New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 20: Another day, another disaster

[Eventide Manor]

Kirk smiles knowingly, but leaves the accusations, both stated and implied, unaddressed. "I'd expect no less, truly. But let's be honest, Merc isn't like the rest of the riffraff. You know we do good work, and we've had a good relationship for months. I'm merely proposing that we reaffirm what we had before all this, and then we can do even more for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Sneaking Out

A brief silence hangs in the air, and Anastasia is about to agree with Eliseo that yeah, maybe this wasn't such a great idea, when he asks about her parents. It's a question he might regret - the topic brings tears to Anastasia's eyes, tail practically wilting down to the ground as she starts to cry.

"T-they're gone, I... the invasion happened, and- and they never came back." The kitsune chokes out, sniffling as she tries to calm her breathing. "Gods, I-I'm sorry, I - for - for breaking down like this." She finally continues after a couple of moments, wiping her sleeve across her face. "It- it's not your problem, I shouldn't be bothering you with it." Great, not only did she spill the beans on everything she didn't want to tell Eliseo, she just freaking broke down in tears in front of him!

"...what- what about you? Did... did anything happen?" Anastasia asks, calming down a little more. It was an attempt to divert the conversation, but the concern wasn’t fake.
    [Sneaking Out]

Eliseo just stares at her with a bug eyed, horrified look. Her attempt to shift the conversation back to him can't really penetrate his shock. "Are you okay?" He asks lamely. Stupid question, stupid question. Her parents are dead and she's literally robbing people to get by, dumbass. "Maybe my parents can help?" Yeah, they'll know what to do, right?

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Sneaking Out]

”I-I’ve been better... but I could be worse, I guess.” Ana answers a little lamely, her tail curled close to her shins. She wasn’t dead, enslaved or even seriously injured, her home wasn’t destroyed and she still had food and water. There were certainly bright sides, things the kumiho could be grateful for - and reasons to quietly protest if someone took pity on her, though Eliseo seems to be acting out of sympathy rather than pity. Even so, Anastasia can’t help but perk up almost imperceptibly. ”Y-you think so?”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sneaking Out]

"Uh, yeah I think so." Someone's gotta be able to help, right? He sure doesn't know what to do. "How 'bout you come over tomorrow and I can ask them? I just live in that place over there." He points in the direction of the nearby Suncrest Manor.

4. - Top - End - #154

Sneaking Out

A brief look of surprise flits across Anastasia's expression as she looks towards Suncrest Manor. The kumiho hadn't known that Eliseo's family was among the more well-off members of the community, and briefly felt rather thankful that she hadn't chosen his house as her mark. That could have lead to an awkward chain of events. "Okay, I... I can do that." She answers, taking a moment to collect herself before she begins to leave with cautious steps and glances towards one of the darkened windows. A couple seconds in however, Anastasia pauses to turn back to Eliseo. "Hey, um... thanks."

Seeking Help

Eliseo won't have to wait long the next day; the midmorning sun still hangs in the sky when the kitsune finds her way to the gates of Suncrest Manor, the strap of a guitar case slung over her shoulder. She glances around a little apprehensively, feeling a little nervous, before pressing the buzzer by the gate.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

[Sneaking Out]

Eliseo gives her a smile, but not a verbal response. For now he must flee the awkwardness.

[Seeking Help]

There's a moment of delay, but then a voice crackles through a speaker near the button. "Oh, hey Anastasia. Uh, come on in." A buzz sounds and the gate swings open.

She walks through a courtyard over a cobbled path. She makes her way past the well maintained lawn and shrubbery to the mansion. The structure is modest... as far as mansions go. The impressive two story structure is a clear display of wealth.

As soon as she reaches the door, it swings open to reveal Eliseo standing there. "Heeey. So... come inside." He steps back to let her come into the lofty foyer.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    [Eastside -Mayor office - Phone]

Mia is a bit confused, she can hear out that it is the same voice. This means either it is one person and just tricking they are two or there are two people with identicall voice.
    "Hello, I'm Mia Mechanicus from the DMside district." she says, not hiding that shee is confsed.. "As I sad I'm calling to make an offer about reconstructins. Would you be intressed in that? As for the conditions I guess we can offer a relative low price, which should be no big deal to pay even in these times."
    Well, Miss Mechanus, I have already reached a tentative agreement with another group to work on rebuilding, however, it is a big job and we could use all the help we can get, so as long as your people are willing to work with others, I see no issue.

Would you like to come into my office to settle the details?

Pony Felandria by Dirtytabs, OOTS Avvie by Purple Eagle, Doll by Recaiden
    FelandriaDeadra Blackfyre

7. - Top - End - #157

Seeking Help

The young musician follows the provided pathway, taking in the scenery with a bit of a far-off gaze. This... well, just being here felt really weird. Like it didn't seem real, even if she may have laid eyes upon places like this a few times in the past couple of days. Maybe it was the fact that she was actually there this time...

Which brings us to the other reason Anastasia felt so odd; she had a strong sense that she just didn't belong in a place like this, like she was intruding into somewhere not meant for her kind. It's probably fairly noticeable in the lapse before Anastasia's eyes turn from the lofty sights to Eliseo himself, and the slightly preoccupied way she responds. "Hey... I, uh... I hope you don't mind that I brought this?" She asks, indicating the guitar with a slight lift of the strap as she finally manages to pull her eyes away from the scenery.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

8. - Top - End - #158
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Northside - Fourth Tower Compound]
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    The book appears to be written like a journal, with dates and times at the top of every page. Yet it's also partly written in what appears to be some kind of code.
    Each date starts with what is titled PREPARATIONS, which is often summarized by a single word or two such as "Alpha two" and "Beta Omega", some times with small scribbles such as "testing type 4 containment" or "one member was sick, performing it with four".
    Then there are the results which are more descriptive, while still making references to code-words. It sounds like all communication with the yu-seeds went through proxies. Various entities, notably sinccubi and different types of animal and plant spirits, always spoke for them with varying results. It appears that the demands were always in the form of "unknown genetic material" and sometimes to take more tiefling children into their compound. But while they could take in a tiefling or two, there was no new genetic matter they could give them, nor meet any of the RESTRICTED demands which seem to be redacted from all the journal entries.

There are notes about how slow and mostly unfruitful all the encounters with the yu-seeds have been. A theory is put fourth that the yu-seeds are in a state of inactivity and suggestions that they should attempt to track yu-seed activity as well as finding their physical locations. There is no response to these suggestions.

Do they continue reading for anything specific or stop?

"Yes, perhaps you will be. Admittedly, we know very little about your kind other than that you hate demons. Is there any specific reason for that?"
    They look for examples of what warlocks have gotten from the yu-seeds. Françoise smiles at the list of demands. Unknown genetic material? That shouldn't be hard. And they asked for something else? What could that have been?
    But the most interesting is the idea to track down their physical location.

"We could even stand to know our own kind better."
    "I'm sure there is. Generally, they misuse their power, but the details aren't my business."

They point out the note about tracking and following the seeds.
    "What is this about? Recent, or a bad idea?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

[Northside Hospital - Pre-Invasion]

Nike nods eagerly at the two. "Of course, of course. I'll provide anything you need." She promises with a wide smile. "Just head to... ah, room D214 should be free at the moment, its just straight forward and around the first corner. You can't miss it. Just call if you need anything."

As she turns to Zhareen and Vax to deal with them, the merfolk actually gives her a quick hug. "Thank you all, it was great meeting such a nice group of people as you are!" Zhareen claims as she moves on to hug both Tori and Nigel in turn. "It's good to know the injured of Riverside are in good hands."

"Umm, thanks." Nike replies, awkwardly standing in place as if she was frozen, not quite daring to hug Zhareen's enormous scaled body back.

Tori gladly returns the hug from Zhareen. "Thank you." She says to Vax and Zhareen. "And thank you." She says to Nike. "Should we go? Or do you want to get a coffee or something first?" The half-fiend asks Nigel. The cafeteria shouldn't be too hard to find.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

10. - Top - End - #160

[Eventide Manor]

"Then, I assume you have plan for how this 'closer relationship' would work? There is law enforcement but also general keeping of the order. How would MERC deal with protests for instance? Not to mention the nobles that consider it a breach of contact for you to leave the city during the invasion." He raises his hand as if to interrupt Kirk before he even has a chance to say anything. "And I know you are going to argue it, but I'm on your side here. It's them you have to convince. The same people that decided to make this a throne room." Ryhe gestures at the throne. "I need more details here mister Locke, I want to know how MERC is planning to deal with the problems we're facing."

"You're free to do as you please now. The cafeteria is just by the main entrance, there are signs so you can't miss it." Nike confirms. "I'll send you the confirmation paperwork as soon as possible, once you signed it all you will be official employees."

Zhareen grins and claps her hands. "So exciting!" But then she turns to glance at Vax. "But I guess we do need to get going. Don't hesitate to give us a call if you need more help though! We're always happy to." Or at least she was.

Zula peers at the journal entry. "Bad. Simply not practical. From what little we know, the yu-seeds are all located in the abyssal trenches of the ocean or deep underground, dreaming." She shakes her head. "Even if you did send an expedition down there, what exactly were they hoping to achieve? Never poke a sleeping tiger."

As for things they have gained, it seems like it has largely dependent on the proxy that has been used to speak for the seeds. However, it has always involved living things. A warlock was granted the power to turn into a vulture by a spirit representing that species while another warlock was granted limited control of diseases by such a spirit through the power of the seeds. There is a small blurb in one entry that theorize that the seeds have the power to completely reshape both souls and matter but that they can only do it across a extremely long period of time. Thus why they use proxies which can somehow circumvent this limitation. A theory that is supported by "interviews" with the proxy-spirits.

Seeking Help

As it's still before noon, Eliseo will know that mom #2 should still be in bed. Either sleeping, playing some game or... things one better not think about.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-02-05 at 08:49 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

Northside Hospital - Pre-Invasion

Nigel considers the question, apparently deep in thought. Yeah, ok, I really need the coffee, even hospital coffee. He eventually assents. It's probably gonna be all bitter and gross too. I'll get those back to you as soon as I can. He tells Nike over his shoulder as he heads toward the door to track down the cafeteria.

Well, that certainly was something huh? He says to Tori once they're out of the office.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Seeking Help

The young musician follows the provided pathway, taking in the scenery with a bit of a far-off gaze. This... well, just being here felt really weird. Like it didn't seem real, even if she may have laid eyes upon places like this a few times in the past couple of days. Maybe it was the fact that she was actually there this time...

Which brings us to the other reason Anastasia felt so odd; she had a strong sense that she just didn't belong in a place like this, like she was intruding into somewhere not meant for her kind. It's probably fairly noticeable in the lapse before Anastasia's eyes turn from the lofty sights to Eliseo himself, and the slightly preoccupied way she responds. "Hey... I, uh... I hope you don't mind that I brought this?" She asks, indicating the guitar with a slight lift of the strap as she finally manages to pull her eyes away from the scenery.
    [Seeking Help]

"Nah, that's fine." Eliseo puts his hands in his pockets and shuffles his fee a bit. "So you play, huh? I never knew that. That's sick." He makes no move to leave the foyer yet. Shoot, should he offer her something? He doesn't usually have people over.

[Eventide Manor]

"Then, I assume you have plan for how this 'closer relationship' would work? There is law enforcement but also general keeping of the order. How would MERC deal with protests for instance? Not to mention the nobles that consider it a breach of contact for you to leave the city during the invasion." He raises his hand as if to interrupt Kirk before he even has a chance to say anything. "And I know you are going to argue it, but I'm on your side here. It's them you have to convince. The same people that decided to make this a throne room." Ryhe gestures at the throne. "I need more details here mister Locke, I want to know how MERC is planning to deal with the problems we're facing."
    [Eventide Manor]

Kirk opens his arms. "You would continue to be our employer. Our work for you would be determined by what you ask of us. Of course Merc has certain professional standards to uphold, but you're already familiar with that. There aren't surprises or gotchas here."

"As for the complaining parties." Kirk waves his hand dismissively. "I'd be more than happy to go over our previous contract with them again. Perhaps they could point out the breach for me. I recalled our agreement being to keep the peace. To protect and serve. And I don't remember any clauses accounting for the... extreme condition, you could say. I'd hope you could help us clarify the terms of our employment with those that have apparently misunderstood."

13. - Top - End - #163

Seeking Help

The kumiho brightens somewhat as her guitar is mentioned, happy to have some familiar topic to discuss. ”Yeah, I’ve been playing for, like, a few years now. I’m- I’m not super good, play more of the slow stuff, but I can play more than Smoke on the Water at least.” she attempts to joke. ”M-maybe I could... I dunno, like, teach you sometime?” It’s a suggestion Anastasia immediately regrets - she’s no savant, and doesn’t know the first thing about teaching! Any lessons she gave probably wouldn’t be good.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

"Strangest job interview I've ever been through." Tori confirms. "I've mostly worked for family, though. Nepotism ho!" She says with a laugh. The half-fiend will turn towards the cafeteria when they reach the right intersection of hallways. "Some food might do you some good, too. Magic takes a lot of energy out of you." She suggests.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

15. - Top - End - #165

Quote Originally Posted by Felandria View Post
    Well, Miss Mechanus, I have already reached a tentative agreement with another group to work on rebuilding, however, it is a big job and we could use all the help we can get, so as long as your people are willing to work with others, I see no issue.

Would you like to come into my office to settle the details?
    [Eastside -Mayor office - Phone]

"Normaly this shouldn't be an issue for us. I suggest you also contact them" Mia replies. "I sure can find the time. When would be best for you?"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

16. - Top - End - #166

Zula peers at the journal entry. "Bad. Simply not practical. From what little we know, the yu-seeds are all located in the abyssal trenches of the ocean or deep underground, dreaming." She shakes her head. "Even if you did send an expedition down there, what exactly were they hoping to achieve? Never poke a sleeping tiger."

As for things they have gained, it seems like it has largely dependent on the proxy that has been used to speak for the seeds. However, it has always involved living things. A warlock was granted the power to turn into a vulture by a spirit representing that species while another warlock was granted limited control of diseases by such a spirit through the power of the seeds. There is a small blurb in one entry that theorize that the seeds have the power to completely reshape both souls and matter but that they can only do it across a extremely long period of time. Thus why they use proxies which can somehow circumvent this limitation. A theory that is supported by "interviews" with the proxy-spirits.
    Reshaping souls - it seems the seeds have some real power. Not that Françoise believes there's such a thing as a soul, but anything that would be described that way; that's interesting.

"Better communication in the flesh than through a proxy, probably. But the bottom of the ocean..." There weren't any oceans where the angels came from. It would certainly be troubling to get down there. Deep underground - if only they still had proper transports!

"How do we start?" asks the phone.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking Help]

"I already kinda know how to play. I mean, I'm taking lessons." Eliseo rubs the back of his head. "They're pretty boring, though. I just want to play you know? My teacher won't even tell me how long it'll be until I can play some real music."

18. - Top - End - #168

Seeking Help

Anastasia nods sympathetically. "I know, right? I-it was so annoying having to memorize all those scales and chords... but it's nice when you, like, want to write your own music." She thinks for a second, tail swaying gently. "I-is... is there somewhere we could sit down, or something?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

19. - Top - End - #169

"To contact the yu-seeds? Well, first off all we need to find a proxy. I do believe there are some sinccubi around the nexus, those are potential proxies, but we'll have to ask around first." Zula pauses. "Do your kind sleep and dream? Sinccubi travel through the world of dreams of the waking realm. That's the only way to reach them."

[Eventide Manor]

"Oh you don't want that, believe me. Let me just tell them what you told me, I have to 'translate'. They only speak noble, see? Or that's what I call it at any rate. Ahem. There is something you could do that is sure to get you on their good graces however. There is a notorious blackmailer that have been plaguing them for a while now. If you could deal with them discreetly, the foundation of a good relationship would be secured. Otherwise I believe we would be on shaky grounds."

20. - Top - End - #170

Default [Northside - Fourth Tower Compound]

"I think I may be different enough not to need a proxy. But yes, my strain can dream." Not all of the angels can. Nearly all of them sleep, but most aren't complicated enough to have dreams.

"Not tired yet."
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-02-19 at 02:35 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #171

I guess it does? I dunno I didn't really do anything. Nigel says as they enter the cafeteria. You want anything? He asks her, heading toward the counter.

Show

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eventide Manor]

"Extortion is a crime. I can't see why that'd be a problem." Kirk says with a knowing smile. "Consider the problem dealt with. You talk with the nobles and we'll make this task a top priority."

[Seeking Help]

"Uh, yeah right. Over here." Eliseo leads the way out of the foyer and intro a large living room. He moves over to a couch and a couple chairs in front of the TV. The TV is playing some action movie, but it's muted right now. He sits down on the end of one couch, leaving Anastasia to pick her own seating. "You want something to drink? I can get you a can of pop or something?"
    Last edited by Gullara; 2019-02-24 at 09:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Seeking Help

"No, I'm okay, thanks. I-I've been on my feet for a couple hours, is all." Anastasia explains as she follows in, taking a seat with visible relief. She takes a second to take in the surroundings, still a little unused to the relatively more lavish scenery, before continuing the conversation.
    "So, uh... what sorta music do you like?" She asks, brushing a strand of ruddy hair behind her ear as she sets her guitar case to lean against the wall.
    Last edited by Arkhosia; 2019-02-17 at 07:44 PM.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

[Northside Hospital- Pre-Invasion]

"I could eat." Tori admits. But this being a hospital, she would be picky about what she chose off the line. Fresh fruit was usually safe, and anything pre-packaged. It wouldn't result in the healthiest meal, but the half-fiend had inherited her mother's metabolism, and could eat just about anything without gaining an ounce. "I'll get your stuff too, Nigel. If I recall correctly you got dumped here without a wallet, basically."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

25. - Top - End - #175

Ah, hell, right. I'll get you back later alright? Nigel says with a frown. What's cheap... I'll snag a banana bread and a small cap. He tells her. And I'll get us a table.

Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

"Sure." Tori agrees, piling the food on a tray. She'll go through the checkout in short order, and come back to Nigel when he's found a table.

"Here you go. Eat up." She says with a grin.

For her part Tori's gotten some cereal, with bottled milk, and some fruit and yogurt. She also grabbed a banana bread too. Stuff looked good. Guess it's breakfast time, here.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel

27. - Top - End - #177

Thank you thank you thank you. Nigel says, accepting his coffee with reverence. He takes a blissful sip, visibly relaxes, and sighs. Jesus they burnt the tar out of it. He says with a laugh. Alright, so. Plan. We'll schedule you in for something soonish, do the first surgery, hopefully we can run the next couple through in the next couple of weeks. He pauses to think. Should only be another couple. We'll see after I root around in there. He unpeels the gladwrap from his banana bread and tucks in to let Tori speak.

Show

28. - Top - End - #178

[Terrific Elf Relief Shelter]

"No!" the elf screams. "You fiend, stop!"

And then with near impossible grace, they leap to their feet and flee!

Right on out the door.

Probably to go collect some other elfs.

And to leave the hammer gal at the necromancer's mercy.

Rude.

But then again, that's what the hammer wielder was going to do, wasn't it?

Expect for the getting help part. It sounded like she wasn't going to do that.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Orc in the Playground

Terrific Elf Relief Shelter

Elimnae stands up, glaring at hammer-girl. "You interfered. This would have been a clean kill, nice and easy. Now... Now it's gone to get friends, and I should kill you." She considers her options, before grabbing her athame and trying to stab her. The knife's enchanted, if it kills it traps the soul. There's a soul already in there; a female cleric who had been a vampire and led a refugee train from the city during the recent invasion.

If the steampunk warrior dies, Elimnae wants to slice free a foot square of skin, but she doesn't really have time, so she'll leave the body be and try to flee.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Terrific Elf Relief Shelter

Laura twists away from the stab, but the blade slashes across the bluish metal chestplate of her armor. She looks at the deep gouge that results in surprise. "I've killed dozens of your kind, Thaumaturge. What's one more?" She points at Elimnae with her left arm and a jet of burning gasoline spews from a nozzle on her forearm.
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters