Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Academy's and Graduating Levels

Well, just finished reading homeland again, and I was wondering/guestamating what levels people left that academy's at. I figured that fighters left at around level 8-10 depending on how well they took to the teachers and skills. Priestess were around 7-8, also depending on how well they took to schooling, and also wizards leaving at level 6-8, thinking that they are the most powerful and hardest to learned art.

Just wondering what you think, thoughts and comments welcome, TY in advance.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Academy's and Graduating Levels

I havn't read the book, but for things like this it would depend on your setting. Also I'm not sure what kind of comments you're looking for, but I'm just in the mood to post =)

In my campaign, 20 years in the army would make you a level 3 warrior. Sounds like not much, but when you think of the superhuman level of power this represents compared to a level 1 character, it's reasonable. The most well-trained warriors would be level 3 at most before seeing their first action (Scout lvl3 special forces =).

For an academy-like situation I wouldn't give more than 1 level/year. Maybe 1 for the first, 1 for the next 2, and then another 1 for the next 3 years.
    Last edited by Crow; 2007-09-21 at 10:26 PM.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I havn't read the book, but for things like this it would depend on your setting. Also I'm not sure what kind of comments you're looking for, but I'm just in the mood to post =)

In my campaign, 20 years in the army would make you a level 3 warrior. Sounds like not much, but when you think of the superhuman level of power this represents compared to a level 1 character, it's reasonable. The most well-trained warriors would be level 3 at most before seeing their first action (Scout lvl3 special forces =).

For an academy-like situation I wouldn't give more than 1 level/year. Maybe 1 for the first, 1 for the next 2, and then another 1 for the next 3 years.
    The Academy is - if I'm remembering right - about 10 years in the most cutthroat school ever conceived. It's a place where everyone is ranked by numbers, and it is perfectly acceptable to kill your betters if you can - preferrably by assassination - as long as you can prove it wasn't you or frame someone else for it. In the yearly melees, it's okay to kill people however you like, period. Basically, it's like a more-intense version of daily drow life.

That said, I'd guess most fighters come out of the Academy at around level 5, with geniuses like the iconic Drizzt at 7-8. The wizard and priestess schooling takes 20-30 years, as I recall, so they'd come out perhaps slightly stonger, perhaps not, considering magic is usually harder to acquire than muscles and sword skill.
    Last edited by dyslexicfaser; 2007-09-21 at 10:59 PM.
    People seemed to like this better, but only marginally so - the way one might prefer to be stabbed than shot. Optimally, one isn't stabbed or shot. Optimally, one eats some cake! But there are times when cake is not available, and instead we are destroyed. This is the deep poetry of the universe. -- Tycho Brahe

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Also You must take into acount the level they come in at, seeing as some wizard's/fighters/priestesses come in with some knowledge under their belt. Oh and wizards go for 30 years, and priestesss 50.