New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Epic Tristalt Treadmill (IC)

You are living your life as a champion among champions, when a voice comes to you. There is no tickle at your mind, no static on the voice to indicate an illusion, no shadow of a hidden figure, and yet still the words come, with nobody else seeming able to hear them.

"We've been watching you. Taking our measure of what you can do. Testing you, at times, physically and mentally. You have surpassed all expectations, and possess unlimited potential. You knew this, though. Just as surely, you know that you do not belong here. Oh they may be your subjects, or your comrades, or your public, or your lovers, but they aren't on your level. They can't even begin to understand the opportunities available to you. You also know that you've plateaued: it seems wherever you go, the threats that await you don't really require a being of your stature to defeat. Some lesser being could have been sent to deal with the problem instead. We assure you, this frustration is more familiar to us than you can imagine."

"The universe is full of heroes and monsters and villains and angels and all the many things in between. And an uncountable number of them are powerful - an infinite weaker than you, but also an infinite that are stronger. There is always a problem in need of solving, always a worthy foe to vanquish. But there is not always a hero waiting to solve or vanquish, because...well, even among the infinite of heroes available to rise to the occasion, the infinite that lack more pressing matters is vanishingly small by comparison. People of your stature, your power, your capability will have responsibilities and bonds to match. They run kingdoms and academies, lead armies into battle, spend time with their loved ones. The things most heroes fight to defend, but still wish to partake in themselves."

"You may see this as selfish, to leave the front lines when there's work to be done, or that such things are a waste of time compared to the pursuit of knowledge, or money, or power. We are not here to judge them, or you. We are here to state the simple fact that you are among that vanishingly small infinite who have no such ties. Even among those driven by wanderlust and a yearning for adventure, you are...untethered. Perhaps your desire for power and money and knowledge and position drives stronger than anything else. Perhaps your power is insufficient to accomplish your true goals. Perhaps you think nothing of sacrificing your personal life for the sake of defending civilization. Perhaps you refuse to let lesser threats conquer what you've already claimed for your own and simply lack the power to hold yet."

"We don't care what drives you. We are here to offer you a job. A series of jobs. An endless series of jobs. There is always a threat looming over civilization at any given point, somewhere in the multiverse. Something that needs solving in a very violent fashion. We know you're not opposed to such methods, but if the goal is not suited to you, then we can provide you a selfish reason as well: these threats are great, but the rewards for defeating them are greater still. Each challenge brings with it a tide of gold and knowledge and experience facing foes. You shall drown in your rewards even more than in the blood left in your wake."

"Maybe before you have served this purpose. So will many after you. It may be a small infinite, but there is always another waiting to fulfill such a destiny, and there is always one out there who is getting...burnt out on the endless cycle that their life has become. As before, we do not judge. Your life is yours to live as you please, and if this life does not suit you, there is no punishment for leaving later - or refusing our offer now, for that matter. But we do not think you will refuse, at least at the moment. It's why the offer was made at all."

"It's time to choose. A life as a big fish in a small pond...or shall we throw you at every shark in the sea?"

It's phrased like a choice, but you know what you're like, you know how life is going for you, you know what you want. And whatever else you may want, whatever your reasons are, this is perfect for you. There's only one true option, in your eyes.

"...an excellent and unsurprising choice. I cannot promise you won't be disappointed - you lot always are, sooner or later - but at the very least I hope your interest is kept for some time yet."

With those last words, a small blue gemstone glowing with black light appears before you. It floats towards you, and at first point of contact you're whisked away. You find yourself in an enormous stone arena, likely underground somewhere given the roughhewn stone walls and furnishings. There are several other beings here, of so many different sizes and shapes and colors and looks.

"These are your new allies. They do not necessarily think like you, or fight like you, but you will be a team while working these jobs. You have some time to mingle and talk shop, before your first duty is assigned. Hmm? Oh, enough time, I think. Yes, definitely enough..."

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Epic Tristalt Treadmill (IC)

Puck's eyes immediately begin travelling across the other beings in the arena. From the stature of the mer-scorpion-woman to the air elemental, he makes mental judgements about each and wonders to himself 'Will they confirm my expectations?'

He calmly takes a seat, cross-legged, on the stone floor.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Zane was.....well Zane was being Zane, floating in the aether gale of a snowy peak somewhere away from civilization, he had become bored, and well, this new voice was ringing true on several items, though, they seemed arrogant, and he wasn't a fan of that, but, what did he have to lose? something else that he would get bored of? truly.

He touched the stone floating before him without hesitation.

As he appeared in the stone coliseum, his lip curled, and he floated off the ground, others were here, perhaps they lived up to expectations? He would leave his judgment in reserve for later, for the survivors.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The Half-Giant, if you can call him that, looks small and almost childlike for his race. The Minotaur-Dwarf, on the other hand, is massive for his kind. As they take the offer and are whisked, Helios smiles at the word "allies" and gives his horned friend a slap on the back. "See, friend Burzuk. We have allies who I can ply my magic upon to make them more robust in combat. More targets, one might say." he says with a wild grin on his face as his stoic guard just looks on as he snorts, steam escaping from his nose.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Warden, Bear of Ragnarok

The werebear was picking mushrooms when the voice spoke to him. He growled, swatted at a bee, then sat and listened. When it was finished he nodded and stood up, picking up his waraxe and adjusting his rough, homespun tunic. He licked one great paw and slicked down some matted fur, then nodded to the invisible voice. Realizing maybe it couldn't see, he says "I'm ready to go."

Arriving underground, the great bear scratches at the ground with his paws and sniffs the air. He looks around and takes a moment to take everyone's scent in. "Names Warden." He says in a deep voice, one that sounds more accustomed to growling than speaking. "I do not plan on dying today." He says as he transitions into his Ancient Bear Undying Form Stance, though to the untrained eye it just looks like he slumped down against the wall and sat on the ground, legs splayed out in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stances active: Immortal Fortitude, Aura of Perfect Order.
    Manevuers readied: Strike of Righteous Vitality, Diamond Defense, Iron Heart Surge, Mind over Body, Raging Mongoose, Time Stands Still, Manticore Parry.
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal
    Avatar Image: The Great Wave off Kanagawa by Hokusai; bitmap version by me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

A woman stands in the room, dressed in revealing green robes. Even in the world of epic beauties which all of these people come from, Katarina would stand head and shoulders above most of them. And its not just her physical beauty, but also the confidence with which she carries herself and the warmth she exudes.
    No weapons are visible on her body, but you get the impression that she doesnt rely on that form of offense. Her robes are adorned with sigils, magical you would presume, but of a kind you are not quite familiar with. Its as if she goes beyond the mere depiction of the magic, but into its very nature, its very form...and there are others on her robe that do not seem to speak to magic at all.
    My name is Katarina and by the nature of the way I was summoned, I assume that all of you, like me, are looking for your next big challenge.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Head panning from side to side and gaze stopping briefly on each other person, the vaguely half-dragon being of mithril and dragon scales assesses everyone in turn as it takes a few precise steps closer. Draconic wings folding behind it tightly and slipping under its voluminous gold-trimmed cloak, it reveals the presences of a haversack nestled between its wings. Aside from two expensive looking rings and an unbuttoned vest, it is completely naked. However, the lack of pants does not seem to convern the being, since as far as can be seen, it has no visible gender, and subsequent reproductive organs to hide for decency's sake. It suddenly bows at the waist at a perfect forty-five-degree angle. A growling voice eminates from its metalic head, sounding tinny with a slight vibrato.

"G͓̠̠ͮreeͧ͘ting͔͔̭̕s. My̩̹̍ͩ dē̥̪̲̰ͅsign̓ͬatī҉on īs A̡̟̘ͪlph̛̭̖̫ͅa."

Rising from its precise half-bow, Alpha stands perfectly still. No movement to incidate breathing, no twitch of muscle or limb, and utterly silent.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2020-10-30 at 12:37 AM.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, loses the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nargl was pretty pissed when he trodded along the street, this mage had nerves! He knew the old "Oh no, you're a troll, please don't eat me... HA! FIREBALL!" Routine well enough. He was even slighty burned, despite his protections what seemed like a very good sign for Nargl, perhaps he was even capabable of bringing on a good Show, but with all the good words and all the great rewards this magician refused too be part of the opening act.

But then the gem appeared and it was correct. In many ways. Also the sharks sounded very interesting.

In the Arena appeared a green-grey troll with form-fitting tightly pressed armor on his surprisingly smooth skin. At his side are two slender blades that seemed unfitting for a savage troll. Also unfitting seemed the black and white cat happily napping on the trolls left shoulder.

It was hard to decide which of the other People here to not oogle. The shirtless human had the most impressive muscles Nargl had ever seen. Probably a good idea to ask him for a match sometimes.

But the woman whose beauty transcended mere words was also a sight to behold.

The metal man on the other hand was the greatest jokester around here. Nargle could tell that.

Well it was time to make an introduction, with these strange and complicated beings around it was best to fall back to the classics. A surprisingly soft and well-spoken voice raised out of the mouth of the troll.

Hello, I'm Nargl. And? Do you come here often?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Mirov Adamianuri

Two who'll live, five who'll have to die. Not ideal, but not bad. Mirov was pleasantly surprised at how many of his assistants from across the worlds were Humans, very pleasantly surprised in Katarina's case.

Mirov is a mathematically perfectly proportioned man with black hair and wearing a tunic and trousers of finest quality, fringed in silver. As he appears, he is magically purging blood of various shades from the clothes and his curved sword. Those with the ability to see intangible beings notice a second figure beside him; a human woman, practically an inferno of invisible magical auras.

"It seems so. Might be nice to punch up instead of down for a change." As he sheathes his blade and takes a seat in a comfortable chair which appears behind him as he reclines. At the dragon-robot's proclamation, the man seems to remember that unlike in his world, these people probably don't already know who he is. "Mirov Adamianuri, a pleasure."

---
    Cast: Prestidigitation
    OS Cast: Minor Creation - Craft (Furniture) to make it "complex" (ie fancy and plush): (d20+41)[61]
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2020-10-30 at 04:03 AM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

10. - Top - End - #10

WolfInSheepsClothing

The disciple did not have much to offer, least of all impressive appearances. In fact, they did not have much to offer in the way of appearances at all. "IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAVE A PERMANENT INCREASE TO YOUR CAPABILITIES, OBJECT NOW", comes a voice, seemingly from nowhere - you can just about place it, but no-one's there, irrespective of your own abilities to see the unseen.

Assuming nobody objects, everyone quickly becomes subjected to what would seem to be a barrage of nonsense, but presumably has some power to it as you notice yourself and your equipment becoming... a little translucent around the edges? The effect appears to last for as long as you hold or wear it.

Spoiler: Utterance
    Show
    Everyone can now use all their equipment normally against incorporeal enemies. This includes any spell effect producing items or even splash weapons that you use, so long as they're definitely part of your equipment, and if you grab new equipment, it affects that too. The effect can't be dispelled or anything, either - it's just there now.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Slowly floating around, his form as ethereal as the wind, he seemed to be pushed and pulled by invisible currents in the air, that or he was restless, and moving was helping him in his agitated state, he narrowed his eyes as the newcomers introduced themselves, he always loathed meeting new people, the introductions always seemed so forced, and 'standard'. It wasn't him, they would know who he is.

With that, he untied the bag at this belt, and 3 air Mephits zipped out, their demeanor changed instantly as their master was releasing them, a visible devotion spread upon them, sheer joy at being near him, they zoomed about the area, looking at the new place they were in, inspecting the ground, cracks, and air, as if curious children.

"I am Zane, the 13th....oh it doesn't matter, Zane will do." he sighs, he didn't want to impress anyone, and doubted they would be anyway, so what was the bother?

"I wander what the first shark will be? Perhaps it is this awkward introduction we are being forced into?" he says sardonically, with mirth in his eyes.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    The disciple did not have much to offer, least of all impressive appearances. In fact, they did not have much to offer in the way of appearances at all. "IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO HAVE A PERMANENT INCREASE TO YOUR CAPABILITIES, OBJECT NOW", comes a voice, seemingly from nowhere - you can just about place it, but no-one's there, irrespective of your own abilities to see the unseen.
    I thank you for this spell, but in future, please tell me in advance what you are planning, if only for the fact that I need to lower my resistance
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Mirov Adamianuri

"I'll admit, it's been a long time since I had to introduce myself to anyone. Maybe that smug voice from the jewel is reacclimatising us to the social niceties of being amongst.....peers."
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Zane nods, "indeed, it has been....a long time." he intones, as he lazily floats to the side, as if he were not in control of his movement.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

15. - Top - End - #15

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    I thank you for this spell, but in future, please tell me in advance what you are planning, if only for the fact that I need to lower my resistance
    "THIS BOOST TO YOUR CAPABILITIES IS NOT A SPELL, AND SO RESISTANCE TO SPELLS HAS MINIMAL EFFECT WHICH I CAN, UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES, BYPASS WITHOUT ISSUE." You could almost swear that the seemingly-disembodied voice seems a little smug, as though being able to bypass standard protections against magic were part of the disciple's schtick - which it probably is.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Great power doesnt cut down your chances to socialize, in some respects it can even help
    #GoreMutualarejerks

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"I am Puck Orien, shame of my House. And I have been judged worthy of your company." The hooded man brings up steel-shod hands to uncover his head and remove his mask. A simple human face rests beneath the coverings, few stress lines marring otherwise average looks. "I look forward to learning how best to work with each of you. For our greater victories, of course."

18. - Top - End - #18

Warden, Bear of Ragnarok

"Got these arm mittens that do the same thing." Warden says. He waves his axe around anyway to see if there's any difference he can feel. "Sharks...do you think they actually meant sharks? I can hold my breath for awhile, but maybe one of you mages knows a ward for breathable air or can have us grow fish-elf gills or transport the ocean back to it's elemental plane?"
    "We have sent many to Hell, to smooth our way," said I, "and we are standing yet and holding blades. What more?"- Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

19. - Top - End - #19

Alpha, still completely unmoving emits a low buzz as his tinny growl of a deadpan voice fills the air, slightly too loud for polite conversation. "T̹̗̰̝͓̣͍͢ha͏̘̦̬nk y͇̥ou ͉W̭̠̠̞͝i̢ll thi͏s ̼̘̘̺̫aḅilit̪̮͙y re͚̳ţain fun͙̯̕cti̢͎on͍̯a̘̘͍̼lit̝̥̲y whi̛̟̼͇l̖̣̼̯e u͏nd̫̠͘e͘r p̼̣o̪ly̹̹m͇or͙̺̻̠p̨͉h͉͉̳ͅic eff̡̖̹ͅec̼͙țs͘?̙̩"

Its head rotates quickly to face the group's magical effect benefactor while the rest of its body remains completely still. Two orbs - presumably eyes - stare unblinking. One is the bright swirling blue of churning hellfire, while the other trails the effervescent white light like wisps of snowy vapor usually emitted by powerful holy objects.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2020-10-30 at 10:28 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nargl nodded towards the small cat at his shoulder, who climbed down, using the trolls skin as a possibility to get down. She stretched itself and jawned while Nargl drew his two slender blades and waved them around, letting them taste the air. It didn't seemed different.

Thanks disembodied voice of great power. Nargl try'd to get nearer to the strange voice, while talking. If our first challenge is truly talking to one another I think it already was a good thing I accepted. Or I wouldn't have met you charming fellows.

Nargl smiled bright, especially at Puck and Katharina.

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaemilla had been swimming, when she heard the call. Not the one she was used to, which begged her to save one corner of her plane or another, but one which asked. A curious change of pace.

In the depths of her ocean, the small blue gemstone floated against the currents, as unmoved by her tide as she was by it's request. She waited for more, but nothing came. Was this her chance to do something that finally mattered, in the infinite multiverse of the dead and the dying? Or just another distraction?

Would it matter? Chaemilla thought, clasping the stone as she gated through the planes once more. Arriving at the coliseum, she splashed around the curves of the wall, uncoiling herself onto land as she took in the several other small beings in the center. Her many magics remained interact, dancing around her in their usual reverie, and she was relaxed.

As the small ones spoke, she listened, with a casual Detect Evil to see their ideological make up was rather varied. Not that it mattered, as the worst atrocities can be committed under a flag of any color. She wonders why she still even bothers, perhaps an old relic of a simpler past.

The small magics of the invisible voice add to her own, duplicating a simple effect she had bought many lifetimes ago. This would be interesting. She remains ready to dispel any incoming effect which she determines to be ... More offensive.

"Are we always so disappointed? Perhaps we are, and so we will be." Chaemilla responds, harkening back to the other, smugger, disembodied voice.

"It is a pleasure, meeting others hoping for little more than our own afore-mentioned amusements. Does anyone else thirst, in so dry a place as this?" Chaemilla looked around for alcohols, expecting her usual tributes and finding none to slake her penchant.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Charming, yes. I think that remains to be seen. You don't know me well enough to make that assumption just yet." Puck says with a nod to Nargl.

"You must excuse me, large lady. I swore off alcoholic drinks some time ago. I can't risk the possibility of losing what control I have over myself. " He holds out his arms, "The potential cost is too high."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

So unless I am being too forward, where does everyone's talents lie? To prove my intentions are not false, I will go first, I am a practitioner of arcane and divine arts, although I have learned to bend these spells in unusual ways to increase their power
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #24

Its head rotating once again, this time to look at the large newcomer, Alpha voices its answer. "I do̟̼̐ not͋̋̓ th̖͗ͨ͜irst̨."

Head rotating again to face Katarina. "Arc͗ane magic͗ and Inc͗ȯ͊̍vatiȯ͊̍ns. With̡̬̻ a fȯ͊̍c͗us̉ on..." Its previously unmoving left arm shoots up, pointing metallic palm towards a wall on the other side of the massive arena. Two rapid blasts of roiling energy snap from its palm to strike approximately five hundred feet away, scorching the wall. "...th̡̬̻is̉ invȯ͊̍c͗ation."

Lowering its arm slowly, it resumes its previous unnerving stillness with the rest of its body.
    Last edited by Geeksthenewsexy; 2020-10-31 at 12:50 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Nargl smiles a bit stupidly for a whole while. Even the movement of Chaemilla doesn't snap him out of it. But Katarina's question finally gets a response out of him. Guh? Oh I just dance around and then my adversaries fall down.

Nargl laughs. Some minor tricks too, but I don't think they will play a role. That he was able too fly seemed really unnecessary to even mention.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"I am a magician, of sorts." Helios says with a smile. "I specialize in aiding my allies with protective magic along with incantations to weaken our enemies. Weakening can mean can take many forms, including stripping them of magic and, of course, dropping the occasional iceberg on them. Wee Jas has also been benevolent enough to lend me some small fraction of her divine powers at times. My friend here Burzuk of Barkizhum, my loyal protector, is a priest of Wee Jas. As part of his sect, he has disavowed weapons and armor in favor of greater magic and abilities, which include pummeling our enemies with hands, knees, kicks, and horns." He gives a bow at the waist but keeps his eyes locked on Katarina, a twinkle of mirth in his eyes.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"It may be wisest to consider me a tactical striker, yes. I have found that hunting spellcasters is something that comes easily to me." His smile drops away as he finishes his simple statement, replaced with a very serious expression.

28. - Top - End - #28

Warden, Bear of Ragnarok

"No one else is worried about the sharks? Okay." Warden says and rises to his feet. "I'm really strong. Haven't met many that are stronger." He says after the others have listed their talents. "And I kill monsters with this axe. It's helps me to swing this axe if I'm not dead, so I'm pretty good at staying alive too. No proper magic, though. Never had the patience for spellweaving. I was taught the binding of the phase spider from my grandfather, but everything else is muscle and axe."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"Warden, your prodigious strength is sure to serve us all very well in surviving the terrors I expect we will face. Should there be any sharks, doubly so." Puck walks to Warden and places a metal hand on his shoulder in a show of good faith. He looks around at the lot gathered in the arena once more, "I fear not for any of us, but only for whatever foes we are pit against. They know not what end we bring to them."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Chaemilla laughs at Puck's large lady comment, listening to the others. When Warden reiterates his concern about Sharks, Chaemilla jumps in, "I can help against the monsters of the deep. The water is my natural habitat."

Deciding to offer her services fully, she continues, "I bend things, break things. People, places, magic, destiny... My claws will crush monsters. My spells will rend magic. If we're fortunate, my will may bend fate."

Teleporting beside and around behind Puck, she recalls his earlier words. "Spellcasters are a favorite target of mine, as well. Rending their magics and ending their terrors are enjoyable to me. But mostly, I protect others from them. Those of you that wish to do so may stay near, and I'll bend and break what may come, as I can."