New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Riverside 20: Another day, another disaster

Terrific Elf Relief Shelter

"A witch-hunter? And you think I'm the dangerous witch here? You could at le-AARGH!" Whatever the necromancer apprentice was trying to say is interrupted by a gout of flame cascading over her. Her withered arm refuses to burn, but Elimnae screams and falls down, rolling desperately to try and douse the petrol or at least spread it around.

This distracts her, at the least, if Laura wants to run, or maybe pull out a different weapon to use. Her withered arm, incidentally, isn't burning- the magic animating it seems to protect it, at least a little, from the flames.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Northside Hospital - Pre-Invasion

Thank you thank you thank you. Nigel says, accepting his coffee with reverence. He takes a blissful sip, visibly relaxes, and sighs. Jesus they burnt the tar out of it. He says with a laugh. Alright, so. Plan. We'll schedule you in for something soonish, do the first surgery, hopefully we can run the next couple through in the next couple of weeks. He pauses to think. Should only be another couple. We'll see after I root around in there. He unpeels the gladwrap from his banana bread and tucks in to let Tori speak.
    [Northside Hospital - Pre-Invasion]

"Will it be very invasive?" Tori asks, concerned. "How long do you think it will take to recover?"
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Seeking Help

"No, I'm okay, thanks. I-I've been on my feet for a couple hours, is all." Anastasia explains as she follows in, taking a seat with visible relief. She takes a second to take in the surroundings, still a little unused to the relatively more lavish scenery, before continuing the conversation.
    "So, uh... what sorta music do you like?" She asks, brushing a strand of ruddy hair behind her ear as she sets her guitar case to lean against the wall.
    [Seeking Help]

"Punk rock mostly. It's the only music that really gets me, you know?" Eliseo combs his fingers through his longish hair and pushes it to the side. "I wanna play the music too, though, but that teach of mine is holding me back."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeking Help

"M-my music tastes are a little more boring, I'm afraid." Anastasia admits somewhat bashfully, nodding. "I like the, uh, slower stuff; usually country, folk, western. Something to, uh, set my mind at ease, I guess." She could understand Eliseo's preference, though. Music was a wonderful way to vent out those emotions, and it was true with her own songs to some extent. It's just that for her it was more fear and worry, rather than anger and anxiety.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Barbarian in the Playground

So uh... yeah, look. So I'm not futzing about in your organs or whatever, but bones can be tricky, and the magic messed stuff up pretty bad. He pauses to take another bite of bread. First steps is gonna be a lot of looking around and prepping. I'll try and clean up whatever I can, we'll leave you in a brace or something until the next surgery. Then I'll do the major surgery with all the pins and such, then cleaning up. My expectation is it's gonna be 2 to 3 months. He eventually settles on, reluctantly drinking some coffee.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

[Northside Hospital - Pre-Invasion]

Victoria's face falls, but she quickly gathers herself. "I suppose that's better than I could have ever hoped for." She sighs. "Magical healing makes everything seem so fast, everything else is slow in comparison."
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

7. - Top - End - #187

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "I think I may be different enough not to need a proxy. But yes, my strain can dream." Not all of the angels can. Nearly all of them sleep, but most aren't complicated enough to have dreams.

"Not tired yet."
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulaghar View Post
    [Eventide Manor]

"Extortion is a crime. I can't see why that'd be a problem." Kirk says with a knowing smile. "Consider the problem dealt with. You talk with the nobles and we'll make this task a top priority."
    [Eventide Manor]

"Excellent, I don't have to tell you that this must be dealt with out of the public eye of course. Indeed, it would be preferable if this person wasn't charged at all. Just... stopped being a problem. I'm sure MERC have more than one way to arrange that. If this is dealt with in a satisfactory manner, I'll make sure persons of your interest will learn of it. Persons with a great deal of money to spend." Ryhe promises.

[Northside - Fourth Tower Compound]

"The proxies are necessary either way, or so we believe. But either way, some of the proxies can only be reached through dreams. So as we look for one to contact, keep in mind that dreaming might be necessary to reach them. There should be a few entries at the end describing that." Zula explains with a gesture at the book.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-02-24 at 05:32 AM.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

[Eventide Manor]

"Send me the information and I'll see that it's done." Kirk agrees, extending his hand to shake.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Northside - Fourth Tower Compound]

An entity that can only be reached through dreams sounds like quite a poor entity indeed, to Françoise.
    But if they must, they must.

"Interesting. Complicated. Odd limits."
    They, of course, flip to the end of the book to read up on the entries regarding dreams.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeking Help

"M-my music tastes are a little more boring, I'm afraid." Anastasia admits somewhat bashfully, nodding. "I like the, uh, slower stuff; usually country, folk, western. Something to, uh, set my mind at ease, I guess." She could understand Eliseo's preference, though. Music was a wonderful way to vent out those emotions, and it was true with her own songs to some extent. It's just that for her it was more fear and worry, rather than anger and anxiety.
    [Seeking Help]

"Oh man, sounds like the sorta thing my mom would listen to." Eliseo flops his head to the side dramatically. "I can't do it. It's so slow. I'll fall asleep."

11. - Top - End - #191

Seeking Help

"I-it's not all really soft and boring, and some- some have pretty quick strum patterns or heavy riffs." The kumiho attempts to defend her musical tastes, but it comes out more like an apology than anything else. After a moment's pause, she offers a little tentatively, "Maybe- Maybe I could show you what I mean?" Her hand moves to the guitar case to accentuate her meaning.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

12. - Top - End - #192

"There are other beings which don't require dreams to contact if you think that would be easier. They might be harder to find in this world however. Or so we assumed at least, no attempts have been made to find them as I'm frankly not sure where to look." Zula remarks.

The entries near the end details accounts of attempts trying out what is described as a "revolutionary new method" that was learned from "C45". The method involve a ritual which involve putting a warlock to sleep. Through the dreams the warlock will be able to reach all manner of entities without having to learn of their specific calling ritual first.

In particular there a number of entities which only can be reached through dreams, such as the sinccubi. Dream fey that commoners have had detailed encounters with (for further details see Majiaks dream encounters and A disapproval of demons) which the tower previously never had been able to recreate before. The sinccubi in particular wishes to reproduce through mortals, thus their deals were easy to fulfill provided there was the want and need for it among the members.

[Eventide Manor]

The vampire lord extends his armored hand and takes a firm grip around Kirk's as he shakes it. "An agreement has been reached then. I wish you good luck, mr. Locke. May all our future ambitions bear fruition."

13. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nigel stops eating for a second to reflect. Actually, that's a point. Might be able to use healing magic to speed up recovery. His brow furrows and he bites his lip. So how's it actually like... work. He asks Tori. You know magic right Tori? Nigel... Nigel doesn't know magic. He is working in the dark here.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    "There are other beings which don't require dreams to contact if you think that would be easier. They might be harder to find in this world however. Or so we assumed at least, no attempts have been made to find them as I'm frankly not sure where to look." Zula remarks.

The entries near the end details accounts of attempts trying out what is described as a "revolutionary new method" that was learned from "C45". The method involve a ritual which involve putting a warlock to sleep. Through the dreams the warlock will be able to reach all manner of entities without having to learn of their specific calling ritual first.

In particular there a number of entities which only can be reached through dreams, such as the sinccubi. Dream fey that commoners have had detailed encounters with (for further details see Majiaks dream encounters and A disapproval of demons) which the tower previously never had been able to recreate before. The sinccubi in particular wishes to reproduce through mortals, thus their deals were easy to fulfill provided there was the want and need for it among the members.
    "What can you tell about these other entities? Maybe- I can find one, although it can't be too much of a priority."
    Françoise smiles. Which might not seem so friendly given their teeth. A poor reflex. Then the new member starts looking for the two listed books that might have more information on the sinccubi. It can't hurt to be prepared, and they like reading.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2019-03-05 at 10:22 AM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeking Help

"I-it's not all really soft and boring, and some- some have pretty quick strum patterns or heavy riffs." The kumiho attempts to defend her musical tastes, but it comes out more like an apology than anything else. After a moment's pause, she offers a little tentatively, "Maybe- Maybe I could show you what I mean?" Her hand moves to the guitar case to accentuate her meaning.
    [Seeking Help]

"I mean, you could. Why not?" Eliseo says with an easy shrug. "Pretty sure you have me beat for actual talent, so you probably win this disagreement." He laughs a little bit.

16. - Top - End - #196

Seeking Help - Musical Interlude?

"I-I wouldn't say it's talent, just lots and lots of practice," the kumiho responds with a smile, before gently retrieving her guitar case. Slipping the latches open, she removes a well-cared for wood acoustic, the glossy sheen nevertheless faded and slightly dented in a few spots, before grabbing a pick from a pocket within the case. Eliseo might note that she plays left-handed.

Anastasia’s hand paused as the pick lifted above the strings, and her eyes closed as he drew in a deep breath, steeling his nerves… Then her hand descended, and a melancholy chord reverberated through the room. Her voice soon followed, the melodic hint that clung to it emerging in a serious and reflective tone.

“I’m just a poor, wayfaring stranger.
    Traveling through this world below
    There is no sickness, no toil, nor danger
    In that bright land to which I go”

The slight tremble in Ana’s voice was gone now. Her fingers danced across the fretboard as if entranced, and the acoustic melody brightened slightly as her voice swelled with a sense of hope and longing, before the solemn tone returned once more.

“I’m going there, to see my mother,
    She said she’d meet me, when I come.
    I’m just a’ going, over Jordan
    I’m just a’ going, over home.”

And just as the solemn tone returned, it grew. Anastasia’s strums grew heavier-handed, and she leaned closer, her delicate brow furrowing… before the graveness ebbed once more, and the hope and longing flowed.

“I know dark clouds, will gather round me,
    I know my way is rough and steep
    But beauteous fields, lie just before me.
    Where God’s redeemed, their vigils keep.

I’m going there, to see my father
    I’m going there, no more to roam
    So I’m just going, over Jordan
    I’m just going, over home.

Oh, just going, over Jordan
    I’m just going, over home….”

Her voice trailed and the strings softened. Soon, the last note was left to hang in silent air, and it was only once that too had faded that Anastasia let go of a breath that she hadn’t realized she was holding. Her eyes slowly opened again and her fragile form relaxed, before turning towards Eliseo with a nervous and shy smile.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking Help]

"Wow, um that was really good." Eliseo says, a bit shocked. She does have some serious talent. "You never said you could sing too. You must practice a tonne, geez."
    Last edited by Gullara; 2019-03-17 at 07:29 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198

"They differ far too much for me far too much for me to be able to describe them all. They are always fey however, spirits with a ego of their own. Always a mix of a animal of some sort. Usually keep themselves away from civilization, but there are exceptions. If you are interested, I could always share some leads we have regarding them if you don't like the idea of dream walking. It does expose you unusual things. Nearly everyone that have communicated with the sinccubi, who I might add are also fey, have also reported sexual experiences. Ah, nothing you are alien to I hope?" Zula raises an eyebrow as she looks at him.

[Seeking Help]

The two might be interrupted as they hear someone walking down the stairs. "Kid, what the **** are you doing?" They hear someone call out from upstairs. "I'm coming down so you better not be in your underwear!" She may or may not be however.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2019-03-17 at 07:32 PM.

19. - Top - End - #199

The new member nods as they look through the books.
    "I'll try dream walking, but it couldn't hurt to have the leads as well. Maybe that could lead to a more advantageous deal with the yu-seeds in the end."
    At Zula's last question, Françoise blushes, face turning a brighter orange, although their voice stays even.
    "That isn't my function. I wouldn't know anything about it."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #200

Seeking Help

"I-it's not entirely skill, I kinda, uh, cheat a bit..." Anastasia protests a little bashfully, before catching herself. No one likes being a downer and shooting down compliments like that. "Sorry, uh, thank you. I play a lot, and I - um, I busk sometimes too."

And then Irena calls down all of a sudden, startling the kumiho something fierce. Retreating reflexively closer to Eliseo as her tail bristles and curls closer around her, she looks a little spooked for a second before suddenly glowing red in embarrassment and attempting to save face. "S-sorry - um, is that - is that your mom?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking Help]

"Ugh." Eliseo wipes his hand over his face. "Yeah one of them. Was kinda hoping Nadia would come home before she woke up." Irena isn't exactly... tactful. At all. "That's literally never happened, mom." He yells in complaint up at her.

22. - Top - End - #202

[Seeking Help]

"Pretty sure it happened at least once!" Irena calls back as she descends the staircase.
    To her credit, she is wearing sweat pants as opposed to only underwear. But no socks however, walking down in a pair of bunny slippers.
    Eyeing Anastasia and then Eliseo, Irena gives them a flat expression. "I think your girlfriend is about to lose consciousness, all blood is going to her head." But suddenly she smiles. "Hey, don't worry about it you two. Eliseo can tell you I always pester him, and I make no exceptions. I just don't mean anything by it." She reaches out to ruffle Eliseo's hair. "So who're you anyway? Someone from school?"

Zula raises her eyebrows in surprise. She had not expect him to blush of all things. "I see... ahem well, sinccubi have a great interest in such emotions so be cautious if you feel uncomfortable about it. They might use it to their advantage."

The books never really go into details on it, but there is a few mentions of "dream intercourse" in relation to their dealings with the sinccubi.

23. - Top - End - #203

Seeking Help

The scrawny young lass looks a little unsure of how to react to Irena in general; frank and animated wasn't exactly her forte. "Uh, yeah, we uh- we used to have a couple classes together." She answers awkwardly, tail curled closely around her.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #204

"I will be on my guard. But I'm sure it won't be a problem."
    Although the voice is calm, Françoise looks like they think it might be a problem.

Not just because of the subject matter being so frankly mentioned here, so vaguely in the texts. They have only foreign dreams on that front.
    But because although it isn't their function, it might be applicable. Françoise is after all unfinished, experimental, unevolved. It's a whole set of concerns they are unprepared for.

Regardless, they are determined to excel!
    "How, and where, should I begin?" they ask Zula, holding tight to what is now becoming a stack of books.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Seeking Help]

"Pretty sure it happened at least once!" Irena calls back as she descends the staircase.
    To her credit, she is wearing sweat pants as opposed to only underwear. But no socks however, walking down in a pair of bunny slippers.
    Eyeing Anastasia and then Eliseo, Irena gives them a flat expression. "I think your girlfriend is about to lose consciousness, all blood is going to her head." But suddenly she smiles. "Hey, don't worry about it you two. Eliseo can tell you I always pester him, and I make no exceptions. I just don't mean anything by it." She reaches out to ruffle Eliseo's hair. "So who're you anyway? Someone from school?"
    Seeking Help

The scrawny young lass looks a little unsure of how to react to Irena in general; frank and animated wasn't exactly her forte. "Uh, yeah, we uh- we used to have a couple classes together." She answers awkwardly, tail curled closely around her.
    [Seeking Help]

Eliseo's eyes just about roll right out of his head, across the room, and out the door. Irena may think she's the cool mom, but she's definitely definitely not. "Her name's Ana. This is Irena." He gestures limply toward each of them. "When's mom supposed to get home?"

26. - Top - End - #206

[Seeking Help]

Irena gives Eliseo a stare. "Kid, I just got up. How the hell would I know? I just know she isn't here. Probably buying groceries or something, you would know better than I." She waves her hand dismissively. "Why are you asking anyway? Want to show off your moms to your girlfriend?" She turns to Ana. "Ana, was it?"

"I'm not sure I can recommend simply go toe to toe with a sinccubi right away. Back during the empire days, they had apprentices like you 'test summon' entities the tower had never worked with before to see if they could be trusted. They were essentially used as guinea pigs, but we certainly don't do that anymore. You will need training, proper training, before I put you up against a entity. Besides reading the notes you need to talk to the people who've had encounters with them and learn the basic rune-words..." She trails off to simply stare at him. "Oh gosh, I don't even know your attunement level." The vanara rubs the back of her head. "I don't suppose you know if your people have a strong or weak connection to spirits? It's commonly know as 'mental resistance' but that name is rather misleading as it doesn't really have anything to do with mental fortitude. Essentially, if you can sense the overnatural your apptitude is high and if you don't, it's low. As a vanara, my apptitude is low which means that I can't sense spirits but I can also shut them out of my mind easier."

27. - Top - End - #207

Seeking Help

The kumiho nods. "Yes, um- Ana. Anastasia Haz'Wehrs, an, uh, pleasure to meet you." She greets as she remembers her manners, and although most of her embarrassment has faded, it's not entirely gone. Whether it's from her lapse in decorum or Irena's attire is anyone's guess. "Erm, sorry for waking you." Despite her awkwardness, Anastasia doesn't attempt to correct being called his girlfriend. She may be a living bundle of nerves and anxiety, but she's bright enough to tell apart genuine misunderstanding from lighthearted ribbing.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

28. - Top - End - #208

That's funny. Françoise is basically here as a guinea pig anyway. This whole warlock thing is the experiment.

"Reading, interviews, rune-words." They list off.
    "Are the runes written or spoken?"

"Attunement must be high. More than most humanoids. Some are higher of course." Their world is rather free of spirits, and it would be better if this one were too, but overnatural sensitivity is why Françoise gets to exist at all.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

[Seeking Help]

Eliseo decides to send a message by throwing a throw pillow at Irena's head. "Maybe if you woke up before lunch you'd know."

30. - Top - End - #210

[Seeking Help]

The pillow hits her in the face and her expression immediately darkens as she grabs the pillow before it even lands on the floor. "Maybe if you stopped being a little ****?" Despite her sentence not exactly being a reply to what Eliseo just said, or anything at all really, she won't let it stop her from throwing back the pillow at him.
    "Geez, it's my house, kiddo. I can be in bed to dinner if I feel like it." Not that Nadia would ever allow that.
    Ana is ignored while Irena let's her emotions flare.

"Written, using the alvar-alphabet, not that it means anything to you yet." Zula explains as she turns around and starts moving along the book case. "I'll show you some examples of it later along with whatever books I can find on the subject." She gestures around the library. "It's all still a mess right now as you can see."