New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 20: Another day, another disaster

[White Rose Health Clinic]

"Well, I'd hope I'm good, I've got about... I dunno, about ten years of experience at it by now?" Caelynn responds as she leads the angel through the lobby. It's quite modest, with a nice couch, a couple of chairs and a basic reception desk - her new companion is clearly working at rather small scale here. There's only a few adjoining rooms in the hallway Ithuriel is led down next, most of them empty.

"I got my medical degree while I was away and spent a few years running a medical clinic. Figured this place would be the best to set up shop, considering people probably needed a doctor after then-recent events," the catgirl explains as they turn into the last room of the hall. Turning on the lights reveals a fairly basic space with cabinets lining one wall, a simple monitor placed on the integrated counter with some basic checkup instruments neatly arranged beside it. "Please, have a seat," she offers, gesturing to the nearby examination table. It looks fairly comfortable, at least for its kind.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

2. - Top - End - #722
    Halfling in the Playground

Ithuriel continues to look confused by a lot of this.

Ithuriel has a seat.

Ten years sounds like more than enough for you to count yourself as a professional." There's a little bit of fidgeting as she sits down, this whole situation felt very surreal.

But then, she hadn't really talked about this much. Hell, she hadn't even told Michalson, and she trusted him to have her back every day on the job.

"Yeah, I heard a lot about what happened in Riverside. I regret I wasn't in a position to help out more at the time."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

3. - Top - End - #723

White Rose Health Clinic

"Well, yes, but my clientele back then weren't nearly as varied as the folks around here," Caelynn responds, modestly trying to downplay her aptitude. "Mostly only humans, albeit with some genetic modifications every so often."

The woman turns to look at Ithuriel, leaning against the counter. "So, what's wrong? I'm here to help with whatever's bothering you - no judgement, no drama," she assures, raising a hand as if she were taking an oath with a reassuring smile.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2020-01-04 at 04:48 PM.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

4. - Top - End - #724

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Tracking Rats - Ruby and Fade]

The web is strong. It's difficult to cut even with the sharpest of swords as it only seem to bend and shake with each swing or struggle. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like the creature is seeing Fade. It only have it's two plate-sized eyes focused on Ruby. It backs away slightly as the more she seem to struggle with the web the stronger it pulls against her. It's waiting now they might realize. Waiting for her to become completely immobolized by the webbing.

Now having more than just a few seconds to look at it. They can see that the beak is not a birds or anything that belongs in the air. This is the beak of a squid and it also has one's eyes. It's legs that first appeared to be of a spiders now seem more like a mix between ones and a squids. They're hairless and spongey, far too thick to be spiderlegs even if they have their shape and form.
    They can hear more scittering and can see another of the creatures emerge from within the cave they were entering. It's also keeping away from Ruby until she seem to be unable to struggle.

((I'll post for Karl in my next post...))
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post

Yep. There was definitely something wrong about this, and the fact that her foot is now stuck confirms it.
    Ruby draws her gun (a sort of sci-fi blaster rifle), and starts to turn just in time for the chameleon-spider-bird to throw its web, sticking the whole right side of her to the cavern floor. So much for shooting anything.

She tries the obvious thing of struggling against the web, trying to pull free. She's pretty strong, but not impossibly strong. Anything that expects to catch humanoids in its webs probably has strong enough webs to hold even the toughest ones, right?

This web seems to be more of a problem then he first thought it will be. The fact that the web is more sticky so a sword can't cut it makes his last attemp to get free really useless. Thought those things are really strange creatures themself. Even if they didn't notice him yet it is just a matter of time until they do. Since he can't turn into a shadow to get the web of he will get stuck at some point. He looks at Ruby, waiting for her to look at him, if so he puts his other hand at his mouth as a fist then putting it awa and opening it like soething spreadding from his mouth. Then he points at the web, hoping Ruby can get the clue.
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

5. - Top - End - #725

"Well, uh, for some reason I let some lady I barely know drag me out of Trog's and off to her health clinic. Pretty sure anyone in their right mind would've scheduled an appointment or something, right?" She laughs. Awkwardly. Not funny, Ithuriel. "Look, it was an absolute mess, right? Someone in my line of work isn't cut out to have a kid anyway. It's just so much worse when- you know, if I'd known beforehand, I could've been more careful. Or something."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #726

[Descending into Darkness - Archera & KABAL]

After a while what at first seem to be a human peeks out from behind the corner. But as she and a few others slowly approach, it turns out they're carrying some heavy rat-like mutations. They're not skaven or any kind of rat-people, instead they appear to be some kind of mutant. Their clothes makes them appear like beggars and homeless, though not even a person begging on the street would wear something that have been tattered like that by unusual rat-growths such as a second tiny rat-head, a tail, malformed hands that now look like rat-claws and details they're likely are thankful are covered up by that ragged clothing.

This small group, four people to be exact (some that Achera might recall are homeless people that have been declared "missing" by her homless-related source of information) approaches and will grab the weapons they placed on the ground. Two of them are aiming shotguns in their direction though and it does seem like the others are armed as well. Though just with hand-guns.

"I'm not ****ing burglar you moron. Would a burglar dress in a ****ing armor like this? I don't even have anywhere to keep the loot." Not-Irena swears. "We should... I dunno, not involve MERC. If we can't go down there then MERC as sure as hell shouldn't. Maybe once they come back. We got no clue what's going down there until then so we shouldn't do anything expect maybe retreat."

[Tracking Rats - Amalungak, Tarim & MERC]

Tarim shrugs and follows along with Amalungak. The MERC members are a bit more hesitant about walking that close to a pit fiend, but they eventually come along too. They're just making sure to keep themselves behind Tarim.

The septic tank, or more accurately holding tank, first appears to be covered in a layer of dark brown liquid which then as it turns out is in fact an enormous swarm of rats which are all just sitting there unmoving. Seemingly waiting for them. Though as soon as they see the rats they see them and starts to move up to the other end of the tank. As it turns out, there is a slope created by century-old dried up sewage the rats are using to climb up to the other side. As the rats move away they can see that the entire tank is covered in a thick layer of this stuff.
    On the other side of the tank is a passage which seem to split up in two directions. Forward and right.

The rats, once they managed to climb out of the tank, are taking the right passage but they can see that a couple of them are staying in the passage leading forward. Simply observing the other rats as they run by.

[Tracking Rats - Karl]

Karl will find the building just as described. It's a big factory that's long been abandoned sorrunded by a tall fence. It wouldn't be impossible to climb over though, especially not with powers such as his. The front door is closed though all the windows appear to be completely shattered with just shards of glass remaining within the frames.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-01-07 at 08:55 AM.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Firbolg in the Playground

The web is strong. It's difficult to cut even with the sharpest of swords as it only seem to bend and shake with each swing or struggle. Thankfully, it doesn't seem like the creature is seeing Fade. It only have it's two plate-sized eyes focused on Ruby. It backs away slightly as the more she seem to struggle with the web the stronger it pulls against her. It's waiting now they might realize. Waiting for her to become completely immobolized by the webbing.

Now having more than just a few seconds to look at it. They can see that the beak is not a birds or anything that belongs in the air. This is the beak of a squid and it also has one's eyes. It's legs that first appeared to be of a spiders now seem more like a mix between ones and a squids. They're hairless and spongey, far too thick to be spiderlegs even if they have their shape and form.
    They can hear more scittering and can see another of the creatures emerge from within the cave they were entering. It's also keeping away from Ruby until she seem to be unable to struggle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    This web seems to be more of a problem then he first thought it will be. The fact that the web is more sticky so a sword can't cut it makes his last attemp to get free really useless. Thought those things are really strange creatures themself. Even if they didn't notice him yet it is just a matter of time until they do. Since he can't turn into a shadow to get the web off he will get stuck at some point. He looks at Ruby, waiting for her to look at him, if so he puts his other hand at his mouth as a fist then putting it awa and opening it like soething spreadding from his mouth. Then he points at the web, hoping Ruby can get the clue.
    Ruby was really hoping that Fade would be able to, well, fade out of the webs with his shadow stuff.

She stops her struggling before she gets too deeply entangled, drawing in a deep breath. You know, these things don't look nearly as awful as actual spiders. No weird hairs, no giant fangs, no extra eyes. But they're still a weird combination. The General would love them.
    Then she makes an effort, and exhales flame, an inferno washing over the webs that hold her and the second spider-squid that just emerged from the cave.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #728
    Orc in the Playground

Descending Into Darkness- Archera & KABAL

Flicker's got her back turned; she can't see the approaching figures. She's still got her hands in the air, though.

"Not a burglar? I guess you're a sewage maintenance operative, then. They're known for going down the sewers, but usually they were really bright waterproof clothing and gas masks. And they don't mind getting the cops involved. You might have stashed your haul somewhere, for all I know. Or you could be an assassin. And I'm not going anywhere until and unless I know that Flicker's OK." Spewer crosses his arms. He doesn't trust the person he finds himself with; she's wearing dark clothing and a mask, and she's got some kind of shadow powers. That's either a burglar or an assassin, and he really doesn't want her to be the latter.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #729

[Tracking Rats - Amalungak, Tarim, and MERC]

Holly steps farther in so the others don't run into her.
    She looks up at the tank and the rats.
    "This is...weird," she says.

She circles around the tank to look down the two other directions.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #730

It may not be the best joke, but Caelynn still gives it the courtesy of an amused smile. "What line of work in particular, if I may ask? Intersection?" She's no trained psychologist, but the woman had learned enough from being a general practitioner on how to approach sensitive subjects like these. Confronting them on the matter did no good, you had to kinda guide them into it.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

After a while what at first seem to be a human peeks out from behind the corner. But as she and a few others slowly approach, it turns out they're carrying some heavy rat-like mutations. They're not skaven or any kind of rat-people, instead they appear to be some kind of mutant. Their clothes makes them appear like beggars and homeless, though not even a person begging on the street would wear something that have been tattered like that by unusual rat-growths such as a second tiny rat-head, a tail, malformed hands that now look like rat-claws and details they're likely are thankful are covered up by that ragged clothing.

This small group, four people to be exact (some that Achera might recall are homeless people that have been declared "missing" by her homless-related source of information) approaches and will grab the weapons they placed on the ground. Two of them are aiming shotguns in their direction though and it does seem like the others are armed as well. Though just with hand-guns.

"I'm not ****ing burglar you moron. Would a burglar dress in a ****ing armor like this? I don't even have anywhere to keep the loot." Not-Irena swears. "We should... I dunno, not involve MERC. If we can't go down there then MERC as sure as hell shouldn't. Maybe once they come back. We got no clue what's going down there until then so we shouldn't do anything expect maybe retreat."
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post

Flicker's got her back turned; she can't see the approaching figures. She's still got her hands in the air, though.

"Not a burglar? I guess you're a sewage maintenance operative, then. They're known for going down the sewers, but usually they were really bright waterproof clothing and gas masks. And they don't mind getting the cops involved. You might have stashed your haul somewhere, for all I know. Or you could be an assassin. And I'm not going anywhere until and unless I know that Flicker's OK." Spewer crosses his arms. He doesn't trust the person he finds himself with; she's wearing dark clothing and a mask, and she's got some kind of shadow powers. That's either a burglar or an assassin, and he really doesn't want her to be the latter.

Archera stands firm, looking over them with a careful eye. "So am I safe assuming you know about all the rats?" She asks flatly. Maybe she can get them talking in some fashion.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Barbarian in the Playground

[A Totally Normal Chapel Not Filled With Deranged Cultists]

The building is actually pretty big.

One of those large, modern, mega church sorts of buildings. It was already in disrepair when the demon attack swept through Riverside, which really didn't do the building any favors. Mostly it's just been used as shelter by squatters and transients, all the copper wire ripped out of the walls to be hawked for cash. Normally something like this would just be an eye-sore until it gets demolished and replaced with something else. A patch of urban blight, but nothing terribly nefarious.

But then it went and grew malignant.

It started with a homeless woman sleeping in there. Said she had been visited by an angel in the night and when she awoke she descended into the bowls of the decrepit building and found something indescribably sublime. Carrying the word of a Saint, she began to evangelize her destitute peers. From there the word spread. On its surface it just seemed like another movement among the unwashed masses at first, but then members of more well to do families started vanishing.

Vanishing only to be found in the company of this burgeoning cult. They would refuse to leave. When forcibly removed they would do everything in their power to return. Brain washing was suspected, but no strict proof could be found. By all accounts they had merely decided to devote themselves to this Hadarahel, the Saint of Perfect Beauty.

The compound is a wide two story building set out in a square and surrounded by a sizable parking lot pockmarked with craters and fissures. The east side of the building is all but a ruin, a jumbles mass of rubble and twisted steel where it had been hit by some rather destructive forces over the course of Riverside's various misfortunes. Effort has been taken to clean up the building's facade but it's an ongoing effort. Most of the windows have been boarded up, though a few have been replaced. There are two main entrances on each face of the building, though in turn each of the entrances has two cultists standing around outside for the purpose of 'greeting' anyone coming in. The ruined east side could be used as an entrance, but it would be a bit hazardous. There's also a huge pyramid-shaped skylight on the roof of the building that has somehow managed to remain intact despite all odds.

The cultists outside don't appear to be armed, just disheveled people who look like they've managed to grasp hope for once in their miserable lives.

A large sign sits on the barren, weed-pocked lawn of the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Sign
    The Chapel of Hadarahel
    Seek Perfect Beauty in a world of ugliness and ruin
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

13. - Top - End - #733

"Yeah. Yeah, just meant to be nice, simple, safe policing." Ithuriel rubs her forehead. "I know, I know. Stupid to call police work safe, ever. But it was meant to be something of a step down from other stuff I've done. It's the sort of thing I'm good at, but I figured less likely to result in me dying a third time than other alternatives."

Mentioning you've died twice is a pretty casual thing to just throw out there like that.

"And not an ideal line of work for someone who wanted to have kids, but I didn't know I could, and my body has strong regenerative properties so I ought to be able to protect-" She sighs. "Doesn't work against everything. But nothing I expected to encounter on the force."

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

From over the horizon of a nearby skyscraper, an asteroid falls from the heavens. It rockets through the night sky, a trail of bright flames jetting out behind it. It grows closer, ever closer to the dilapidated chapel below before it becomes painfully clear that the building would be struck. Were someone somehow able to detect the asteroid before its fateful drop, they would have mere seconds to seek out cover.

Then, impact. The sound barrier is broken, and the skylight above shatters into thousands of shards.

A crater is formed upon the lowest floor of the building, and at its center, the 'asteroid' can be seen. Metal plates clink into place atop lower layers of material, sparks flying as the celestial body rises up, revealing itself as the hulking frame of what appears to be an enormous, futuristic suit of powered armor. Broad mechanical arms ending in bulky fists plated in layers upon layers of thick gray metal rise out from carbon-plate pauldrons, which in turn connect to a multi-layered metal chassis.

It is a monolith of metal.

As the figure lumbers forward, every step cracking tile beneath him, a hexagonal-patterened cloak of some strange material is drug behind him, cascading from his shoulders. With one large gauntlet, each metal finger as thick as a lesser being’s wrist, the armored figure retrieves a disconcertingly large double-barreled pistol from his belt, patiently lining up a shot before firing, releasing a cascade of deadly shotgun pellets towards the nearest living target.

Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-01-09 at 10:15 PM.

15. - Top - End - #735

"I mean, I certainly wouldn't argue that it's the most dangerous organization out there. Hell, I used to work for HALO, once upon a time." She doesn't seem too phased by the mention of multiple deaths - probably thanks to the way the Nexus used to be back when she originally lived there. "What sort of thing did you encounter that was so out of the ordinary for your usual work? Was it something with the fleshstealers, or...? Er, I'm not terribly well-acquainted with Inside's major events, I'm afraid."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

16. - Top - End - #736

[Tracking Rats - Karl]

Karl will find the building just as described. It's a big factory that's long been abandoned sorrunded by a tall fence. It wouldn't be impossible to climb over though, especially not with powers such as his. The front door is closed though all the windows appear to be completely shattered with just shards of glass remaining within the frames.
    [Tracking Rats - Karl]

Karl will stall around the building for once. Just to check up if there has been any entrance. After all there should be a way for the homeless to enter. After thaat he looks for a point where he can't get spotted easily and summons his skeleton friends. They are the easiest summon and can buld a leader with their shields to get him over the fence. He will unsummon them afterwards because it will be easier to summon them on this side thent o let them climb. Thought he wonders if they could just use their weapons to cut down the fence. Karl will then try to sneak up, bowing down a bit. his first target are the windows. Taaking a peak inside might help.

17. - Top - End - #737

Default [Southside Streets]

It's late at night and the stars are deep behind the full moon.
    They've been sleeping for quite some time. Not tonight.

Near the ruined churches and burnt-out chapels, abandoned long before the demon invasion, they walk.
    Where the enchanted streetlights fail to extend, they bring their own crackling light, embers left where the wolf's paws fall.

Who else is out here tonight? Someone to hunt? Something to incinerate?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #738

Wow okay guess subtle isn't on the menu today.

As it happens there were several cultists in the main chamber of the chapel at that very moment, no doubt carrying out some kind of nefarious ritual in the small hours of the morning. Not anymore, though. Those that weren't killed in the meteoric impact flee in terror, only to have one of their number shredded from behind by a shotgun blast. They don't appear to be armored at all, which really doesn't do them any favors when being blasted by a veritable hurricane of shot. They're all fleeing for cover, but there isn't much cover in the central auditorium. It's open and spacious, meant to house large crowds.

"Oh Saint preserve us!"
    "Oh gods oh gods oh gods."
    "Help! Help we're being attacked!"

And other such panicked cries fill the air.

As the rubble from his impact settles, the vigilante will get a better look at the surroundings.

While the outside of the building still looks like a ruin, the inside has been repaired significantly. It looks... quite beautiful, actually. Everything arranged in a fashion that's pleasing to the eye. Perhaps the most eerie result of the vigilante's arrival is the ruination he just brought has done nothing to make the surroundings less beautiful. The rubble, the shattered glass, the corpses in gentle repose, all of it somehow manages to come together like the strokes of a master's brush. Even the tiles cracking under his feet break in pleasant whorled patterns.

There is very obviously something deeply wrong going on here. Or maybe deeply right. Depending on who you ask.

Commotion arises from further into the building. Whatever had been going on here was a pretty minor event. Only a dozen people, at most. He'll probably have more company soon.

There are quite a few exits leading out of the two-story auditorium into other parts of the building, but they all fall into one of two categories. Out into the 'public' parts of the building or leading to the back-stage.

19. - Top - End - #739

[Tracking Rats - Karl]

There is a backdoor and it appears to be open. Here the fence seems to have been melted away by some acid, giving him and the skeletons an easy entry point should they take it.
    It's dark inside, but Karl might be able to spot something or someone moving if he takes a peek through the open door or the windows.
    From what he can tell there are old shelves inside, but not much else.

The four mutants seem to hesitate when Archera speaks. Their movements seem stilted, almost as if they were in pain and they wear this forlorn expression on their faces. Like they didn't want to be here or do this.
    "Run back now, get out of here. W-we're going to blow this tunnel up. Seal it. Then you'll never see us again." Their apparent leader promises as he gestures back into the tunnel from which Achera and Spewer came. "It's too late for us. Save yourself."
    There are of course rats here as well, sitting to the sides and watching the exchange between the two and the mutated group.

"Look dude, I don't care what you think and neither do I get why we're arguing this-" Not-Irena starts when they suddenly can hear movement outside the building. Near the backdoor they opened it sounds like a small group are walking outside.

Someone or something is approaching the building.

The second creature retreats back as the flames washes over the cavern floor and sets the web ablaze. It's strange skin immediately adapting to its sorrundings, turning it almost invisible once more.
    The first creature sees an opportunity with Ruby focusing on its partner though. Using it's foremost legs it grabs a large rock, displaying the fact it had succtioncups underneath them, lifts it into the air and attempts to throws it right at her lower back.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

[Tracking Rats - Amalungak, Tarim & MERC]

"Not all the rats are headed in the same direction," Amalungak observes. "Some are just... observing? Maybe the minds directing this are watching through them."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

21. - Top - End - #741
    Orc in the Playground

"How do you know it's too late? There's a guy I know, Professor Payne in Skyside. He's a whizz at biochemistry and mutagenic compounds. He might be able to help you guys. If... If you make it out of here, and go there, find Warehouse Eighty Nine and tell him you know Flicker. He'll help you then." And also hopefully reduce Flicker's debt for sending him strange biological samples.

She'll turn to Archera after that. "I can get out of here OK, probably. I'm quick. How heavy are you? It won't slow me down, so long as I can lift you." Her power specifically works on Flicker's body and everything she's carrying. And she's willing to leave her shotgun behind, as well.

Shunt moves to shush Not-Irena, before walking to the rear door. He wants to look at who's out there first, and what they're wearing.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

With a trained eye, the vigilante takes in his unusual surroundings, attempting to pierce the haze in order to identify any immediate threats. Nothing but corpses, although there were others on the way. Backup, perhaps? He would be prepared for it, no matter the... strangeness of the area.

In order to prepare for the impending attack, the vigilante reaches for a large shrapnel grenade at his belt before holding it close.

--

The second that the grouping of cultists comes into view, he'll pull the pin and launch it into the crowd, unleashing a storm of razor sharp scrap.

23. - Top - End - #743

The vigilante will be able to hear some panicked voices in the distance, but that quickly falls to a hushed whisper.

After all, the best way to deal with an active shooter is to flee and do your best to prevent them from finding you.

Leave the fighting back to...

Someone else.

"What do you seek here, friend?" comes a voice seemingly from everywhere at once, sweet as honey. It tugs at the mind and pulls at the heartstrings. There's an intense desire to let down one's guard and trust this... voice... implicitly.

Or maybe...

Something else.

No target reveals itself.

Yet.

24. - Top - End - #744

[Tracking Rats - Karl]

There is a backdoor and it appears to be open. Here the fence seems to have been melted away by some acid, giving him and the skeletons an easy entry point should they take it.
    It's dark inside, but Karl might be able to spot something or someone moving if he takes a peek through the open door or the windows.
    From what he can tell there are old shelves inside, but not much else.

The four mutants seem to hesitate when Archera speaks. Their movements seem stilted, almost as if they were in pain and they wear this forlorn expression on their faces. Like they didn't want to be here or do this.
    "Run back now, get out of here. W-we're going to blow this tunnel up. Seal it. Then you'll never see us again." Their apparent leader promises as he gestures back into the tunnel from which Achera and Spewer came. "It's too late for us. Save yourself."
    There are of course rats here as well, sitting to the sides and watching the exchange between the two and the mutated group.

"Look dude, I don't care what you think and neither do I get why we're arguing this-" Not-Irena starts when they suddenly can hear movement outside the building. Near the backdoor they opened it sounds like a small group are walking outside.

The second creature retreats back as the flames washes over the cavern floor and sets the web ablaze. It's strange skin immediately adapting to its sorrundings, turning it almost invisible once more.
    The first creature sees an opportunity with Ruby focusing on its partner though. Using it's foremost legs it grabs a large rock, displaying the fact it had succtioncups underneath them, lifts it into the air and attempts to throws it right at her lower back.
    [Tracking Rats - Karl]

With a way not to climb he will go for it. Thought the acid thing makes it rather dangerouse. he sneaks around his skeletont behind him. He tries using the shelves as cover to get a better look at the person inside. Maybe it is the thing that melted the fence, maybe it's just another homeless? Let's see.

The shadow under Fade will grow and he steps between the monster and ruby to catch the stone. his strength is far above what his size might suggest right now so he will just be pushed back. Should the stone not get caught in the web or maybe break since the forces are to strong he will throw it back at the monster.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post

"How do you know it's too late? There's a guy I know, Professor Payne in Skyside. He's a whizz at biochemistry and mutagenic compounds. He might be able to help you guys. If... If you make it out of here, and go there, find Warehouse Eighty Nine and tell him you know Flicker. He'll help you then." And also hopefully reduce Flicker's debt for sending him strange biological samples.

She'll turn to Archera after that. "I can get out of here OK, probably. I'm quick. How heavy are you? It won't slow me down, so long as I can lift you." Her power specifically works on Flicker's body and everything she's carrying. And she's willing to leave her shotgun behind, as well.

Shunt moves to shush Not-Irena, before walking to the rear door. He wants to look at who's out there first, and what they're wearing.

Archera holds her hand up to Flicker and shakes her head. She's not giving up that easy. "Why do you want to blow the tunnel up? Setting off that kind of explosion down here could seriously hurt people on the surface. Why don't you explain the situation to me and we can figure out another way." She explains calmly. She thinks her initial read on the situation is wrong, so hopefully her intuition is right now...

26. - Top - End - #746
    Ogre in the Playground

The vigilante pauses for just a second or so before shaking his head and muttering something.

--

Immediately, the suit will attempt to completely deaden any audio frequencies matching that particular voice. With a somewhat frustrated tone, he continues.

27. - Top - End - #747

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post

"I mean, I certainly wouldn't argue that it's the most dangerous organization out there. Hell, I used to work for HALO, once upon a time." She doesn't seem too phased by the mention of multiple deaths - probably thanks to the way the Nexus used to be back when she originally lived there. "What sort of thing did you encounter that was so out of the ordinary for your usual work? Was it something with the fleshstealers, or...? Er, I'm not terribly well-acquainted with Inside's major events, I'm afraid."

"S'a big place." Ithuriel grunts, fidgeting uncomfortably. "I forget all the details. I guess- it's hard to focus on what happened before, but there was an orphanage and we got called in, knew it was fleshstealers. But everything I did seemed to just be the wrong decision - there was a kid in there who was like some sort of death god, and he lost control of his powers. Made it very hard to save him from whatever ritual they were trying to use him for. So I decided to be the big brave hero and just tough it out."

Ithuriel rubs her head tiredly and slumps back, lying down and closing her eyes.

"Some things you can't just "tough it out". I could feel my body slowing and weakening. And when it couldn't protect itself, there was no way it could protect my child. It still hurts."

28. - Top - End - #748

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    The shadow under Fade will grow and he steps between the monster and ruby to catch the stone. his strength is far above what his size might suggest right now so he will just be pushed back. Should the stone not get caught in the web or maybe break since the forces are to strong he will throw it back at the monster.
    Ruby waits a moment for the webs to burn and then pulls herself out of the ashes, backing away from where the webs were.

There's no time to say so, but that was a good catch by Fade.

She fires her blaster-gun a few times in the general direction of the second squid-spider, not quite able to pick it out from the background.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #749

There's a soft, empathetic grimace that flickers across Caelynn's face as Ithuriel describes the event. "That feeling that you kept making the wrong decision couldn't have been helped by realizing what happened, could it?" She sympathizes, moving to place a hand on the angel's shoulder. "I feel like the fact that you kept trying to help even after things went so dire is something you should be proud of, rather than dwell on how you could've prevented it beforehand; I, uh... well, I'm not at liberty to relate anecdotes, but it seems that we forget what victories and good we have done in the face of guilt. Not that it's wrong to feel guilt or anger or disappointment in what happened - I mean, I can only imagine a portion of the pain losing a child must have felt like, and the grief you feel is something you should never feel wrong for feeling. But it was something that you couldn't of known would happen, right?"

Should Ithuriel open her eyes, she might see Caelynn purse her lip with a tinge of worry. The tentativeness is audible, but concealed a bit better than her expression manages. "Having something as terrible and unforeseen as that is... well, it's not something I've experienced, but... it's something someone very close to me has experienced, and... I understand it's a mess of feelings that are just so very hard to work out."
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

30. - Top - End - #750

"I-"

"I don't-"

Come on Ithuriel. You need to put some words together. Say something. Anything. She was clearly not expecting to deal with someone with your kind of issues.

Nope. No words coming out. Instead she gets up, and walks over to pick Caelynn up and pull her into a hug.