoid spooky magic, arrest KABAL, find whatever magic-person caused the rats, find anyone suspicious who entered the city less than three weeks ago." Seems simple enough.

The half-human adds: "I know some of the people interning at the Eastside government, I can have them leak me the deets." She salutes the gorgon and turns to head out of the office.

------

She heads towards Eastside's city council building. On the way there, Holly takes a quick detour into a dark alley. While there, she begins changing. She quickly alters her clothes, then starts working on changing her hairstyle. While doing that, her ears round out, her face structure and her body structure changes, her mannerisms and gait change, and to finalize it, she pulls out a mask and puts it on.
    She's no longer Holly the private investigator but instead is Ms Martinez, Eastside Councilwoman.

She pulls a phone out of her pocket and dials for her assistant. "Hello, Lana? This is Ms Martinez. I'm going to see if we can find a solution to the rat problem. As their priority one, have the interns put together a list of everybody came into the city two to three weeks ago, and sort them by how likely they are to have something to do with the rats. I'm putting you in charge of negotiating with the other governments for getting their data, and if they need to talk to someone you can tell them to call me. I'll be in my office briefly in case you need further clarification or need to update me on other items of business."

She then enters the building to begin looking through the news, border security, and other related databases herself and begins writing any suspicious magic-related activity within the last three weeks down in her notebook. Obviously, there are a lot, but she's got to start somewhere, right?

"Fades eyes stop glowing . "It would be easier if someone has gathered the other shadow, but for this purpose it should be alright." Fade comments first.

"I got a few questions.
    Those demon-related people , have you heared where they went to? I assume they might also feel the views from the people and moved to avoid the tense atmosphere of the city. Likly they gatherd as they all have the same issue.
    Who are our allys in the City? I heared of different fractions paying for dead rats. Would any of them help us or rather try to get the credits if we ask them for help?"
    The Grand Hall

"We ensure that you can trust money. That you keep believing in its worth. What we paid you, no matter the currency or material it is made of, its still worth something within the nexus despite it being made of of several completely different worlds. That, devotee, is nothing short of a true divine miracle wouldn't you agree? The miracle of our church." The voice replies. "Money is a divine gift that keeps all of civilization together and we serve it."
    The Grand Hall

"Wow, that's..." he stops and thinks about it. In a way the voice is right. taking in what Karl knows about the nexus so far. Trogs for example seems to take every currency no matter what.
    "..sounds resonable, maybe a bit to much, but the general idea of the currency in the worlds sounds fine. Does that mean your church has no personification? I mean like a god to ask for something or so."
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

"It should be enough," Amalungak says, deep in thought as he looks at the rat. "If it can be held here for long enough." He glances at Halae, not sure if she'll answer.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Ogre in the Playground

"I can hold it there for as long as we need. It can't leave the circle of power without destroying itself in the process," Halae says, standing up, "It's got the spirit of whatever possessed the rat inside it at the moment if that helps. I was just going to interrogate it, but if you've got some special tricks to work, feel free."

7. - Top - End - #427

Dena shrugs at Fade's first question. "We don't keep track on everyone being accused. My guess would be that they moved to Inside where everyone is at least ten times as weird. Would be pretty difficult to be racist there." She strokes her chin with her thumb as she seem to consider the second question. "You mean those golden dawn people? We're not going to go around killing rats if that's what you're asking. We're hired by Malechenar so we don't want them to think we have dual loyalties. Besides, running around playing rat-catcher is pretty much the opposite of keeping the peace as those things are everywhere. No, rather than handing in any rats you to to them you should just dispose of the bodies right away or send them to one of our mages so then can do magic stuff with them I guess." The gorgon nods. "To clarify, our allies are Malechenar and no one else. Though if you want to find out what those golden dawn people are up to I certainly won't stop you. For all we know they are doing some evil magic with the rats people are turning in."

Tarim shrugs. "Feel free, indeed. I only kill these wretches. I can't look into them like you apparently can. But if the rat don't work out, perhaps you can take a look at the spy we found. Will likely be more enlightening."

The Grand Hall

"Indeed, devotee. We do not worship any personified 'god'. We do not believe persons, no matter how transcended they might claim to be, are worthy of worship. We are all intelligent beings and should thus be treated as equals to one another. Instead, it's the system that holds us all together that should be considered divine." But as the voice pause, there seems to be some commotion going on outside the booth.
    He can hear a shout and then what sounds like a loud slam. "Sounds like our time might be coming to an end, devotee. Things are afoot."
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-08-27 at 04:59 AM.

8. - Top - End - #428
    Titan in the Playground

Amalungak nods, then reaches into his satchel. He produces a white cloth that he wraps around his eyes, as well as a small pouch of something. He begins to chant in a low, guttural voice, the words bleeding and blending into one another. Eventually, he opens the pouch and throws a handful of blood-red dust into the air. The dust swirls and twists into strange shapes that look almost alive. He keeps throwing the dust in handfuls, without interrupting his chant, and it turns into a swirling, intricate pattern around him. Then the dust suddenly stops and bursts into smokeless flame, disappearing, as Amalungak's eyes behind the blindfold glow red.

When the mystic looks at the rat, he will see a web of connections around it. Who or what it serves, who or what it fears, where it came from. I will be a confused, jumbled mess of lines, images and sounds, but Amalungak trusts he will be able to sort through it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

9. - Top - End - #429

Once Amalungak has performed the ritual and stares at the rat he will learn that it in fact has been dead for a long time, even before Tarim "killed" it. It has spent its entire life in Riverside being an ordinary rat until one day when it was play-fighting with its family and was suddenly without provocation jumped by a unknown group of rats. It fought valiantly to protect its family but eventually succumbed to the other rats that seemed able to go on regardless of injury.
    But it would not join its family even in death. Instead something sized control of its spirit at the moment of its departure and reassembled it in a new way before reanimating the once dead rat with it. Since then it has been a slave to-

The rat suddenly let's out a loud painful squeak and will unless Halae or Amalungak can stop it, melt into a pile of gore and viscera. Indeed, the two might be able to tell that its spirit did what its counterpart just did and essentially burst at the seams and break down into its smallest components, leaving little behind. It was as if something or someone pulled away the load bearing pillar, causing the rats very being to collapse in on itself.

Tarim blinks as he watches the rat melt. "What just happened?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-08-27 at 04:47 AM.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

"That was the metaphorical assassin killing the informant before he can give away too much," Halae says, kneeling down to take a better look at the pile of bones and gore, searching for anything obviously out of the ordinary (well, aside from a melted rat corpse, that's pretty weird), "Which means, of course, we're on the right track, but also that these spirits have a built-in safeties to prevent people from gaining too much from them. It also means we're seen as a threat, and that's always encouraging. Amalungak, what did you find out?"

11. - Top - End - #431

Dena shrugs at Fade's first question. "We don't keep track on everyone being accused. My guess would be that they moved to Inside where everyone is at least ten times as weird. Would be pretty difficult to be racist there." She strokes her chin with her thumb as she seem to consider the second question. "You mean those golden dawn people? We're not going to go around killing rats if that's what you're asking. We're hired by Malechenar so we don't want them to think we have dual loyalties. Besides, running around playing rat-catcher is pretty much the opposite of keeping the peace as those things are everywhere. No, rather than handing in any rats you to to them you should just dispose of the bodies right away or send them to one of our mages so then can do magic stuff with them I guess." The gorgon nods. "To clarify, our allies are Malechenar and no one else. Though if you want to find out what those golden dawn people are up to I certainly won't stop you. For all we know they are doing some evil magic with the rats people are turning in."

Tarim shrugs. "Feel free, indeed. I only kill these wretches. I can't look into them like you apparently can. But if the rat don't work out, perhaps you can take a look at the spy we found. Will likely be more enlightening."

The Grand Hall

"Indeed, devotee. We do not worship any personified 'god'. We do not believe persons, no matter how transcended they might claim to be, are worthy of worship. We are all intelligent beings and should thus be treated as equals to one another. Instead, it's the system that holds us all together that should be considered divine." But as the voice pause, there seems to be some commotion going on outside the booth.
    He can hear a shout and then what sounds like a loud slam. "Sounds like our time might be coming to an end, devotee. Things are afoot."

So these people didn't camp nearby to sit and wait until things are solved. In that case they migth not be directly involved. At least not as much to look after them for now.

"I didn't intend to hunt rats for them. I was more curious how I should treat them in case they cross my path. Should I find any evidence that they are involved in this plaot I will certainly investigate them futher. As you might expect from a MERC member." Fade says.
    "That is all I wanted to ask." he then turns to Holly befor she leaves. "Please contact me if you found something of intresst. I will do the same."

Then he turns away to the wall he came from, unless stoped. A shadow gate opens up and swallows the man followed by something dark sliding out of the room with a remarkable speed.

The Grand Hall

Karl now appears extremly confused. This whole thing sounds good, but a bit TOO good. This sounds more like a cult or so and it throws a lot of questions like: Someone invented currency and/or the system. Shouldn't those count as devine for doing the divine things? And doesn't a person stand on top of the System controlling it wth men? Karl was never a political man and religion was one thing he never got a hang with. Maybe it's because people in his world are able to summon beeings that count in others as God.

His thoughts got interupted by the noise from outside. "What was that?" he says out loud and heads for the exit of this booth to look after it.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Amalungak takes off the blindfold, the glow in his eyes fading. He blinks a few times before speaking.

"The rat was attacked and killed by another group of rats when it was alive. The other rats seemed to ignore all injury," he recounts. "Then its spirit was pulled back from death, reassembled and put back in its former body. But just as I was about to see who or what controlled the resulting creature... this happened. Either a fail-safe, or the person responsible saw it. Then again, if they were able to do it at any time, they would have done so earlier."

13. - Top - End - #433

The Grand Hall

There is no response from the voice this time, but as Karl exits the booth he can see that someone has dropped a large bag on the floor nearby and dozens of rats are pouring through it, running for the doors to escape the grand hall. The rat hunters that were standing in line are trying to catch them while the floating suits of armor are trying to keep complete chaos from breaking out as some of the catchers are fighting among one another to get the fleeing rats.

"But still no clue where this person is located? Hmph. So what else would you suggest then other than starting to look in the most likely locations? I command a lot of man-power right here." He gestures at the gathered crowd around them. "We just need some kind of clue and then we can start looking. Assuming they're hiding in the city of course."

"Sure, I'll report anything I find. Just make sure to not cause any trouble. Remember, the keyword of MERC is discreet, unless of course it isn't." Dena smiles and gives a little wave of good bye before Fade disappears. Then she goes to check on those rat files she had been meaning to read...

14. - Top - End - #434
    Orc in the Playground

KABAL Rat Hunting

"Hey, this isn't a gang war! We're just here to kill rats and make money. Those big chaps are the ones that are in a gang! We're independent contractors." Meaning villains-for-hire, rather than actual KABAL members- though they might join after. Flicker is just splashed, though as her teleportation cancels momentum she's tricky to overbalance.

Spewer, meanwhile, falls over. "Everywhere we go, there's vigilantes. At least this one's got a stylish costume, not the contents of a tailor's rubbish bin." He'll stay lying on the ground, however. She's close enough she could knock him over again quite easily, and lying down doesn't actually prevent him using his power.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ogre in the Playground

"They should be," Halae says, "The other cities aren't suffering from this, suggesting that the creatures behind this don't have unlimited range. With the results of the recent invasion, parts of the city are still destroyed... there's two most likely places for this monster to be hiding; either under the part of the city that wasn't damaged in the attack, where reconstruction efforts will miss the creeping danger underneath it, or in the worst of the destroyed locations, where people aren't likely to clear them out soon enough to reveal its presence."

"Given they're using rats rather than birds, that suggests being underground. I wonder if we can get a map of the city's sewer system..."

16. - Top - End - #436

The Grand Hall

There is no response from the voice this time, but as Karl exits the booth he can see that someone has dropped a large bag on the floor nearby and dozens of rats are pouring through it, running for the doors to escape the grand hall. The rat hunters that were standing in line are trying to catch them while the floating suits of armor are trying to keep complete chaos from breaking out as some of the catchers are fighting among one another to get the fleeing rats.

"But still no clue where this person is located? Hmph. So what else would you suggest then other than starting to look in the most likely locations? I command a lot of man-power right here." He gestures at the gathered crowd around them. "We just need some kind of clue and then we can start looking. Assuming they're hiding in the city of course."

"Sure, I'll report anything I find. Just make sure to not cause any trouble. Remember, the keyword of MERC is discreet, unless of course it isn't." Dena smiles and gives a little wave of good bye before Fade disappears. Then she goes to check on those rat files she had been meaning to read...

In one of the darker allys where none is, Fade steps out of a shadow. He didn't appeared here just to avoid beeing seen stepping out of a shadow. Dark allys normaly proofe to be a hiding spots for rats, humanoid or animal. He will go and try to search for the rats. At best a swarm so the chances are higher. He assumes that if there is something magical on them it is easier to take note the more rats are in one place. Should he find what he searches for, then he will observe the rats using the magical sight to see if there are any strings of magic.

The Grand Hall

Karl looks at the scene and one thing rises his intresst. Why would anyone bring a full bag of living rats instead of dead? I mean they pay for dead, so either this is an attack in some sort or maybe the rats reanimate themself in a way. He shivers by that tought.
    But problems at hand , what to do? Well his options are limited. Burning all alive migth be not welcome here as near everywhere and the other summons are just to single target to deal with the rats. So he prepares a summon. He keeps it down in case the guards and hunter don't break out in a chaos, but if there is no sign of deescalation he will go on and Summon Shiva. Shiva is an ice element in the form of an attractive woman. The ground around her should immediatly freez and rats that come nearby should also freez.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

[KABAL Rat Hunting]

The trolls are all too out of their mind to register the woman and both of them are knocked prone by the splashes of water, which also manage to wash off the yellow substance. They appear to be completely out of it for now. Though the other two trolls are still fleeing with their arms flailing about, quickly disappearing down the street.

People inside the restaurants have started to notice what is going on now and are looking out the windows with curiosity and concern. A young human boy with pointed canines tugs his fathers sleeve and gestures at woman that suddenly appeared. "It's Archera!" He exclaims in wonder and several of the other patrons seem to recognize both the name and her imposing figure.
    Her mere presence seems to be enough to make turn their concern into wonder. What was once a dangerous brawl had turned into a spectacle where they were the spectators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    KABAL Rat Hunting

"Hey, this isn't a gang war! We're just here to kill rats and make money. Those big chaps are the ones that are in a gang! We're independent contractors." Meaning villains-for-hire, rather than actual KABAL members- though they might join after. Flicker is just splashed, though as her teleportation cancels momentum she's tricky to overbalance.

Spewer, meanwhile, falls over. "Everywhere we go, there's vigilantes. At least this one's got a stylish costume, not the contents of a tailor's rubbish bin." He'll stay lying on the ground, however. She's close enough she could knock him over again quite easily, and lying down doesn't actually prevent him using his power.
    [KABAL Rat Hunting]

"If that's the case, you won't have a problem walking away right now. Otherwise I'll drag you to the city limits and yo7u can take your chances in the woods." Wildside is not the most friendly of environments. Archera will give them this chance, but her patience is short. The city is hectic right now.

18. - Top - End - #438

[KABAL Rat Hunting]

The trolls are slowly getting up but they still appear dazed after being hit by the goo and then being thrown prone by the water.
    The civilians have the sense to stay out of the conflict but it would seem the rats don't as a whole swarm of them comes running out of a alley. The quickly scatter into smaller groups, each one heading for a different restaurant.
    The rats seem to shock people more than the villains-for-hire are doing but Archera's presence still keep them calm for now.

The Grand Hall

Shiva can easily freeze the rats she come across but they're moving quite fast and as the rat catchers are running right after them it might be difficult to not freeze them as well. They're smart enough to avoid her but if she comes in from behind they won't be able to dodge.
    As the rats start to swarm out the grand hall's doors, the floating suits of armor standing guard start to close them to keep the rest from escaping. He will have to choose if he and Shiva should be inside, outside or one at each.

[Tracking Rats - Fade]

The few rats which are hiding in the darkness away from people around the city actually appear to be normal rats without any magic influencing them.
    But the larger swarms that Fade is looking for do seem to be magical in some way. Though how much he will be able to tell about this depends on how his magic sense actually works. For now, he can tell that the larger swarms seem to be attracted to filthy locations which in itself isn't unusual. Just that they seem to be going for them for more than just food.

19. - Top - End - #439

[Tracking Rats - MERCquest - Eastside government building - Holly/Martinez]

Ms. Martinez groans.

Ugh.

She should have known nothing would have come out of this, just a bunch of rumors and useless information. All these sightings of demons are probably a mistake combined with fear. Goat-people, regular demonic or devilish citizens, shadows on the wall, someone who got too drunk, someone with PTSD recovering from the demonic assault, false accusations, hysteria, whatever. It could be anything, which makes the information useless.

As she thinks through what she's been reading (and as she takes a break from the computer), she toys with the glove on her right hand. In this disguise, she's got two gloves on, but it's the one on the right that's on her mind. When is she going to finally take care of that? But, anyway, back to the rats.

Horned, hooved, pied piper with strangely colored eyes?
    That's definitely something to look into...or, at least it would be but it was exactly two weeks ago that she entered. The rat problem started just over two weeks ago. So there's a decent chance she has nothing to do with it and just was in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

However, with no other lead, Ms Martinez starts looking for other information related to that horned- hoofed- eyed- rat-escort. Almost guaranteed she has nothing to do with any of this, but it's likely she'll know more. After all, if she's she's this visually suspicious, lots of people have probably already accused her and so she would have looked into it in an effort to clear her name.
    She writes down all she can find but leaves the interns continuing to do whatever her assistant says, just in case something or some weird patterns come up in the future.

After several more hours of mind-numbing work, much later in the day she'll go back out and return to being Holly the Half-Elf, in an effort to track down this totally-suspicious-but-also-completely-innocent horny rat escort.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

"I agree," Amalungak says. "In addition, managing such a number of creatures can't be easy. It's not likely that someone could do so from a distance. Possible, but it would surprise me. Another possibility would be to find rats that are untouched by this curse, if any still remain. We could catch the perpetrator in the act, as it were."

21. - Top - End - #441

[Tracking Rats - Holly/Martinez]

That's a interesting way of putting it.
    She won't have much luck though as besides a report of this woman entering the city no one has reported her anywhere else as far as she can find. This is odd as pretty much anyone with her characteristics, and in the company of rats no less, would likely have been reported at least once again. Yet there is nothing here. No sightings of her at all ever since the day she entered the city.

Either she must have left in the middle of the night or she must be staying extremely low profile for whatever reason.

But as Martinez/Holly did observe, the time-line does not quite match. The reports of rat incidents started a few days before she was seen entering the city. Not that it would necessarily make it impossible for her to have something to do with it.

"Then we'll focus on the sewers as I planned." Tarim remarks, just as he had originally planned. "The ruins would make a poor hiding spot since those aren't going to be around forever. You outsiders might not realize, but while the dark ones broke this city's buildings, they never broke its spirit. We're rebuilding faster than you might think." He pauses. "But if we find rats, how would we even tell they're not 'infected' by this thing? Infected or not, they're gonna run. These 'rat-catchers' made sure of that. They've been killing them in droves without even a thought of what might be directing them. I suspect any uninfected rat might have been killed by them at this point really." He grunts in frustration. "Rats are not worthy foes, the evil behind them is."

22. - Top - End - #442
    Orc in the Playground

KABAL Rat Hunting

Flicker points at one of the nearby hordes of rats. "Really? 'Cos it looks to me like you need all the help you can get. But no! Those green idiots had to be all elitist and say how they were good enough to keep this district clear. Looks like they're doing a fii-iine job, to me." Flicker doesn't do anything about the rats, though. She's been told to move out of this neighbourhood, so she's going to go... Once she's zipped over to Spewer and helped him stand up. She does, once Spewer is standing back on his feet, open her shotgun and replace the shell she'd fired with another birdshot round.

They'll leave quite slowly, so either the trolls or Archera can call them back. Or not, and they'll find somewhere they can hunt rats undisturbed. It's a big city, after all; maybe a lower-end residential area needs someone to deal with the rats. They're hardly likely to be able to hire MERC there.

23. - Top - End - #443

The Grand Hal - Insidel

As Shiva appears she turns to Karl.

"Hello Boy." her luring voice rings through the air. Some of the hunters migth get a bit charmes by the ice elemental, especially since she doesn't hide much with her icy clothing.

"Hey Shiva." Karl replies cold. "Gotta do something for me." He points at the rats. "Can you freez them up, but not freez all the other guys inside?"

"Is that really nessesary?" she asks. "I could safe you the trouble."

"Nop, I'm fine. Just do it please." Karl answers and steps a bit to the side.

Shiva sights. She is a bit annoyed that she can't charm him as she does with others. After he steps aside he holds her hands up channeling her icy powers into a ball of white and blue. Instead of throwing this ball at a direction she pushes it against the ground. There a wave will start only a few inches high freezing everything on it's patch. People might get stuck a t first but if they try they will get free. smaller creatures like the rats got a harder time since it's not only there feet that freez due to their size.

When the doors close karl will remain inside and so will Shiva.
    "Why is someone bringing in living rats?" Karl shouts out taking a look around just to see if anything else went on.

[Tracking Rats - Fade]

Fade's ability to see magic is basicly the same as in DnD. The more he focus on something the more he can tell about it. Mostly getting a hint of the strength and maybe see more then before. The shadow person who showed up in the office was the shadow of a mid level wizard. Someone fokused on buffs and more supporting spells then really doing damage. Still lending this ability doesn't give him the full insight in generall magic. He will have a hard time telling what kind of magic get's used unless he got an example.

Fade is confused as he finds out there is another purpose. or at least he assumes this. But without anything else he don't really want to report this back right now. It might just get them annoyed as usual when he talks with people. So less talk more walk. That said he will try to find more ratswar spots. Maybe if he looks at different swarms he might see the simularits. That way he might be able to tell the reasonn the rats are here.

24. - Top - End - #444

The Grand Hal - Inside

The rats are frozen by Shiva which earns her angry stares by the catchers. "Hey! These are all my bounty! I caught them!" A human woman clad in KABAL colors shout as she tries to take the frozen rats and put them in a back she has tied to her belt.
    The other catchers are trying to do the same though. The fact that the rats are frozen just make them much easier targets.
    No one seem all that interested in answering Karl's question. They're all just focused on the rats.

[Tracking Rats - Fade]

From what he can tell, something is binding the rats to themselves. He can detect some kind of metaphysical link between these rats and something else. Furthermore, observing other swarms he can detect that the same link is present within them as well. Furthermore, this link is more than just a mental one. It empowers them, making them able to ignore otherwise life-threatening conditions. Yet despite that the rats are seemingly just as easy to kill as ordinary rats. Or so he can see when a rat-catcher comes by and manages to kill two of the rats with a shot gun before the others escape.

Even if the rats could have ignored the injures from the pellets and escaped they just choose not to for whatever reason.

If he observes the rats behavior he will notice something quite peculiar. While the rats do the same kind of things like ordinary rats do, eat, poop, etc. They do so in a manner that almost would suggest they're intentionally trying to make already filthy locations even filthier. All of them choosing to poop at exactly the same location, some of them even throwing up there for little to no reason.

Indeed, as he is observing them he can suddenly see the swarm turning upon one of their own, tearing them apart like a pack of vicious lions with their teeth. Then they spread the dead rats remains all over the place which is quite unusual.

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

[KABAL Rat Hunting]

Archera has no intention of stopping them. She watched the rats go by, and then waits for the others to start moving away. Stopping them from fighting in the streets is enough for her, but now there's the other issue...

Realizing she's causing a bit of a ruckus, Archera gets moving. She heads into the alley the rats came from and looks around. She's not yet sure if that's even a remarkably size group of them, but that many had to come from somewhere, right?

26. - Top - End - #446

[KABAL Rat Hunting]

People start to panic as the large rat horde enters the establishments. The rats, being rats, don't really attack anyone but their sheer numbers and smell is enough for people to start getting out of the restaurants.
    The troll ring leader curses loudly. "You must find'a Tanu and Iwi." He snarls at the other troll who still appear to be recovering. "I call the rest. Emergency!" He takes up what seems to be a communicator and puts it to his long ear. Then he gives the retreating villains the finger.

And for the record, these trolls are blue.

As for Archera she finds that the alley goes out to the river Syde. It isn't immediately obvious where the rats came from but then she notices an archway facing the river which might lead to the realization that its in fact a sewer entrance. The rats must have somehow climbed out of it, a process which would have taken quite some time for such a large group. So the rats must have waited for the entire swarm to be here before continuing towards the restaurants. Quite peculiar behavior.

The entrance is fairly large but barred with steel bars which are sadly too far apart to have been able to stop the rats.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post

"I agree," Amalungak says. "In addition, managing such a number of creatures can't be easy. It's not likely that someone could do so from a distance. Possible, but it would surprise me. Another possibility would be to find rats that are untouched by this curse, if any still remain. We could catch the perpetrator in the act, as it were."

"Then we'll focus on the sewers as I planned." Tarim remarks, just as he had originally planned. "The ruins would make a poor hiding spot since those aren't going to be around forever. You outsiders might not realize, but while the dark ones broke this city's buildings, they never broke its spirit. We're rebuilding faster than you might think." He pauses. "But if we find rats, how would we even tell they're not 'infected' by this thing? Infected or not, they're gonna run. These 'rat-catchers' made sure of that. They've been killing them in droves without even a thought of what might be directing them. I suspect any uninfected rat might have been killed by them at this point really." He grunts in frustration. "Rats are not worthy foes, the evil behind them is."
    [Track Rats - The Ruins of Light's Hearth]

"Might not be so easy," Halae says, crossing her arms, "Rat souls aren't very complex things, but the fact that this creature is twisting souls into unnatural shapes in the first place is worrying. I'm very likely immune to that kind of tampering," Exaltation is like that sometimes, "But can you say the same for your followers? I've no doubt you'd be able to fight them if they got twisted against you, but what are they capable of? Killing friends and family?"

The exalt shifts her weight from one foot to the other, the plates of her armor clicking against each other, "This seems to me like a job for a small group of powerful people that can protect themselves from tampering influences, not a mob, regardless of how righteous their fury is."
    Last edited by Halae; 2019-08-30 at 04:11 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

"I know a ritual that has the ability to summon vermin and carrion-eaters to me," Amalungak says. As if not to give them a chance to think about why he knows such magic of all things, he continues. "If there are unaffected rats still in the city, it should bring them out. I rather doubt the possessed ones will be affected by such rudimentary witchcraft. I know that we're up against someone or something powerful and twisted, but I am willing to take that risk. And I do agree that the common citizenry can likely do little."

29. - Top - End - #449
    Orc in the Playground

KABAL Rat Hunting

Once they hear the trolls on their communicators calling for reinforcements (likely against the rats, not them; but better safe than sorry), Flicker and Spewer also decide to speed up, and duck down an alleyway. Not the same alley as Archera; that'd be a little poorly planned, but one that likely also leads to the same embankment area as the one where they can see the local vigilante. Spewer will hang back, but Flicker will zip forward to try and see what Archera's up to. Flicker's teleportation isn't quite soundless, though it's less noisy than walking or running, so the superhero may hear the villain's approach.

30. - Top - End - #450

"Hmph, don't underestimate the common citizen. If the dark ones could control people, I'm pretty sure they would have done so already." He pauses as if considering what if for a moment before shaking his horned head. "But fine, my plan was to have the majority cover all larger sewer exits anyway."

He turns to Amalungak and raises his hand dismissively. "We're trying anything at this point, but just one thing at the time." The servant gestures at Halae. "You who haven't shared your name yet, are we going to do the rat attracting spell first?"